Wake Forest vs. Wayne State SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I go to Wayne or Wake SOM? (please read whole post first)

• Wayne State

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Wake Forest

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

aarena1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Is Wake Forest really that much better a medical school than Wayne State? Is it more well known? How much do rankings matter? I'm on an Air Force scholarship so please disregard cost. Also I work in Detroit now and know it's not a "horrible disgusting place to live" (at least not everywhere...) so no responses like that please :/ (and yes I like the cold and snow). However I've spent most my life between NC and PA so Detroit isn't necessarily "home" either and I will have potentially little social support after my family moves back to NC in 2016. Wake is supposedly a better research and primary care school, but I don't plan on doing primary care (I know plans change) and know I don't like research enough to do anything more than dabbling (prior experience). Also does anyone know what student life is like? Are the hospital qualities pretty similar? I know Detroit area has more to do regarding cars, art, sports, etc. and the clinical experience at Wayne is nearly unbeatable. Basically, would I be shooting myself in the foot choosing Wayne over Wake?

(PS I know I posted a similar thread earlier but thought this was the more appropriate place and had some different questions)

Members don't see this ad.

The difference is negligible. Coming from NYC, nobody here knows what the f*ck Wake Forest is but we've heard of Wayne, if that's any consolation.