University of Tennessee c/o 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I still have my Penn interview tomorrow, but right now I'm really thinking I will choose Tennessee even if I get into Penn. Especially since I just remembered that they have the MPH program.

Does anyone know when you have to apply for that to do the dual degree?

I still have my Penn interview tomorrow, but right now I'm really thinking I will choose Tennessee even if I get into Penn. Especially since I just remembered that they have the MPH program.

Does anyone know when you have to apply for that to do the dual degree?
I'll ask some friends who are in it and get back to you

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the alternate list OOS. Fingers crossed! I'm trying to plan ahead because I have a lot of showers etc going on. Does anyone accepted happen to know the orientation date in case I get in by some miracle? Thanks!!!:)

I'm on the alternate list OOS. Fingers crossed! I'm trying to plan ahead because I have a lot of showers etc going on. Does anyone accepted happen to know the orientation date in case I get in by some miracle? Thanks!!!:)
I am sure you'll get an offer! They said the list moves quickly! In our email they did not tell us any specific dates, just that school starts early Aug.

I'll be giving up my spot as an OOS, for those of you on the waitlist!
a little tough for me to do because I loved Tennessee...but I just can't afford the tuition. I'll be accepting an offer somewhere else
Goodluck to those of you hoping to get in! I hope my spot helps you out :)

The class Presidents for the class above you should make a private Facebook group for you all to meet each other and also learn from the rising second years what you need to know before you get to school. They probably won't make that page until they can get an official list of everybody who has accepted the offer to attend and then they will start adding people to the group. So hold tight until after the reply-by date for sending in your acceptance. And if you wait too much longer after that, let me know and I'll sic somebody on it (the Class of 2018 co-president is my vet school "little sibling").

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, has anyone found somewhere to get their rabies vaccination?

Hi, I just accepted my UTCVM seat (OOS) :soexcited: and was wondering if any current students can give me any insight on what kinds of things I will need to buy as an incoming student (stethoscope, dissection kit, textbooks, etc.) . I called today to ask when we would be getting a list and was told mid May, but that is quite late for me because I am getting married in May and was hoping to put some of this stuff on my wedding registry. My main question is if any current students could give me a generic list, or know if there's a way I could get my hands on a list any earlier. :)

Hi, I just accepted my UTCVM seat (OOS) :soexcited: and was wondering if any current students can give me any insight on what kinds of things I will need to buy as an incoming student (stethoscope, dissection kit, textbooks, etc.) . I called today to ask when we would be getting a list and was told mid May, but that is quite late for me because I am getting married in May and was hoping to put some of this stuff on my wedding registry. My main question is if any current students could give me a generic list, or know if there's a way I could get my hands on a list any earlier. :)
Yes, you will need a stethoscope (search on here because there is a whole thread about which one), dissection kit, and the general school supplies. If you don't have an up to date laptop or tablet, those come in handy. Scrubs and barn clothes are handy as well (coverall, khakis, boots). A cheap lab coat for anatomy (don't wear the nice one they give you at the coating ceremony in lab! ) is also a good idea. If I think of anything else, I'll post. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions!

Yes, you will need a stethoscope (search on here because there is a whole thread about which one), dissection kit, and the general school supplies. If you don't have an up to date laptop or tablet, those come in handy. Scrubs and barn clothes are handy as well (coverall, khakis, boots). A cheap lab coat for anatomy (don't wear the nice one they give you at the coating ceremony in lab! ) is also a good idea. If I think of anything else, I'll post. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions!
I'm assuming they'll send us a textbook list and all that, but I was wondering how much should we expect to spend on textbooks and if we'll need to get all the books or just certain ones?

Thank you so much!! I did look up stethoscope threads and decided a Littmann Cardiology III would be a safe buy, especially since I've used them before. I have a cheap lab coat, good muck boots, and TON of scrubs and barn clothes, including ones that I wouldn't care about getting irreversibly gross (and plenty that are currently irreversibly gross). I thought UTCVM was one of the schools that required you purchase a specific laptop? It's totally possible I mixed things up though.

Thank you so much!! I did look up stethoscope threads and decided a Littmann Cardiology III would be a safe buy, especially since I've used them before. I have a cheap lab coat, good muck boots, and TON of scrubs and barn clothes, including ones that I wouldn't care about getting irreversibly gross (and plenty that are currently irreversibly gross). I thought UTCVM was one of the schools that required you purchase a specific laptop? It's totally possible I mixed things up though.

We do not have a specific laptop requirement, so get what you want!
You will end up choosing a class scrub color for clinics, but for labs and stuff, regular scrubs will be ok.

I have the cardio III as well, I love it!

Also, bandage scissors and cheap hemostats will be needed later on, but if you're registering or trying to get as much as possible those will be a good idea.

Second year you will have to purchase a surgery pack.

I'm assuming they'll send us a textbook list and all that, but I was wondering how much should we expect to spend on textbooks and if we'll need to get all the books or just certain ones?

Honestly, except for anatomy books and the physio book, texts aren't really used. I have bought several texts and not used a single one of them...

There will be a lot of people selling texts if you want to wait until you get here, but they will give you a textbook list.

@Jamr0ckin I figured this might be useful info for everyone
Where do vet students tend to live? I'm not sure when/if i will be able to go to Knoxville to look at housing so i may have to do everything over the internet/phone. I have mostly been looking at places close to campus (the ones in the apartment guide they gave us on the interview day) but I'm also worried that there might be a ton of undergrads in those buildings which could disrupt my studying and/or sleeping if they are loud (not sure if that's a legitimate concern). I would prefer to live alone but I'm not completely opposed to roommates. Do you have any suggestions for places I should look into?

@Jamr0ckin I figured this might be useful info for everyone
Where do vet students tend to live? I'm not sure when/if i will be able to go to Knoxville to look at housing so i may have to do everything over the internet/phone. I have mostly been looking at places close to campus (the ones in the apartment guide they gave us on the interview day) but I'm also worried that there might be a ton of undergrads in those buildings which could disrupt my studying and/or sleeping if they are loud (not sure if that's a legitimate concern). I would prefer to live alone but I'm not completely opposed to roommates. Do you have any suggestions for places I should look into?
I'm going to PM you about where I lived. It used to be graduate only student housing and it was on the other side of the bridge but still only a 10-15 minute ride in with cheaper apartments. Management there got things done quickly, but they are older units.

Hey I am looking at housing too and kind of have the same concerns if anyone has advice! Thanks

I am looking really closely at that manual they gave us at the interview for housing, and I've narrowed it down to 11 possibilities. I've been looking at online ratings to try to get a sense of the place, and one concern that keeps popping up is car break-ins. Are there certain areas I should avoid? I was looking into renting a garage so that I wouldn't have to deal with it, but I'd rather not be in a bad area.

I am looking really closely at that manual they gave us at the interview for housing, and I've narrowed it down to 11 possibilities. I've been looking at online ratings to try to get a sense of the place, and one concern that keeps popping up is car break-ins. Are there certain areas I should avoid? I was looking into renting a garage so that I wouldn't have to deal with it, but I'd rather not be in a bad area.
right around campus (right off the strip) tends to be a higher crime area. I would avoid there.

Agreed. The area directly north of main campus (called Fort Sanders) is an area to avoid. That where all the irresponsible undergrads live and where you are most likely to get robbed. Other than that, you can really go anywhere you want. West Knoxville is nice but a little more expensive than North and South Knoxville. I probably wouldn't look in East Knoxville though.

I have forgotten sooo many things since visiting in Jan durin the interview.. Could someone PLEASE give me a breakdown of the hands-on opportunities/experiences that i would get years 1-3 at UT? Are they built into the curriculum or do we seek them out on our own through clubs/wet labs? What surgeries/procedures can we do before 4th yr (many spays and neuters or just a couple)? Also, are there international opportunities facilitated/funded by the school? Lastly, do graduates feel "practice ready" ????

I was told west Knoxville is a good area to live. Will most people be finding roommates, and if so, what is a good way to go about doing that?

I have forgotten sooo many things since visiting in Jan durin the interview.. Could someone PLEASE give me a breakdown of the hands-on opportunities/experiences that i would get years 1-3 at UT? Are they built into the curriculum or do we seek them out on our own through clubs/wet labs? What surgeries/procedures can we do before 4th yr (many spays and neuters or just a couple)? Also, are there international opportunities facilitated/funded by the school? Lastly, do graduates feel "practice ready" ????
There are a LOT of opportunities to get hands on. Wet labs through clubs, shelter spay/neuter events, and through some classes. year 1 you take a course called physical diagnosis and you will be hands on for the labs in this course.

I was told west Knoxville is a good area to live. Will most people be finding roommates, and if so, what is a good way to go about doing that?
If you wait until the Facebook page gets made (presumably in April once most people have accepted their spots?) I'm sure that would be a good way to find roommates :)

Not sure if anyone here would know this but I figured I would ask:

If my boyfriend were to move to Tennessee and get a job, etc and go through whatever requirements are necessary for him to become a Tennessee resident, and then we got married, would that allow me to switch to in-state residency? This obviously wouldn't be relevant for this upcoming year but I was just wondering.

If my boyfriend were to move to Tennessee and get a job, etc and go through whatever requirements are necessary for him to become a Tennessee resident, and then we got married, would that allow me to switch to in-state residency? This obviously wouldn't be relevant for this upcoming year but I was just wondering.
I think if he did that prior to marriage, yes. But I would double check with the school

Dyachei is correct - if he is a TN resident when you marry, you become a resident and get instate tuition. a few of my classmates did this.

Also - I'm working on the response to some of the more complex questions asked earlier. Expect something tomorrow!

Does anyone know if UTKCVM has posted updated admission stats? Their website seems to only have stats from 2010.

Does anyone know if UTKCVM has posted updated admission stats? Their website seems to only have stats from 2010.
Sadly our website is a little behind. We had paperwork in the admissions packets I believe that outlined last few years of admissions.

Any large animal folks? I feel like everyone I met during interviews was small animal and exotics. :)

After we send in our formal acceptance of a spot in the class, should we expect anything in the mail (admission packet, etc) or any communication? I want to make sure it was received, as I sent it out the day before all heck broke loose with the weather and USPS here gave up for 8 days...but I also don't want to pester admissions. If we're supposed to start getting info from UTCVM, I'll wait to see if I get anything before stressing. :) Anyone know?

After we send in our formal acceptance of a spot in the class, should we expect anything in the mail (admission packet, etc) or any communication? I want to make sure it was received, as I sent it out the day before all heck broke loose with the weather and USPS here gave up for 8 days...but I also don't want to pester admissions. If we're supposed to start getting info from UTCVM, I'll wait to see if I get anything before stressing. :) Anyone know?

I sent my letter in the morning after I received the acceptance and have been in contact with the admissions office asking random questions and they called for my social security number last week. Monday, I happened to ask if they had received my letter, which they confirmed they had. I do know that they're SUPER nice and if you're nervous like I am about telling other schools no before UTK is confirmed, give them a call and just ask! They don't bite like some of our future patients will ;)

I have a question for current UTK students - my brother dropped a wonderful bomb on me the other day - he'd like to buy a house in Knoxville with another property attached, then rent the house to me and have another veterinary student rent the other part of the property. He's looking for a place that's ready to move into, minimal prep-work involved i.e. painting walls at most, probably in West Knoxville. (Side note: I'm a non-trad student, a bit older) Where can we start looking, any recommendations, anyone live out that way, advice? Ideally he'd be looking for a property that's closer to where Mom/Dad and their 2.5 kids live, and any information would be greatly appreciated!!