WSU-CVM- Applications C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone going to change out of their interview clothes for the other activities later in the day? Like the sit-in and the panels at night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably, though I've read/heard that it's not the kind of interview environment that demands a suit. I'll still have pants and a t-shirt to swap into for the rest of the day. :)

Members don't see this ad.

The interviewers are not a part of the dinner and panel events, so no one is going to be evaluating you or how you're dressed. Just make sure you're neat and presentable and you'll be fine. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have we confirmed whether they release invites and/or rejections in waves or all at once? I haven't received either yet. At first I figured a rejection letter must be coming my way, but based on when others received theirs it seems I should have received one by now. Hmmmm

Reactions: 2 users
Have we confirmed whether they release invites and/or rejections in waves or all at once? I haven't received either yet. At first I figured a rejection letter must be coming my way, but based on when others received theirs it seems I should have received one by now. Hmmmm
I'm anxiously checking the mail everyday, as well as my email. I noticed on the WSU portal that they pulled my VMCAs application on the 19th of November...I thought this was a bit strange as I figured they received it back in September when I submitted. Have you checked your portal?

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

I
I haven't gotten one either. Maybe there's still hope!

I'm anxiously checking the mail everyday, as well as my email. I noticed on the WSU portal that they pulled my VMCAs application on the 19th of November...I thought this was a bit strange as I figured they received it back in September when I submitted. Have you checked your portal?

I had submitted mine in July but they didn't pull my application until 10/19. With you getting pulled so late I feel like they must be doing interview invites in waves, but someone should confirm it for sure.

I had submitted mine in July but they didn't pull my application until 10/19. With you getting pulled so late I feel like they must be doing interview invites in waves, but someone should confirm it for sure.
Interesting. I see now that they didn't mark mine as complete until November 3rd even though I submitted everything back in late August. Makes no sense. The mystery continues....

Is anyone going to change out of their interview clothes for the other activities later in the day? Like the sit-in and the panels at night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I'm definitely in a position to given my interview is so early, I don't think I'll change. A lot of people have said it's fine to be dressed casually, but I'd much rather look super professional all day lol

Although I'm definitely in a position to given my interview is so early, I don't think I'll change. A lot of people have said it's fine to be dressed casually, but I'd much rather look super professional all day lol
I promise they don’t care at all how you’re dressed after the interview :) I know some schools will still observe applicants during events other than the interview and use that in their decisions, but WSU doesn’t.

At the very least bring comfortable shoes to change into if you really don’t want to change out of interview attire haha

I promise they don’t care at all how you’re dressed after the interview :) I know some schools will still observe applicants during events other than the interview and use that in their decisions, but WSU doesn’t.

At the very least bring comfortable shoes to change into if you really don’t want to change out of interview attire haha
Which specific schools are you refering to?

Which specific schools are you refering to?
I just applied here, so maybe that’s more of a myth haha I just remember it being mentioned in other schools threads that the other interview events were still used to evaluate applicants to some extent.

Reactions: 1 user
I plan on flying into Spokane and driving to Pullman through a rental car. Should I consider renting an suv if there is snow ? I’m assuming the state is well prepared and clears the roads, but just to be safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on flying into Spokane and driving to Pullman through a rental car. Should I consider renting an suv if there is snow ? I’m assuming the state is well prepared and clears the roads, but just to be safe.
Same. I haven't rented a car yet because I was also unsure of weather

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

The road between Pullman and Spokane can be treacherous in good weather. It's one lane in either direction and not at all lit. People drive faster than is safe and aggressively pass. I have (intentionally) never driven on it in winter weather conditions, but I would say be prepared for black ice. If an SUV would make you more comfortable, it's probably not a bad idea. Yes, they clear snow from the roads, but if this year is anything like last year, the ice is the problem and it builds up.

From looking at their class statistics page, is the offers portion the number of people who interviewed? Or is it the amount of people that were offered admission, and the admitted is those who chose to attend?

http://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/class-statistics
There is an interview offer (number of people who got interviews) and an admissions offered column. The admitted column is (of the people who were offered admission) who said yes and subsequently went there.

I don’t think an SUV is totally necessary, but I’d get a car with AWD though. Yes people can be idiots in the snow, but I never had a problem driving last year with my little Impreza. Just drive a little slower, leave lots of room, and try to get flights that let you drive in the light and you’ll be fine.

The road between Pullman and Spokane can be treacherous in good weather. It's one lane in either direction and not at all lit. People drive faster than is safe and aggressively pass. I have (intentionally) never driven on it in winter weather conditions, but I would say be prepared for black ice. If an SUV would make you more comfortable, it's probably not a bad idea. Yes, they clear snow from the roads, but if this year is anything like last year, the ice is the problem and it builds up.
It's not that bad, usually. If you're worried about the drive but don't want to take the bus (which is a really reliable way to get to Pullman, especially in bad weather, since most rental cars won't have snow tires. Once you're here everything is within walking distance or on the bus route, so it's 100% possible to survive without a rental car), you can try and schedule yourself so that you're driving during daylight hours. I hate driving unfamiliar roads in the dark. Spokane to Pullman is really not that bad - a little curvy, and if you're not used to driving in snow then it might be disconcerting. I wouldn't call that highway treacherous.

It's not that bad, usually. If you're worried about the drive but don't want to take the bus (which is a really reliable way to get to Pullman, especially in bad weather, since most rental cars won't have snow tires. Once you're here everything is within walking distance or on the bus route, so it's 100% possible to survive without a rental car), you can try and schedule yourself so that you're driving during daylight hours. I hate driving unfamiliar roads in the dark. Spokane to Pullman is really not that bad - a little curvy, and if you're not used to driving in snow then it might be disconcerting. I wouldn't call that highway treacherous.
Meant to QUOTE, Hows is Uber/LYFT, taxi service in the area ?

I second this because I think my interview is too early for me to take even the first bus, and I'm flying in.

I second this because I think my interview is too early for me to take even the first bus, and I'm flying in.

Do you mean from Spokane to Pullman, or within Pullman to the school?

If you mean Spokane to Pullman, you'll need to take the shuttle I mentioned before. It's about a 90 minute drive, and I don't think any taxi will be willing to take you that far. Here's the shuttle info: Wheatland Express - Eastern Washington Transportation

If you mean within Pullman, there are taxis (College Cabs I believe is the company?), but I've heard they're not super reliable. We literally just got Uber and Lyft here this fall, and only a few cars. I've taken them at night, but I don't know if any are driving during the day. It's too small of an area to get much business, so I imagine they typically stick to weekend evenings when they're most likely to get business.

What time is your interview? Classes start here at 8, and the buses are running well before then. If you're staying at the Marriot it's a 10-15 minute walk from the school. They also have a shuttle you can schedule to take you for free I think. The Holiday Inn and Quality Inn are on a main road and should have plenty of bus service from them. Bus is really going to be your best option if you're not renting a car.

Do you mean from Spokane to Pullman, or within Pullman to the school?

If you mean Spokane to Pullman, you'll need to take the shuttle I mentioned before. It's about a 90 minute drive, and I don't think any taxi will be willing to take you that far. Here's the shuttle info:
If you mean within Pullman, there are taxis (College Cabs I believe is the company?), but I've heard they're not super reliable. We literally just got Uber and Lyft here this fall, and only a few cars. I've taken them at night, but I don't know if any are driving during the day. It's too small of an area to get much business, so I imagine they typically stick to weekend evenings when they're most likely to get business.

What time is your interview? Classes start here at 8, and the buses are running well before then. If you're staying at the Marriot it's a 10-15 minute walk from the school. They also have a shuttle you can schedule to take you for free I think. The Holiday Inn and Quality Inn are on a main road and should have plenty of bus service from them. Bus is really going to be your best option if you're not renting a car.

Thank you so so much for your help! I think I saw that the first shuttle from Spokane to Pullman wasn't quite early enough -- I thought that meant the bus system. In that case I'll take the shuttle to Pullman the night before --> walk to hotel --> then just walk/take the bus from the hotel to the interview.

Thank you so so much for your help! I think I saw that the first shuttle from Spokane to Pullman wasn't quite early enough -- I thought that meant the bus system. In that case I'll take the shuttle to Pullman the night before --> walk to hotel --> then just walk/take the bus from the hotel to the interview.
Ohh, sorry for misunderstanding! I would definitely fly in the night before in case of weather delays. Also, if you're staying at the Marriot/Residence Inn, the shuttle from the airport stops there :)

Hey, since we're talking about bad weather transportation...I already booked my flights in and out of Washington and I'll be taking a propeller plane ride from Seattle. Does anyone else have experience with this? What do I do if there's bad weather and this ride gets cancelled? Thank you!

Got my rejection letter in the mail today. OOS Tier 2 from SC

I haven’t gotten a rejection yet and I’m in Oregon! Anyone know yet if they are sending out more invites or is he mail just very slow?

I haven’t gotten a rejection yet and I’m in Oregon! Anyone know yet if they are sending out more invites or is he mail just very slow?
I'm from Oregon! but in the midwest at school

Hey, since we're talking about bad weather transportation...I already booked my flights in and out of Washington and I'll be taking a propeller plane ride from Seattle. Does anyone else have experience with this? What do I do if there's bad weather and this ride gets cancelled? Thank you!
I don't have any experience with that plane ride, but there are a few possibilities for what could happen with weather assuming you're flying into Pullman from Seattle. They could delay or cancel your flight in Seattle. If they cancelled it in Seattle I would try finding a rental car (~4.5 hr drive) or bus that would be going to Pullman or at least Spokane (i.e. bus to Spokane then rental car to Pullman). If your flight is delayed hopefully you're flying in the day before and can just wait it out. If weather was good taking off and they can't land they might try landing at a nearby airport such as Lewiston, ID or Spokane then you would have to figure out transport from there. Hope that helps some!

I don't have any experience with that plane ride, but there are a few possibilities for what could happen with weather assuming you're flying into Pullman from Seattle. They could delay or cancel your flight in Seattle. If they cancelled it in Seattle I would try finding a rental car (~4.5 hr drive) or bus that would be going to Pullman or at least Spokane (i.e. bus to Spokane then rental car to Pullman). If your flight is delayed hopefully you're flying in the day before and can just wait it out. If weather was good taking off and they can't land they might try landing at a nearby airport such as Lewiston, ID or Spokane then you would have to figure out transport from there. Hope that helps some!
Thank you! That was extremely helpful :D

I was told my an alum that she's had flights get rerouted at that time of year, so if the weather is looking bad an SUV might be in order!

OOS invite! Received email today! Guess that means there is waves!

I just applied here, so maybe that’s more of a myth haha I just remember it being mentioned in other schools threads that the other interview events were still used to evaluate applicants to some extent.
I know it's definitely used for orthodontic residencies :p
(No idea about vet schools sry guys)

OOS Invite ! crying !

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats!!! See waves of invites! Do you know what tier you are in?
I think you have to just know based off of the guidelines they give you online. My interview letter and email didn't tell me a tier, but I know I'm tier 2 based off my GPA and GRE with what's in their website.

I think you have to just know based off of the guidelines they give you online. My interview letter and email didn't tell me a tier, but I know I'm tier 2 based off my GPA and GRE with what's in their website.

I know what tier I am too but I’m just wondering if they’re sending invites out in waves of what tier you are in?

Would you mind sharing the link where they explain the tiers?