2010-2011 Brown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I check the status of my application? Whenever I call the admissions office I get the automated voice answering system and can never get in touch with anyone. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

How do I check the status of my application? Whenever I call the admissions office I get the automated voice answering system and can never get in touch with anyone. Thanks!!

Have you set up your Brown account yet? They send an email telling you how to activate it around 2 wks after you submit

Have you set up your Brown account yet? They send an email telling you how to activate it around 2 wks after you submit

Thanks for responding Coug! I just submitted my application a week ago so I guess I have yet to receive that email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 2nd year med student at Brown. If you guys have any questions about the school please PM me (or post on here if you like). Brown is a really great school and our student body is very happy. I thought that I would put up some info for you guys to let you know some of the upcoming and exciting things, well atleast I think they are exciting, that will be applicable to your year:
1. Medical School will have a new home Starting in 2011.
2. We currently have a 2 year long doctoring course that gives gets you ready for the wards by giving you early patient contact, interview skills, and exam skills. Starting in 2011 this will be upgraded to a 4 year program that will include things like procedures, advanced interviewing skills etc....
3. There's a great mentoring program you can participate in if you wish where you'll get paired up with a 2nd year student when you start school. This really helps to ease the transition from college to med school.

The above is a very short list of some of the many exciting changes that are going on at Brown. For those of you guys who haven't gotten an interview invite yet, keep your head up. And congrats to all you guys who will interview here!

why is this thread so quiet? have people been receiving interviews here recently?

Brain Buff, did you apply here? If so, did you receive a complete email from the admissions office? Haven't heard a peep.

Yea, I applied and was complete around first week of september. No email though. I had to call and ask them. They are very, very slow, but if you get an interview you will most likely get admitted. That is how they work it.

Yea, I applied and was complete around first week of september. No email though. I had to call and ask them. They are very, very slow, but if you get an interview you will most likely get admitted. That is how they work it.

Thanks for responding!

Anybody know when they send interview invites until? I check my status every day and still "in process." Complete sometime in late august. Probably not gonna happen for me, just wishful thinking.:(

You should check out the "Interview Feedback" tab at the top of the page. Really helpful stuff. I don't think they've had any just yet, but I could be wrong.

Sorry where exactly is the interview feedback? I want to know how to prepare for my own interview!

Sorry where exactly is the interview feedback? I want to know how to prepare for my own interview!

Lol, it's at the very top of the page in the dark blue toolbar right next to the search SDN box

Just got an email from Alpert Brown.... I immediately started thinking YES!!! INTERVIEW. Alas, it was the darn "set up account" email :laugh:. O well at least now I know I'm in the game. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from Alpert Brown.... I immediately started thinking YES!!! INTERVIEW. Alas, it was the darn "set up account" email :laugh:. O well at least now I know I'm in the game. :thumbup:

same thing happened to me! may i ask when you submitted the secondary?

same thing happened to me! may i ask when you submitted the secondary?

According to the status website, the latest date was when my LOR's were received (10/14) so I'm guessing this is when I was complete. How bout u? Maybe we'll get a decision the same day if we were complete around the same time.

According to the status website, the latest date was when my LOR's were received (10/14) so I'm guessing this is when I was complete. How bout u? Maybe we'll get a decision the same day if we were complete around the same time.

likewise (10/14). :luck: to you (and me)! :)

Has anyone who has interviewed so far (and it seems as though there have not been too many posting who have interviewed) know when they will be sending decisions. And will it be by email/phone? Is it true that if you've interviewed in this early group you have a better than 50% chance of acceptance?

I thought this school was amazing. Another question I have -- I am non-traditional. Brown's first year students will be predominantly from the PMLE program and therefore just out of college and presumably know each other. Does anyone think this is a problem?

Good luck to everyone.

im stuck on a plane for two extra hours on my way to philly for my penn interview. but thats alright cos i just got an interview invite!!!!!!!

abdoc,

The PLME clique is a non-issue. I have no idea how this even got started. Most of the PLME students don't even know each other. Also they are no different than any other fresh out of college student starting med school.

Has anyone who has interviewed so far (and it seems as though there have not been too many posting who have interviewed) know when they will be sending decisions. And will it be by email/phone? Is it true that if you've interviewed in this early group you have a better than 50% chance of acceptance?

I thought this school was amazing. Another question I have -- I am non-traditional. Brown's first year students will be predominantly from the PMLE program and therefore just out of college and presumably know each other. Does anyone think this is a problem?

Good luck to everyone.

Big Congrats!! - :thumbup:

Thanks. It was definitely some nice news after being stuck on the tarmac for three hours longer than I was supposed to due to some bad weather in Philly. They seem to work super fast too because I just got my account activation email about two days ago. Regardless, I would love to go here cos its so close to boston so I can still come in to see my fam :D

When were you completed/ received the email?

Do they pick files randomly or chronologically?

Much appreciated.

When were you completed/ received the email?

Do they pick files randomly or chronologically?

Much appreciated.

I submitted the secondary 10/6, got the "open your account!" email 10/21, then received the invite on 10/27. 3 dates were offered, one in dec and 2 in jan, but I went with jan since the dec date had only a few spots left.

No idea about randomness or chronologicalnes, but it seems like they are going in order of when they get the files since the turnaround for me was sooo quick.

Good luck!

Anybody know when they send interview invites until? I check my status every day and still "in process." Complete sometime in late august. Probably not gonna happen for me, just wishful thinking.:(

according to their website, they should let you know by the end of Feb

I submitted the secondary 10/6, got the "open your account!" email 10/21, then received the invite on 10/27. 3 dates were offered, one in dec and 2 in jan, but I went with jan since the dec date had only a few spots left.

No idea about randomness or chronologicalnes, but it seems like they are going in order of when they get the files since the turnaround for me was sooo quick.

Good luck!

=/ hope thats not the case! submitted 8/17 completed 8/31...still waiting! hope they contact me soon! =)

Nothing here either...Let's keep on hoping!:luck:

WOW!!! Congrats. You must be so excited to receive a "near-acceptance."

I submitted secondary 07/19 and still haven't gotten the "complete" e-mail. When did you submit?

Are you sure that the "invite as near-acceptance" holds water? The numbers look nice from a interviewees-to-acceptances ratio standpoint, but if you factor in the BA/MD students (who I believe are counted by MSAR as trad. interviewees and have a much higher rate of acceptance), the acceptance rate for every other interviewee is comparable to other medical schools.

Are you sure that the "invite as near-acceptance" holds water? The numbers look nice from a interviewees-to-acceptances ratio standpoint, but if you factor in the BA/MD students (who I believe are counted by MSAR as trad. interviewees and have a much higher rate of acceptance), the acceptance rate for every other interviewee is comparable to other medical schools.

i would call it near acceptance...
in 2008:
209 were interviewed, 190 were accepted, 94 enrolled.

My question remains unanswered. Are those numbers telling the whole story? I have heard that a significant portion of that 190 accepted students number is comprised of BA/MD kids, which would weaken the "near acceptance if interviewed" phenomenon for traditional applicants. Last year's thread talks about this quite a bit.

Last edited:
190- 45 PLME ppl = 145/~200 interviewed. Still darn good

I'm faily sure the statistics include PLME, as Brown only lists 414 in the medical school, and if those stats show 94 enrolling in one year, there's your 400. However, PLME is ~50 students per year, so there' still a good chance of acceptance if offered an interview. However, it's certainly not a guarantee. My question is, are PLME students included in "interviewed"? My guess is yes, because they are included in "accepted" and "enrolled"

I'm faily sure the statistics include PLME, as Brown only lists 414 in the medical school, and if those stats show 94 enrolling in one year, there's your 400. However, PLME is ~50 students per year, so there' still a good chance of acceptance if offered an interview. However, it's certainly not a guarantee. My question is, are PLME students included in "interviewed"? My guess is yes, because they are included in "accepted" and "enrolled"

That's exactly my point. The only reason I bring it up is because I recently met a current MS1 (at another school) who told me that he interviewed, and was rejected from Brown. This guy's stats were insane too. At the time, I believed the 190/209 acceptance-to-interview ratio, which led me to think to myself "Brown must have thought that something is majorly wrong with this guy".

After reading last year's thread, it shows that while the odds of acceptance are still favorable if interviewed, roughly 1-in-4 don't get in. And it shows that the guy I met may not be as damaged goods as I initially thought. :smuggrin:

PLME's aren't interviewed

Not trying to beat this thing to to death, BUT...

If the PLME's "apply out" (to other med schools as well as brown), they apply to Alpert via AMCAS and interview like everyone else.

http://med.brown.edu/plme/prospective/applyout.html

Not sure how many do this, however. If most do not interview, that means that the acceptance/interview rate is 140/209. An acceptance rate of ~66%. Higher than most, but still comparable to a few other schools.

interview invite for mid january, got the invite 11/2

Anyone else interviewing this Thursday staying at the hotel on Brown's campus?

Does anyone know when decisions are announced? For some reason the date nov 12 is sticking out in my mind for this school. The school is amazing and the students I met were all super friendly and loved it there. Good luck to everyone!

Hurrrrray!

Decisions are out! Check your status website!

Yup. Just got the email notifying waitlist. Sigh, at least it's not an outright rejection. Anyone know how much movement the waitlist gets? Considering how an interview is a "near-acceptance," does that mean they have a small waitlist which means "near-rejection?"

Yup. Just got the email notifying waitlist. Sigh, at least it's not an outright rejection. Anyone know how much movement the waitlist gets? Considering how an interview is a "near-acceptance," does that mean they have a small waitlist which means "near-rejection?"

I remember them mentioning that they keep a pretty healthy waitlist.

I wonder how many people were offered spots this round of interviews...?

hey when were you guys who heard back already complete?

interview invite mid-ish august
interview late september
accepted mid november.

good luck, everyone!

complete mid August
interview invite late August
interview Early October
accepted mid November

Hope that helps!

Does anyone know how quickly after interviews Brown sends out decisions? Are they a school that keep you waiting indefinitely if they are not ready to accept you, or will they send you some kind of answer (acceptance/rejection/waitlist) soonish after the interview?

Does anyone know how quickly after interviews Brown sends out decisions? Are they a school that keep you waiting indefinitely if they are not ready to accept you, or will they send you some kind of answer (acceptance/rejection/waitlist) soonish after the interview?

They have set dates where they send your answer. For instance, December 17th (at noon eastern) is the next round of decisions

Dear thread,

I'm an undergrad who is acing classes and looking on advice to land an interview at Brown's medical school. What does it take? Of those interviewed and accepted, what were your stats? What were your ECs like? PM or post would be excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.