2021-2022 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think they have internal ranking or AOA (but I could be wrong). As of now clinical is p/f and that was due to covid. They are still deciding if clinical will go back to being tiered.
WAIT SERIOUSLY??? Oh my god I would love p/f everything.
On the other side tho that might make it harder to make competitive specialties. As far as I know only Harvard Stanford UCSF and CCLCM are pass/fail everything. And UCLA has a lot of clout, but not quite as much as those first 3, nor the incredibly small class size/uniqueness of CCLCM that makes grading kind of useless.

Members don't see this ad.

On the other side tho that might make it harder to make competitive specialties. As far as I know only Harvard Stanford UCSF and CCLCM are pass/fail everything. And UCLA has a lot of clout, but not quite as much as those first 3, nor the incredibly small class size/uniqueness of CCLCM that makes grading kind of useless.

I believe there was AOA, but like the four tier grading system for clinicals it is currently on hold for the pandemic pending further review.

Hopefully the solid match for the class of 2022 that pretty much did everything P/F encourages admin to leave it that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Piggybacking off what someone else said, I think the match list for the class of 2022 was really good. No, UCLA is no HMS but their students are seriously getting into some great residency programs. And they did it with p/f everything so let's hope admin sees that it is a viable option for the foreseeable future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Piggybacking off what someone else said, I think the match list for the class of 2022 was really good. No, UCLA is no HMS but their students are seriously getting into some great residency programs. And they did it with p/f everything so let's hope admin sees that it is a viable option for the foreseeable future.
The only thing is, a lot of med schools went pass fail due to the pandemic and many will revert (all the schools interviewed at that weren’t t20s, though it’s looking like a lot of t20s are considering or even leaning towards not reverting) so idk if a good match this cycle means it’s gonna be a good practice moving forward.

I know this is a tired question… but has anybody heard about financial aid award letters or Geffen scholarship announcements?

I know this is a tired question… but has anybody heard about financial aid award letters or Geffen scholarship announcements?
I believe UCLA was going to start sending financial aid letters a week or two ago. If you're still waiting to hear back you can always call/email the financial aid office. They seem super happy to help and usually get back to people quickly.

A few of us have been awarded LA Cares or Geffen scholarships already. However, I imagine there are more to give out based on last years thread. I know a few people taken off the waitlist last year were awarded a Geffen scholarship so I assume there are still more scholarships to give out.

I believe UCLA was going to start sending financial aid letters a week or two ago. If you're still waiting to hear back you can always call/email the financial aid office. They seem super happy to help and usually get back to people quickly.

A few of us have been awarded LA Cares or Geffen scholarships already. However, I imagine there are more to give out based on last years thread. I know a few people taken off the waitlist last year were awarded a Geffen scholarship so I assume there are still more scholarships to give out.
Thanks so much for the response! When did you find out about the scholarship? And I assume you found out via a phone call?

Also, just to clarify, you already received your financial aid letter as well?

Thanks so much for the response! When did you find out about the scholarship? And I assume you found out via a phone call?

I found out via a phone call from Dr. Lucero 2 weeks ago and received my provisional award letter the following week.

If you have any more questions or want more specific details feel free to message me.

I found out about about the Geffen ~march 14, and it also included my financial aid letter as well. Idk if others are similar?

Did the "Leaders of Tomorrow Scholars" awards get sent yet or nah? Does anyone know when those go out?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were that friend, I'd lay off those candies for a minimum of a month before matriculation. Perhaps two.
if you use very occasionally, honestly, it can even clear your system in even a week. not from personal experience of course

I asked a current student and they said dgsom doesnt drug test before matriculation

Reactions: 1 users
Does UCLA release waitlist rankings/position? Is there some way to find that out?
You get a "top of the waitlist" distinction in your initial notification but other than that, we cannot find out the rankings.

How was Second Look? Asking for the kids on the WL

DGSOM does not drug test before or during your MS1 year.
Waitlist offers will start to go out on May 1st--they'll clump towards the beginning of May, and then there will always be a few sprinkled throughout May, June, and even July! If you get a waitlist admission offer, we will send you some Second Look recordings and materials, but in the meantime I would def recommend checking out our Youtube channel for lots of vids on student life, housing, etc.
DM with any questions!!
<3

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know when white coat ceremony is?
Sometime in September. It's right at the end of base camp but they said they are still finalizing the calendar for this year

Just got A off the WL. But will be declining. Best of luck everyone.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Just curious, does it include your financial aid package??
I am not sure if they gave WLed peeps an option to fill out financial aid document (I see it now). I think that should be completed before getting any fin aid package. As far as merit scholarships go, I am not sure if it comes before or with the aid package. I didn't get it at least at this point.

Did you have top of the WL in your WL email? Also just out of curiosity, how much time are they giving you to respond to them?
I had the top of the list designation in the initial WL email. Also it seems like they give you 5 days.

A! guys! No top of the waitlist distinction

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
A off WL (with top designation) at 842 via email. They give 15 days to respond. Not sure if I’m accepting or not yet.

A off WL (with top designation) at 942 via email. They give 15 days to respond. Not sure if I’m accepting or not yet.
I know it says 15 days in the email but that is not accurate. After April 30th, accepted applicants only have 5 days.

Α off the waitlist. I am stoked! No top-of-list distinction either. There is hope!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to those who got the A off the WL. When was your interview?

Got the A off the WL today. Top of the list designation, 8:42 AM (PST) receive time, interview date 9/20. Very grateful for my first and only acceptance.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
just BURST into tears at the news. Got the A off WL! No top of the waitlist distinction. Interviewed September. Email 5:40pm.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I was accepted several months ago but I got the Geffen today! I'm really happy for those of you getting the A today and can't wait to meet everyone in a few months! I just wanted to put it out there for those who are still waiting (or those who just got off the waitlist) for scholarships!

• Love
Just got the A!!!!!! No top of the waitlist distinction, as well. I'm feeling so so grateful. I hope more of ya'll receive the good news soon!! Interviewed Sept and accepted at 5:40 pm today.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I was accepted several months ago but I got the Geffen today! I'm really happy for those of you getting the A today and can't wait to meet everyone in a few months! I just wanted to put it out there for those who are still waiting (or those who just got off the waitlist) for scholarships!
Congratulations, this is amazing!

I just got off the waitlist at 5:40 pm PST, no top of list indication in the initial email, interviewed in October. The next step is to drink that 2 yo Moscato I have been saving!

• Love