Wvsom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatDO12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else bothered by how slow they decide on interviews? I'm sure lots of people having been waiting longer, but I feel over a month and counting is unprofessional. How many applications do they receive a year? Have a lot of people received invites in only a few weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else bothered by how slow they decide on interviews? I'm sure lots of people having been waiting longer, but I feel over a month and counting is unprofessional. How many applications do they receive a year? Have a lot of people received invites in only a few weeks?

Um, a month is a short time to be complaining about. When I was applying, I heard from WVSOM in a little over a month. One school made me wait for 3 months before I got an interview invite, and the other was 5-6 months. So, No, its not unprofessional. If you really want an invite, do things like call the admissions office to check on your status...basically, let them know that you are interested in the school. I was talking to our admissions personal yesterday, and she was telling me about how important calling and things are to show that an applicant is really interested.

Are you kidding me??? WVSOM is actually the best thus far, in my opinion, at getting back to people in a very timely fashion. I would say the time frame between me applying there until the acceptance letter was about 2 to 2.5 months total. Now as for the allopathic programs, I've been complete for a looong time, & not heard much. Be patient & keep your hopes up. & the last post was true- the people at WVSOM truly are the difference- they're part of the reason why I really fell in love w/ the program (despite the location being so different from what I'm used to). They're super nice & personable- so don't be so impatient & don't make assumtions. Best of luck!!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone was really friendly when I interviewed there. Campus is really nice. I got to sit in PBL session when I was there and it was really nice. Goodluck everyone.

I interviewed in September on the 20th and got the good news the following week. Maybe they are just slowing down these days. But, no news is good news IMO. Beats a rejection.

Good luck!

what are the reservations you all have with WVSOM?

Yo...

if you have a problem call the admissions office. Angela Bowyer is awesome. She'll tell you like it is. For instance, I had my interview last Wed and she told me the exact place in line that my application is for final review and assured me when it would be reviewed (this Tues) Overall, turnaround time is about 2 weeks after interview..possibly 3. They're doing a great job, just remember to communicate with the school fi you have problems!!!

just my 2 cents.

what are the reservations you all have with WVSOM?

Good school, good board scores, good facilities, very nice faculty/admin staff. Reservations: LOCATION!, Lack of anything around you, rotations for 200 kids in the state of WV???, and a lack of diversity in the students (since I'm not caucasian, in the state of WV?) :eek:

But very nice school otherwise.

Good school, good board scores, good facilities, very nice faculty/admin staff. Reservations: LOCATION!, Lack of anything around you.
And for some of us (ME) these are the exact reasons why I love the school. I want to live and practice rural medicine. Where's a better place to learn it than in a rural area. It is very quite there, almost no crime in the entire town, beautiful, lots of outdoors stuff to do. It would be my dream school if it wasn't 1500 miles from my entire family. My only problem with the school is that with kids I would like to know that I was going to be able to stay around L'burg for rotations. While there is a fair chance that I will be able to be either in L'burg or Beckley (50 miles away), it is still not gauranteed. For me that really sucks! we are buying a house down there and will have kids in school so I REALLY don't want to have to move after 2nd year. Otherwise, I LOVE the school. I have talked with several people outside of SDN and the interview, that go down there and I have literally NEVER heard a single person say that they didin't like it! Both WVSOM and the town itself are VERY community oriented. When we talked to the lady at the toy store, she said that everyone in town loves and supports the "O" and it's students. The school is very much a part of the economy down there. JMO :p :D

And for some of us (ME) these are the exact reasons why I love the school. I want to live and practice rural medicine. Where's a better place to learn it than in a rural area. It is very quite there, almost no crime in the entire town, beautiful, lots of outdoors stuff to do. It would be my dream school if it wasn't 1500 miles from my entire family. My only problem with the school is that with kids I would like to know that I was going to be able to stay around L'burg for rotations. While there is a fair chance that I will be able to be either in L'burg or Beckley (50 miles away), it is still not gauranteed. For me that really sucks! we are buying a house down there and will have kids in school so I REALLY don't want to have to move after 2nd year. Otherwise, I LOVE the school. I have talked with several people outside of SDN and the interview, that go down there and I have literally NEVER heard a single person say that they didin't like it! Both WVSOM and the town itself are VERY community oriented. When we talked to the lady at the toy store, she said that everyone in town loves and supports the "O" and it's students. The school is very much a part of the economy down there. JMO :p :D

Did you apply to DCOM? They are set up better than WVSOM if you have kids. The moving after 2 years was a major issue for me too because I have children as well. I withdrew my app at WVSOM after my acceptance to DCOM because of that. At DCOM you should be able to stay in one place for the entire four years. Plus, there are several residency programs in the area so you might be able to stay in the same place for that as well. That is my plan which will hopefully work out. I want to practice rural family medicine in the Appalachian region so DCOM is the perfect spot. I will say that when I called to withdraw my app at WVSOM the woman I spoke to was incredibly nice! I am sure it is a wonderful school, and if I didn't have children I would have remained interested in it. Good luck to you and everyone else!:luck: :luck:

Loves the "O"?

Congrats on getting in your ideal school :)

Is there a strong push for med students at WVSOM to do rural medicine or pimary care in general? Do you know if they support those who want to specialize?

Loves the "O"?

Is there a strong push for med students at WVSOM to do rural medicine or pimary care in general? Do you know if they support those who want to specialize?

I believe WVSOM is a top ranked rural medicine school (including DO and MD). They are definitely predominantly a rural primary care medicine school. I have no idea about anything else. I am just stating what I saw on their website.:luck:

I did not apply to DCOM. It looks like a good school. however, I am not real excited about it being BRAND NEW. Also, I really like the PBL at WVSOM. Are you gauranteed to be able to stay in Harrogate for all 4 years? Also, WVSOM has a family practice residency in Ronceverte (8 miles away) if we decide we want to stay.

Loves the "O"?

yes, when i interivewed it was one of the first things i asked about. I actually met students trying for ortho, EM, IM, Surgery, etc...

Even met someone going for OBGYN. So yes, you can specialize. Just keep the grades up, get good board scores, and keep a leveled head.

OBGYN is not a competitive field...(I know personally I wouldn't want to be doing that all day :laugh:

I'm sitting here in Lewisburg as I type this. Interviewing on Monday. The thing that is already holding me back from this school is the tuition. It's probably worth it if you're doing NHSC or something like that. Any of you going that route?

On my drive here I saw some of the most impoverished neighborhoods I've ever seen - and I've seen a lot of them all over the world. I can definitely see why they put a med school here; this is a very depressed region and needs some TLC!

Good school, good board scores, good facilities, very nice faculty/admin staff. Reservations: LOCATION!, Lack of anything around you, rotations for 200 kids in the state of WV???, and a lack of diversity in the students (since I'm not caucasian, in the state of WV?) :eek:

your rotations at WVSOM has to be in state?

Third year rotations have to be instate, 4th year can be anywhere.