2010-2011 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Have you previously applied for admission to The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine?
Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 50 words)

Have you, previous to this application year, applied for admission to any medical school other than Penn State College of Medicine?
Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and (if not indicated in 1b above) explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 50 words)

If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation to medical school. (Maximum 50 words)

Explain the negative aspects of medicine that you considered in making this career decision. (Maximum 50 words)

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 50 words)

Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 50 words)

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I hate how they ask the same question as on AMCAS. On the one hand, it has to be new information... but on the other hand, it's the same fuking question...

I hate how they ask the same question as on AMCAS. On the one hand, it has to be new information... but on the other hand, it's the same fuking question...

:( ...

I'm still waiting for this one .. would you mind posting the question(s)?

Members don't see this ad :)
:( ...

I'm still waiting for this one .. would you mind posting the question(s)?

There aren't any questions - but they tell you to select three activities from AMCAS list, and describe why each was important in 1000 characters. I just copied and pasted the same descriptions as on AMCAS.

There aren't any questions - but they tell you to select three activities from AMCAS list, and describe why each was important in 1000 characters. I just copied and pasted the same descriptions as on AMCAS.

Do you mean UPenn? Or does Penn State have the same secondary prompt as UPenn this year? I'm still waiting too.

Haha something sounds weird..unless Penn has a funky way of sending out the secondaries..Mind posting the questions then?

You sure you're not mixing it up with UPenn's? Also, duplicating your descriptions seems like a poor effort.

Here's PSU's prompts from *last* year, I haven't received this year's secondary (yet, fingers crossed) but just to give us an idea of what it might be like:

1. Explain the negative aspects of medicine that you considered in making this career decision. (50 word limit)

2. Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (50 word limit)

3. Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (50 word limit)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL - my mistake... it said PennMed - so i thought it meant penn state medicine - idiot!!

Anyone have any idea when PSU is going to release their secondary? I presume they haven't yet since it's so quiet here...

Anyone have any idea when PSU is going to release their secondary? I presume they haven't yet since it's so quiet here...

It came out around July 25th last year so I am guessing we still have about a week before this one comes out

I smell something fishy...
Hold on i smell that too. I have not heard from them either and been verified for a month now. I thought the secondaries were not out yet ummmm their process must be wack

This really sucks! I only have like 4 secondaries left, but they just don't come in!

Any clue when it should come in?

So no secondaries until August this year it looks like?

Does anyone know how competitive it is to get into the MD/PhD program at Penn State? I am currently applying

Does anyone know if you can be involved in an research during medical school at Penn? A few other schools I have noticed have research tracks or opportunities to be involved in research during the summer between freshman and sophomore year - does Penn have anything like that?

Does anyone know if you can be involved in an research during medical school at Penn? A few other schools I have noticed have research tracks or opportunities to be involved in research during the summer between freshman and sophomore year - does Penn have anything like that?
I'm not sure about either UPenn nor Penn State... please don't take offense if you already know this but in case you're not aware, Penn usually refers to UPenn. I just would rather have you know that now instead of calling one the wrong thing to an adcom.

Haha, that would be bad. Don't say 'Penn', it's 'penn state'. 'Penn' = University of Pennsylvania.

Haha, that would be bad. Don't say 'Penn', it's 'penn state'. 'Penn' = University of Pennsylvania.

lol i was thinkin the same thing. might wanna not do that on the secondary essays...

Actually Penn State has a mandatory research project.

"Penn State College of Medicine requires that course work in the areas below be accomplished by the end of the calendar year prior to matriculation."

Does this mean we have to complete all pre-reqs by the Fall of 2010?

.Secondary Received :)..

.1. Explain the negative aspects of medicine that you considered in making this career decision.. (Maximum 50 words). .
.2. Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee?. (Maximum 50 words). .
.3. Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine.. (Maximum 50 words)..

.Have you previously applied for admission to The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine?.. Please indicate the entering first-year class year(s) to which you applied, and explain how your qualifications have changed since your previous application. (No more than 50 words)..(reapps only) .

"Penn State College of Medicine requires that course work in the areas below be accomplished by the end of the calendar year prior to matriculation."

Thats what I gathered from it. Seems odd though, you may wanna call if it affects you

I would read that as by December 31, 2010.

Received and submitted. Nice and simple, just how I like it.

From PSU's instructions:
"In either case, no additional letters are required, UNLESS:

You have multiple degrees. If this is true, you must submit one letter from each of the institutions that has granted you any of the following degrees:
Associate
Bachelor
Master
Doctorate

You have one year or more of graduate study or full time employment. If this is true, you are required to submit one additional letter of recommendation from a member of the graduate faculty or work supervisor."

I have a Pre-Health Committee Letter and one from my MA course...I spent a year working between my undergraduate and graduate degrees - do I really need another letter??? Time to scramble...

The nicest part of this application was not having to fill in letters of recommendation specifics..they could figure it out for themselves! Unlike the other schools haha...

Yay, just got this secondary! Do they screen though?

the last time I checked my electronic MSAR spreadsheet thingie, Penn State does not screen.

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 50 words)

thats just another way to ask if we're disadvantaged right?

I am wondering about this too. I mean everything is already stated in other parts of the application.

"If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation to medical school."

This is a dumb question... but if we are going to be a senior in college next year should we leave the question blank or should we just put something to the effect of "I will be a senior at ______ "

Last edited:

I am not sure if we have to answer this question if we're not disadvantaged/URM. Does anyone know? Or is this just a question where we have to pick a unique part of our application and explain it?

Not really, you can specify that in another part of your application. I'm putting down my GPA trend.

apparently they are rigid about it. I just called up and the lady said "if that's what it says, there are no exceptions"...seems like an incredibly dumb policy, especially if you have one prereq not done that you can't complete until spring 2011.

Anyone know how strict they are on their word limit? It doesn't seem to stop you if you go over 50 words...

Yea I don't know. I'd love to write a lot more, but I'm not sure if it'll actually save it at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.