University of Missouri c/o 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm definitely interested! Sounds like a fun and active group! :thumbup:

Well, active might be over-stating it, but I'm going to try to work on that next year...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I plan on moving out 1-2 weeks before orientation, which I think starts August 17. But I plan on taking a trip out early June for a few days to move some larger things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Ivory :)
For all those in the incoming class- just since I don't want to post this on the class page... this is my personal recommendation on books. Everyone has their own style of learning- I, personally, hate buying books unless I absolutely have to. I also have some on pdf that I use instead of actually buying them (that helps with cost). So, if you are wondering 'what do I absolutely need for first block?' Well, I'd say there is only really one book you need- and that is the Dissection Guide to the Dog. You 100% need this book and plenty of people will be selling it closer to August (I recommend buying it off someone for cheaper). You can buy it new, but you'll be taking it to lab and it will get a bit gross.

Thanks, Ivory :)
For all those in the incoming class- just since I don't want to post this on the class page... this is my personal recommendation on books. Everyone has their own style of learning- I, personally, hate buying books unless I absolutely have to. I also have some on pdf that I use instead of actually buying them (that helps with cost). So, if you are wondering 'what do I absolutely need for first block?' Well, I'd say there is only really one book you need- and that is the Dissection Guide to the Dog. You 100% need this book and plenty of people will be selling it closer to August (I recommend buying it off someone for cheaper). You can buy it new, but you'll be taking it to lab and it will get a bit gross.
For the dissection book, who is the author?

Each first year is paired up with a second year student (so one of us). Kind of like a mentor- you can go to them for advice about classes and things. Mine was super helpful and awesome... So I hope you guys have a great experience with it, too. One of my roommates is in charge of setting up the program- so I think about mid-May she will start it- so you should hear something soon! I know some people don't have the best relationship with their big, but I've really gotten to like mine. She's fantastic and has been an invaluable source of info for classes and how to study for certain exams.

I don't feel really attached to my book. I bought it off a 2nd year coming in and will be selling it to my little @cowdoctr :) I'd love to have each and every one of you as my littles, but I still bleed maroon and orange. Gotta love my Hokies!

Each first year is paired up with a second year student (so one of us). Kind of like a mentor- you can go to them for advice about classes and things. Mine was super helpful and awesome... So I hope you guys have a great experience with it, too. One of my roommates is in charge of setting up the program- so I think about mid-May she will start it- so you should hear something soon! I know some people don't have the best relationship with their big, but I've really gotten to like mine. She's fantastic and has been an invaluable source of info for classes and how to study for certain exams.

I don't feel really attached to my book. I bought it off a 2nd year coming in and will be selling it to my little @cowdoctr :) I'd love to have each and every one of you as my littles, but I still bleed maroon and orange. Gotta love my Hokies!
Well this is awesome! Glad to hear that Mizzou does this!

Well this is awesome! Glad to hear that Mizzou does this!

It's a great thing we offer, I think. My big took me out to dinner before classes started. I often would get delicious baked goods in my mailbox as well... I always try to reciprocate it to her, but she says to just pass it onto my little :) We try to have dinner once a block, but that hasn't always happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a great thing we offer, I think. My big took me out to dinner before classes started. I often would get delicious baked goods in my mailbox as well... I always try to reciprocate it to her, but she says to just pass it onto my little :) We try to have dinner once a block, but that hasn't always happened.

im getting free baked goods??! i like cupcakes btw ;) heehee
on another note, just signed my lease for my apartment woop!! :happy:

Only if I can find the time to bake (which somehow always seems to be around finals...) :p When is your move in date?

Only if I can find the time to bake (which somehow always seems to be around finals...) :p When is your move in date?

not sure yet, i wanted it to be early but I haven't had any luck finding jobs out there. the one I tried for at the vet school was already filled :(

Where did you end up signing?? So exciting!!!

Do they pair you up based on interests and such or just random pairing? Can't wait to hear more about it!

We get a list of you all and get to sign up at will (I think it might say where you are from...) Other than I can't say much about it since that's all I know.

That sounds like a really great program. I found a roommate this weekend, so I'm looking forward to getting everything going! Congrats rainheart on your presidency! I can't wait to join up, and neither can this guy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: 1 users
Do they pair you up based on interests and such or just random pairing? Can't wait to hear more about it!

I'm the VP of my class (the one above @Rainheart ), so I set up the big/little program last year. Basically, once we get the OK from Kathy that the incoming 1st year list is fairly stable, the VP will send out a list to their class of all the incoming first years. It includes their name, and the high school and college they went to. If a first year knows an incoming first year, that's generally who they'll pick. Everyone else usually picks because they came from the same area/state or went to the same school. Y'all will get an email about it once everyone has been assigned a big. :)

Hey incoming 1st years!!!! Make sure you take the poll that was posted on your FB page today by none other than yours truly :D

Well I will be coming back to Columbia on the 2oth to look for housing again. I just want something with a fenced in back yard!! If anyone knows of anything please let me know. I have been stalking the Class of 2018 Facebook page trying to find something.

Random question... Does mizzou replace retake grades or average them for the app?

there is a 'free & for sale' facebook page for my undergrad where students can go and buy and sell their things, and I was wondering if Mizzou had something like that? (im sure craigslist is useful as well though) just curious

there is a 'free & for sale' facebook page for my undergrad where students can go and buy and sell their things, and I was wondering if Mizzou had something like that? (im sure craigslist is useful as well though) just curious
Yup, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/273985162691428/
You may not be able to get onto it without a mizzou email account though. I can't remember

Random question... Does mizzou replace retake grades or average them for the app?
You can call Kathy and ask :) I'm pretty sure we have a 6 year forgiveness policy on classes...

Yeah I know about the 6 year forgiveness. The problem is I got really good grades my freshman year, but not so hot my soph year. If I did the 6 year I would have to retake all intro bio and chem classes. But I'll call and ask just to make sure... And I heard your admissions is pretty nice so I won't be terrified to call and ask haha :)

Yeah I know about the 6 year forgiveness. The problem is I got really good grades my freshman year, but not so hot my soph year. If I did the 6 year I would have to retake all intro bio and chem classes. But I'll call and ask just to make sure... And I heard your admissions is pretty nice so I won't be terrified to call and ask haha :)
Kathy is super nice- so don't be afraid to call and talk to her, really :)

You may have already called and found out, but they average repeat course grades. At least according to my academic evaluation they sent me. :)

Hey everyone! Congrats on the acceptance! I see we have been talking about the Big/Little program and I am the roommate that Rainheart speaks of. We are currently in the process of assigning Big/Littles and I am hoping you should hear something in a little over a week!

Also. Shameless plug. If you are even the SLIGHTEST bit interested, Mule Team is a great thing to be involved in! Besides taking care of Tim and Terry, we get to be in parades, learn to drive the mules, give campus tours, and be the face of the veterinary school to the public! It is definitely the most worthwhile experience I've had this year!

As far as clubs/organizations goes, how many will you realistically be able to participate in as a first year? I'm interested in quite a few, but I don't want to be over-extended. I'm definitely doing PALs, and I have a few others that I am looking at but I haven't narrowed it down. In other news, I packed up my office at Missouri State U. today. So weird, but moving forward is going to be great!

Last edited:
Hey Guys, As @XiLove just said, we are about to pick our littles!!! I would love to pick an SDN little so Message me with your names so I can find you on our list!!

As far as clubs/organizations goes, how many will you realistically be able to participate in as a first year? I'm interested in quite a few, but I don't want to be over-extended. I'm definitely doing PALs, and I have a few others that I am looking at but I haven't narrowed it down. In other news, I packed up my office at Missouri State U. today. So weird, but moving forward is important!

I think it depends on how active your club is and how involved in the club you want to be. I am a member of VBMA (im completing a business certificate), SCVECCS, Dental Club, Scavma and im also a CVM Ambassador. VBMA is pretty active, we have meetings pretty much every month.. Scveccs is relatively active, meeting probably every other month. Dental club only meets about 3x's a year... This is my favorite club bc im interested in pursuing a Dental Res so im hoping to become president this coming year and to make it more active. Everyone is pretty much a member of SCAVMA bc in order to be in any other clubs you have to be a member of Scavma since they fund a lot of the clubs. But they do also put on some really good talks.
@XiLove is VP of Mule team and they are also pretty active- they go to parades and community events and she has a really fun time. Equine club is also pretty active bc they have the foal team and on call stuff over at the hospital.

If you want to become a President or VP of a club Id say make sure you go to mostof the meetings and be really active. Other than that, you can come and go as you please pretty much. It isnt required to go to every meeting so during tough weeks you can just skip out on the meetings.

As far as clubs/organizations goes, how many will you realistically be able to participate in as a first year? I'm interested in quite a few, but I don't want to be over-extended. I'm definitely doing PALs, and I have a few others that I am looking at but I haven't narrowed it down. In other news, I packed up my office at Missouri State U. today. So weird, but moving forward is going to be great!
You can be as involved as you want. The busiest clubs are Mule Team, Bovine Club, VBMA, and Equine Club, but it's generally 1 meeting a month with an event in almost every month. I'm a member of Mule Team, VBMA, Equine Club, Shelter Med club (pretty inactive), a student ambassador, and the class VP. It really depends on how you balance school and what you want to do with your spare time. I would recommend signing up for a handful, then deciding which ones you like the best in the middle of the year or so.

I would just sign up for whatever you're interested in. Most of the clubs aren't super active and even if they are you can choose what you want to participate in. Only thing you'll be out is the dues for the club which are usually only 10 or 15 dollars.

We had a great event with PALS today- went over to 'destress' the undergrads from their finals with our pups. But yeah... just sign up for whatever peaks your interest and see where that goes. I am the president of PALS for this coming year, and I'm also part of the Columbia Kennel Club (which isn't part of the school, but if you are interested in dog showing, I'd recommend joining!) I was a member of Bovine club, but I don't think I'll be signing up again next year. Oh and we are starting a Therio club this year *hopefully* which I'll for sure be joining! There will be a club night I think in September or October where we will all be at and you can sign up for all the listservs there and check out all the options.

We had a great event with PALS today- went over to 'destress' the undergrads from their finals with our pups. But yeah... just sign up for whatever peaks your interest and see where that goes. I am the president of PALS for this coming year, and I'm also part of the Columbia Kennel Club (which isn't part of the school, but if you are interested in dog showing, I'd recommend joining!) I was a member of Bovine club, but I don't think I'll be signing up again next year. Oh and we are starting a Therio club this year *hopefully* which I'll for sure be joining! There will be a club night I think in September or October where we will all be at and you can sign up for all the listservs there and check out all the options.

I'm definitely excited about PALs! Bongo isn't a show dog by any means, but we have spent a lot of time on obedience/agility and building our trust. My best friend works as the activities director at a nursing home and I take him up there to hang out with her residents as often as I can. She has been trying to work out a plan for "snuggle sessions" but she still has to clear that with her admin.

I was wondering if anyone knew 1, if and when Mizzou offers rabies vaccines and 2, what they would cost for incoming students? I found a hospital about an hr away from where I live that charges $400 for the entire 3 shot series which I wouldn't want to pass up unless Mizzou offered them cheaper.

I was wondering if anyone knew 1, if and when Mizzou offers rabies vaccines and 2, what they would cost for incoming students? I found a hospital about an hr away from where I live that charges $400 for the entire 3 shot series which I wouldn't want to pass up unless Mizzou offered them cheaper.
It's about $800 through Mizzou- they do come to the vet school and do them sometime starting in October.

I would totally do it for the $400 ! It is worth the hr drive! Plus, getting it done before school isnt a bad idea because you never know how you will react to them. I didnt have any adverse affects except some soreness but other people in our class had some flu-like symptoms which isnt terrbile, just annoying more than anything.

Going to be in Missouri tomorrow to look for housing for a few days!!! Any recommendations on areas of town to visit? Good places to eat? Thanks!

Going to be in Missouri tomorrow to look for housing for a few days!!! Any recommendations on areas of town to visit? Good places to eat? Thanks!
Yay!! Well, it would all depend on what you like to do. We have TONS of places to check out for hiking, the downtown area is quite nice, especially since the undergrads should be clearing out now due to finals. I'd be more helpful with food places- Flat Branch!!! You've got to go there to eat while you are here. There is a great Thai place downtown, too, called Bangkok gardens if you like Thai. We have found a fantastic mexican place called Las Margaritas as well if you are wanting delicious mexican food and amazing margaritas :)

Wanted to add I finally went to a place called Laser Lanes last week and had a BLAST!! They have bowling, laser tag, blacklight mini golf, and an arcade... plus a bar in there. I will definitely be going back.

Yay!! Well, it would all depend on what you like to do. We have TONS of places to check out for hiking, the downtown area is quite nice, especially since the undergrads should be clearing out now due to finals. I'd be more helpful with food places- Flat Branch!!! You've got to go there to eat while you are here. There is a great Thai place downtown, too, called Bangkok gardens if you like Thai. We have found a fantastic mexican place called Las Margaritas as well if you are wanting delicious mexican food and amazing margaritas :)

Wanted to add I finally went to a place called Laser Lanes last week and had a BLAST!! They have bowling, laser tag, blacklight mini golf, and an arcade... plus a bar in there. I will definitely be going back.

Thanks Rainheart! I was just thinking of places to eat at when I move in, so I will have to try the places you mentioned. On another note, are there any friendly trails or dog parks? I love to run, especially with my dog, but with such a big (to me) city, I didn't know if it was feasible/safe to do so.

Thanks Rainheart! I was just thinking of places to eat at when I move in, so I will have to try the places you mentioned. On another note, are there any friendly trails or dog parks? I love to run, especially with my dog, but with such a big (to me) city, I didn't know if it was feasible/safe to do so.
Columbia actually has TONS of parks, nature preserves and the like. There is also a really good biking trail the MKT. If you're going running during the day especially with a dog I wouldn't be concerned. I haven't been, but I've heard good things about a lot of the dog parks here.

Yes, there are SO many places to go with your dog. I've only been to a few so far. I love going to Devil's Icebox since it is right down the road from me. There are tons of off leash areas at Cosmo park. There is a Grindstone trail area near the school that I've been once and your dog can be off leash in certain areas as well. There are 2 dog parks I am aware of (and one that I've been to). Twin lakes is a great place to go *only* at certain times (like at 9am when there really isn't anyone there). There is a large swimming area for them to enjoy... we actually just got back from there this morning and B boy had a blast. I am not a huge fan of dog parks just because some owners don't think about bringing their aggressive dogs, but if you go at the off times, they can be good places. My pup doesn't really care too much about playing with other dogs, he just wants to swim. I have yet to go on the MKT that wildcat mentioned.

Thanks everyone! I will have to check them out, I know my Lillie girl will love to explore as much as I do. I was a little worried that we wouldn't find a place to hike/run, but it sounds like there are plenty of places to choose from. :)

Thanks everyone! I will have to check them out, I know my Lillie girl will love to explore as much as I do. I was a little worried that we wouldn't find a place to hike/run, but it sounds like there are plenty of places to choose from. :)
I think it is a great thing Columbia has to offer. And I know there are lots of places I've yet to discover as well.