Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oi vey! I submitted all of my letters before my AACOMAS was even verified to expedite the process and just now realized I somehow forgot to send to Western! Just ordered them now. *shaking head* Darn good thing I logged in and saw what was holding me up.

And congrats to those that just got interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

CONGRAT!! did you set up your date yet?

I have not... I told her I would have to get back to her. I have my AZCOM interview about the same time, and I want to see if I can have my return ticket refunded/credited towards a trip to LAX from PHX. The dates were both kinda soon, so its something to think about. I didn't think I would get a ii from this school, but I'm definitely glad to have one.

Oi vey! I submitted all of my letters before my AACOMAS was even verified to expedite the process and just now realized I somehow forgot to send to Western! Just ordered them now. *shaking head* Darn good thing I logged in and saw what was holding me up.

And congrats to those that just got interviews!

that blows,,, btw, i can't stand that woman's face expression in your avatar

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call around 1:30 pst. Was given the option of Oct. 4th or 20th. Went for the 20th. They received my last letter on Aug 13th so complete around then. Good luck everyone.

Anybody interviewing on 10/4 with me?

Me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Sweet man we gotta meet up the night before and grab a drink or somethin.

urrr... but i live in socal i be up for that kinda **** for other interviews, but not for this,,,, too far to drive up there the night before and on the interview day as well

Last edited:
urrr... but i live in socal i be up for that kinda **** for other interviews, but not for this,,,, to far to drive up there the night before and on the interview day as well

Oooohhhhh......

All you burger fiends need to check out Eureka Burger in Claremont when you come for your interview. Delicious burgers and a huge awesome microbrew selection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations everyone! I'm away from SDN for one day and all these people get interviews. Glad you all finally heard back! :)

I just checked the online portal and the last thing they received was actually on 8/27 and not 8/16 like I previously thought. I guess I'll have to wait another week or so...

Any day now Western :rolleyes: give me the magical phone call!

Finally complete.

:xf: pull up a chair, sit back, and let's start re-reading those Harry Potter books for old times sake :xf:

Good luck everyone, and congrats to those who have interviewed.

i sent my letters 05/09 but it still has not updated.... is this normal?

thx

Got the call around 1:30 pst. Was given the option of Oct. 4th or 20th. Went for the 20th. They received my last letter on Aug 13th so complete around then. Good luck everyone.

mind sharing stats?

i'm a little worried. mine are around that time too.
30R
3.6 cGPA
3.47 sGPA

extreme upward trend

You'll be fine. You got an above average MCAT and cGPA and a slightly above average sGPA. You should get an II, and as long as you are a descent person in the interview you will probably get in.

Good luck to you.

dsoz

mind sharing stats?

30R
3.6 cGPA
3.47 sGPA

extreme upward trend

really ? :(

how long did all of you take after you sent the letters for the school to update it in the portal?

within couple of days

you should have called the school to make sure everything was in order and that your file was complete. i think part of their app has to do with being on top of all the required materails

keep m updated on how thigns go

Do you guys think an October 20 interview is late?

Do you guys think an October 20 interview is late?

No, anything before December/January is not late. In January last cycle, about 70% of the spots were filled. They became much more selective at that point.

People that interview in February/March are almost only interviewing for waitlist positions.

dsoz

mind sharing stats?

30R
3.6 cGPA
3.47 sGPA

extreme upward trend

No problem. I have a 3.7cGPA/3.5sGPA and a 30Q. I'm sure you'll get the call any day now. Good luck.

No, anything before December/January is not late. In January last cycle, about 70% of the spots were filled. They became much more selective at that point.

People that interview in February/March are almost only interviewing for waitlist positions.

dsoz

Also, I know that they are making more interviews later in the cycle this year for exceptional candidates who couldn't/didn't apply earlier.

No problem. I have a 3.7cGPA/3.5sGPA and a 30Q. I'm sure you'll get the call any day now. Good luck.

ah thanks for the words of encouragement. been sitting on complete since 8/14. Western is one of my top choices

When I hear the mailman drive up:
yvJY1.gif

When the decision letter didn't come yet:
289zpl1jpg.gif

I've read that even an Arizona medical school (AZCOM) have the following clinical rotation sites in L.A./Orange County, whereas COMP, an L.A. based school doesn't have them in its rotation list:

Fountain Valley Regional Medical Center in Fountain Valley, CA
Newport Bay Hospital in Newport, CA
Anaheim West Medical Center in Anaheim, CA
Scripps Green Hospital in La Jolla, CA
Botsford General Hospital in Farmington Hills, CA
Pacific Hospital of Long Beach in Long Beach, CA

Any COMP student to comment about why?

I've read that even an Arizona medical school (AZCOM) have the following clinical rotation sites in L.A./Orange County, whereas COMP, an L.A. based school doesn't have them in its rotation list:

Fountain Valley Regional Medical Center in Fountain Valley, CA
Newport Bay Hospital in Newport, CA
Anaheim West Medical Center in Anaheim, CA
Scripps Green Hospital in La Jolla, CA
Botsford General Hospital in Farmington Hills, CA
Pacific Hospital of Long Beach in Long Beach, CA

Any COMP student to comment about why?
Those are all farther away from LA than many, though not all, of the COMP sites. That may have some bearing.

Those are all farther away from LA than many, though not all, of the COMP sites. That may have some bearing.

I don't think so. They're in the same vicinity, let alone are located in LA (AZCOM is in Arizona, you see.)

But, it's for sure they are much greater and better locations to be (maybe with the exception of Arrowhead) for clinical rotations than those COMP has. I'm kinda surprised why COMP doesn't have any connections with them; they seem like great.

I don't think so. They're in the same vicinity, let alone are located in LA (AZCOM is in Arizona, you see.)

But, it's for sure they are much greater and better locations to be (maybe with the exception of Arrowhead) for clinical rotations than those COMP has. I'm kinda surprised why COMP doesn't have any connections with them; they seem like great.

La Jolla is by San Diego, not by LA.

Do you have a list of COMP's core rotation sites?

La Jolla is by San Diego, not by LA.

Do you have a list of COMP's core rotation sites?

Here they're:

Alhambra Hospital Medical Center, Alhambra, CA
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Colton, CA
Doctor's Hospital of Montclair, Montclair, CA
Downey Regional Medical Center, Downey, CA
Chino Valley Medical Center, Chino, CA
Corona Regional Medical Center, Corona, CA
Garfield Medical Center, Monterey Park, CA
Kaiser Permanente, Fontana, CA
Marian Medical Center, Santa Maria, CA
North Orange County Pediatrics, Placentia, CA
Pacific Hospital of Long Beach, Long Beach, CA
Patton State Hospital, San Bernardino, CA
Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center, Pomona, CA
Citrus Valley Medical Center, San Bernardino, CA
Rancho Los Amigos Rehabilitation Center, Downey, CA
Riverside County Regional Medical Center, Moreno Valley, CA
San Antonio Community Hospital, Upland, CA
San Bernardino County Department of Behavioral Health, Rialto, CA
St. Jude Medical Center, Fullerton, CA
Ventura Community Memorial Hospital, Ventura, CA
Western University of Health Sciences Patient Care Center, Pomona, CA

My apologies, haven't seen Pacific Hospital of Long Beach, Long Beach, CA among COMP's core rotation list.

I know, I've applied to AZCOM. What I'm saying is that the Anaheim location you posted is the only one on AZCOM's list that's actually within driving distance to Los Angeles as opposed to COMP's Downey, Alhambra, Fullerton, Monterey Park, and, debatably, ~Pomona. See what I'm saying?

I know, I've applied to AZCOM. What I'm saying is that the Anaheim location you posted is the only one on AZCOM's list that's actually within driving distance to Los Angeles as opposed to COMP's Downey, Alhambra, Fullerton, Monterey Park, and, debatably, ~Pomona. See what I'm saying?

You're right Deutsch.. I haven't checked COMP's sites up until now, and I got more excited... and, your avatar is kinda irritating.. :D

i wish comp had some real LA rotation sites and not just in the outskirts of LA

My application was released last week, but I still have not received the secondary from this school? Approximately how long do they take?

+1
but, I think Alhambra, Long Beach ones would do it for me... I'm real excited...

Yeah, I think Alhambra is the best (imagine all the good chinese food we can eat around there :D

but still it would be nice if there was something west of downtown LA

Yeah, I think Alhambra is the best (imagine all the good chinese food we can eat around there :D

but still it would be nice if there was something west of downtown LA

that's what I'm talking about..

They don't send out these letters via Express Mail do they? I'm on the east coast and don't think I can't hold out over the weekend if they mail the letters out on Friday....

They don't send out these letters via Express Mail do they? I'm on the east coast and don't think I can't hold out over the weekend if they mail the letters out on Friday....

No, I don't think they do. Although, if they just asked us if we wanted to pay for overnight shipping via fedex or something, I guarantee the majority of interviewees would do it.

My application was released last week, but I still have not received the secondary from this school? Approximately how long do they take?

My application was released on the 31st of August and I got a secondary invite on the 7th or 10th of September.

Give it a couple more days! The waiting is awful though.