2010-2011 Brown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
completed 7/28
invited 8/10

Members don't see this ad.

It's been longer than 3 weeks since I got the e-mail that says "It will take 3 weeks for your app to be processed". Should I give them a call?

Anyone else have this problem?

It's been longer than 3 weeks since I got the e-mail that says "It will take 3 weeks for your app to be processed". Should I give them a call?

I got an interview invite a couple days ago, but I never received a "Complete" email. It wouldn't hurt to call; clearly applications have been "completed" before the official emails are sent out.

submitted 7/19
invited 8/10

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite a couple days ago, but I never received a "Complete" email. It wouldn't hurt to call; clearly applications have been "completed" before the official emails are sent out.

submitted 7/19
invited 8/10

If you didn't get a "Complete" e-mail either... then I have less of a reason to worry. I got that "we will review your file" e-mail on 07/19. Can't remember when I submitted. Most likely, they've reviewed my app and put me on hold until they've interviewed much more qualified candidates. Their interviews are "near-acceptances" so I would imagine they don't want to hand them out lightly.

Thanks for your input. :)

If you didn't get a "Complete" e-mail either... then I have less of a reason to worry. I got that "we will review your file" e-mail on 07/19. Can't remember when I submitted. Most likely, they've reviewed my app and put me on hold until they've interviewed much more qualified candidates. Their interviews are "near-acceptances" so I would imagine they don't want to hand them out lightly.

Thanks for your input. :)

Check your spam or junk mail inbox if you have one...i just found brown's confirmation email hidden in mine

To amend my earlier post:
Submitted 7/19
Completed 7/27
Invited 8/10

Check your spam or junk mail inbox if you have one...i just found brown's confirmation email hidden in mine

To amend my earlier post:
Submitted 7/19
Completed 7/27
Invited 8/10

Nope. I monitor the spam folder pretty closely, after hearing stories about how invites end up there sometimes. I'll call them the middle of next week if I still don't have that confirmation e-mail.

I really want an invite here.
This is definitely one of my top choice schools. :xf:

I'm a little confused.
I mean, I don't want to get ahead of myself -- because
I have not been invited (yet.. hopefully).
But I was wondering about Brown's admission policy.
Is it true that if you schedule an interview, say, in September,
and you get in by October, that you have to decide within three weeks?
But there are so many schools that only inform you of their acceptance
in early Spring 2011. Can you hold your place in the class until you know
what other schools you've gotten into?!!!! :eek:

Just wondering if anyone knew.
Thanks

I'm a little confused.
I mean, I don't want to get ahead of myself -- because
I have not been invited (yet.. hopefully).
But I was wondering about Brown's admission policy.
Is it true that if you schedule an interview, say, in September,
and you get in by October, that you have to decide within three weeks?
But there are so many schools that only inform you of their acceptance
in early Spring 2011. Can you hold your place in the class until you know
what other schools you've gotten into?!!!! :eek:

Just wondering if anyone knew.
Thanks
you should familiarize yourself more with the app process. you can hold as many acceptances as you want until may.

"An applicant offered admission to the Medical School has three weeks from the date on the acceptance letter in which to accept or decline the offer. If an acceptance is not received in writing by the end of this three-week period, the applicant is deemed to have declined, and the offer of admission is withdrawn. Applicants are obligated to notify Brown promptly if they decide to accept an offer of admission elsewhere and wish to decline Brown's offer."

http://med.brown.edu/admissions/applicant.html

I might just be dense :oops:, but that seems to be pretty clear. Then again, my verbal score on the MCAT was pretty low

"An applicant offered admission to the Medical School has three weeks from the date on the acceptance letter in which to accept or decline the offer. If an acceptance is not received in writing by the end of this three-week period, the applicant is deemed to have declined, and the offer of admission is withdrawn. Applicants are obligated to notify Brown promptly if they decide to accept an offer of admission elsewhere and wish to decline Brown's offer."

http://med.brown.edu/admissions/applicant.html

I might just be dense :oops:, but that seems to be pretty clear. Then again, my verbal score on the MCAT was pretty low

you can technically accept it and pay the deposit- but you can hold as many acceptances as you want / withdraw them (and get refunded) until may 15

check here:
http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Dean_of_the_College/hco/applicants/decisions.shtml

submitted secondary Aug 1 - still haven't been "processed"/ haven't received the email on how to check my status....hopefully this week

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Interview invite today, 8/16. Submitted secondary 7/22 and got the "thank you for submitting email" 7/25. Never got a complete email...my letters were uploaded to AMCAS 8/3, and according to Brown's website, they haven't downloaded them yet, so I don't know whats up with that...3.8cum/3.82sci/37S/OOS.

Very Excited!!! Good luck to all!

WOW! Congrats. With those stats... no surprise. I feel so inadequate, lol.

Last edited:
Congratulations! :)
Did the interview invite come via email or via a status update?

Just curious, but how long is everyone's personality/Why Alpert essay?

Just curious, but how long is everyone's personality/Why Alpert essay?

~5500. I had it longer, but it sounded like i was rambling on so I cut it down. sounds more natural now. I'd say as long as it's 60-70% of the max character count, you should be okay.

Now i'm in the same situation - I'll probably give them a call on Monday. There is no way to check your status online until your account is "activated"/your application is processed, right?

Best of luck, Bulldog. I have some good news for you, and some bad news: last year, "5902 applied, 209 interviewed, 190 were accepted, 94 enrolled." That tells us that getting an interview is practically impossible, but an interview is essentially an acceptance.

I'm guessing that the 19 people who were interviewed but not accepted were very smart and had off-the-charts stats, but were unbearably eccentric.

These stats aren't completely correct, esp about the number accepted and enrolled... 1/2 of their class is from the PLME route, so it only leaves about 40 spots total for anyone else. From their website: "For the Fall 2010 entering class, Alpert Medical School received 2,441 secondary applications for 38-40 openings in the standard route. 255 applicants including postbaccalaureate linkage candidates, were interviewed."

Hopefully my interview will go well.. good luck to you all.

I was complete on 8/10 but when I just logged in it says that I haven't even submitted! Has this happened to anyone else?

I was complete on 8/10 but when I just logged in it says that I haven't even submitted! Has this happened to anyone else?

happened to me as well. i called admissions and they said it was fairly common; for what ever reason it will occasionally think you are trying to start a new app.

they said they go through and delete the duplicates that have not be filled out.

you could call to verify that it was submitted, but this is probably what happened.

in short, nothing to worry about i don't think

Ummmmmmmmmm, I just submitted and promptly got an email from the admissions office telling me that I missed this essay question:

"Imagine that it is the year 2030. What would you like to have accomplished thus far in your life, and how did Alpert Medical School help you achieve these goals?"

I didnt see this question anywhere in the application, did I just blatantly miss it? Did anyone else see this question who applied to the regular MD program?

I think that was the question asked last year. I didn't see that in my application...Unless they just added it which I doubt

Does anyone have a phone number for admissions that I would actually be able to talk to someone? I can't get a hold of ANYBODY at the admissions office save their phone robot... :thumbdown:

Does anyone have a phone number for admissions that I would actually be able to talk to someone? I can't get a hold of ANYBODY at the admissions office save their phone robot... :thumbdown:

Nah, I've only been able to get the answering machine. But someone usually calls back within a few days or so. It just sucks if u miss the call back ---> phonetag.

For those of you who are complete, how long were you in "processing"?

There were 16 days between when I submitted and received access to the "check you app" site, wondering how long until I hear from them again / should start checking online again.

thanks!

For those of you who are complete, how long were you in "processing"?

There were 16 days between when I submitted and received access to the "check you app" site, wondering how long until I hear from them again / should start checking online again.

thanks!

I was "complete" 5 days after AMCAs received my LORs. No email though. Just updated status. I have been complete now for about a week.

Interview invite! Soo excited!!! :D
Good luck all!

Congrats!! That is exciting. What a great program.

anyone else suddenly unable to log into their account to check their status?

anyone else suddenly unable to log into their account to check their status?

Negative, but hey, it could mean they're working on updating yours...

Well this thread is super quiet, so I thought I'd repeat some info mentioned on last year's thread. Apparently Hermione from Harry Potter goes here, and that's pretty awesome! :D

Haha yea I heard that. Pretty sure she's an undergrad.

Last edited:
Haha yea I heard that. Pretty sure she's an undergrad.

Any idea when the second round of invites goes out? Brown is my number one and I'm anxiously awaiting any word from them!

They don't seem to be too predictable. Some people got the invite pretty quick, but I got it about a month after I got the account setup instructions email. Good luck though!

These stats aren't completely correct, esp about the number accepted and enrolled... 1/2 of their class is from the PLME route, so it only leaves about 40 spots total for anyone else. From their website: "For the Fall 2010 entering class, Alpert Medical School received 2,441 secondary applications for 38-40 openings in the standard route. 255 applicants including postbaccalaureate linkage candidates, were interviewed."

Hopefully my interview will go well.. good luck to you all.

Has anyone found out of the 255 people interviewed for the 40 spots, how many were accepted???

Has anyone found out of the 255 people interviewed for the 40 spots, how many were accepted???

Like 200 are accepted. But 40-50 of those are PMLE'ers so that leaves like at least 150 regular spots which is pretty good.

Interview Invite today! Complete 2 weeks ago (or rather, just sent off the secondary, since there was no complete email).

Interview Invite today! Complete 2 weeks ago (or rather, just sent off the secondary, since there was no complete email).

That's awesome! Congrats!!

Do you mind sharing your stats?

I'm still waiting to hear either way about an interview...

Congrats on the interviews guys/gals! Anyone gonna be up there November 11th?

Just a word of advice for anyone who has not yet activated their account to check their status....

When I tried to activate my account with the username and passkey Brown gave me, I was unable to login. Upon calling them, I was told my application had been "inadvertently de-activated". They fixed the problem and I can now login. Phew! Thank goodness I called and got my application re-acticated!!!!

Moral of the story: Activate your account immediately and call them if something goes wrong! :D

So I've been complete for almost two months with Brown -- I thought they usually tell you within 3-4 weeks? Also, under MCAT it says "Jul-8-2008" and not my most recent test date -- any suggestions?

So I've been complete for almost two months with Brown -- I thought they usually tell you within 3-4 weeks? Also, under MCAT it says "Jul-8-2008" and not my most recent test date -- any suggestions?

It says the date is supposed to be when they downloaded your scores, not when you actually took your tests.

I'd suggest a quick phone call. They're really nice, and it sounds like there is some technical issue with your MCAT date

Don't sweat it. I retook too and it says my old date. I emailed them and they said they had both scores.

Has anyone gone to interviews yet? What should I expect?

You should check out the "Interview Feedback" tab at the top of the page. Really helpful stuff. I don't think they've had any just yet, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.