University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it!

At first, I liked ARCOM better because ARCOM is $13k less per year. And the folks at ARCOM were just as inviting and pleasant as the folks at UIW.

But an ER doc told me "Go with UIW over ARCOM. It's a Texas school. You'll have a slightly better chance when applying to residencies because Texas residencies tend to favor Texas graduates."

Not sure if that's true. But that was enough to make me put the UIW deposit down instead of ARCOM.

UIW also outperformed all other schools I interviewed at during the interviews - the MMI format worked very well for them. I was very impressed.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
The start date is July 31st. There is a week long orientation that starts on July 24th

Hmm. I must have mixed that date up with another school. I could've sworn that's what the presentation said on Friday though.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it!

At first, I liked ARCOM better because ARCOM is $13k less per year. And the folks at ARCOM were just as inviting and pleasant as the folks at UIW.

But an ER doc told me "Go with UIW over ARCOM. It's a Texas school. You'll have a slightly better chance when applying to residencies because Texas residencies tend to favor Texas graduates."

Not sure if that's true. But that was enough to make me put the UIW deposit down instead of ARCOM.

UIW also outperformed all other schools I interviewed at during the interviews - the MMI format worked very well for them. I was very impressed.

It's true. Look how many Texas residencies there are vs how many Arkansas residencies there are. Obviously Texas is a bigger state, so it works to your advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am an old non-traditional applicant, just applied.
Would it be too late for an interview and acceptance?
undergraduate cGPA 2.95, sGPA 2.90, graduate GPA 3.96 (international school), MCAT 504 and 500.
shadowing 88 hours, 26 publications and 20 abstracts for presentation, many scientific awards, 2 international patents, volunteer about >150 -200 hours (not sure, never counted), currently working full time.

Any suggestion for improvements?

Thanks,

Last edited:
undergraduate cGPA 2.95, sGPA 2.90, graduate GPA 3.96 (international school), MCAT 504 and 500.
shadowing 88 hours, 26 publications and 20 abstracts for presentation, many scientific awards, 2 international patents, volunteer about >150 -200 hours (not sure, never counted), currently working full time.

Thanks,

26 publications?!!! Just apply. It's late right now, but you might have a shot. If not, don't worry... a lot of ppl apply around this time and end up having to re-apply. If so, re-apply first thing next cycle to both MD and DO. Many MD schools will have jaws dropping at your publication record, that's for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
What does the admissions email say? I think I might have gotten one in error. I was placed on the waitlist so idk if they are already pulling ppl from the waitlist

I agree with what everyone has been stating above. Statistically speaking, only about 40% of applicants get into medical school, and therefore the majority of people every year are re-applicants. It happens, and he shouldn't see it as a failure but just an opportunity to get better before the next cycle starts. Personally and realistically speaking, I don't think he will get in the cycle if he hasn't had any interview invites yet and especially with his current MCAT score (It's like REALLY BAD!.. we are talking like the 25th percentile where 75% of current applicants are better than him from a test stand-point). You want AT LEAST a 500 score for DO schools to even really be on their radar. I would cancel his upcoming MCAT test, because it's way too late for him and it will be a waste of money and credibility if he's not ready (and unless he has been studying for months, you can't get test-day ready that quickly). If he takes it in a month that means he won't get his scores back for 2 months, and at that point all of the medical schools have pretty much wrapped up their interviews and class picks. I would encourage him to take his test again in April or so, and really study hard for the next couple of months and plan on applying again next cycle early in June (Rolling admissions makes this critical!). Tell him not to give up hope, most people always take the MCAT multiple times (I've taken it 4 times), and the only important thing is that you continue improving, (Schools will see all of your MCAT scores and it looks bad if start to go backwards in your scores). Good luck and PM if you have any questions!

Has any school questioned you why you took the MCAT 4 times? I took the old one twice and the new one once. I want to retake it, but I heard that med schools frown upon it.... I got a 505 because I got 125 on Verbal and Soc/Psych. I don't think I prepared enough for those two. Should I retake it?

The start date is July 31st. There is a week long orientation that starts on July 24th

Hey where did you find this info? I never got it in my packet, but I think it's cause they left out a ton of info for the first interview group. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Because it is all case based, attendance is mandatory.

100% mandatory everything or just certain lectures/activities? Someone also mentioned the lectures would be recorded.

I never got questioned about, but I always improved every time (Who knows, maybe some schools didn't invite me because of it).... You definitely take a risk by taking the MCAT though, you could end up with a worse score as your latest one, and that would certainly be frowned upon.

Has any school questioned you why you took the MCAT 4 times? I took the old one twice and the new one once. I want to retake it, but I heard that med schools frown upon it.... I got a 505 because I got 125 on Verbal and Soc/Psych. I don't think I prepared enough for those two. Should I retake it?

Hey where did you find this info? I never got it in my packet, but I think it's cause they left out a ton of info for the first interview group. Thanks!
On the UIW portal after you have been accepted there are conditions of acceptance. One of them is "Attendance at mandatory one-week orientation program beginning July 24, 2017*". I called admissions and ask if class started after the week-long orientation and they confirmed that it did.

Reactions: 1 users
26 publications?!!! Just apply. It's late right now, but you might have a shot. If not, don't worry... a lot of ppl apply around this time and end up having to re-apply. If so, re-apply first thing next cycle to both MD and DO. Many MD schools will have jaws dropping at your publication record, that's for sure.

Thank you for the kind words.
Not sure if this publication is good because it comes with age.
This year, my application was not successful, only rejections, no single interview.

Thank you for the kind words.
Not sure if this publication is good because it comes with age.
This year, my application was not successful, only rejections, no single interview.
The undergraduate GPA is low, but if you get a great MCAT score next time around (above 510, shoot for 520) you will be fine. Also up your volunteering. Do not give up on next cycle; write a good, honest essay and you will be surprised how many schools will invite. Basically, if GPA is low, try to really get an exceptional MCAT Score and good volunteering/shadowing along with well-written essay. Find other premeds or medical students who will read your essays. Don't give up! And good luck!

Regarding your question whether to apply to UIWSOM, yes! Try it out, you might get an interview, and if you don't get accepted, it is very good practice.

Thanks,

The undergraduate GPA is low, but if you get a great MCAT score next time around (above 510, shoot for 520) you will be fine. Also up your volunteering. Do not give up on next cycle; write a good, honest essay and you will be surprised how many schools will invite. Basically, if GPA is low, try to really get an exceptional MCAT Score and good volunteering/shadowing along with well-written essay. Find other premeds or medical students who will read your essays. Don't give up! And good luck!

Regarding your question whether to apply to UIWSOM, yes! Try it out, you might get an interview, and if you don't get accepted, it is very good practice.

Holy frijoles!! 510?!? I had higher undergrad GPA (3.5) than NonTrad, but I only had a 501 and I got admitted here! The grad school GPA will help a little, but I also agree with everything else that Xerxesc said. That getting more volunteer and medical clinical experiences you can get the better. Especially if you can work one-on-one with a doctor who can write a super personalized letter of recommendation. And working really hard to have solid essays that say who you are.

Holy frijoles!! 510?!? I had higher undergrad GPA (3.5) than NonTrad, but I only had a 501 and I got admitted here! The grad school GPA will help a little, but I also agree with everything else that Xerxesc said. That getting more volunteer and medical clinical experiences you can get the better. Especially if you can work one-on-one with a doctor who can write a super personalized letter of recommendation. And working really hard to have solid essays that say who you are.
I agree 10000% that one should shoot for above 510 to make up for the bad GPA's (less than 3.3). What does it mean to shoot for above 510? It means to put in twice the time and take 10 to 15 full length practice exams under normal exam conditions. It's do-able!

I got this advice from my brother who is a doc. I had a 3.2 ugpa, 3.5 ggpa, 3.9 scpa. To make up for that 3.2, I needed a goooood mcat!

Took 11 full length practice, spent 5 months studying 20+ hours a week (not including practice exams), and got a 513.

That 513 saved my rear!!

That's the best advice for us low GPA folks (regardless of grad GPA unless you do an Smp): prepare for the mcat like you need to be able to take it in your sleep and get a 510+.

Reactions: 2 users
Turned down acceptance today. Was a tough decision. Really like the mission of this school. Good luck to all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A lot of people seem to be going elsewhere - not surprising with a new school. Any idea how many have currently been accepted and committed to go here? Not sure how we would have an idea... but I'm curious.

Wow. I don't know if I should be encouraged that there are 45 seats still open or discouraged that so many have been filled.

Wow. I don't know if I should be encouraged that there are 45 seats still open or discouraged that so many have been filled.
Gulliver Dark,

After the Texas match on Feb 1, committed students will un-commit and seats will open up.

I wouldn't be concerned about too many or too few seats being filled at this point.

-jtr0024

The waitlist etc will get a lot of movement when students who are committed get accepted somewhere else. I wouldn't worry too much :)

Gulliver Dark,

After the Texas match on Feb 1, committed students will un-commit and seats will open up.

I wouldn't be concerned about too many or too few seats being filled at this point.

-jtr0024

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement.
I aimed 520, but I ended up with low MCAT unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice.

Gulliver Dark,

-jtr0024

Hey! What are you referring to when you say the "Texas match on Feb 1?

Hey! What are you referring to when you say the "Texas match on Feb 1?
You have to turn in a rankings list if you applied through TMDSAS of all Texas Public Med schools by Jan 20th. Then if you get multiple acceptances, by Feb 1st you match to your highest ranked acceptance and release your other lower ranked acceptances so you don't hold onto several acceptances for months on end.

Does anyone know if they send rejection letters and how soon? Getting impatient over here waiting, I applied in the beginning of October

II just now! Just wondering if the other II emails had the bolded part about how you may be interviewing for a possible waitlist or deferral spot or if mine just had that little tid bit because its getting late in the cycle. kind of ominous and not really what I want to hear lol

II just now! Just wondering if the other II emails had the bolded part about how you may be interviewing for a possible waitlist or deferral spot or if mine just had that little tid bit because its getting late in the cycle. kind of ominous and not really what I want to hear lol
Hi Wcm21: I interviewed on January 14, 2017. I received my interview invite towards the end of November; my interview invite did not have a bolded part about how I may be interviewing for a possible waitlist or defferal spot.
All I can say is that you should go for the interview; it is a wonderful experience: the staff is friendly, the questions during the MMI are great. If you are out of State, you will meet the species that is Texan - they are awesome and friendly and encouraging. You never know, there might be a lot of movement if you are indeed put on a waiting list. Go, it is absolutely worth it. The medical school and its mission are interesting. Go and I wish you much luck.

Hi Wcm21: I interviewed on January 14, 2017. I received my interview invite towards the end of November; my interview invite did not have a bolded part about how I may be interviewing for a possible waitlist or defferal spot.
All I can say is that you should go for the interview; it is a wonderful experience: the staff is friendly, the questions during the MMI are great. If you are out of State, you will meet the species that is Texan - they are awesome and friendly and encouraging. You never know, there might be a lot of movement if you are indeed put on a waiting list. Go, it is absolutely worth it. The medical school and its mission are interesting. Go and I wish you much luck.
Oh yeah I'm definitely going. I'm from Texas so that alone makes this school a top choice for me. It appears they have added that little bit to the new emails then. Oh well I expect a lot of waitlist movement for this school. Thanks for your response!

I think you are safe going to the interview and can have confidence that you really might get a spot! There will be so many people that drop out of UIW once the Texas Match Day happens on February 1st. You can bet that if people receive an offer to one of the other Texas MD schools that they will drop their acceptance to this one. And then UIW will have to start scrambling to fill up again from the upcoming round of interview applicants... You can imagine that the people who choose to accept and attend the interview invitation after the Texas Match Day will obviously be more serious about attending this school b/c it probably means that they don't have offers anywhere else.

awesome! Are you scheduled for February or March?

Hopefully those of us waiting to hear back after our interview hear something soon!

Are acceptances by email? Or do I remember some people getting phone calls earlier in the cycle?

Are acceptances by email? Or do I remember some people getting phone calls earlier in the cycle?

I received a phone call in the beginning, and then an email shortly afterwards... But with the school's large turnover, I could imagine that the phone calls might have slowly stopped and just emails are being sent out, (But I could be wrong).

I received a phone call in the beginning, and then an email shortly afterwards... But with the school's large turnover, I could imagine that the phone calls might have slowly stopped and just emails are being sent out, (But I could be wrong).

Thanks! I guess that makes sense. Really hoping to hear back soon as I have a deposit due on Wednesday

Does anyone have any idea how large the current accepted class or waitlist size is?

Thanks! I guess that makes sense. Really hoping to hear back soon as I have a deposit due on Wednesday

You might be in luck though b/c the Texas Match Day is February 1st, and people will drop out of UIW for other Texas MD schools and create a need to fill those spaces!.. The only real question is how quickly UIW will start emailing/calling the alternatives.

Does anyone have any idea how large the current accepted class or waitlist size is?

The inaugural class size will be 150 students... I don't really know how you would be able to find out the current accepted/wait-list size. There has to be a large amount of turnover, especially after next week's Texas Match Day, so those numbers are constantly changing.

You might be in luck though b/c the Texas Match Day is February 1st, and people will drop out of UIW for other Texas MD schools and create a need to fill those spaces!.. The only real question is how quickly UIW will start emailing/calling the alternatives.

True. But I am just at 2 weeks post interview, so I could still have another week.