2010-2011 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WNCmX3-Ym0[/YOUTUBE]
I think this is a useful video for people interested in New York Medical College. It provides a historical overview of the school.

Last edited:
Stan Goodspeed.... THE ROCK! hell yeah to that man. welcome to alkatraz (sp)

Members don't see this ad :)
Great video!

What are the types of questions typically asked on the secondaries?

anyone know when to expect the secondaries?

Someone said in another thread that New York medical schools don't screen prior to sending out secondary applications... is this true for NYMC as well?

Yes. All applicants get a secondary.

geez so where's this secondary? they seem to be taking their time, eh?

Looking at last year's thread it appears that the secondary may be coming this week... anyone got it yet?

Looking at last year's thread it appears that the secondary may be coming this week... anyone got it yet?

no, not yet! i've got 4 in my hands right now, though, so i'm definitely not in a rush to get any more right now!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this question... As I was reading last year's thread about NYMC's LOR requirments, I became a little concerned. My major is excercise science, but I took a ton of bio and chem classes. The major classes come from several departments: bio, chem, health science, nutrition, etc, and there are only a couple classes from actual exercise science professors. Consequently, I asked for letters from bio and chem teachers rather than the two exercise science teachers I had classes from because I thought they would have a better view of my science background. My school does the committee packet (assembles the letters but doesn't write a specific letter for me), so I understand that NYMC doesn't count that as a committee letter. Is my only option to hunt down my excercise physiology teacher and hope he remembers me, or would I waste my money if I submitted as a committee letter and hoped that they would accept it? Is there anything else I can do? Sorry for the novel...

you should probably email or call the admissions office. sounds like a rather individual scenario

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this question... As I was reading last year's thread about NYMC's LOR requirments, I became a little concerned. My major is excercise science, but I took a ton of bio and chem classes. The major classes come from several departments: bio, chem, health science, nutrition, etc, and there are only a couple classes from actual exercise science professors. Consequently, I asked for letters from bio and chem teachers rather than the two exercise science teachers I had classes from because I thought they would have a better view of my science background. My school does the committee packet (assembles the letters but doesn't write a specific letter for me), so I understand that NYMC doesn't count that as a committee letter. Is my only option to hunt down my excercise physiology teacher and hope he remembers me, or would I waste my money if I submitted as a committee letter and hoped that they would accept it? Is there anything else I can do? Sorry for the novel...

wait ... why doesn't NYMC accept committee packets??? i have one too ...
last yr i applied here, with a committee packet. i didnt get interviewed or anything, but im pretty sure i was marked complete and then sat 'under review' for hte rest of the cycle. doesnt that mean they accepted my packet?

wait ... why doesn't NYMC accept committee packets??? i have one too ...
last yr i applied here, with a committee packet. i didnt get interviewed or anything, but im pretty sure i was marked complete and then sat 'under review' for hte rest of the cycle. doesnt that mean they accepted my packet?

He said because the committee doesn't write a letter to include with the packet it is not considered one, not that they dot accept them. Deep breaths ;)

So a few days ago, I was sitting on a bench in Manhattan on 94 street and Amsterdam Ave. and this lady next to me struck up a conversation with me about medical schools. I had gone to SUNY Downstate's information session and I had their folder in my hand. She told me how she used to work at SUNY Downstate as a Psychologist and now she works at New York Medical College. She went on to pretty much bash New York Medical College in all aspects and told me it was a terrible medical school and doesn't prepare the students well. I don't remember the specifics of what she said, but there's no way she would have had such a nasty opinion if there was not some truth to it. I would still go without a doubt if it was the only school I was accepted too. I'm not judging it myself, I just wanted to state the experience I had.

Just received my secondary. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Well I have started filling it out, but I have to say it is an unimpressive application service. I cannot even see the spaces to write nor is there enough room to write what I need to for letter writers. The instructions also do not give enough info on how to enter non academic letters. It says you can but does not say what to write under "course number" or "course name".

Got the secondary. Just asking questions about your LORs and what classes you took with them.

Will only let you write down one class you took with the professor.

Make it especially hard if you went to undergrad and grad at the same place -- cause I don't know if I should mark my PI as solely graduate (and only mention that he is mentoring my research... though he has also taught me a class as a graduate student). He also taught me as an undergraduate which makes me want to write down the class he taught me for the UG Science LOR.

Now waiting for them to respond to my email - will call tomorrow if I don't hear back.

Well I have started filling it out, but I have to say it is an unimpressive application service. I cannot even see the spaces to write nor is there enough room to write what I need to for letter writers. The instructions also do not give enough info on how to enter non academic letters. It says you can but does not say what to write under "course number" or "course name".
Agreed. I think you just put down N/A for course number and name, and 0 for course credit. I have a research mentor LOR who worked with me as I received independent research credit... I'm think I am just going to put all that information under it... even though he didn't teach me then or give me my final grade.

Got the secondary. Just asking questions about your LORs and what classes you took with them.

Will only let you write down one class you took with the professor.

Make it especially hard if you went to undergrad and grad at the same place -- cause I don't know if I should mark my PI as solely graduate (and only mention that he is mentoring my research... though he has also taught me a class as a graduate student). He also taught me as an undergraduate which makes me want to write down the class he taught me for the UG Science LOR.

Now waiting for them to respond to my email - will call tomorrow if I don't hear back.

I just submitted it with one class for each. Stupid set up. All of my letter writers I have taken at least 2 classes from, and two of them I took 3 classes. But now it looks like I don't know them as well as I do. Also entering my letter from a volunteer coordinator was a pain in the butt. I finally just put N/A for most of the fields and gave them her name and title and the hospital. Hope that is good enough. They really need to get a better application service.

I hear you, sometimes a little more screening would be nice.

Seriously...like..more screening beyond stats would be nice, especially at the UCs. Like sit down and read my app and "throw it out"...don't just lure me into false hope with a secondary only to reject me...which has yet to happen. haha.

Oh Well, we'll see when NYMC sends me the notification. Not a big deal since it's a simple app. I still have two others to work on today.

Seriously...like..more screening beyond stats would be nice, especially at the UCs.

I dont mean to stray this too off topic, but do the UCs screen beyond stats? I always wondered how a school like UCSD can send secondaries to 30-35% of applicants with only a gpa/mcat screen.

FYI for those us who are getting anxious about not receiving a secondary yet, I called NYMC and they said they're sending a batch out Thursday!

I believe receiving the secondary is supposed to be automatic because my AMCAS application was verified today and in a couple of hours, I got the secondary.

I dont mean to stray this too off topic, but do the UCs screen beyond stats? I always wondered how a school like UCSD can send secondaries to 30-35% of applicants with only a gpa/mcat screen.

I'm pretty sure they do multiple screens. The people who get "auto-secondaries" (secondary right away) usually have 3.8+/35+. It is my understanding that applicants who do not get the instant one are reviewed more in depth and then may or may not get one at a later time.

FYI for those us who are getting anxious about not receiving a secondary yet, I called NYMC and they said they're sending a batch out Thursday!

Yay :) Hope I get mine since it's super-easy apparently.

I believe receiving the secondary is supposed to be automatic because my AMCAS application was verified today and in a couple of hours, I got the secondary.

I don't think it is automatic... I have been AMCAS verified since 6/22. Secondaries just started going out today, so it's super-early and it's probably just random the order in which they are being sent out.

EDIT: I stand corrected (previous post), so you probably got one automatically if your stats are super-good. :) Congrats!

So a few days ago, I was sitting on a bench in Manhattan on 94 street and Amsterdam Ave. and this lady next to me struck up a conversation with me about medical schools. I had gone to SUNY Downstate's information session and I had their folder in my hand. She told me how she used to work at SUNY Downstate as a Psychologist and now she works at New York Medical College. She went on to pretty much bash New York Medical College in all aspects and told me it was a terrible medical school and doesn't prepare the students well. I don't remember the specifics of what she said, but there's no way she would have had such a nasty opinion if there was not some truth to it. I would still go without a doubt if it was the only school I was accepted too. I'm not judging it myself, I just wanted to state the experience I had.

I was reading last year's NYMC thread regarding the whole Touro fiasco and, at first, it definitely made me second-guess my decision to apply here; however, I've decided that NYMC still seems like a good school and hopefully I will come across as even more enthusiastic about NYMC on the supplemental now that I have conquered those doubts.

P.S. no secondary for me yet

I was reading last year's NYMC thread regarding the whole Touro fiasco and it definitely made me second-guess my decision to apply here; however, I've decided that NYMC still seems like a good school and hopefully I will come across as even more enthusiastic about NYMC on the supplemental now that I have conquered those doubts.

Their secondary doesn't give you a chance to come across as excited, it is an "enter your credit card info" secondary.

Yay :) Hope I get mine since it's super-easy apparently.

I don't think it is automatic... I have been AMCAS verified since 6/22. Secondaries just started going out today, so it's super-early and it's probably just random the order in which they are being sent out.

EDIT: I stand corrected (previous post), so you probably got one automatically if your stats are super-good. :) Congrats!

If you're referring to what I said, I was talking about the UC's. Everyone at NYMC gets a secondary, says so specifically on their website. Sorry for the confusion.

Secondary received and sent. I love ones like these.

Ah, damn it... I have to get a letter from a graduate teacher... of whom i havent taken a class from yet.

what do we put for "Credit Hours Earned" for the optional letter section if the letter is a clinical volunteering LOR (non-class), not a class prof. LOR?

what do we put for "Credit Hours Earned" for the optional letter section if the letter is a clinical volunteering LOR (non-class), not a class prof. LOR?

On another app that had this I put N/A. I haven't seen NYMC's yet so I'm not sure if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.