University of Tennessee c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yippee!! Mine is the 21st :) can't wait!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm on the 22!!!!!!!!!!!

21st at 4:30 for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! Congratulations everyone!!! Great job!! We are one step closer!

Reactions: 1 users
They must have just sent out invites today and rejections a different day :(
Maybe they aren't done sending out invites yet? They said that invites were going out this week, so it's possible they're not done! I'm sure you could always call and ask if you wanted.
:luck::luck::luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Mine is the 21st!

Instate, interview on the 22nd. Email came around 3:00 PM today. Good luck everyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they want our transcripts sent directly to them or through VMCAS? And congratulations, everyone!

Does anyone know if they want our transcripts sent directly to them or through VMCAS? And congratulations, everyone!
I believe it's directly to them. I was going to call tomorrow to find out for sure

January 23rd!! Out of state, but already accepted at Lincoln so I'm hoping to go 2 for 2 in Tennessee!!!

From their website: http://www.vet.utk.edu/admissions/procedure.php

TRANSCRIPTS:
Also, it is your responsibility to request transcripts, in sealed official envelopes from appropriate college/university registrars, for all post-secondary institutions you attended. These transcripts must include ALL course work completed through Summer Term, 2013. Transcripts must be mailed directly to VMCAS with the exception of Fall 2013 transcripts, which are sent to the UT College of Veterinary Medicine.

21st interview!! Congrats everyone who got an invite!

Except for people at Tennessee. They'll print it out directly. It's my first semester there sooooo... :)

Except for people at Tennessee. They'll print it out directly. It's my first semester there sooooo... :)
Any tips on how to prepare for the interview process? :)

I have an interview in the afternoon on the 22, but want to get there early for tours and such. Is lunch/snacks served or should I bring a snack?

Got an interview on the 22nd! Beyond excited!!! I remember the student tour guide saying they feed you for interviews but I am not sure, warriorvet.

We have always provided snacks, but this is the first time interviews aren't during spring break. I'm sure they will still offer refreshments.

Wish I was going to be around to meet with some of you, but I'll be in Florida at the NAVC!

I called today and Deborah told me my app wasn't declined or invited for interview yet. She said that she would contact me the week of July 2, that as some people decline interview they will fill in the last interview slots :) so I'm happy and hopeful now!
Great news!!! Keep your head up!!

Ok, so I did not receive an invitation for an interview...:(

I did call, and was told I'm listed as "waiting to be evaluated" (or something like that, I forget the wording) and not currently rejected. And that I won't hear anything until after the holidays.

Do I still have a chance? Or is this a polite way of not rejecting students 5 days before Christmas? I really want to be hopeful, but after the initial excitement of not being rejected yet wore off, I realized it still may be inevitable. When I calculate my academic score, it seems like it should be good enough to get an interview! Does anyone know the cut-off score for this year?

Oops. Posted at the same time as bubulcus ibis.

How do we know how many points we have?

Straight from the website:

PHASE ONE EVALUATION

In all categories, grade point average (GPA) is calculated on all course work attempted, including repeated courses.

1. Overall GPA, including graduate work x 6

2. GPA of all undergraduate level physical science courses (mathematics, chemistry, physics, biochemistry) x 12

3. GPA of all undergraduate level biological science and animal science courses x 6

4. GPA for the most recent four semesters or six quarters of undergraduate level course work x 6
(NOTE: Categories 2, 3, and 4 above are calculated using only undergraduate level course work. Further, no semester or quarter of less than 10 credit hours will be used in the calculation of category 4.)

1. Total number of semester hours successfully completed at the time of application will be assigned points as follows:
    Over 94 = 1Over 114 = 4
    Over 100 = 2Over 120 = 5
    Over 107 = 3Over 127 = 6
  2. Average course load per full term (at least 12 credit hours) successfully completed will be assigned points as follows:
    15 hours = 118 hours = 4
    16 hours = 219 hours = 5
    17 hours = 320 hours = 6
  3. GRE7 General Test: Scores from the verbal, quantitative, and analytical sections of the GRE7 will be evaluated. A maximum of 25 points will be added to each applicants academic evaluation based on performance on each section of the GRE7. For the verbal and quantitative sections, a maximum of ten (10) points for each section may be earned for scores between 500-800 (i.e.: 510 = 0.33 points, 520 = 0.67 points, 530 = 1.0 point, etc.). For the analytical section, up to 5 points may be earned for scores of 3.5 or greater (i.e. 3.5 = 1.0 point, 4.0 = 2 points, etc.)
The maximum number of points an applicant can earn on the Academic profile calculation is 157. The lowest Academic profile score with which an applicant will be interviewed may vary from year to year depending on the number of applicants to be admitted and the qualifications of the applicant pool, and is determined annually by the Student Selection Committee.

I'll be there during interviews, but we have class Tuesday and Wednesday. This is the first year interviews will be held with classes going on, so it will be interesting for all of us ;)

Straight from the website:

PHASE ONE EVALUATION

In all categories, grade point average (GPA) is calculated on all course work attempted, including repeated courses.

1. Overall GPA, including graduate work x 6

2. GPA of all undergraduate level physical science courses (mathematics, chemistry, physics, biochemistry) x 12

3. GPA of all undergraduate level biological science and animal science courses x 6

4. GPA for the most recent four semesters or six quarters of undergraduate level course work x 6
(NOTE: Categories 2, 3, and 4 above are calculated using only undergraduate level course work. Further, no semester or quarter of less than 10 credit hours will be used in the calculation of category 4.)

1. Total number of semester hours successfully completed at the time of application will be assigned points as follows:
    Over 94 = 1Over 114 = 4
    Over 100 = 2Over 120 = 5
    Over 107 = 3Over 127 = 6
  2. Average course load per full term (at least 12 credit hours) successfully completed will be assigned points as follows:
    15 hours = 118 hours = 4
    16 hours = 219 hours = 5
    17 hours = 320 hours = 6
  3. GRE7 General Test: Scores from the verbal, quantitative, and analytical sections of the GRE7 will be evaluated. A maximum of 25 points will be added to each applicants academic evaluation based on performance on each section of the GRE7. For the verbal and quantitative sections, a maximum of ten (10) points for each section may be earned for scores between 500-800 (i.e.: 510 = 0.33 points, 520 = 0.67 points, 530 = 1.0 point, etc.). For the analytical section, up to 5 points may be earned for scores of 3.5 or greater (i.e. 3.5 = 1.0 point, 4.0 = 2 points, etc.)
The maximum number of points an applicant can earn on the Academic profile calculation is 157. The lowest Academic profile score with which an applicant will be interviewed may vary from year to year depending on the number of applicants to be admitted and the qualifications of the applicant pool, and is determined annually by the Student Selection Committee.

I'll be there during interviews, but we have class Tuesday and Wednesday. This is the first year interviews will be held with classes going on, so it will be interesting for all of us ;)
Thanks so much!!

Be mindful that they have changed the evaluation processes. I wouldn't use the Phase 1 eval that's posted. But that's just me... and I don't have an interview. I, too, am still in the process of being evaluated. However ...

Ok, so I did not receive an invitation for an interview...:(

I did call, and was told I'm listed as "waiting to be evaluated" (or something like that, I forget the wording) and not currently rejected. And that I won't hear anything until after the holidays.

Do I still have a chance? Or is this a polite way of not rejecting students 5 days before Christmas? I really want to be hopeful, but after the initial excitement of not being rejected yet wore off, I realized it still may be inevitable. When I calculate my academic score, it seems like it should be good enough to get an interview! Does anyone know the cut-off score for this year?

I'm a pessimist at heart. Guess we'll see.

Congrats to everyone that received invites. I'm SUPER excited for you. Sincerely :)

:love:

If you assume all GPAs as the average of the last listed class on the UT website (3.62), and also use the listed average GRE score (roughly 1140 assuming also a 4 on AWA), and make a couple other small assumptions (100 hours total, 16 per term), I think you get a total score of about 119. This is probably a pretty good estimate of the average score of those that accepted offers. So that 90 to 100 cutoff for interviews doesn't seem outlandish.

If you assume all GPAs as the average of the last listed class on the UT website (3.62), and also use the listed average GRE score (roughly 1140 assuming also a 4 on AWA), and make a couple other small assumptions (100 hours total, 16 per term), I think you get a total score of about 119. This is probably a pretty good estimate of the average score of those that accepted offers. So that 90 to 100 cutoff for interviews doesn't seem outlandish.
I did hear a few years ago that it was 110. However, every time I calculate my score I end up with a 118. Not stunning but not terrible? Either I'm calculating it wrong or there were some great applicants this year?

Either way...congrats to those with interviews and fingers crossed for the rest of us!

Just checked my inbox and realized I had an unread email from 2 days ago... Interview on the 21!! So excited!!! Good luck to everyone else out there still waiting for an invite!

I did hear a few years ago that it was 110. However, every time I calculate my score I end up with a 118. Not stunning but not terrible? Either I'm calculating it wrong or there were some great applicants this year?

Either way...congrats to those with interviews and fingers crossed for the rest of us!

Are you OOS? The cutoff is probably higher for OOS.

But, in my search for Tennessee on this site for previous years searches, it seems like a lot of people have declined their Tennessee interviews in the past. So maybe they will use this "still under evaluation" pool of applicants to fill those spots. Or maybe they just didn't get it completely done yet. Hopefully, you will still get to interview!

They did cut about 100 interviews this year. There were 325 invites this year and there were over 400 last year. There are only three interview days this year instead of the usual four. I hope those of you on the interview wait list get an invite!!

Question for those of you who interviewed here in the past...

The invite says there will be an info session and tour at 8 am the day of my interview...how long did this last in the past?
8 is very early for my afternoon interview, so I'm hoping at least by noon so I can go to my hotel and eat and finish getting ready...

Also they said the info session was on the interview process? Which strikes me as weird, because if it's about the interview it's a bit too late to hear something...does it mean like after the interview/if you get an acceptance?

If I remember correctly, the morning info session lasted maybe an hour. Immediately after the info session were the student led tours of the school. The tours go on all day, so you could skip out after the morning info session and still catch a later tour. There will be current students hanging out in the Sequoya room (where the snacks are ;)) for you to ask us any questions about the interview, the school, Knoxville, etc.

As far as the morning info session, it covers things like gaining residency, future plans for the school (expansions of the building, NOT class size), stuff like that. As far as the interview process, the Dean will tell you how your interview will be conducted. Basically, the interviewers have a list of questions they can ask given to them by the Dean. They also have your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and application, and they can ask you about any of that as well. Hope that helps!

Any tips on how to prepare for the interview process? :)

I'm not a vet student, I'm just taking grad level courses at the vet school. But in years past, they've asked me about current vet events, about my experiences, why I want to be a vet and general things like that. They're really nice and I had fun during my last interview. I was surprised when my 30 minutes was up.
So basically, I'm reading anything and everything to do with vet med. If i don't get in to Tennessee this year, I'm going to the Caribbean. :\ My poor boyfriend... He likes reggae music so it'll be okay. He can come visit. ;)
Fingers crossed for this year. I'd swim naked with the polar bears if they wanted me to. ;)

Be mindful that they have changed the evaluation processes. I wouldn't use the Phase 1 eval that's posted. But that's just me... and I don't have an interview. I, too, am still in the process of being evaluated. However ...

I'm a pessimist at heart. Guess we'll see.

Congrats to everyone that received invites. I'm SUPER excited for you. Sincerely :)

:love:

I bet they just haven't gotten it done. Don't give up.

Got the interview invite this morning!!! Very very excited. Those of you still waiting, apparently they aren't done yet (or at least were still sending them this morning).

Is the info session in the morning informal? Somewhat formal?

Got the interview invite this morning!!! Very very excited. Those of you still waiting, apparently they aren't done yet (or at least were still sending them this morning).

Sheesh.. I suppose they're still figuring it out, cause I've yet to hear ANYthing. Thanks for the words of comfort.