UTMB vs TULANE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medapp42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wanting your advice on what the pros and cons of each school are and which school you would rather go to. I have gotten in to both and just wanted some feedback as to what the general perception/reputation is out there. Also, I am interested in IM/Cards so which school would be better for that? Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are you IS for UTMB? Because if so, it will be about 35k/year cheaper than Tulane. Tulane is obnoxiously expensive. The only way I would even consider doing Tulane is if I wanted to do their Tropical Medicine program.

Money aside...what is the better program? I realize UTMB would be very much cheaper as I am IS but I am also interested in the MPH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Money aside...what is the better program? I realize UTMB would be very much cheaper as I am IS but I am also interested in the MPH.

I don't know that much about either program actually. The only thing I know is that LSU-NO rotates through the same sitesas Tulane and word around NOLA is that LSU actually prepares you better for clinicals. But that doesn't help you, does it? :laugh:

I don't know that much about either program actually. The only thing I know is that LSU-NO rotates through the same sitesas Tulane and word around NOLA is that LSU actually prepares you better for clinicals. But that doesn't help you, does it? :laugh:

Tulane has it's own hospital that LSU students don't rotate through, but Tulane students (I might be wrong) do rotate with LSU students at University Hospital and at Ochsner. Once the new VA Hospital and Charity are built, Tulane and LSU students will rotate at both institutions

When it comes to location, both have a history of being destroyed by hurricanes

I would go for UTMB. Yes, its way cheaper. And it's still a very good school!

The public health program is top-notch at Tulane (especially Tropical medicine and global health). I'm not too sure about UTMB.

However, I don't think an MPH program is worth it to pay that much more for a school. Additionally, if you think about it (if you really want an MPH from Tulane)....Go to UTMB (save 140K) and use that money to do your MPH in Tulane after.

Trust me money wise, that'd be the smart decision. Plus you would get the full 2 year MPH program!

I can't speak for UTMB (which, by the way, has also faced a hurricane and had to be relocated temporarily, as has Tulane), but I'm a student at Tulane, and I love it. I know that Tulane students match pretty well for residency. You also get a lot of hands on clinic experience (if you want it) during the first two years. If you want to do an MD/MPH program, then here, you can finish it in 4 years! Additionally, Tulane is P/F the first two years.

UTMB
it's a well respected school with great opportunities
i have heard amazing things about clinical experiences and how much students get to do at John Sealy. Also, working with prisoners lets you see the most interesting of cases
You can't beat the 1/2 day schedule and one course at a time curriculum...
Tulane is a great school too, but i personally would choose UTMB
Also, think of location. Do you want to live in new orleans for 4 hrs..or galvi for 4 yrs. For me cost is very important and i just wouldn't pay 50 grand a yr when i can pay 10.
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.