Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an acceptance call (12:00pm). I've been on the waitlist since November iirc. I'm thankful for the opportunity but have made many arrangements for another school I have come to find is a better fit. Best wishes to the next person on the waitlist! <3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Any waitlist movement or updated information? Seems like offers are being made but people arent taking them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did accepted students have already paid their tuition? And, will they have waitlist movement after the orientation?

Hi,
I am applying to western University of health science for Int Pharmd program this admission cycle but i have no clue how to write the essays in form filling.
I mean i am new to USA, i am still learning English and they are asking me to identify one social problem in USA and a possible solution of it. This is tough for and i definitely need someones guidance/help.
Would any of you guys mind sharing some ideas relevant to topics this year.
i am not sure how important these essays are when it come to the selection as student, but i know the competition is tough so it must be very important.

Hi,
I am applying to western University of health science for Int Pharmd program this admission cycle but i have no clue how to write the essays in form filling.
I mean i am new to USA, i am still learning English and they are asking me to identify one social problem in USA and a possible solution of it. This is tough for and i definitely need someones guidance/help.
Would any of you guys mind sharing some ideas relevant to topics this year.
i am not sure how important these essays are when it come to the selection as student, but i know the competition is tough so it must be very important.
1. Try the PharmD thread since this is osteopathic medicine if you want a better answer.
2. WesternU, in my experience, uses the essays to try to see who you are as a person. Getting a topic from someone may make it harder to get an idea of who you are. Since you are "new" to the USA, being honest and saying something along the lines of "In my few months of being in the USA and experiencing the different social environment, it is difficult for me to see where the social problems are because I live in (some city). My experience thus far is that the main problems are less about social issues and are more economic. At the soup kitchen I volunteer at, people of all ethnic backgrounds seem to suffer from the slowing economy..." etc. This DOES answer the prompt directly and HONESTLY. If you just repeat something someone else tells you, an interviewer might be able to tell, if you can't talk about it that well when they ask about it.
3. I'm a weird guy so I'd actually approach that particular question by talking about the negatives of Pokemon GO. The social issue would be how negative online gaming behaviors are translating to real life behaviors (trolling, scams, hacking/cheating). And then end the essay on the positives and how to minimize the negatives. There are many ways to write effectively, so pick the one that represents your ideal self and stick with that version for best results.

Are letters of recommendation for Western solely submitted through AACOM?

Western states, "Two letters of recommendation
One (1) from a physician (MD or DO only, DO preferred)
One (1) from a science professor OR from a university health professions committee"

Do I just make sure and have these recommendations on my AACOM? Or would I mail these to western?

does anyone have any recommendations on how to increase chances at receiving an II after being placed on hold? would really appreciate it, thanks!

does anyone have any recommendations on how to increase chances at receiving an II after being placed on hold? would really appreciate it, thanks!
Go to preview day and get your name out to deans and professors.

Reactions: 1 user
Do they change the secondary application each year? I am debating completing them now, so I can complete the secondary day one.

Yo, got some snailmail today after interviewing 09/24/15. Not a complete rejection (whew) but not an acceptance either--but definitely better than being in the dark after 3 weeks. Verdict: I am on the alternates list.

Apparently here's how it works for those wondering:

1. Update your application periodically/send in letters of intent/additionally LORs.
2.They review your application again on a routine basis.
3.They'll notify you given an opening in the class--people dropping their deposits (typically around March --> August)

Congrats on those who've gotten in, GL to future interviewees~

What format did you send updates in? Did you email them to admissions in a pdf form or add them to your portal? Also, how long after being on the waitlist did you get an acceptance?