UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While at AZCOM, there were two Texans in my interview group, and they also applied to TCOM. They both encouraged me to call the admissions office to check up on my application because that is what they both had done. They also said that the adcoms told them that they like it when students call in the check up because it shows interest. WELL, I beg to differ. I called today to "check my status" and was told that if I hadn't heard anything by e-mail or phone that there obviously were not any updates on my application. The adcom didn't even ask for my name or anything :mad:! I am getting real annoyed....since a couple weeks ago when I e-mailed admissions, they said my "application will be reviewed within the next couple of days". I don't think Texas likes me :( but, I am keeping my hopes up. Good luck to you with interviews coming up, if there are any!

Yeah, I get really nervous calling Admissions because I'm afraid they'll be irritated. But, I think it is also situational. They have a few administrators so maybe it was a bad day.

All I know is you should avoid calling for the next 2-3 weeks due to match. When it settles, they might even go out to you with an invite, but seriously, don't give up. There's a lot of time.

jpt, I don't know if they would hold themselves to that because they probably made up their minds about many interviewees already. Like megan just demonstrated, you really have to take anecdotal evidence for what it is.

Members don't see this ad.

oh... nov 14/15 is right around the corner... i'm keeping my fingers crossed for us flushot! (sorry I haven't visited this thread in a while) the Texas XX is getting depressing to me:(

I can't focus on anything right now... I'm already thinking about my application for next cycle:eek: not a good idea.

Positive vibes, my friend. Even if there isn't any news on the 14th, it's not over until the real match. That's my hope anyway.

Yeah, the pre-allo TX thread is a pretty tight knit place. Their crazy high numbers does a number on the morale too :oops: I remember seeing everyone post their stats and I'm like I really hope this is just the small % of SDN people.

Hey, just stick here; much more cozy. Good luck to you though on Friday. I may be in and out; it's finals week right now :(

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah... i know what you mean (preallo thread)... Good luck to you on all your finals!

Yeah, pre-allo has that aura that kinda drags you down sometimes. Other times, it gives me false hope about how the TX schools will act. I mean, there's always uncertainty and the speculation in the thread is fun to talk about it, but I find it hard to talk it solidly.

Well, some info is pretty interesting, like UTMB and UTSW fill up most of their seats pre-match, but in the end, you never know for sure until the Feb. I know the pre-allo people mean well, but it's hard to chime in.

Keep the hope and thanks :)

Last edited:
:laugh:

This thread gets kind of lonely. I figure not a lot of SDNers apply to TCOM and the ones that do usually just do all of TX, so they end up hanging out at the Republic of TX thread. But, I'm here as always ;)

I bounce between the Republic of Texas thread and this one, with occassional ventures to the non-trad forum.

I bounce between the Republic of Texas thread and this one, with occassional ventures to the non-trad forum.

Me too. I think I need to stay away from the Republic of Texas thread for a while. The nervous energy, speculation and constant analysis of stats, VD's, etc don't do good things for my stress levels!

If I don't stay away I might find myself on Friday night taking shots of Patron and chasing them with Pepto Bismol!!! JK! :D

Me too. I think I need to stay away from the Republic of Texas thread for a while. The nervous energy, speculation and constant analysis of stats, VD's, etc don't do good things for my stress levels!

If I don't stay away I might find myself on Friday night taking shots of Patron and chasing them with Pepto Bismol!!! JK! :D

ok this may sound so stupid, but on the republic thread its like they are speaking another language. What the hell are vd's and all those other abbreviations?? :rolleyes:

hey guys - i interviewed at tcom in september and received a rejection letter about a week ago. has anyone had a similar experience? i'm a little shocked considering i felt my interviews went really well and i've been accepted at other schools. i wasn't aware that it was possible to get rejected before the 15th. i called the school for feedback, and of course no one has even bothered to return my messages. any thoughts?

ok this may sound so stupid, but on the republic thread its like they are speaking another language. What the hell are vd's and all those other abbreviations?? :rolleyes:

They are referring to dates on your applicant profile on the TMDSAS website.
VD= validation date (or venereal disease if your poking fun!)
LMU= last master update
RCW= record of college coursework

All the speculation is sooooo bad for my nerves. :D I'm trying to ignore everything and not get my hopes up for Friday. With my stats, I very well may be waiting until Feb. 1.

Anyone heard from TCOM this week?

They are referring to dates on your applicant profile on the TMDSAS website.
VD= validation date (or venereal disease if your poking fun!)
LMU= last master update
RCW= record of college coursework

All the speculation is sooooo bad for my nerves. :D I'm trying to ignore everything and not get my hopes up for Friday. With my stats, I very well may be waiting until Feb. 1.

Anyone heard from TCOM this week?

thanks for the translation :laugh: did you interview at TCOM??

Members don't see this ad :)
okay I have never really paid any attention to my TMDSAS, but as for the validation date....what exactly does that mean, and is it bad if you don't have a date there, but just 000000?? :confused:

EDIT: nevermind, minor freak out, I figured out you don't get validated until after you interview!

Last edited:
Everyone seems nicer on this thread than the R of T! I think all the VD, LMU business really doesn't mean much. I'm not speculating because its a waste of energy. So what is everyone doing Friday evening.....going out?, drinking at home while refreshing their inbox?...lol...I'll probably be doing the later. Good luck to everyone!

thanks for the translation :laugh: did you interview at TCOM??

Nope. :( Did you? I wonder when I should give up hope of an interview? I know someone who is friends with an M1 there and was told only to worry if I didn't hear by December? Any ideas?

Everyone seems nicer on this thread than the R of T! I think all the VD, LMU business really doesn't mean much. I'm not speculating because its a waste of energy. So what is everyone doing Friday evening.....going out?, drinking at home while refreshing their inbox?...lol...I'll probably be doing the later. Good luck to everyone!

I don't know yet! But I'm sure that refreshing my inbox will play a significant role. I know I shouldn't, but I doubt I'll be able to help myself!! Good luck to you as well! :luck:

Nope. :( Did you? I wonder when I should give up hope of an interview? I know someone who is friends with an M1 there and was told only to worry if I didn't hear by December? Any ideas?

No, but at least you are in-state, I am pretty sure my chances are shot being OOS and not hearing anything yet. I am kinda giving up after that call a couple of days ago to the admissions office. You still have time, good luck!!! :luck:

hey guys - i interviewed at tcom in september and received a rejection letter about a week ago. has anyone had a similar experience? i'm a little shocked considering i felt my interviews went really well and i've been accepted at other schools. i wasn't aware that it was possible to get rejected before the 15th. i called the school for feedback, and of course no one has even bothered to return my messages. any thoughts?

Are you OOS? Then they can send you a notice either way. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but it's good to know that you got in other schools. Good luck wherever you end up.

As for the VD talk, I haven't received a change either. I think the consensus is that it doesn't really mean anything in terms of what notices you get.

It must be rough to wait, but don't give up. There's still over a month and make sure to keep your phone on, because they'll probably call you.

I'm actually getting more nervous as Friday rolls around. Sadly, we'll have to wait until 5pm or so, but I hope there's an offer sitting in my TMDSAS page when it comes.

I admire everyone's desire to go to TCOM a lot. This nonsensical process has made me want to go there even more, more so than any other school that I've come this close to getting in to. The location, proximity to family, cost, curriculum...just the idea that it is so close, it keeps me up at night.

I apologize if that's not what ya'll wanted to hear right now but I needed to get that off somewhere on this thread before the big day :oops:

Anyhow, stay strong, show TCOM your interest and fight to the end.

hey flushot, thanks for responding to my question. i forgot to mention i am in state - that's why i'm a little confused

Wow, that is confusing. It's possible that there was some technicality that might've autorejected you before the prematch. It's definitely worth questioning if you're still very interested in TCOM.

However, calling them around the days after the match is going to be a pain indeed. I would wait at least a week from Friday before contacting them if you want a real answer. Odds are they're going to get hailed with correspondence in the coming two weeks.

EDIT - I forgot to ask, but did you also check TCOM's status page? Does it say that "Your application is no longer under consideration" or something to that effect?

I'm not sure either... I thought you would get "waitlisted" or something if you didn't get an offer right away, obviously if you got an interview, it must mean that you are a very eligible candidate! During the presentation at the interview I thought they said they sent out the rejection letters pretty fast, but I thought it was for the people who didn't get interviews. Like flushot said, I'd question it because I haven't heard of anyone else getting a rejection letter... and check the status page... I just discovered it yesterday.

Congrats on the other acceptances, I haven't heard from anyplace else, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for TCOM. I hope everything works out for you!:)

Yeah, here is what my status page says. This corrects my other claim that the page will tell you what happens, which it may or may not.

I applied last year (2007) and did not get an interview. My status for that attempt is on the page and it says:

Your application has been reviewed. Notification of your status will be sent via U.S. mail.

I applied for their SMP in March 2008. In April, I got this message notice:

We are unable to admit every applicant due to a limited number of seats available. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you admission at this time.

No email, no letter, just this.

This cycle, post-interview, this is what it says for me:

Your application is under review.

So, I'm very curious to see what your status is if you got rejected before the prematch date for in state.

ok flushot thanks for the info - wow, i really think there is a technical glich going on. i was having issues accessing the status pg and euid problems. i finally got into the system and it is just pulling up last year's application status - it does say "Your application has been reviewed. Notification of your status will be sent via U.S. mail." - and that is for my 2007 application ( i did not receive an interview invitation last yr). there is no record of my 2008 application in the system. so now i do feel a little better, like something crazy is going on. i know weird things happen - last yr i got a reject letter from a med sch i didn't even apply to...

and i'm sending good vibes to you guys too :)

That IS interesting! No status for 2008; I definitely think there's an error here. If it's eating you inside, you could try calling tomorrow. I just think that by Friday, you'll have to wait it out, but until then, check TMDSAS on Friday along with the rest of us. There could be good news :)

ok thanks i'll prob just wait until fri to check tmdsas because i'm not getting too much help or info by calling... and i'll keep you updated - good luck too :)

Yeah, no problem. Please come back and let everyone know what happens in this thread, if you're willing to share that is ;)

Good luck to you on Friday too.

This is just a thought, but I wonder whether TMDSAS will actually have acceptances posted on friday. I would expect the schools to get in touch directly with the accepted students via phone, email, and snail mail, and do the same with TMDSAS, but then TMDSAS will have to update everyone's file, and that will take time.

Personally, I'll be hitting 'refresh' every 30 seconds with my right hand, and watching my phone in my left one :)

So is this assumed friday pre-match going to be on tmdsas or will it be on TCOM's website after we log in? Where would the pre-match be located in either option

TMDSAS will not post pre-match offers unless you get multiple ones, and I doubt they'd have them up sooner than you would find out from schools individually.

Good luck Friday to all!

Wait, I was convinced that TMDSAS will still post prematch offers whether you have 1 or 7 interviews. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check on Friday anyway.

If this is the case, then I guess they can only send out notices on Friday anyway. That would actually be better if the school personally contacts you.

So... "under review" is still good...i hope. Let's wait it out. I don't want to get on til Friday:rolleyes:

Yeah, going off what the 2007-2008 thread said, it seems TCOM will call you and/or send a letter for prematch. There wasn't much talk about the status page other than for people who didn't get into immediately and had to wait until Feb 1st. They didn't talk about TMDSAS much either.

Aw, come on - we aren't THAT bad, are we?? =P

How's everyone over here doing? This process is NOT fun. Just like it wasn't last year. :rolleyes:

I don't think utjsm08 meant any harm. I'd say its the general feel of pre-allo and how everyone in the R of T thread is very tight knit, so it's hard to get in on the socializing.

Most of pre-allo means well and tells it like it is so I hang out there for that. It's just when it comes to TCOM talk, it rarely happens in RoT so we just run back here for that.

No, just you because you're an Aggie....haha totally kidding! (but seriously) ;)

Oh hey, I just noticed you're from UT too. It seems you're sitting pretty for Friday. For me, TCOM may be my only shot at staying in TX, which is what I'm hoping for.

Oh hey, I just noticed you're from UT too. It seems you're sitting pretty for Friday. For me, TCOM may be my only shot at staying in TX, which is what I'm hoping for.

Well, I hope you get it! You obviously really really really want this if you have taken the MCAT 4 times. I wish you the best of luck!

Yeah...I was thinking that if it didn't work this time around, I would considering running a 5th time, but everyone I've spoken to says not to do that.

TCOM happens to be only 45 minutes away from most of my immediate family, so it's not just an 'any school in TX' deal. Somehow, if I luck out, it'll be as if everything fell in to place. I can only hope I'm that lucky.

Thanks for the wishes. Good luck to you on Friday too, but it looks like you got it in the bag somewhere :)

Hey dazed, you did get an interview at TCOM right? It's been a few months since the last 2 pages or so, and I think we were talking about it.

Are you excited about the 15th then?

i'm scared to bits. i'm up @1am just thinking and praying about it. can't sleep and its 2 days ahead.

u got me all freaked out now. i received a letter dated one week after i interviewed. as soon as i read ur post i woke up to go find it and make sure it wasn't a rejection letter.

wheeew!! all it said was thank for ur interest and applying......

has anybody else received letters?

Dazed, we figured that what happened to mrjay is a mistake in which I hope he clears up soon.

I know, I have a biochem final tomorrow at 9am but this is still stuck on my mind like crazy...I hope to hear something by Friday, if anything. I'm thinking it might not come until a few days later, if I'm lucky.

Dazed, we figured that what happened to mrjay is a mistake in which I hope he clears up soon.

I know, I have a biochem final tomorrow at 9am but this is still stuck on my mind like crazy...I hope to hear something by Friday, if anything. I'm thinking it might not come until a few days later, if I'm lucky.

Goodluck on ur biochem Flushot.

MrJay, glad that was a fluke.

I hope we all hear something in the coming week, as a reward for spending most of our days on SDN.

I don't think utjsm08 meant any harm. I'd say its the general feel of pre-allo and how everyone in the R of T thread is very tight knit, so it's hard to get in on the socializing.

Most of pre-allo means well and tells it like it is so I hang out there for that. It's just when it comes to TCOM talk, it rarely happens in RoT so we just run back here for that.

Haha I know, I was just giving him a hard time. :p Good luck this cycle. Like he said, you totally deserve it. I've only taken the MCAT 2 times and if I have to do it again, which I might, it could very well kill me. TCOM has great things coming its way. My grandfather is the project director for their new construction, he's pretty excited about everything in the works.

:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Haha I know, I was just giving him a hard time. :p Good luck this cycle. Like he said, you totally deserve it. I've only taken the MCAT 2 times and if I have to do it again, which I might, it could very well kill me. TCOM has great things coming its way. My grandfather is the project director for their new construction, he's pretty excited about everything in the works.

:luck::luck::luck::luck:

I've taken it twice also, but voided the second time, so I'm with you on the whole NOT re-taking it! :luck:

So, I am out of state, with pretty good stats and have been complete since early August. I am a bit confused - Will I hear something by this Friday? Or, if I do not, should I take this as a rejection? What about for the UT MD schools? Thanks guys!

So, I am out of state, with pretty good stats and have been complete since early August. I am a bit confused - Will I hear something by this Friday? Or, if I do not, should I take this as a rejection? What about for the UT MD schools? Thanks guys!

Friday is the first day that the schools can make offers to in state folks. They have been able to make offers to out of state people since October 15th, so you could hear from them any time from now through the summer. For all of us in state people, the flood gates start to open tomorrow at 5pm.

Yeah...I was thinking that if it didn't work this time around, I would considering running a 5th time, but everyone I've spoken to says not to do that.

TCOM happens to be only 45 minutes away from most of my immediate family, so it's not just an 'any school in TX' deal. Somehow, if I luck out, it'll be as if everything fell in to place. I can only hope I'm that lucky.

Thanks for the wishes. Good luck to you on Friday too, but it looks like you got it in the bag somewhere :)

Same here. I rEally want TCOM. It's 45 min from my family, too and while I love Austin... I miss home, too:) Plus my bf might end up doing their Masters in forensic genetics.... so that would be good.

However, this is my first time applying... so I'm pretty aware that it may very well not work out this cycle.

Good luck to everyone!

Same here. I rEally want TCOM. It's 45 min from my family, too and while I love Austin... I miss home, too:) Plus my bf might end up doing their Masters in forensic genetics.... so that would be good.

However, this is my first time applying... so I'm pretty aware that it may very well not work out this cycle.

Good luck to everyone!

Good luck to you too! I'm hoping to that my fellow Longhorns get accepted!

Status
Not open for further replies.