University of Missouri c/o 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Soooo nobody has really gotten anything about Financial Aid or your Mizzou email and such right? I'm paranoid now because I found quite a few important emails in my spam :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the letter in the mail about the retreat (which referenced our Mizzou and told us to check them, but we don't have them yet right?). That's been my only letter since the admissions packet!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

ok yeah thats what I got too and yeah them talking about making sure we check our Mizzou email worried me too since we don't have one yet..

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa there, we got a letter in the mail about a retreat?

Yeah pretty much saying that it's Aug 17th to the 20th and all expenses paid and that we'll be getting the forms and more info for it at the end of June.. mine was postmarked the 8th so it took a while to get here

The 8th of May? Ah that would explain why. Thanks!

So nothing important or anything to fill out with it?

nothing too important and nothing to fill out :)

Thanks! My roommate sent it to me via email so I finally got it, I now realize I completely forgot to ask for a change of address after I moved out.

ah yes thats the email I found in my spam ! well that would explain why you didn't get the letter...

Ohhh VET... You guys will have a blast. I encourage all of you to go. It's a great opportunity to meet everyone in your class and start building relationships with professors and admin. And believe it or not, the accommodations are very nice and the food was Excellent.. Man I wish there was a salad bar like that everywhere!!!

Excellent might be an over statement, but it was good enough anyway. VET is pretty awesome. I was going to go back and help out this year, but this whole "having a kid" thing is really crampin my style.

Here's another shameless plug for an organization... Emergency/Critical Care Club (SCVECCS) does some pretty AWESOME wet labs and even if you don't plan on going into emergency, it never hurts to get a little extra suture help or learn how to place a chest tube. Just sayin.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's another shameless plug for an organization... Emergency/Critical Care Club (SCVECCS) does some pretty AWESOME wet labs and even if you don't plan on going into emergency, it never hurts to get a little extra suture help or learn how to place a chest tube. Just sayin.
Oh that sounds awesome! I love emergency so I'll be joining this one for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent might be an over statement, but it was good enough anyway. VET is pretty awesome. I was going to go back and help out this year, but this whole "having a kid" thing is really crampin my style.

Well I mean for a summer "camp", the food wasnt bad, hell its no 5 star restaurant but it wasnt grade school cafeteria food which is what I was anticipating lol

Hey Mr Pres of SCVECCs... you wanna save me a spot in a wet lab?? I am never fast enough to emails and have missed out on all the wet lab opportunities which has been pretty depressing

Well I mean for a summer "camp", the food wasnt bad, hell its no 5 star restaurant but it wasnt grade school cafeteria food which is what I was anticipating lol

Hey Mr Pres of SCVECCs... you wanna save me a spot in a wet lab?? I am never fast enough to emails and have missed out on all the wet lab opportunities which has been pretty depressing

No the food was certainly fine. Not the best food ever, but pretty good nonetheless.

And about the wet lab, I think priority is given to people who haven't got one yet, so I will see what I can do!

Hey guys! I just wanted to tell you guys I ended up getting into my in-state, which I didn't think would happen. You all have been so supportive and I am really bummed I won't be meeting you all! You are a great group and Mizzou is such a great school, but in the end, my IS is where I will be attending. I love it too! Thank you guys for everything! :love::love:

Hey guys! I just wanted to tell you guys I ended up getting into my in-state, which I didn't think would happen. You all have been so supportive and I am really bummed I won't be meeting you all! You are a great group and Mizzou is such a great school, but in the end, my IS is where I will be attending. I love it too! Thank you guys for everything! :love::love:
We will miss you, but good luck with everything, and let us know how everything is going at your in-state :)

good luck to you!!! you certainly cannot pass up being close to your family, it is a huge bonus to going instate!!

Thank you guys!! Love all the support on this forum, you're all great!! :highfive::love:

I finally found a house to rent!!! I am so excited. I am not going to be homeless after all :)

Reactions: 2 users
Do scholarships exist at this level or is it pretty much all student loans? I probably know the answer, just wishful thinking. I saw some in the admissions packet, but didn't know when those were awarded and haven't really been able to figure out more information online. Most I seem ineligible for *Le sigh*

Do scholarships exist at this level or is it pretty much all student loans? I probably know the answer, just wishful thinking. I saw some in the admissions packet, but didn't know when those were awarded and haven't really been able to figure out more information online. Most I seem ineligible for *Le sigh*

Honestly, I would fill out the form they sent you and apply for everything you qualify for and then just cross your fingers hahaha

Coming into school those were the only scholarships the school itself gives.. But I know of people who got scholarships from local 4-H groups / local veterinary associations from where they are from.. Then after 1st year the school gives out a couple more scholarships, mainly to the top people in the class. I know @Rainheart applied for quite a few private scholarships outside of the school as well... So you really have to do some digging, and then just hope for the best, but don't get your hopes up unfortunately :/

Definitely fill out what they sent you. I'm not sure what the selection criteria is for those. I did apply for a few that the school sent emails out about throughout the year and the school has a main form you fill out sometime in January I believe. Not too many scholarships for the first two years, from what I observed at the awards banquet last week. The majority basically went to the same people who had a 4.0 in our class (crazy!) I don't strive for that. I was lucky enough to find a scholarship in my mailbox the next day after *yay* Any little bit helps. I've tried to search a little bit for some outside of the school but I really didn't have much luck myself :/
It seems most of the awards and scholarships went to the third and fourth years at the banquet.

Definitely just fill out that scholarship sheet, you may be surprised and get something. I got a decent scholarship my first year (no idea why) and I know my state has some that I can apply for during 3rd/4th year. Definitely look at your state's veterinary medical association because sometimes they have scholarships specific to students from that state. Especially if you don't have an in state school.
Mizzou actually gives out way more scholarships than most schools though, so you have a better chance getting something here than elsewhere.

Well that's great to hear! You are all so helpful on here. Thank you!

I would just sign up for whatever you're interested in. Most of the clubs aren't super active and even if they are you can choose what you want to participate in. Only thing you'll be out is the dues for the club which are usually only 10 or 15 dollars.

And I'll add that at the majority of club meetings (like, 99%), they feed you dinner. So free dinner a few days a month (depending on how many clubs you're in and how many meetings or activities you go to), plus lectures about some really interesting stuff, is worth it in my book.

Did you guys get an email about patients next week? I got one in my mizzou account, then another asking for my cell phone number. It's from a mizzou email address, just not sure if it's legit or not.

Did you guys get an email about patients next week? I got one in my mizzou account, then another asking for my cell phone number. It's from a mizzou email address, just not sure if it's legit or not.
Patients? What did it say exactly? I didn't receive anything like that (just the normal "Here are some books to buy from upperclassmen," "I need a roommate" emails).

hmmm that seems fishy to me.. Yall shouldnt be getting any emails about patients or anything.. just the book stuff and roommate stuff for now..

I didn't get anything like that. I got an email in my application account today saying this "You should have an email in your account requesting that you confirm you received it. Please be sure to reply to that message so we know your account is functional. " I have not received an email to confirm my account yet. Has anyone else?

I didn't get anything like that. I got an email in my application account today saying this "You should have an email in your account requesting that you confirm you received it. Please be sure to reply to that message so we know your account is functional. " I have not received an email to confirm my account yet. Has anyone else?
No, I haven't either. I was freaking out a bit, but I think it might take a while to come to the mail, or perhaps they haven't sent it yet. Either way, I'm not as worried, because I have already received at least 4 emails from students that sent an email to "classof2018" so I know I'm in the system at least. Perhaps we will get it tomorrow?

Does anyone know if we get free products through the school? (like heartworm prevention)

Does anyone know if we get free products through the school? (like heartworm prevention)
There are tons of opportunities for free products. Depends on the time of year when we have access to them. Usually what happens is we have reps come and give a brief presentation about new products from their company and if you attend that you can get a year supply of a med they provide. We've been able to get heartguard, revolution, a whole bunch of merial products, and a bunch of others.
You will definitely have access to a year supply it just depends on when they hold the presentations and when the products get distributed.

It just might take a bit for those products to come in, so be sure to bring some with you for those with pets.

I have a question for current students (or for those that know): I just got a financial aid email, and it looks like it is all loans (which I was expecting). Will Mizzou offer scholarships later on in the summer, or is this it for financial aid?

I have a question for current students (or for those that know): I just got a financial aid email, and it looks like it is all loans (which I was expecting). Will Mizzou offer scholarships later on in the summer, or is this it for financial aid?
I know some scholarships are given out to some incoming students, but I don't know when those are dispersed. That's probably your loan information you need to go through the loan education at some point this summer online and you can eventually accept how much you want to take out. (Hopefully that made sense?) It can all be a bit confusing to begin with, I know.

Okay. I got the financial aid email also. I didn't realize the Graduate Plus Loan was something separate I had to apply for. Did any of you current students do this?

Okay. I got the financial aid email also. I didn't realize the Graduate Plus Loan was something separate I had to apply for. Did any of you current students do this?
I had to take at least part of it to even pay for tuition, so yes... I ended up accepting the full amount of my OOS loans this past year- no regrets doing it. I spent more than I anticipated that first semester on things that I didn't realize I might need to. Now I can estimate how much I'll need to take out next year.
The breakdown of the loans last year offered- Federal unsubsidized- 40,500. Grad plus 25,000, and there is a 4500 health professions loan.

Okay thank you! I am sorry! This junk is so confusing! I went back on to studentloans.gov and filled out an application for the Grad Plus Loan and did an MPN for that. So I think I am done now. I hope.

This loan info is very confusing! I just completed that loan entrance counseling on the studentloans.gov site as well and according to that, I will need just under what I was offered (like a few thousand less). Would it be best to just take it all to be safe for the 1st year?

This loan info is very confusing! I just completed that loan entrance counseling on the studentloans.gov site as well and according to that, I will need just under what I was offered (like a few thousand less). Would it be best to just take it all to be safe for the 1st year?
-Shrugs- It is a personal decision. That is what I did, but others took what they needed. I had no idea what I would exactly need and how much I'd be spending. Others didn't take nearly as much. Guess it just depends on how your finances are now coming into vet school, how much rent is, food budget, etc. If you still need your Rabies vaccine, books/other misc. supplies, etc.

I have not received any emails to my missouri acount since Tuesday and no financial aid info! Anyone not receive anything yet?

I'm of the thought that you should sit down, make a budget and go from there. When I made my budget I factored in a little more each month for emergencies/ unexpected costs so that I did have a buffer.. Even doing that I was able to take out less than offered and I still had about $10,000 left over which I have paid back to my loan provider. If you know how much your rent will be, and know about how much you currently spend on groceries /gas/insurance/ all your other living stuff, Then making a budget and only taking out what you need plus a little extra, it can save you a lot . I checked my loan stuff the other day and I've already accrued over $1000 in interest since school started. If I would've taken out more- I would have accrued even more in interest.

Plus, if you take out the initial amount using a budget and find that you may need more to get through summer, they do offer you the chance to take out more money during summer. So it is not a done deal once you press accept.

Another thing- unless you absolutely have to have textbooks, I can honestly say I didn't buy a single text book for school this year..my big let me use her books and I haven't found a book that I actually want to keep long term, except maybe for the path book we are using right now, but it's not extremely expensive considering how big it is. This has saved me a ton of money and it hasn't affected my learning ability one bit.

If you do decide to make a budget, factor in an estimate of club dues ( about 10$ per club except for SCAVMA which was a bit more expensive, but I don't remember how much) /rabies vaccine ($800 or so)/ class fundraising money ( we sold pizzas, bracelets, car decals , had restaurants that gave a % of your meal cost to the class etc.)

You guys will be living with this debt for a long time, (unless you come from a rich family/ marry a rich husband/ wife) so keep your debt as low as possible! Especially if you have undergrad debt too.. You can def take out less than what is needed and I highly encourage it.

Last edited:
I am moving in 2 weeks!! I am so ready to get the moving process over with. Is anyone else moving this early?

I am moving in 2 weeks!! I am so ready to get the moving process over with. Is anyone else moving this early?
I'm already here! You will have to let me know when you get here and get settled.

I'll be here ALL summer if anyone wants to get together for a dinner or something ;) I'd love to meet you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
I have not received any emails to my missouri acount since Tuesday and no financial aid info! Anyone not receive anything yet?
I have not received this email either. When did you guys get it? I have been receiving other emails to my Mizzou email just fine

I'm already here! You will have to let me know when you get here and get settled.
I will! I would really like to meet y'all this summer. I don't think I have you on Facebook yet, do I?

I have not received this email either. When did you guys get it? I have been receiving other emails to my Mizzou email just fine
I got the email on Friday.