William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow. So many texans.... Where my Florida and Louisiana peeps at? Step up guys and gals.
Us Texan folk are masters of D.O.! Just look at the head of our OPP department, for instance.

Members don't see this ad.

Us Texan folk are masters of D.O.! Just look at the head of our OPP department, for instance.
I so just threw up in my mouth there J. Let me remind you about Ted Cruz... Yeah enough said. Beside how many famous DOs come out of Texas ( Jones doesnt count)

I so just threw up in my mouth there J. Let me remind you about Ted Cruz... Yeah enough said. Beside how many famous DOs come out of Texas ( Jones doesnt count)
Jones is all we need. He's the Godfather!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who sent in their secondaries, do they take LoR from AACOMAS or do I have to send it through Interfolio? Thanks

I've heard that this is a group interview (3-1) does that mean 3 faculty to 1 interviewee or the other way around? I would rather it be the former than the latter.

I've heard that this is a group interview (3-1) does that mean 3 faculty to 1 interviewee or the other way around? I would rather it be the former than the latter.
I know a student here and got a lot of information about the interview (she is a 3rd year so she gave me her experience and the experience of her 1st-year friends, so I have the most current information). They had 2 interviewers per student, asked basic questions like why DO, why WCU, why medicine, an ethical question, where you want to practice, and whether or not you'd be comfortable taking your shirt off for OPP.

I know a student here and got a lot of information about the interview (she is a 3rd year so she gave me her experience and the experience of her 1st-year friends, so I have the most current information). They had 2 interviewers per student, asked basic questions like why DO, why WCU, why medicine, an ethical question, where you want to practice, and whether or not you'd be comfortable taking your shirt off for OPP.

Thank you!

I find it hard to find the middle ground of not talking over people and not speaking up enough when its a group of interviewees. What you described seems pretty typical though. Thanks again.

I've never had a group interview but for a person like me I can imagine how awful it would be. Lol so hopefully there are no surprises.
Thank you!

I find it hard to find the middle ground of not talking over people and not speaking up enough when its a group of interviewees. What you described seems pretty typical though. Thanks again.

Commonly the interview is a 3 faculty to 1 interviewee. Everybody has Weir. The other two change as needed. I had Millette ( histo) and Dr Lovins. I had complete control over the interview. Trust me the interview is the easiest part of the whole process. Dress nice and dont lie and you will make it.

What time does the interview end? Wondering if I should just drive home right after the interview if it's not too late

Members don't see this ad :)
What time does the interview end? Wondering if I should just drive home right after the interview if it's not too late
It could be anywhere from early to late afternoon. The group of people interviewing that day discuss it amongst themselves to see who needs to go earlier. This is how it worked on my interview day, at least.

Commonly the interview is a 3 faculty to 1 interviewee. Everybody has Weir. The other two change as needed. I had Millette ( histo) and Dr Lovins. I had complete control over the interview. Trust me the interview is the easiest part of the whole process. Dress nice and dont lie and you will make it.

Thank you.

And thank you for your constant activity in this thread. You must have a large load as a student yourself and you taking the time to help others through the application process is much appreciated.

Edit: same for Jbuc

I just mailed in my secondary. have mediocre stats but good ecs. 26 mcat. 3.25 c gpa. 3.7 sgpa.

am I too late?

how long did you guys get an ii after submitting?

thanks

I just mailed in my secondary. have mediocre stats but good ecs. 26 mcat. 3.25 c gpa. 3.7 sgpa.

am I too late?

thanks

I think response time varies (mine was probably 3-4 weeks from sending my secondary in to getting an II).

Looking at last year's thread I don't think it's too late.

What's your residency? If gulf states I think your good. Even if not I'd say it's not too late.

yeah not gulf states. from the northeast.

yeah hopefully I get some love....really like this school!!

My application was submitted 7/31 and verified around the beginning of September, and I applied to 10 schools (one of them being William Carey.)

9 out of the 10 have all sent me secondary invites, but WC is mysteriously quiet. Should I take this as a sign? Even if WC screened applicants out, they would still e-mail the application saying so, right? Should I wait it out a few more days, or should I be proactive and e-mail their office about the status of my application?

My application was submitted 7/31 and verified around the beginning of September, and I applied to 10 schools (one of them being William Carey.)

9 out of the 10 have all sent me secondary invites, but WC is mysteriously quiet. Should I take this as a sign? Even if WC screened applicants out, they would still e-mail the application saying so, right? Should I wait it out a few more days, or should I be proactive and e-mail their office about the status of my application?
I don't think there's anything wrong with calling and just staying on top of it. I've called my schools a lot, and I've found that sometimes they've forgotten to keep my application moving forward just because they're bogged down by so many. Go ahead and call.

am I too late?

thanks
Not too late. January? That is running late for carey. Your cumulative GPA is hurting you there bud. I would look into an SMP and retaking that MCAT if this cycle doesn't pan out for you by January. Tulane has a few awesome programs.

Not too late. January? That is running late for carey. Your cumulative GPA is hurting you there bud. I would look into an SMP and retaking that MCAT if this cycle doesn't pan out for you by January. Tulane has a few awesome programs.

gpa is bogged down by a poor performance freshman year in non science classes.

after that my gpa was 3.5+ for rest of undergrad and 3.8 for postbac. if any of that makes a difference

gpa is bogged down by a poor performance freshman year in non science classes.

after that my gpa was 3.5+ for rest of undergrad and 3.8 for postbac. if any of that makes a difference
Not to me but hey I am not an adcom. All i am saying is that if you get no love an SMP is helpful at not only showing med school you can make it, it is preparatory for med school ( makes it easier) and improving an MCAT is always a plus. Just something to keep in your back pocket just in case.

Since I believe Tulane's SMP can be started in August or January would you personally recommend applying right now for the Jan start?

I'm on two wait-lists now and am debating between diy post-bacc and that SMP in case this cycle doesn't work out.

Since I believe Tulane's SMP can be started in August or January would you personally recommend applying right now for the Jan start?

I'm on two wait-lists now and am debating between diy post-bacc and that SMP in case this cycle doesn't work out.
The pharm program i did started in august. I would prep in Jan if you need it in August

I think I'd rather do a DIY post-back to repair some of my gpa rather than lose another year of not being enrolled in a med school. I know one year in the grand scheme of things is nothing but still.

I think I'd rather do a DIY post-back to repair some of my gpa rather than lose another year of not being enrolled in a med school. I know one year in the grand scheme of things is nothing but still.
You could do that but that would be like trying to swim down a river against the current. An SMP is like encountering a boat on this river a figuring out how the oars work so you can get down that river. Post Baccs keep you in the undergrad system so that every A you get is washed out compared your whole history. This is why your GPA barely moves even when you take a huge load. Trust me I tryed this approach it doesnt work. You also dont get to do thing on the graduate level. SMP generates a brand new GPA graduate GPA graded on a harder scale and at some program is side by side with med students.
This is all i have to say on this subject.

I see your point. I was planning on DIY post-bacc over the winter and updating schools in order to move off of the wait-list however. I did the math and re-taking 13 hours and getting a 4.0 overall would raise my GPA .2-.25 points. And then if this cycle didn't work out do a SMP in 2016.

As always thank you for the advice.

Did anyone get a "we received your primary application" email? I submitted my AACOMAS app to them on 8-16 and haven't heard a peep. I can't find that much info about their application process on their website.

Does anyone know how strict they are with letters? My school doesn't have the med committee option. I'm pretty much a non-trad applicant and I only obtained one science letter because for many schools, I hear that non-trads may get from recent employer, etc.

Did anyone get a "we received your primary application" email? I submitted my AACOMAS app to them on 8-16 and haven't heard a peep. I can't find that much info about their application process on their website.
Honestly, I would call. Lol I've been calling my schools and finding that sometimes they just forget to send this stuff out, because they have so many to get through. Obviously don't bug them, but it's ok to call every couple of months if you haven't heard anything.

I'll be turning down my interview here, I hope it goes to someone else here!

I received a secondary today. I just submitted to them 3 days ago, I read that this secondary was not automated, but can someone confirm that?

I received a secondary today. I just submitted to them 3 days ago, I read that this secondary was not automated, but can someone confirm that?
That is correct. They will mail a receipt to you once they've received it.

Same here

They take a long time to send out secondaries because they're meticulous in their selection. Even if you don't hear anything back for a month or so, you can rest assured that receiving a secondary is a great sign that you'll get an interview. If you get an interview, chances of getting admitted is high, too. It took them about 2.5 months to send out my secondary invite last year, but I was part of the second interview class and accepted unofficially by the middle of October. Anyone reading this, please feel free to message me and I'll see if I can help you!

Reactions: 1 users
They take a long time to send out secondaries because they're meticulous in their selection. Even if you don't hear anything back for a month or so, you can rest assured that receiving a secondary is a great sign that you'll get an interview. If you get an interview, chances of getting admitted is high, too. It took them about 2.5 months to send out my secondary invite last year, but I was part of the second interview class and accepted unofficially by the middle of October. Anyone reading this, please feel free to message me and I'll see if I can help you!

What did you use to fill out your secondary? I wanna do it on the computer, but the fields get messed up sometimes and I don't want it to look tacks. Also, do we just attach another piece of paper if we have more jobs/experiences than they give us space for? I know it says to attach another piece of paper, but how should I go about this so it looks as professional as possible? Thank you, very much.

How long does it take for the adcom to get back with an II invite, post secondary submission ? A rough estimate ? Thanks.

How long does it take for the adcom to get back with an II invite, post secondary submission ? A rough estimate ? Thanks.
Well, it depends on how long the mail takes to receive, but it's typically a fast turnaround if they like your application. So, I would estimate no more than two weeks. This is completely subject to change, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Not even a secondary yet :( why WCU? Does anyone know if they have a strong bias?

For me, they haven't even sent an e-mail stating that they've received my AACOMAS application, of which I submitted / paid for 7/31, and was verified around the start of September. I sent an e-mail on 9/17 asking them about this, but I haven't received a reply yet - should I e-mail them again?

For me, they haven't even sent an e-mail stating that they've received my AACOMAS application, of which I submitted / paid for 7/31, and was verified around the start of September. I sent an e-mail on 9/17 asking them about this, but I haven't received a reply yet - should I e-mail them again?
I would wait until sometime this week and then call to ask them. Sometimes people forget to respond to emails; myself being one of them!

how long after sending the secondary in did u guys receive the receipt in the mail? im afraid my secondary maybe got lost in the mail? I sent it to the school a week ago

how long after sending the secondary in did u guys receive the receipt in the mail? im afraid my secondary maybe got lost in the mail? I sent it to the school a week ago

I never got a receipt in the mail :shrug:.

Strong bias toward Gulf South residents and those who want to go into primary care. I interviewed there and that's what they look for.
This bias towards those that want to go into primary care? I think you mistyped. The bias is in favor of those that have interest in primary care. It is also wise to have interest in other specialties too. Be broad in interest yet focused and be able to express this. In otherwords dont lie about a primary care interest but be open to the idea. Afterall it is the platform of all medicine.

This bias towards those that want to go into primary care? I think you mistyped. The bias is in favor of those that have interest in primary care. It is also wise to have interest in other specialties too. Be broad in interest yet focused and be able to express this. In otherwords dont lie about a primary care interest but be open to the idea. Afterall it is the platform of all medicine.
Lol "want to go into primary care" seems the same to me as "interest." I don't think it really matters. I don't want to go into primary care but I found a way to relate my specialty to primary care. They just want to know you're dedicated to helping everyone in every way possible through whatever specialty you choose. No one said to lie...but their interview packet itself says strong preference will be given to those who are primary care-minded.

Lol "want to go into primary care" seems the same to me as "interest." I don't think it really matters. I don't want to go into primary care but I found a way to relate my specialty to primary care. They just want to know you're dedicated to helping everyone in every way possible through whatever specialty you choose. No one said to lie...but their interview packet itself says strong preference will be given to those who are primary care-minded.

Key word is minded. I see this commonly confused among applicants to mean that if you have not shadowed a family doc and/or want to match peds, IM, or family dont bother to apply. They dont care what kind of doctor you want to be went you grow up and they expect you to have broad interest and to be able to express them. Primary care minded means they want to see that you CAN and WILL ( notice not want) be able to see and apply your interest through a primary care model. All basic medical school is taught from the perspective of a family care doc.
So if you like me only shadowed a Hem/Onc doc and worked as a scribe in the ED you can still get in.

Does WCU lump EM in primary care? When I interviewed at ACOM they did but didn't know if it was widely viewed as "primary care". From four years in the ER and two years in family medicine I can say there is quite a similarity but I'm just curious how this program viewed this