UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess its going to be about another month until periodic waitlist movement begins.

Is everyone completing their FAFSA for TCOM eventhough you are on the waitlist?

yep I sent out my fafsa about a month ago :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, same here. I figure it's the only thing we can do so, it was like first on the list. That said, I hope there isn't anything beyond sending it to them, like filling out more forms on the MyUNT page, or is there?

April is almost here, I hope we all get some good news. Anyone have any updates from them? I know they said sending updated transcripts or letters of intent will do not much has anyone thought of sending one anyways. I do no think it will hurt, it shows our interest in going there.

Members don't see this ad :)
April is almost here, I hope we all get some good news. Anyone have any updates from them? I know they said sending updated transcripts or letters of intent will do not much has anyone thought of sending one anyways. I do no think it will hurt, it shows our interest in going there.

I really hope we get some good news too. There are some of us who really want to go there. I've thought about the letter of intent too.

This thread is too quiet lately.

If you really, really want to go to TCOM then I would definitely say send them anything and everything that could improve your file. It might not make a HUGE difference, but even a "little" difference can make a difference. Definitely send a letter of intent, updated transcripts, updated information about what you've been doing, etc. It can only help. You want the school to know that if they were to let you in you'd DEFINITELY go there. That's my 2 cents

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]removed

Last edited:
If you really, really want to go to TCOM then I would definitely say send them anything and everything that could improve your file. It might not make a HUGE difference, but even a "little" difference can make a difference. Definitely send a letter of intent, updated transcripts, updated information about what you've been doing, etc. It can only help. You want the school to know that if they were to let you in you'd DEFINITELY go there. That's my 2 cents

Well, that's the problem. The ranked list has already been made, if our calls are deemed correct. We could add to the application but in all honesty, I don't think it can directly affect our situation.

The best thing to do right now is to complete FinAid and submit it to them to show that you're still making arrangements for them. That's all I can see helping at this point.

Well, that's the problem. The ranked list has already been made, if our calls are deemed correct. We could add to the application but in all honesty, I don't think it can directly affect our situation.

The best thing to do right now is to complete FinAid and submit it to them to show that you're still making arrangements for them. That's all I can see helping at this point.

I just know if it were me I'd do everything within my power to show them I was still 100% interested. I think having your name be familiar to them, and just putting yourself out there definitely can't hurt. I know some schools that I interviewed at would rank you and then rerank you based on the supplemental information that you sent. Since it can't HURT you in any way, if I were you I'd submit everything...but I'm also crazy about things like that. Good luck!!! :)

yeah I have thought about it and I am gonna go ahead and mail a letter of intent. I have been drafting one for a little while not sure if I was gonna send one, but I decided it wouldn't hurt! Oh and I had a question....do we send updated transcripts through TMDSAS or directly to TCOM?

Yeah, I had one drafted and pretty much ready to go (there's not much to say, is there?) but I was killed on the notion after speaking on the phone with admissions. Still, I agree; in most cases, you should do anything and everything in your power to make them know you're still interested.

I also don't know about the updated transcripts. I plan to just send mine straight to them for my SMP.

for anyone else wondering about where to send transcripts I asked today and you should send them directly to TCOM....hope we hear something soon :xf:

I dont think there is too much to say other than restating interest, maybe any new activities. I do not think it will hurt, I just wish it would help in terms of ranking on the waitlist. Do you guys know how other Texas medical schools have their waitlists? I know A&M lets there waitlisters send in an extra personal statement and another letter of rec.

I was reading on other threads, that UT-Houston has had some movement on their waitlist. A few people have withdrawn from Tech, UTSA, and Tech El-Paso. So maybe the movement is just beginning. Have not seen anything from TCOM though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, they're moving already? Hopefully anyone who gets lucky can post on here and let us know that they're making decisions.

I think I might suck it up and throw that LoI at them. I blame you all for convincing me :)

Anyhow, I plan to call them tomorrow finally and see what's up. Anyone else doing so too?

As for the OOS waitlist....there has been no movement. I asked at the same time I asked about sending in transcripts and I was told that movement doesn't start until May/June :scared: I am gonna send my LOI tomorrow!

Megan, did they say anything about sending letters of intent. Thanks for the help.

I called today and asked about the waitlist for instaters and they said there is also no movement. I asked about LoIs as well and she gave me the same response: waitlist rankings have already been decided and it is simply up to the accepted class' decisions that will dictate movement.

So, yeah, it was pretty clear this time. I think I'll send mine anyway, but...I guess someone else can confirm what I said. It seems that they're not that busy right now, so call away.

to be honest, I didn't ask about LOI's because I knew I would get the same response everyone else does....but I am going to send one anyway. The way I see it is....someone HAS to look at that letter to put it in your file, and even if they say that it doesnt make a difference, it will still be looked at. That's my take on it anyway :rolleyes: can't hurt right?

Yeah, everyone says it can't hurt and I feel like sending mine too. I just feel like they want to get across that it has been decided already and it is out of the admissions and the administrators' hands, since they're the ones that will probably be reading these letters. I think I just didn't want to tell myself that this would make a difference, and I don't know how they'll react.

Either way, if the waitlist moves, it will pick people who sent one or not. When I think of it that way, I can't help but see it as a tried and true waitlist: there's nothing to do but wait :(

I mean all in the other threads, you see people sending in transcripts, LoIs, etc. and it has an effect, but I think admissions has made it clear (since this would be the 2nd time I directly asked them), if LoIs or anything for that matter would improve our situation on the waitlist and each time, I've received a resounding no. Still, I'm with you megan; I'm sending mine anyway, but I'm not going to pretend that this is the deal breaker.

I agree with you both of you guys on this. It is kind of frusturating to get that resounding know espicially when everyone is sending transcripts, letters, and additional letters of recommendation. But I am sure they have their reasonings for why they do things the way they do. I am going to take you guys' approach. I think I will send one towards the end of the semester when my final grades come out since the grades are looking good now. Thanks for the info guys.

I got the same response recently. There has been no movement yet and sending in updated information will not make a difference since everybody has already been ranked. I'm curious as to how many individuals they place on the waitlist though. I agree with you guys though, that it can't hurt to send an LOI, atleast they will know who is really interested in attending.

However, there has been a little movement in a few other schools - mentioned in the Republic of Texas Thread.

I am curious as well as to how many people are on the waiting list. My gut feeling is its everyone who interviewed but did not get matched which would make it a long waiting list :(

For those of you who are planning on going to TCOM next year have you looked for apartments yet? If there are any current tcom students here what areas are good to live ive been searching around the area and have been getting not so good reviews on places. Thank you

I got the same response recently. There has been no movement yet and sending in updated information will not make a difference since everybody has already been ranked. I'm curious as to how many individuals they place on the waitlist though. I agree with you guys though, that it can't hurt to send an LOI, atleast they will know who is really interested in attending.

However, there has been a little movement in a few other schools - mentioned in the Republic of Texas Thread.

I am curious as well as to how many people are on the waiting list. My gut feeling is its everyone who interviewed but did not get matched which would make it a long waiting list :(

I fought for a number when asking admissions who is on the waitlist and they said the waitlist is 'fairly selective', and that's about as specific as they got. It kills me that they're extremely secretive, but I know they're not alone. AZCOM also has an 'unranked' waitlist, but they do like extra stuff you send to them.

The thing is the more I dug for a concrete answer, I finally got a story that the waitlist is finalized and locked in the Dean's office, not to be seem by any admissions staff. As they say, they couldn't tell us even if they wanted to.

So even the admissions committee does not know. I guess fairly selective indicates that there is some selectivity so maybe its not a like a 200 person waiting list--for us the more selective the better. Looking at the RoT threat it seems that things are beginning to move slightly espicially with Baylor acceptances.

Yeah, I'm thinking that not everyone got shoved onto the waitlist after the match.

Wow, so Baylor is accepting people off their waitlist? That's mighty interesting, although they are more independent when it comes to this process, right? Still, it's nice to see movement. I really need to lurk in RoT again.

Yeah, I'm thinking that not everyone got shoved onto the waitlist after the match.

Wow, so Baylor is accepting people off their waitlist? That's mighty interesting, although they are more independent when it comes to this process, right? Still, it's nice to see movement. I really need to lurk in RoT again.

UTH took some people off of the waitlist, and I've heard of one person coming off the waitlist at UTSA, all according to SDN. Baylor remains a huge mystery-nobody knows if they are done handing out acceptances and when the waitlist is coming out. People call on the same day and are told completely opposite things. I had a a friend who called last Thursday and was told they are still making direct offers (orignially they were supposed to finish those in March) and the waitlist would come out after two weeks (originally was told it would be the first week of April). So Baylor=:confused::confused::confused:

I will say that I have heard and observed most of the movement happens after May 15th-that lovely little national deadline. But the comfort (I think) is that all Texas schools, including Baylor, are not allowed to make an offer to a student who is already holding a postion at another Texas school after June 15th. So really, most Texas residents who are planning to stay in Texas, know their fate that day. So I am guessing more movement happens around that time as well.

Sorry for the confusion Flushot, I think Baylor starts offering acceptances early April. Many of there acceptances have places at other Texas schools forcing them to give up the spot to go to Baylor and that starts the waitlist movement. I have been reading the republic of texas, and UTSA apparently has about only 30 people on their waitlist. That post said about 10-15 make it. So if TCOM has about 30 then there is a chance.

Thanks raaska and mzebda. Oh and congrats on TCOM raaska! You need to stop by more often :)

I already know of those deadlines actually; that's why I was surprised that people are acting already. I'm thinking most people just want to begin setting up housing arrangements now so they're settling on where to go a little early. I hadn't expected to hear anything, in early May.

So, yeah, no worries everyone.

Hey guys, just got into A&M off the waitlist and I'll be declining my spot at TCOM. Flushot, mzebda, and megan... All the best and good luck!

Hey, thanks for the heads up! Maybe somebody here will get the lucky call :)

Thanks raaska and mzebda. Oh and congrats on TCOM raaska! You need to stop by more often :)

Thank you :D I joined SDN late in the game, but always a lurker of the thread until now.....if I hear anything useful, I will definitely pass it on.

Hey guys, just got into A&M off the waitlist and I'll be declining my spot at TCOM. Flushot, mzebda, and megan... All the best and good luck!

Yay, many congrats!

I fought for a number when asking admissions who is on the waitlist and they said the waitlist is 'fairly selective', and that's about as specific as they got. It kills me that they're extremely secretive, but I know they're not alone.

The thing is the more I dug for a concrete answer, I finally got a story that the waitlist is finalized and locked in the Dean's office, not to be seem by any admissions staff. As they say, they couldn't tell us even if they wanted to.

Yeah, I inquired about how many people were on the waitlist too, but did not get a concrete number. But only selective students are waitlisted, I know that. So that makes me assume it is not that long of a list.

As waitlists move at other schools, TCOM's waitlist should move as well. The shuffling has just started with UTH, UTSA and A&M accepting people of waitlists, thus freeing up slots elsewhere. As for Baylor, they are accepting a combination of IS and OOS, thus I think balyor acceptances wont always move other waitlists.

The waitlists will probably start moving more towards the end of the month and may, june as well.

So we'll just have to continue to keep our fingers crossed. :) :thumbup:

Last edited:

Congrats and thanks! unfortunately, I don't think I will get much benefit from movement at other Texas schools since im OOS :thumbdown: Good luck at A&M :luck:

well it was selective enough to just get an interview, that means they could still say that the waitlist is selective. I havent talked to anyone that interviewed who has been denied have yall?

well it was selective enough to just get an interview, that means they could still say that the waitlist is selective. I havent talked to anyone that interviewed who has been denied have yall?

I just want to let the OOS applicants on the waitlist that there is one new spot opening up because I withdrew a couple of days ago. Good luck and I hope one of you get my spot.

thanks live4life you made my day haha where are you gonna go next year??

I just want to let the OOS applicants on the waitlist that there is one new spot opening up because I withdrew a couple of days ago. Good luck and I hope one of you get my spot.

Hey, I remember you were in here as one of the few people in Dec that got that lucky call. Anyhow, it was good to have you and good luck to you.

Hey, I remember you were in here as one of the few people in Dec that got that lucky call. Anyhow, it was good to have you and good luck to you.

Thanks for the well wishes. I don't know what happened with my previous post, it posted three times. Guess it's fixed now.

It seems that the waitlists of every other school but TCOM's have moved. Has anyone heard anything new?

Maybe they wait and give out 2-3 acceptances off the waitlist at once.

Seems like waitlists at other schools are starting to move. Haven't heard of any TCOM Movement lately though.

I forsee movement within the next week.. Many who are waitlisted for TCOM are also waitlisted for the medical masters program there as well. We were told the masters waitlist will start moving on the 27th. Only a few days left!

I forsee movement within the next week.. Many who are waitlisted for TCOM are also waitlisted for the medical masters program there as well. We were told the masters waitlist will start moving on the 27th. Only a few days left!

That's interesting. I remember that when I applied to TCOM's SMP last year (I was rejected :(), their big day was April 20th, so maybe a week later would make sense for that wait list too.

Yeah, maybe they're just compiling everything for pulses of acceptances, like dcowboys said. Either that or the lucky few who got a call don't go on SDN.

That is kind of interesting. I guess if many people are on the TCOM waitlist are also on the med science program then I wonder if the waitlist is really big it would seem so.

so when did the waitlist start moving for the DO school last year?

Based on last years thread, it seems that movement started in late April and continued until July.

Haha, yep, that would be around next week. Maybe we'll finally get some action :laugh:

So, did everyone else get crickets too? It's a little unfortunate that no one has heard anything despite it being a week later :(

I'd like even if the SMP applicants came in with some good news. I wonder if anyone has moved on any list.

It seems that this week was quiet and April was quiet was well. So hopefully things will pick up in May. I think every school has had some type of waitlist movement at least on SDN with the exception of TCOM. I guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Yeah its been real quiet. Hopefully it will pick up over the next couple of weeks.

Weeks? Haha, I'm hoping Monday that someone hears something. It's possible that they waited until after May 1st to make decisions about the waitlist, so next week might be the real winner. That said, it would really suck if they dragged this into next month. Oh well....

Status
Not open for further replies.