Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just spoke with an admissions counselor today. She said that acceptance letters will be sent out next week because they are waiting for the dean to come back and sign the documents. This wait is killing me.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know what their anatomy lab is like?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

I just spoke with an admissions counselor today. She said that acceptance letters will be sent out next week because they are waiting for the dean to come back and sign the documents. This wait is killing me.

Are you serious? That is beyond frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes... it looks like a typical anatomy lab. It's not super fancy. They have metal tables with the cadavers lying on them with plastic over them. The room looks like a normal lab room.

There were 40-45 cadavers in the lab from different ages. We were walked through the lab, and spent some time smelling it inside. Each year fresh cadavers are brought. One of the students who was giving us the campus tour told that her group had found a rare case (a large tumor in the abdomen) this year such that 5-10 attending physicians had come over to see it.

NOTE: this is about the COMP-NW campus in Lebanon. I actually have not seen inside the anatomy lab in Pomona.

The one thing that impressed me about the anatomy lab, at least at the Lebanon campus, is that they have ultrasound machines in the anatomy lab. Not only do they CAT scan and MRI each cadaver, but you also practice imaging with the ultrasound while in lab. According to one of the tour guides that I was with, you need to be able to use the ultrasound in the lab. For example, one of the practical quiz questions was for you to find the femoral vein (or some other vein/artery) blood flow on the ultrasound and have the TA check off that you could do it for the point.

I have asked at the other two schools where I have interviewed (LECOM-B and Nova) and the tour guide said that they don't do things like that there. This is one of the reasons that COMP-NW is still rather high on my list. I like the practical side to the education.

dsoz

Lol what! What happened to 10-15 days!

I'm debating as to whether or not to attend my Western interview in October...I already have an acceptance from DMU and would happy to attend DMU, but Western is in California. But it's also a lot more expensive (in terms of tuition and cost of living).

I'm debating as to whether or not to attend my Western interview in October...I already have an acceptance from DMU and would happy to attend DMU, but Western is in California. But it's also a lot more expensive (in terms of tuition and cost of living).

I'd rather go see the school (COMP) by your own eyes and open senses in order not to regret later. If you're already in Cali, then it'd be a lot easier and cheaper to make that travel happen. Then, sit down, do your calc, and decide which one to go.

Don't you bail on me Virtuoso!

I've heard nothing but good things from people about Western. If someone came on DMU's thread now raving about how much they hate it would it change your mind? Lots of other Western students have come on here saying that they don't feel the same way. I wouldn't let one disgruntled person stop you from scoping out the place yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard nothing but good things from people about Western. If someone came on DMU's thread now raving about how much they hate it would it change your mind? Lots of other Western students have come on here saying that they don't feel the same way. I wouldn't let one disgruntled person stop you from scoping out the place yourself.

then you haven't read everything that has been getting posted about western

then you haven't read everything that has been getting posted about western

I've read the whole thread..and there have been more students coming on here to say that OP's opinion isn't representative of the how a majority of students feel than those who have supported it.

Edit: oops, wrong thread. I didn't realize this was just the regular discussion thread and not the other one with the OMS I ranting.

Last edited:
I'd rather go see the school (COMP) by your own eyes and open senses in order not to regret later. If you're already in Cali, then it'd be a lot easier and cheaper to make that travel happen. Then, sit down, do your calc, and decide which one to go.

I would go if I had extra funds...but I have to be a bit choosy with my interviews. I might still go, but I also have several MD interviews to attend and I don't know if going to more DO interviews is financially sound.

Don't you bail on me Virtuoso!

Meeting you would almost be reason enough to attend the Western interview, NekoBeats! Your avatar is awesome BTW.

I don't think I've read a negative comment about DMU yet on this board. I actually wouldn't mind reading negative reviews as that would help me make my decision, but I'd have to actively look for them. With Western, I've read about a lot of negatives without even searching them out. Not saying it's a bad school; I just have my reservations.

yeah,,, Western used to be my top choice, but I just can't justify the cost of their tuition after seeing CCOM and UMDNJ and knowing that PCOM is far less expensive even with itsbigger reputation.

for me location isn't the key issue anymore. i want to get the most bang out of my bucks

My 2 cents? I'd rather interview and see a school and its surroundings for myself before deciding whether or not write it off. Nevertheless, money will be a huge issue for me this year. If I received 10 interviews (*maniacal laugh of implausibility*), I'd undoubtedly have to choose 5 or 7 max. In doing so, I'd take into consideration how high on my list each school is, the curriculum type, any info regarding rotations, the area I'd be spending the next 4 years of my life, and the fact that students often find it slightly easier to match into programs within the region. But, as with everything on these forums, my opinion is but a grain of salt in this giant salt-shaker. Do with it what you will. :)

Does anyone know if Western has been sending out rejection letters?

Meeting you would almost be reason enough to attend the Western interview, NekoBeats! Your avatar is awesome BTW.

Alright so it's settled then, you're going to the interview :p I'm surprised though that you're on the fence about going since you're in Cali. DMU was really that convincing, eh? Haha

NekoBeats is as awesome in person as her avatar is on SDN. Just my opinion. :)

dsoz

Alright so it's settled then, you're going to the interview :p I'm surprised though that you're on the fence about going since you're in Cali. DMU was really that convincing, eh? Haha

DMU was convincing, but I also can't justify spending over 12k more a year in tuition alone to go to a school which is closer to my family, but not necessarily any better. I'm from the Bay Area so I would need to fly to get home anyways. DMU seems to have the upper hand in terms of reputation, quality of instruction, and rotation sites, unless someone cares to disagree with me.

do they give out rejections? ive been complete since aug 3 and still no word.

Just an FYI...
I just canceled my interview at COMP for the 10/4. I am not sure if someone could pick up this date or not, but its worth a shot for those of you interviewing later on a later day..

Just an FYI...
I just canceled my interview at COMP for the 10/4. I am not sure if someone could pick up this date or not, but its worth a shot for those of you interviewing later on a later day..

did you say somewhere that you already got into dmu?

I just got accepted to AZCOM and being from phoenix, I want to stay home :)

ah... cool, then you should go there!

wait, you just got accepted like as in today? i thought theyweren't meeting till tomorrow.... :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::

ah... cool, then you should go there!

wait, you just got accepted like as in today? i thought theyweren't meeting till tomorrow.... :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::

I thought the same thing, but apparently not! Hopefully good news for you soon!

I never got a complete email. I was still called to interview on September 8th so not getting it didn't affect anything.

did your status ever change from "application materials received"?

thanks

did your status ever change from "application materials received"?

thanks

I never got a complete email. I was still called to interview on September 8th so not getting it didn't affect anything.

I didn't... I had to email them and then they confirmed it.

you should get a "complete" email.

They sent me an e-mail after I was complete. Though I did send them an e-mail asking them about my status.

Does your status say complete? How did you know?

I had been emailing them about my letters. They took forever to upload. But once they were uploaded, I got an email that everything was complete. Funny thing is, right before that email popped into my inbox, I checked my status online and saw that my application was complete.

Has anyone received an interview yet? What kinds of questions are they asking? What is the setting for the interview/interview day like?

Has anyone received an interview yet? What kinds of questions are they asking? What is the setting for the interview/interview day like?

I don't know if Pomona is the same as Lebanon. But in Lebanon, it is a long day 8:45 to 4:00.

Tomorrow (9/29) is the first interview day in Lebanon, so nobody knows the questions that will be asked. But know the answers to "Why doctor?" "Why DO?" "Why COMP?" "Why should they accept you?" also, know your application well and be able to answer questions about it. At least one person on the interview panel will know your application well, and they will have focused questions for you.

Also, look here http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/wuhs-nw/survey/26
go down and click on the "questions" bar to see questions that were asked in the past.

Two (or three) on one interview. also 2 or 3 stations of MMI.

Also a tour, OMM/OPP demonstration, maybe anatomy lab tour.

Lunch with students, and all sorts of stuff. I tried to find the agenda, but could not locate it.

Look at http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic-northwest/interview

DISCLAMER: again, I want to stress that this if for the NW campus in Lebanon, Oregon. The interview day in Pomona may be different.

I have prepared a short (1-2 minute) introduction that includes the answers to many of the "Why..." questions that I listed above. I sort of sounds cheesy, but I explain why I have waited so long to apply to medical school (I am VERY old compared to many of you that are applying), How I changed from being a teacher to wanting to be a doctor, and how medicine and education are actually very similar. Some of my strengths, and some things that I know will be a problem, and how I plan on working with those problems so they are not going to be problems.

HTH

dsoz

I don't know if Pomona is the same as Lebanon. But in Lebanon, it is a long day 8:45 to 4:00.

Tomorrow (9/29) is the first interview day in Lebanon, so nobody knows the questions that will be asked. But know the answers to "Why doctor?" "Why DO?" "Why COMP?" "Why should they accept you?" also, know your application well and be able to answer questions about it. At least one person on the interview panel will know your application well, and they will have focused questions for you.

Also, look here http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/wuhs-nw/survey/26
go down and click on the "questions" bar to see questions that were asked in the past.

Two (or three) on one interview. also 2 or 3 stations of MMI.

Also a tour, OMM/OPP demonstration, maybe anatomy lab tour.

Lunch with students, and all sorts of stuff. I tried to find the agenda, but could not locate it.

Look at http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic-northwest/interview

DISCLAMER: again, I want to stress that this if for the NW campus in Lebanon, Oregon. The interview day in Pomona may be different.

I have prepared a short (1-2 minute) introduction that includes the answers to many of the "Why..." questions that I listed above. I sort of sounds cheesy, but I explain why I have waited so long to apply to medical school (I am VERY old compared to many of you that are applying), How I changed from being a teacher to wanting to be a doctor, and how medicine and education are actually very similar. Some of my strengths, and some things that I know will be a problem, and how I plan on working with those problems so they are not going to be problems.

HTH

dsoz

It was about the same at Pomona, with an exception that the day started at 7:15am and ended like 1:30pm after the lunch and campus tour with the current students.

Withdrew my oct 4th interview. Would not attend over LMU or MSU. Hope one of you get it.

O' Western Pomona, I have been patiently waiting and waiting to get some love from you, but you have decided to be a jerk and not give me the much awaited phone call. Now that I have my first acceptance, you ignoring me hurts much less. I guess you weren't taught to be nice to your neighbor. Its OK, next time I drive past you, I won't give you a second glance. No hard feelings.
Good bye for now. +pity+

52k/year + living expenses in cali >>>>>>59k/year + no living expenses...+MSU>>>>Western (no offense to anyone) .

How are you only paying 59k per year?! That's pretty sweet! Is it a special deal for Canadians?

And how do you have no living expenses if you go to msu?

Luckily, Canadians get 20k/year off of OOS tuition, bringing it to 59k/year. I border detroit and am about a 25 minute car ride form the DMC campus, so I am able to live at home in Windsor and save living expenses...thank god.

Luckily, Canadians get 20k/year off of OOS tuition, bringing it to 59k/year. I border detroit and am about a 25 minute car ride form the DMC campus, so I am able to live at home in Windsor and save living expenses...thank god.

That sounds like a really sweet deal. I would probably choose that too, given your circumstances. Good luck with everything!