UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hm, maybe it has to do with the interview? I forgot to answer Alcoves' question about how many got pre-matches. I personally only know of 3, but I may find out more once classes start back up again.
Med Scis still have the match and May to find out. If they're on the border and get waitlisted during the match, then the board will wait to see the Spring grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't they guaranteed acceptance if they meet certain criteria?

I'm tossing it up as a possibility if I don't get in this year, but I'm leaning towards a full master's program in something a little more real world.

I'm still not sure what they're looking for. The program coordinator said it's a myth that if you meet a certain GPA/MCAT, then you get in. Everything still gets considered as if you're any other applicant.

I think in my case, the GPA was important because my undergrad degree wasn't in biological sciences. My mock interview in the program was with someone who used to be on the admissions board, and he said my coursework in undergrad didn't prove to him at all that I could handle the coursework in medical school. He said that doing well in the program would be critical for me.

Aren't they guaranteed acceptance if they meet certain criteria?

I'm tossing it up as a possibility if I don't get in this year, but I'm leaning towards a full master's program in something a little more real world.

Did a MS in biology with focus in neuroscience. Really changed how I thought about bio in gen. Got a pre-match first day. So give it a try!

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing that is guaranteed by being in the MedSci program is getting an interview. Many of the pre-matches last year included those who were doing really well in the program and had competitive mcat scores (over 27) and undergrad gpas. Alot of people received prematches at other schools even before medsci grades for the fall semester had even been posted (Nov. 15).

Getting a 4.0 in the program alone wont guarantee you a pre-match or an acceptance.. they consider your interview and everything else you've done. There were a few people with 3.5+ med sci GPA's that didnt get accepted. There were a little over 20 of us that were waitlisted and only a few of those got in. Anyone in TCOM admissions will tell you they look at the "whole package", not just the numbers.

Originally they had stated that TCOM would take about half of our class (50), but only ended up taking a little over 30... some speculate it may have been because of the 20something 1st years that had to repeat. Again, this is just speculation.

I'm just glad they interviewed me again and I'm hoping things will turn out well for me this time around. I have to admit being waitlisted and not getting in after all that hard work was tough emotionally and psychologically. If you want something bad enough, you've got to overcome obstacles and keep trying!

I hope everyone waiting gets good news February 1st! :xf::D:xf:

They gave out 230 the first day???
If they only give out 1/3 of the offers during pre-match that would put total offers given this year at (of course this number would be even higher because I'm excluding the number since day 1 of pre-match) 230 x 3 = 690, that is about the number they were interviewing. So that seems a bit high to me.

Taking the number from last year, TCOM gave out 448 offers of admission, therefore if 1/3 of those were filled via pre-match, that would be 448 / 3 = about 150. So I would guess that around 150 offers* of admission have been given out thus far, with most coming from day 1.

So, no need to get all worried for those who haven't pre-mated yet, 2/3rds of the seats are yet to be filled! :thumbup:

*(of course I'm trusting the website numbers here)

This was bugging me a bit. 1/3 of the seats filled != 1/3 of the offers given. They give out 230 prematches and fill in only ~70 seats (low % actually matriculate due to multiple offers). So between the second batch of prematches and the match, they will give out approximately 220 offers to fill the remaining 150 seats (higher % matriculate, due to fewer applicants receiving multiple offers). The match gives a little more movement, but essentially this is what you're looking at.

I would love to know how many prematches were in the second batch. I would not be surprised if it was around 100 though.

Edit: PS good luck in the match everyone! I'm hoping for a spot somewhere too!

Last edited:
so many medsci competiting for so few spots worries me. :scared:

so many medsci competiting for so few spots worries me. :scared:

Yeah.. It worried us when our class was a little over 100. When we found out how big your class was going to be, we were blown away... Many of us figured that the only way to maintain the program's med school acceptance rate high, was that they'd be a bit more selective of applicants.. (higher gpa's, mcats, previous applicants who've interviewed and/or were waitlisted). I'm sure there's a conspiracy theorist in your group that has a spread sheet full of interesting stats.. Every cohort has one of those! Just do your absolute best.. That's all you can control!

Yeah.. It worried us when our class was a little over 100. When we found out how big your class was going to be, we were blown away... Many of us figured that the only way to maintain the program's med school acceptance rate high, was that they'd be a bit more selective of applicants.. (higher gpa's, mcats, previous applicants who've interviewed and/or were waitlisted). I'm sure there's a conspiracy theorist in your group that has a spread sheet full of interesting stats.. Every cohort has one of those! Just do your absolute best.. That's all you can control!

wait, you're last year's medsci? how difficult is it for you not to make it into TCOM the first time around?

I'm just so worried that I might not be accepted this year. I have no other back-up plan after medsci. :scared:

wait, you're last year's medsci? how difficult is it for you not to make it into TCOM the first time around?

I'm just so worried that I might not be accepted this year. I have no other back-up plan after medsci. :scared:

It is difficult to plan a back up to a back up plan lol. I have several friends who are in the med sci program who are just crossing their fingers but overall they feel misled and look negatively at TCOM due to the way their program has treated them thus far.

It is difficult to plan a back up to a back up plan lol. I have several friends who are in the med sci program who are just crossing their fingers but overall they feel misled and look negatively at TCOM due to the way their program has treated them thus far.

I think a lot of people listened to rumors at the beginning of the year. I heard from many people that doing great in the program is almost an automatic acceptance. But it was told to us all during orientation that the rumors weren't true and that GPA in the program isn't everything.

It's like a mini med school app cycle. You apply, interview and get reviewed on EVERYTHING from freshman yr of undergrad up until that moment. Only difference is that you're only competing with 150 people for around 20 slots. A LOT of people in the program are doing really well as far as GPA goes so it has to come down to other things when filling in the slots. The only thing this program guaranteed is an interview.

I do agree that some of it is misleading. I even had a prof in the program tell me "if you get a 4.0, you'll definitely get in" even though it isn't true. Good luck to your friends though :xf:

There was at least 1 medsci from the '09 class that is a 1st year at TCOM now. I've been told that they have been encouraging your class to apply out of state including certain DO schools who may know about the program. There are people who felt the program helped them get in, people who were not pleased with the program. It's a double edged sword. I seems that there were only a handful of people from last year's waistlist that were invited for interviews this year. I know a few didnt even bother applying to TCOM, a few got into other texas MD schools, and some went to Ross.

As far as a backup plan, being waitlisted affected my backup plan.. not to mention the crumby economy and job market (especially in my hometown).
I havent been able to find a full time or steady part-time job here since I graduated. I used to be a science teacher but they've put a freeze on any new hiring in the district. It's been quite a challenging year. I'm glad 2010 is over and hoping 2011 brings some better news! :xf:

does anyone know how scholarships work at tcom? does it come with out acceptance letter or do we actually apply for it on the student page...just curious

does anyone know how scholarships work at tcom? does it come with out acceptance letter or do we actually apply for it on the student page...just curious

nope, have no clue... sooo anyways Happy New Year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody checked their status on the student portal lately? I've received the kiss of death. I didn't even make the waitlist this year. Back to the drawing board. :bang: Good luck to all those still in the hunt!

Has anybody checked their status on the student portal lately? I've received the kiss of death. I didn't even make the waitlist this year. Back to the drawing board. :bang: Good luck to all those still in the hunt!

what does it show for rejected?

what does it show for rejected?

"your application has been reviewed. any decision will be sent via us mail"

Eeeekkk! Mine still says under review... :) but a few people have told me that theirs changed to the reject status this past week. :( looks like they are weeding people out before the match...

hello everyone~

i won't be applying to UNTHSC for awhile still, but it is my top choice for when i do apply. i am currently planning out when to take my prereq courses. i wasn't sure where to ask this, as this issue only pertains to TX med schools (as far as i know), so please excuse me if this is in the wrong thread. but my question is:

must all prerequisite courses be completed before the application is submitted?

i know i can't fit in all 14 credits of bio until my senior year, so would i have to apply after i complete that year (and thus, be forced to take a gap year after college)?

thank you in advance.

hello everyone~

i won't be applying to UNTHSC for awhile still, but it is my top choice for when i do apply. i am currently planning out when to take my prereq courses. i wasn't sure where to ask this, as this issue only pertains to TX med schools (as far as i know), so please excuse me if this is in the wrong thread. but my question is:

must all prerequisite courses be completed before the application is submitted?

i know i can't fit in all 14 credits of bio until my senior year, so would i have to apply after i complete that year (and thus, be forced to take a gap year after college)?

thank you in advance.

The prerequisite courses must be completed by the first day of school. Good luck when you apply and remember to apply early!!!

Thank you bradtech! That's certainly cleared up a lot for me.

And this is off-topic, but I love your icon. I am doing undergrad at an oos school, but my younger brother is going to be a freshman at Tech in August :)

Thank you bradtech! That's certainly cleared up a lot for me.

And this is off-topic, but I love your icon. I am doing undergrad at an oos school, but my younger brother is going to be a freshman at Tech in August :)

Eh could be cooler if it had a U instead of one of the T's and had a color change to burnt orange

Eh could be cooler if it had a U instead of one of the T's and had a color change to burnt orange

Don't be jealous, not everyone can go to a prestigious university like tech. LOL! All in good humor.

Good luck to all applicants!

so i've been lurking on this thread for awhile, but I'm an oos applicant and I just got a letter saying I've been waitlisted. Is there any way for me to know my position on the waitlist?

so i've been lurking on this thread for awhile, but I'm an oos applicant and I just got a letter saying I've been waitlisted. Is there any way for me to know my position on the waitlist?

Probably not... I wonder if the waitlist for you is only full of OOS. That would mean that it is not really too many people (well not as many that would be on the in state waitlist).

I think there are two seperate lists, so I suppose that is a bit of a bright side.

Sorry that my post was 'bugging' you. Not my intent. I agree that 1/3 of the seats filled != 1/3 of the offers given.

What I said was "So, no need to get all worried for those who haven't pre-mated yet, 2/3rds of the seats are yet to be filled!" This should still hold true (using your math). As for the matter of how many pre-match offers are made in comparison to other offers... I took what someone else had said in my calculations and what TCOM reports on its website. I truly don't know the break down of the offers. I would guess, unless you worked for the admissions office (at a high-level capacity) you really wouldn't know either. And in the end, all this talk about pre-match and match offers becomes a semantical argument. A pre-match offer = match offer.

Anyways I still hold that 2/3rds of the seats remain open. For instance, you said that out of the 230 pre-matches they fill about 70 seats. So, 70 seats filled / ~210 class size = 1/3. so that would leave 2/3rds of the seats yet to be filled. Right? Which is what I said.

In any event, I wasn't trying to prove anything other than to give hope to the individuals (and my soon-to-be classmates) waiting for the match, and I was certainly not trying to annoy or bug you (whoever you are). :)

Good luck on the match, though!

-Mike

This was bugging me a bit. 1/3 of the seats filled != 1/3 of the offers given. They give out 230 prematches and fill in only ~70 seats (low % actually matriculate due to multiple offers). So between the second batch of prematches and the match, they will give out approximately 220 offers to fill the remaining 150 seats (higher % matriculate, due to fewer applicants receiving multiple offers). The match gives a little more movement, but essentially this is what you're looking at.

I would love to know how many prematches were in the second batch. I would not be surprised if it was around 100 though.

Edit: PS good luck in the match everyone! I'm hoping for a spot somewhere too!

Alcoves:

There's no need to apologize. It was a minor correction, and I really wasn't annoyed, nor did I ever feel that it was in some way your intent to do so..

I was just pointing out how 200-300 prematch offers realistically could have been sent out while 2/3 of the seats, as you point out, still remain. I basically meant that their website's numbers can be trusted, and mathematically they are consistent with some of the other statements made on this thread. It wasn't merely semantics.

I honestly wasn't trying to stifle your hope-giving post, like I said, it was a minor mathematical clarification. It's really irrelevant to know how many seats or acceptances are left, as knowing either won't change the result of the match.

So yeah... I wasn't trying to be a jerk.. sorry:D

So I saw a TCOM student (his brief bag said class of 2011) wondering around UT Houston Med school the other day... what was he doing? Can 4th years do rotations in Houston?

So I saw a TCOM student (his brief bag said class of 2011) wondering around UT Houston Med school the other day... what was he doing? Can 4th years do rotations in Houston?

I believe that as a fourth year, you can pick your rotations wherever you would like... I have met a few AZCOM students that are doing rotations at UTSW (One was doing his in Anesthesiology)... And I have a friend from AZCOM that is doing one of her rotations in Maryland. I'm pretty sure every school allows you to do this. They call it a "residency audition" and it allows you to rotate through a place where you think you may want to be admitted for residency... I'm positive you have to set these up yourself though...

Since there are no DO residencies in Texas, it would be a good idea to do many of these types of rotations in your 4th year, that way you will get to network your way into a Texas MD residency. I am sure you would have to take both boards in order to even be considered for this though... And obviously you will need the USMLE to be placed in the MD residency.

My application status still says "This application is complete, please check your to-do list for any outstanding items". I was complete on September 2nd. If they've been sending out rejections lately is it possible they have me on some type of hold status? Or have they just not gotten around to updating my rejection status haha.:rolleyes:

I was planning on MedSci as a back up as well. Even though it's no guarantee I still think it's one of the best ways to improve an application in between cycles. You get an intense curriculum similar to first year med school plus a master's degree in one year. Even if you don't get in at TCOM I think it would really help your chances at other schools compared to retaking classes or doing more EC's. I guess it all depends on what your app is lacking though.

Sorry Noshie but I believe you are mistaken. There are most definitely DO residencies in Texas. Some students do take residencies in other states but that doesn't mean that there aren't any in Texas. Additionally, DO's can enter into an MD residency.

Sorry Noshie but I believe you are mistaken. There are most definitely DO residencies in Texas. Some students do take residencies in other states but that doesn't mean that there aren't any in Texas. Additionally, DO's can enter into an MD residency.
I have also heard from students at TCOM that there are DO residencies, but there aren't as much as there are MD residencies. This is also another reason why DO students like to take the USMLE in addition to COMLEX

Yup, Im sure nosh just misspoke. Shes a seasoned veteran.

I have also heard from students at TCOM that there are DO residencies, but there aren't as much as there are MD residencies. This is also another reason why DO students like to take the USMLE in addition to COMLEX

I know we can enter MD residency... I plan on taking both exams and doing this... :) But actually, during my TCOM interview, one of the first things they told us during the information portion was that there are no DO residencies in Texas. Anyone else interview and hear this?

I just tried to find a list online to see if this was wrong information, or maybe I misinterpreted it during my interview, however, there is really nothing I could find... I think I am going to call TCOM on Monday and ask. I could definitely be wrong...

Hey guys I am a second year at TCOM and more than happy to answer any of your questions or concerns. I can't tell you anything about acceptances or any of that but I can answer questions for those of you that are coming here about curriculum, where to live, Fort worth, etc. Good luck to everyone on the upcoming match and message me if you need anything at all :)

I know we can enter MD residency... I plan on taking both exams and doing this... :) But actually, during my TCOM interview, one of the first things they told us during the information portion was that there are no DO residencies in Texas. Anyone else interview and hear this?

I just tried to find a list online to see if this was wrong information, or maybe I misinterpreted it during my interview, however, there is really nothing I could find... I think I am going to call TCOM on Monday and ask. I could definitely be wrong...

Nope there are def residency options in Texas Nosh. I think you heard "There are NO(t as many) Texas DO residency positions available."

Here's the site ... http://texasopti.hsc.unt.edu/aboutus.cfm

I can answer questions for those of you that are coming here about curriculum, where to live, Fort worth, etc. Good luck to everyone on the upcoming match and message me if you need anything at all :)

Well, I may have more questions (or no questions) after Feb 1st... so we'll just wait till then! Thanks tho

Awesome! Thanks for the links guys!!! :)

Hey guys I am a second year at TCOM and more than happy to answer any of your questions or concerns. I can't tell you anything about acceptances or any of that but I can answer questions for those of you that are coming here about curriculum, where to live, Fort worth, etc. Good luck to everyone on the upcoming match and message me if you need anything at all :)

7th Street Station!

Thanks pinky6. If you want to post that in our (tcom 2015) fb site, feel free!

I have a couple of questions! I've heard that we're going to be in class from 8-5 every day. True or not (wondering because I have a dog and need to think about dog doors and the like)? Are all of the classes mandatory? Are there video recordings of lectures or just audio recordings? Any neighborhoods to avoid that are near the school? Okay, I guess that was more than a couple of questions, sorry :oops:

I have a couple of questions! I've heard that we're going to be in class from 8-5 every day. True or not (wondering because I have a dog and need to think about dog doors and the like)? Are all of the classes mandatory? Are there video recordings of lectures or just audio recordings? Any neighborhoods to avoid that are near the school? Okay, I guess that was more than a couple of questions, sorry :oops:

Med sci here, this is what I've been told/overheard from current med students.

There's a lot of class, you're expected to attend most of them, I believe.

Lectures ARE recorded (audio), but the class will lose that privilege if less than a certain percent (just by looking at the class, they don't do a literal headcount) of the class simply isn't showing up.

No neighborhoods in the near vicinity are shady or anything, it's actually a very nice area.

anyone notice "Status information will be updated after the February 1st match." update as their status on my.unt.edu ?

anyone notice "Status information will be updated after the February 1st match." update as their status on my.unt.edu ?

Awesome. Status updates are so fun.

"Status information will be updated after the February 1st match." ........
*** Outstanding items for this application
Item Due Date Description 1 Transcript 07/01/2010
Official Transcript.
2 Transcript 07/01/2010
Official Transcript.
3 Transcript 07/01/2011
Official Transcript.
4 Need final transcript 07/01/2011
You may have submitted a partial official transcript or are currently in progress at this institution; you need to submit a final official transcript with final grades and/or the degree conferred. ***

So does anyone know why in the world its asking me to submit transcripts? I sent all updated transcripts to tmdsas? Do we need to send them again to TCOM?

Official Transcript.
2 Transcript 07/01/2010
Official Transcript.
3 Transcript 07/01/2011
Official Transcript.
You may have submitted a partial official transcript or are currently in progress at this institution; you need to submit a final official transcript with final grades and/or the degree conferred. ***

So does anyone know why in the world its asking me to submit transcripts? I sent all updated transcripts to tmdsas? Do we need to send them again to TCOM?

How odd. Maybe this is a sign that you are going to match there and they are wanting you to update them with your final transcript?

Official Transcript.
2 Transcript 07/01/2010
Official Transcript.
3 Transcript 07/01/2011
Official Transcript.

This seriously looks like you are accepted... But that is just my guess. Mine does not say anything like this. If they wanted you to update your grades they would want it through TMDSAS, they would not ask for a direct official transcript, this is usually something they want after you are accepted. Interesting... :) Yay for you, maybe!

Med sci here, this is what I've been told/overheard from current med students.

There's a lot of class, you're expected to attend most of them, I believe.

Lectures ARE recorded (audio), but the class will lose that privilege if less than a certain percent (just by looking at the class, they don't do a literal headcount) of the class simply isn't showing up.

No neighborhoods in the near vicinity are shady or anything, it's actually a very nice area.

Thanks!

Re the status stuff: I prematched on Nov 15 and mine says all of the same stuff as slammer's does. Maybe he already prematched?

Mine also has a list asking for final transcripts. I'm also just going to guess that it could be a good sign for you slammer! If so, congrats from me as well :)