UT-Southwestern (or any MD) verses DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wishbone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying decide between a highly well respected allopathic medical school (UT-Southwestern) and several DO schools. I was wondering if anyone else out there was dealing with the same issues?

I'd love to study osteopathic medicine but it is also hard to pass up one of the top medical schools in the nation- specially when it cost roughly a third of what DO schools charge.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can save that much money, and you don't have an overwhelming interest in osteopathic med, stay in TX! Trust me, if I got into my state school, I'd be there in a heartbeat, regardless if it was DO or MD. Remember, you can always learn OMT later, if you take the time to do it. Good luck to you.

Wishbone,

Have you visited UNTHSC-TCOM in Fort Worth. I think that you'll be impressed. A lot of what makes UT SouthWestern a great school--and don't get me wrong, it is---translates into very little for actual medical students. I've rotated with Southwestern students, as well as students from Galveston, Baylor, UT Houston, Tech, as well as other DO schools and can honestly say that almost all students are pretty much equal in terms of knowledge base, work ethic, and patient care skills. Where you go to school is only a small part of what kind of doctor you eventually turn out to be.

I'd spend more time evaluating the actual quality of life and educational opportunities available to students and less time comparing reputations. Remember, it doesn't matter how good other people think your school is, if you wake up every day hating where you are, then you will be miserable.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, you are 100% right I shouldn't care what others think of the school I go to. Though, it doesn't hurt to ask and know what people think. In fact in the last application cycle (ie 1999) Southwestern even they said the rest of the schools are as good as they are.

You're also right to that it comes down to educational opportunities. As much as DO?s talk about a holistic approach I don?t think it is too far off from MD schools. I get the same odd looks when I ask about taking electives in oriental medicine at DO schools as I get at MD schools. So far Southwestern is the only school that has a connection to a Psychology school (heck they have their own grad program) that is at least open to letting me pursue a masters is psychology (or at least take some psy classes) along with my MD/DO. Heck I got in a bit of an argument with the people at NOVA on why psychology is not the same as psychiatry and why I don?t really want to be a psychiatrist but rather a general practitioner with a psychology back ground. They kept telling me I should be a psychiatrist and to drop this psychology training thing. That was pretty frustrating considering they (like SW) have a psy grad school also. Quite honestly I feel the DO?s schools have done to some extent exactly what they set out to do. That is they are equal with, or as the same as, MD schools. When I think holistic medicine I think- naturopathic doctors more then anything else but the profession is still just to shaky for me. I don?t think it matters what degree is behind your name as much as what you do with your degree.

As far as TCOM yes it is a good school. Unfortunately, they did not invite me for an interview this year. I actually choose them over Southwestern and Galveston last application cycle (ie. had settled on going to TCOM over SW or Galveston) but then decided to take a year off. I guess they where a bit miffed at me for doing that. Either way, it?s not an option this year so I have to make do. I have acceptances at NYCOM, NOVA, UHS-KC, and upcoming interviews at PCOM, NJ, and Chicago. It just seems SW will allow me to grow into the doctor I want to become better then any other school. The resources of SW just can?t be matched by the other schools.

I guess if I go MD, what is the best way to learn as much as I can about osteopathic techniques? I don?t suppose they let MD students rotate through as MD schools let DO student do- or do they? Are there clinics for MD?s who want to learn OMT?

absolutely. We recently had an MD family practice resident spend an entire month withus..he went to our lectures and labs just because he wanted to learn more about OMT. Granted, itwill take much more than a month, but lots of MD's persue an education in OMT..it is definitly available. Good luck to you!

Wishbone, we had a speaker the other day during our lunch hour that had completed a five year combined Internal Medicine/Psychiatry residency. It is a very new program that sprung up in the wake of the success of Med/Peds. There are only a handful of programs around the country, but they allow you to be double-boarded in both fields. The doctor was speaking for the Primary Care club, and his motivation for the double program was that so many people have undiagnosed psychological problems that are affecting their health. I think that it is a great idea, for people like yourself who are interested in the aspects of psychology as they apply to patient care.

Also, I would agree with you that MD schools also expose students to alternative medicine. We have had a series of lectures provided by the Complementary medicine club including topics like herbal medicine, massage, yoga, and chiropractic medicine. All have been very interesting, and well attended.

One more thing, if I were you, I would choose the school that you feel very comfortable at, and that would leave you with the least amount of debt! You will be a doctor no matter which school you choose, the question is how much money are you willing to borrow to achieve that end? Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited 02-10-2001).]