2021-2022 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who have recently gotten off the waitlist and selected "plan to enroll" at another school, it seems that in order to be eligible for aid we have to select the option to plan to enroll at DGSOM, essentially going against AAMC traffic rules. I want to select it, but I want to know my financial aid package in order to make an informed decision. How are you guys handling the situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a GroupMe or anything for admitted students?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have recently gotten off the waitlist and selected "plan to enroll" at another school, it seems that in order to be eligible for aid we have to select the option to plan to enroll at DGSOM, essentially going against AAMC traffic rules. I want to select it, but I want to know my financial aid package in order to make an informed decision. How are you guys handling the situation?
When I asked about aid, they told me there are loan repayment options that FinAid can help with, and also further institutional loans for low-income students 🤷‍♂️ After thinking through it last night, I will be turning it down.

Reactions: 1 user
When I asked about aid, they told me there are loan repayment options that FinAid can help with, and also further institutional loans for low-income students 🤷‍♂️ After thinking through it last night, I will be turning it down.
Honestly, outside of the Geffen scholarship the financial aid is seemingly abysmal. Many students in the groupme have complained about how skimpy the aid packages are.

Honestly, outside of the Geffen scholarship the financial aid is seemingly abysmal. Many students in the groupme have complained about how skimpy the aid packages are.
See one of my earlier posts about financial aid outside of Geffens!! Totally not abysmal!! And as another poster said, there are also loans with really generous interest rates/repayment options for low-income students. Also if your aid package feels upsettingly small, I HIGHLY recommend emailing the fin aid office to ask for more! I know several students in my class (including myself) who did this and got more aid, especially if they had a better offer somewhere else.

See one of my earlier posts about financial aid outside of Geffens!! Totally not abysmal!! And as another poster said, there are also loans with really generous interest rates/repayment options for low-income students. Also if your aid package feels upsettingly small, I HIGHLY recommend emailing the fin aid office to ask for more! I know several students in my class (including myself) who did this and got more aid, especially if they had a better offer somewhere else.
I appreciate the insight. I did do all that was recommended (asked for more aid, showed them my significantly better offers elsewhere), and I am low-income (EFC less than 100), but was essentially told that they did not have any aid further to give me. And I get it. I'm not a rockstar applicant. I've reconciled that if I want to go to UCLA/Drew (which I do, it's my dream school) I'm just going to have to take on a crap ton of debt, just like the majority of med students.

TLDR: Seeking advice from current DGSOM students! Are you happy you chose UCLA?

Can any current DGSOM students speak to how collaborative your class is? I know the class size is "bigger" than some other schools. Do you find that classmates want to help each other succeed? Is it tight-knit or not really? I've heard other schools' students saying things like, "We all make one study guide together and try to contribute equally!" I got off the WL yesterday (no "top distinction" in email) and am really just trying to get a sense for the community style at DGSOM. Additionally, not to be that person, but how difficult is it to participate in research? Some schools seem to be SUPER open to having med students join labs, others are a bit more picky. Any insight from current students would be great. Thanks!

To those who got off the waitlist, congratulations! Did you write any letters of interest? Are there any who got off the waitlist who didn’t write any letters of interest?

To those who got off the waitlist, congratulations! Did you write any letters of interest? Are there any who got off the waitlist who didn’t write any letters of interest?
Interviewed early September, wrote an update letter end of September, but no letter of interest or anything at all after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote a major update letter March after I presented at an international conference, but no letter of intent/interest.

Did any waitlisted applicants get merit scholarships in their acceptance email?

You all should be getting them in your WL emails potentially. I know some people last year that did. Also, I turned down the Geffen a couple of days ago and I believe that they will either offer that to a person accepted off the waitlist or someone who has already committed to UCLA. Depending on their priorities, it could go to you.

I emailed and they said they review all newly admitted students for the Geffen. So they’re still handing them out!

Reactions: 2 users
To anyone who recently got off the waitlist, have you received any info about the groupme or FB page yet? Idk if I missed it

To anyone who recently got off the waitlist, have you received any info about the groupme or FB page yet? Idk if I missed it
I searched the name on Facebook and requested to be added. I then answered the question about what email the invite was sent to and got added about 24 hours later.

I cannot believe this is happening right now, but I just received the Acceptance off of WL ‼️‼️

Edit: No top of list indication in the WL email, sent an update/letter of interest in December.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
@TurboMD what decision did you ultimately make here/did you learn anything else about how this process works? I also just got in off the waitlist but am PTE at another school with lower COA so am not sure what to do…

I cannot believe this is happening right now, but I just received the Acceptance off of WL ‼️‼️

Edit: No top of list indication in the WL email, sent an update/letter of interest in December.
+1 (no top of list; sent update in early April). The finaid instruction email went to spam

@TurboMD what decision did you ultimately make here/did you learn anything else about how this process works? I also just got in off the waitlist but am PTE at another school with lower COA so am not sure what to do…
I'm also confused about this. I accepted both A's, and was planning to withdraw from the school I PTE'd to anyways but haven't yet. Also forcing us to go against traffic rules in order to get financial aid seems like it's violating something.

Last edited:
  • Love

Omg congratulations!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE COMING lmao

• Love
I'm also confused about this. I accepted both A's, and was planning to withdraw from the school I PTE'd to anyways but haven't yet. Also forcing us to go against traffic rules in order to get financial aid seems like it's violating something.
Sorry I just saw these!

I sent an email to the school I was PTE in and said how I received another acceptance and that I am still highly interested in the school. I made sure to add "Per AAMC traffic rules, I never held more than one acceptance on or past April 30th of 2022 until yesterday evening. I hope that your institution recognizes and respects the challenges of applicants being accepted off of waitlists past May 1st of 2022, especially those who have not yet been informed about financial aid opportunities at all schools to which we have been accepted." I got most of the above off of the AAMC traffic rules guidelines. Then I reassured them that I will make a decision as quickly as possible. It seems that getting off of the waitlist is a bit of a loop hole in the hard April 30th deadline and my PTE school was okay with me taking the maximum time allowed (5 business days) to make a decision.

Regarding financial aid: I spoke with the financial aid office and they sent out an email asking everyone to fill out the financial aid documents on AMP (you have to accept the acceptance first). I filled that out and within 24 hrs I had a "financial aid estimate." There were no merit scholarships included and when I asked about them, they told me that they will continue to be distributed throughout May. I received quite a bit of financial need-based scholarship (more than my PTE school) as my EFC was lower than 10k so I committed last night. Hope to see you guys there in August!

Reactions: 4 users
for those of you who got off the waitlist today, is your CYMS tool updated? I wanted CTE DGSOM but it's still showing up as I am on the alternate list :)

for those of you who got off the waitlist today, is your CYMS tool updated? I wanted CTE DGSOM but it's still showing up as I am on the alternate list :)
Yes, DGSOM still shows up as alternate list for me on CYMS.

Hey guys! Just got admitted off the waitlist! Super pumped, but ngl I received my PAL today and it was way less than I was expecting (almost no need-based grants/scholarships, and I have an EFC of 0 lol), especially when compared to offers from other schools (and other UCs!) Sent them an email and hoping they won't laugh me out lol

Also, would anyone be able to DM/link me to the class Facebook group and/or GroupMe? I'm a boomer and can't find it, and would really love the opportunity to connect with other potential classmates before I make a decision :)

Hey guys! Just got admitted off the waitlist! Super pumped, but ngl I received my PAL today and it was way less than I was expecting (almost no need-based grants/scholarships, and I have an EFC of 0 lol), especially when compared to offers from other schools (and other UCs!) Sent them an email and hoping they won't laugh me out lol

Also, would anyone be able to DM/link me to the class Facebook group and/or GroupMe? I'm a boomer and can't find it, and would really love the opportunity to connect with other potential classmates before I make a decision :)
Sent!

• Care
I just got accepted off the waitlist this morning. I did not expect it this late but I am so excited to go to DGSOM!

Could I get the links to the FB and GroupMe? Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I just got accepted off the waitlist this morning. I did not expect it this late but I am so excited to go to DGSOM!

Could I get the links to the FB and GroupMe? Thanks!
Hi everyone! Got off the waitlist end of May and just realized I should probably join the groupme as well. Would someone mind sending me the link to it plz? Have just requested to join the fb page. Thank you!

Hi everyone! Got off the waitlist end of May and just realized I should probably join the groupme as well. Would someone mind sending me the link to it plz? Have just requested to join the fb page. Thank you!
Sent you the link!

Has UCLA started giving out post-secondary rejections?

• Hmm
Has UCLA started giving out post-secondary rejections?
For the 2021-2022 cycle, yeah they sent those out about 13 months ago.

I think you might be looking for the 2022-2023 cycle

Edit: Also I am late. This is what I get for only checking SDN every couple weeks lmao