2013-2014 The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got an II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am ecstatic!
Beyond jealous. What date are you scheduled for?

Members don't see this ad.

In mid-December. They have 2 dates in December and one in January as of right now.

Also congrats on your acceptances and large amount of IIs! You're having a great cycle! I hope you get one to Brown so we can have another interview day together!

Members don't see this ad :)
In mid-December. They have 2 dates in December and one in January as of right now.

Also congrats on your acceptances and large amount of IIs! You're having a great cycle! I hope you get one to Brown so we can have another interview day together!

Thanks, you too! Yeah I'm bummed we didn't get to chat at Maryland - you'll have to let me know when you hear back!

I looked through last year's thread and it seems like if you don't get II by december, that is pretty much a done deal.

Does anyone know if you should send Brown a LOI asap or should you wait for your fall semester grade to come out? I also have a new publication but I would like to wait for my fall grades, but then I feel like all the interview spots would be gone by then.

Can a brown student shed light on this?

Rejected, complete 9/20. Fwiw the email said they had completed their review of primaries for the cycle, if that gives some people hope. LM75+, oos, non-ivy

Sorry to hear that, guys.

I've been complete since 7/9 and haven't heard a thing. I'm not sure what to think, since my LizzyM is a very unbalanced 67ish... Maybe they just don't even want to acknowledge me :laugh:

bummer. I've been complete since mid August and haven't heard anything. brown is one of the remaining few... maybe news is on it's way. hmm.

rejected...high LM, average other areas...OOS, public school

Got an II yesterday (11/18)! Complete 10/17. This was a reach school for me, so I'm unbelievably excited. 3.3, 33, particularly strong research, URM, gap year. Hopefully this gives hope to those who applied a bit later in the cycle :)

Reactions: 1 user
Rejection here today as well. Complete 10/1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm.. Looking at the randomish smattering of rejections and interview invites (and taking into account Sisko said they're now done with their review of primaries), does anyone else think that they might be doing a second/final review of applications that were put to the side?

I know that Dartmouth does 1) an initial review and, if that reviewer doesn't think an immediate interview is worthy, the application is put on hold until 2) a second review is done with two reviewers [who make a final decision on whether to reject or invite for interview]. Anyone know if something like that also goes on here?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, sorry if this has already been asked but does anyone know if Brown is receptive to in-the-area emails??

Hey guys, sorry if this has already been asked but does anyone know if Brown is receptive to in-the-area emails??

I've sent a couple and received no response on one and an email that it was added to my file on the second. Browsing past threads it seems that they don't particularly care. But unless the admissions office explicitly says they don't consider them, I tend to send them anyways.

Got an II yesterday (11/18)! Complete 10/17. This was a reach school for me, so I'm unbelievably excited. 3.3, 33, particularly strong research, URM, gap year. Hopefully this gives hope to those who applied a bit later in the cycle :)

this is very promising, I am an URM with average GPA and average MCAT for Puerto Rico but I have strong research and EC. I hope to be as lucky!!

Rejected, complete 9/20. Fwiw the email said they had completed their review of primaries for the cycle, if that gives some people hope. LM75+, oos, non-ivy
Application completed on 9/2, still no II or hold or rejectiion?? waiting is painful!

What does it mean by "they had completed their review of praimaries for the cycle" ? I haven't heard anything or received II since September?

What does it mean by "they had completed their review of praimaries for the cycle" ? I haven't heard anything or received II since September?
Sorry I guess I mis typed. I'll try and post the letter:

O Captain my captain,

The Admissions Committee for The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University has completed its preliminary review of applications to the MD Class of 2018. Regretfully, I must inform you that your application was not selected for interview consideration.

The Committee appreciates the time and effort that you devoted to the preparation of your application and supporting materials. While our policy does not allow for discussion of individual decisions, be assured that your application was considered with thoroughness and care despite this disappointing outcome.

Our admissions staff and committee members appreciated the opportunity to review your application, and we extend our best wishes for success in your academic and career plans.

Sincerely,

Barbara K. Fuller, MPH

Sorry I guess I mis typed. I'll try and post the letter:

O Captain my captain,

The Admissions Committee for The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University has completed its preliminary review of applications to the MD Class of 2018. Regretfully, I must inform you that your application was not selected for interview consideration.

The Committee appreciates the time and effort that you devoted to the preparation of your application and supporting materials. While our policy does not allow for discussion of individual decisions, be assured that your application was considered with thoroughness and care despite this disappointing outcome.

Our admissions staff and committee members appreciated the opportunity to review your application, and we extend our best wishes for success in your academic and career plans.

Sincerely,

Barbara K. Fuller, MPH
Thanks for responding! This is might be a generic letter. If they did completed their preliminary review of applications, I should have received some kind of status change, but nothing yet, no II still?

Thanks for responding! This is might be a generic letter. If they did completed their preliminary review of applications, I should have received some kind of status change, but nothing yet, no II still?
Well, just because they've looked at all of our applications once doesn't mean they've come to a decision. There are many convoluted ways that med schools review (and re-review) applications that don't always include status changes.

As an example I've used before, Dartmouth reviews each application a first time with one reviewer. If they're unsure about giving you an interview immediately, your application then gets reviewed a second time with two reviewers. Of course this process takes a long time, and people are notified at various times about various statuses that seem somewhat random depending on the path their application takes.

I've sent a couple and received no response on one and an email that it was added to my file on the second. Browsing past threads it seems that they don't particularly care. But unless the admissions office explicitly says they don't consider them, I tend to send them anyways.

So, I sent an in-the-area email on Thanksgiving and just got an interview offer today!!!!! Couldn't be more excited :soexcited:

EDIT: they scheduled my interview on the day that I'm going to be in the area so I'm just letting everyone know that they do take them into consideration!!

Reactions: 3 users
So, I sent an in-the-area email on Thanksgiving and just got an interview offer today!!!!! Couldn't be more excited :soexcited:

EDIT: they scheduled my interview on the day that I'm going to be in the area so I'm just letting everyone know that they do take them into consideration!!
Do you mind share your status?

Stats? My LizzyM is 72, traditional applicant, ORM, complete 9/10, have previously sent 1 update letter/letter of interest.
I am wondering if they review the applications in order or randomly. I saw some applications completed after mine, 9/2 and got rejected.

I am wondering if they review the applications in order or randomly. I saw some applications completed after mine, 9/2 and got rejected.
still haven't heard anything from the committee.

Have you sent a letter of interest? They are probably still considering whether or not to send an interview invite
I really hope that's the case, but my grade is below average. I really love the school. I will definitely send out a letter of interest. Miracle does happen!!!

I really hope that's the case, but my grade is below average. I really love the school. I will definitely send out a letter of interest. Miracle does happen!!!

I don't think it can hurt to send a letter, as long as you can articulate the reasons Brown would be a good fit. I was just looking at the pre-clinical electives for 1st and 2nd year...Brown is truly an awesome place. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I don't think it can hurt to send a letter, as long as you can articulate the reasons Brown would be a good fit. I was just looking at the pre-clinical electives for 1st and 2nd year...Brown is truly an awesome place. Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Aren't we suppose to hear something from the committee?? So quiet, has anyone recevied any status change today?

Aren't we suppose to hear something from the committee?? So quiet, has anyone recevied any status change today?
I haven't heard anything either (complete mid September). :(

:xf: We passed preliminary screening, so adcoms must have seen something they liked in our applications!
You sure they are really done with the preliminary screening or that's just a generic statement to go with the rejection letter.

You sure they are really done with the preliminary screening or that's just a generic statement to go with the rejection letter.
I believe they would be done with the preliminary screening -- especially for those of us done more than 3-4 months ago! As other above say, I take it to be a good thing that we haven't heard anything yet. It'll just make me sad when/if I do finally get a rejection after having "passed" so many cuts +pity+... since it does seem like they're in the process of re-reviewing our applications that were set aside (and making final invite/reject decisions).

I believe they would be done with the preliminary screening -- especially for those of us done more than 3-4 months ago! As other above say, I take it to be a good thing that we haven't heard anything yet. It'll just make me sad when/if I do finally get a rejection after having "passed" so many cuts +pity+... since it does seem like they're in the process of re-reviewing our applications that were set aside (and making final invite/reject decisions).
Good luck to everyone including myself who are still wating for II!

Has anyone heard anything from the committee, either II or post interview decision?? Soooooo quiet
Has anyone heard anything from Brown???

Accepted!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard anything from the committee, either II or post interview decision?? Soooooo quiet

Has anyone heard anything from Brown???

It seems like Brown has been quiet in terms of II recently.

Brown releases its post-interview decisions in batches based on interview date (I believe 4 batches). The first group of decisions was released sometime in mid-October and Brown is releasing its second round of post-interview decisions today. During the interview day, Brown tells you the specific date you'll hear back from them. For today's decisions, it should be anyone who interviewed between mid-October and late Nov/early Dec.

Accepted!!!

Congrats! :)

Last edited:
Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user