UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So just to make sure I understand the hearing back process (post interview)-- If I don't hear anything before the 15th that means I'm either wait listed or accepted? And are they mailing out the letters on the 15th or is that the day I should check my mailbox early?

Also if I don't get a letter on the 15th, do you think it'd be appropriate to call? (I'm sure they'll be inundated next Monday.)

Members don't see this ad.

So just to make sure I understand the hearing back process (post interview)-- If I don't hear anything before the 15th that means I'm either wait listed or accepted? And are they mailing out the letters on the 15th or is that the day I should check my mailbox early?

Also if I don't get a letter on the 15th, do you think it'd be appropriate to call? (I'm sure they'll be inundated next Monday.)

Eeeek! You have it all backa**wards… ;) You will not hear anything until after the 15th no matter what... If you don’t hear anything between November 15th and December 31st then you will have to wait for the match on February 1st. If you don’t hear anything on February 1st THEN you are waitlisted or rejected.

Check your email on the 15th, if you get prematched it will come the week of the 15th or randomly until December 31st.

If you don’t get a letter on the 15th, there is no need to call... You need to wait until the match, and then allow yourself to freak out if you don’t get in during the match in February. If you call next week during prematch, they can’t do anything for you. It will be a waste... And they will probably think you are being annoying... Haha.

Eeeek! You have it all backa**wards… ;) You will not hear anything until after the 15th no matter what... If you don’t hear anything between November 15th and December 31st then you will have to wait for the match on February 1st. If you don’t hear anything on February 1st THEN you are waitlisted or rejected.

Check your email on the 15th, if you get prematched it will come the week of the 15th or randomly until December 31st.

If you don’t get a letter on the 15th, there is no need to call... You need to wait until the match, and then allow yourself to freak out if you don’t get in during the match in February. If you call next week during prematch, they can’t do anything for you. It will be a waste... And they will probably think you are being annoying... Haha.

Noshie, I am pretty sure that Mike Kennedy told us all during the interview day that he hates to string his post-interviewers on and told us that, in the case there is a very little chance that they will accept you, they will reject you before november. That is what he told our group and what other people have said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Noshie, I am pretty sure that Mike Kennedy told us all during the interview day that he hates to string his post-interviewers on and told us that, in the case there is a very little chance that they will accept you, they will reject you before november. That is what he told our group and what other people have said.

Lets just ask, who here on SDN has gotten a rejection letter that is a resident of Texas?

This probably won't represent the applying student population much since a lot of people don't participate on SDN.

Yeah, he told us this yesterday too... He didn't say before November though, he just said that he would let us know if we were rejected up front... That may not mean before the prematch... It seemed like he said this because he was trying to let us know that we should not string them along either, like we need to tell them the second we know that this is not where we will be going... So they can find someone else to fill the seat. But I have not heard ONE person on SDN, or any of my friends that have interviewed there say that they have received a rejection. That is just a small pool of people, but still...

To be honest, I would think that TCOM would not outright reject anyone this soon in the cycle unless they are really really bad interviewers. Why? Well, think about it. Most people that get a TCOM acceptance and an acceptance from any other school in Texas will choose the MD school every time. I am not saying everyone would, I know it would be a very hard decision for me, but many people would want to go to MD over DO. So they really need to keep their applicant pool higher than most schools because their applicants might rank them low or last... They are trying to fill a class of 220 students this cycle, and they are doing a little over 700 interviews. That is risky if you ask me...

To be honest, I would think that TCOM would not outright reject anyone this soon in the cycle unless they are really really bad interviewers. Why? Well, think about it. Most people that get a TCOM acceptance and an acceptance from any other school in Texas will choose the MD school every time. I am not saying everyone would, I know it would be a very hard decision for me, but many people would want to go to MD over DO. So they really need to keep their applicant pool higher than most schools because their applicants might rank them low or last... They are trying to fill a class of 220 students this cycle, and they are doing a little over 700 interviews. That is risky if you ask me...

At El Paso they told us that TCOM didn't fill their class last year.

That is really interesting... But why would El Paso say this, kind of mean. :rolleyes:

You know they did say something yesterday that made me a little worried. They said that last year they had about 20 people that had to retake 1st year due to failing. Ouch. But he said that was probably a one time thing because this had never happened in the past. He should have probably omitted that fact... Haha.

Then why wouldn't they decrease the class size instead of increase it this year? Caroline told us they've been steadily increasing the class size by about 10 students for the past few years.

That is really interesting... But why would El Paso say this, kind of mean. :rolleyes:

You know they did say something yesterday that made me a little worried. They said that last year they had about 20 people that had to retake 1st year due to failing. Ouch. But he said that was probably a one time thing because this had never happened in the past. He should have probably omitted that fact... Haha.

At the TCOM interview they said they interviewed 700ish last year and sent out 460 acceptances. They also expected to interview 800ish this year so if they still stick with the 700ish interviews this year. I would like to think our chances have all increased a little more.

Just for some quick clarifications,

We do have a full class this year...I believe there was a waitlist and we started the year with 221 (that is including the repeaters). I think that our class has gotten a tad smaller because a few people have dropped out.

I do agree that some people I have spoken to in my class did rank TCOM lower on their match list, but still ended up here anyways. However, ALL of them are extremely pleased with their experience so far.

Good luck to everyone and I KNOW y'all will enjoy wherever y'all end up, TCOM or otherwise.

Just for some quick clarifications,

We do have a full class this year...I believe there was a waitlist and we started the year with 221 (that is including the repeaters). I think that our class has gotten a tad smaller because a few people have dropped out.

I do agree that some people I have spoken to in my class did rank TCOM lower on their match list, but still ended up here anyways. However, ALL of them are extremely pleased with their experience so far.

Good luck to everyone and I KNOW y'all will enjoy wherever y'all end up, TCOM or otherwise.

There was indeed a waitlist, I know of at least 20 others that were on it. I've got another shot on the 16th of this month and praying things will turn out for the best this time. Anybody else interviewing on that day?

This hasnt been said yet on here yet, but is anyone as anxious as I am about PreMatch coming up on Monday?! I feel like im going crazy thinking about it!:oops:

Hey guys, I just completed for my DO application, but I just recently decided I want to pursue the DO/PhD. Is it too late to switch? I havent gotten any interview invites yet. Also, will it hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just completed for my DO application, but I just recently decided I want to pursue the DO/PhD. Is it too late to switch? I havent gotten any interview invites yet. Also, will it hurt my chances?

I don't think it is too late to apply now, you can even do it after you get accepted to the DO program since it is after the second year. Though, I had a friend that did the DO/PhD at TCOM... She did her first two years of med school, started the PhD and did that for two years, but then the PI told her she would have to do another year because doing the research takes two years and then she had to finish up and write a dissertation... Yeah... They will likely keep you forever if you do the PhD. She ended up just finishing the masters so she could go back and do her third year, she is a fourth year now. She regretted doing the DO/PhD, for many other reasons also. When she started her third year, she told me that taking that break in between for the PhD really made her forget a lot of what she learned in her first two years of med school. She also had to start third year in another class and all of her friends graduated already... However, I have heard of a few people doing clinical research and it working out for them... But just know, they can tell you that you have to stay past the two years for the PhD, and that may not be worth it for you.

This hasnt been said yet on here yet, but is anyone as anxious as I am about PreMatch coming up on Monday?! I feel like im going crazy thinking about it!:oops:

You are not alone! Keep yourself busy.

The medical-school-application processes is pretty rough... you have the MCAT wait both before and after, you have the wait for your letters of evaluation to be finished, along with the rest of your application, the wait after you apply to get an interview, the wait for the interviews, now the results of those interviews. High-anxiety coupled with fruitless-endeavors of checking emails/voicemails for a medical school reply that may never come. All aggravated by individuals with the best intentions, who are just trying to find out "where you're going to medical school" and you're forced to tell them over-and-over again where in the aforementioned steps you fall. It's enough to make you jaded. I hope this whole process has not negative affected anyone. We should keep a positive outlook in life and know if we do this we will become caring/compassionate medical doctors in the near future. I dislike saying the phrase "best of luck," for many reasons, but as the majority of us would certainly make great doctors this seems like a phrase that fits all too well. So, Best of Luck my friends!

Todays the day people! Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know when the first batch will go out? 8am? noon?

Todays the day people! Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know when the first batch will go out? 8am? noon?

Not sure when, but I have heard that in the past it has come up on the status page before the email was sent out. I am going to make a guess though, I am thinking after 9am.

I had my interview last Tuesday... But I hope I still get a chance at the prematch!

I have work today, so I really hope to come home to a surprise! At this point, I don't think LUCK will do anything, so I wish everyone the best!!! I definitely hope to get an offer, especially so I can learn OMT, because I have heard it works quite nicely!

especially so I can learn OMT, because I have heard it works quite nicely!

It really does! I had a med student do OMT on me several times. I had a headache once for about a week, mainly due to neck pain... I took aleve, motrin, you name it. Then she fixed me right up in less than 5 min. My headache was gone, my neck was much better... It was great. :) When I was in school I would call her all the time to work on me. This alone would be a good reason to go to TCOM. Med students practicing OMM on each other!

It really does! I had a med student do OMT on me several times. I had a headache once for about a week, mainly due to neck pain... I took aleve, motrin, you name it. Then she fixed me right up in less than 5 min. My headache was gone, my neck was much better... It was great. :) When I was in school I would call her all the time to work on me. This alone would be a good reason to go to TCOM. Med students practicing OMM on each other!

My mum has terrible back pain, takes all the meds out there, but no relief. I keep telling her if I knew OMM I would help her!!!

I had a mini freak out when I saw that people had posted on this thread this morning because I haven't heard anything from TCOM yet. This is officially the longest day ever, and it's only 8:40am.

I had a mini freak out when I saw that people had posted on this thread this morning because I haven't heard anything from TCOM yet. This is officially the longest day ever, and it's only 8:40am.

+1

My laptop slept beside me all night. I reached for it as soon as I opened my eyes. :laugh:

Ugh. waiting. Best of luck docs! :D

any word yet???? San Antonio has sent out pre match offers already...

My status just got updated, accepted! Good luck to everyone else and congrats to those who find out today! :D

"Congratulations! you have been accepted. A formal offer of acceptance will be sent you by mail."

Interviewed in August.

"Congratulations! you have been accepted. A formal offer of acceptance will be sent you by mail."

Interviewed in August.

I would like to take this moment to say... I told you so!!! :) And congrats too I guess... Hehe.

Did you get in noshie?!?!

Nope... No pre matches all around for me. I did just interview here last Tuesday, less than a week ago... So I kind of expected it from here. But the two Techs have me sad right now. Its ok though, I know there will be several more opportunities. :rolleyes:

Congrats on all the pre match offers. I would like to take this time to thank my lord and savior for guiding me through the process of GETTING PRE MATCHED INTO TCOM!!! Look out med school!!!

Nope... No pre matches all around for me. I did just interview here last Tuesday, less than a week ago... So I kind of expected it from here. But the two Techs have me sad right now. Its ok though, I know there will be several more opportunities. :rolleyes:

True!! And plus, you're already in at AZCOM... which is an amazing school! Just lots and lots of money

YES mine just changed saying IVE been accepted, awesome!! great to know I will at least matriculate somewhere!! I loved it at TCOM, lets see what happens!

ACCEPTED!!! status changed to admitted. Interviewed september 28th. What a relief!

YES!!! I got a prematch offer too!! I did not get an e-mail though, I had to go to their website (took forever since I forgot my username and pw). Definitely worth it!

CONGRATS!!!! I'm so happy for everyone who found out!

I interviewed on October 19th.. but haven't heard anything yet from TCOM :( I wonder if that's bad news...

Last edited:
I wish they would send us an email or something to confirm our status changes online. I'm getting worried now that mine is a glitch and I'll have to tell everyone that I didn't really get in. I keep on clicking "application status" to make sure it hasn't changed back to under review.

to the people who got accepted already.. when did you guys intervieww? i wonder if it's going out in batches or all at once! i'm soooo nervous

Caroline just called me to congratulate me and let me know about the acceptance packet they will be mailing out

I got accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow this feels spectacular!! updated on status page

Interviewed on the 21st of October but my status still remains underreview

wondering if anyone that interviewed on october 19th onwards has found anything out yet.. nervouss!!! tcom is my top choice so i'm starting to get sad now!!

KandyK - I interviewed Oct 19 and haven't heard anything yet either. It seems like most people who have gotten accepted so far are from earlier interview dates, so I am trying to not freak out. Hope this helps!