2010-2011 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

^Good Luck!

I can't wait to get all of the application stuff done...it seems so hectic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knows how Wayne State looks at repeated MCAT scores? eg. Do they use your best, most recent, or average score?

Thanks!

I'm 99.9% positive that they use the most recent score.

Yes. 30% of Wayne State students who applied last year matriculated. A larger percentage were accepted.

I'm definitely applying to Wayne. Both of my parents went there for med school (and met their first day of anatomy lab... aww) so I hope that helps this OOS girl a little!

anyone know how admission into their MD/MPH program works?

I'm definitely applying to Wayne. Both of my parents went there for med school (and met their first day of anatomy lab... aww) so I hope that helps this OOS girl a little!

I don't think they care. But, let's say for sake of argument that they did. Whatever kudos you get for having two WSUSOM parent alumni is going to be overshadowed by the fact that you're an OOS.

But, here's hoping I'm wrong . . . for your sake . . .

Anyone know what the average MCAT is for accepted applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really really really hoping for some good luck w. this school.

iv also heard rumors that wayne doesn't like really competitive applicants, cause they think they are using their school as a safety...is that true?? by competitive, I mean 4.0/40...

is this for real? even for in-state applicants? that would really suck.

is this for real? even for in-state applicants? that would really suck.

To me, this sounds like one of the numerous crazy ideas premeds come up with and spread around as if it's fact. All schools want highly competitive applicants.

To me, this sounds like one of the numerous crazy ideas premeds come up with and spread around as if it's fact. All schools want highly competitive applicants.

Not a crazy premed idea... I'm from MI and I know multiple people that have had the same experience at WS (example: one girl had a 37 MCAT and ~3.8/3.9 at UMich undergrad, MI resident, applied right after getting her BS, and got waitlisted). Now, competitive applicants are obviously a shoe-in if they express a high interest in the school, but it's not surprisingly that they deny/waitlist people that were "too competitive".

Also I think that a lot of in-state applicants hold their spots at Wayne while they wait to hear from UMich or are on the UMich waitlist so maybe that could be a contributing factor :)

I don't think they care. But, let's say for sake of argument that they did. Whatever kudos you get for having two WSUSOM parent alumni is going to be overshadowed by the fact that you're an OOS.

But, here's hoping I'm wrong . . . for your sake . . .

I don't think this is entirely true. I applied as an OOS legacy last cycle and was accepted. I was reasonably competitive, but definitely not a rock star. In fact, my interviewer told me that "Wayne really likes legacies." I wasn't accepted right away though; I was on the alternate list for a couple of decision rounds before being accepted.

I don't think this is entirely true. I applied as an OOS legacy last cycle and was accepted. I was reasonably competitive, but definitely not a rock star. In fact, my interviewer told me that "Wayne really likes legacies." I wasn't accepted right away though; I was on the alternate list for a couple of decision rounds before being accepted.

Agreed... although I'm in-state. I had a pretty weak application my first cycle (two years ago), and I'm pretty sure the only reason their dean met with me to go over my application was because my dad went there for med school. I don't see why else they would have cared about reviewing my app then lol :)

What are the required courses? I can't find that stuff anywhere on the site. I'm assuming it's like most American med schools (I'm Canadian) so the problem is I only have is I only have half a semester of organic chem with lab. I'm wondering if I can supplement that second semester with biochem (without labs), or envirochem (without labs). Who do I e-mail to ask about that?

Hi guys!

So, I have a quick question .. hoping someone here maybe able to give some insight. I'm a CA resident, 3.6cGPA/3.3sGPA, 32T MCAT .. I was going back and forth about whether to apply to Wayne. A friend who applied from NY two years ago strongly suggested it (he said it was his first interview), but I'd heard from others (plus off of those med schools spreadsheets) that they accept very few OOS and it may not be worth it.

I'm still waiting for AMCAS to verify my application (grr) and so I can still theoretically add Wayne. I'm applying to 35 other schools, and though I don't think I see any schools as "safeties," I feel my stats are similar to those for applicants here. Any suggestions/ideas on whether its worth it to add Wayne?

Thanks a lot :)

Hi guys!

So, I have a quick question .. hoping someone here maybe able to give some insight. I'm a CA resident, 3.6cGPA/3.3sGPA, 32T MCAT .. I was going back and forth about whether to apply to Wayne. A friend who applied from NY two years ago strongly suggested it (he said it was his first interview), but I'd heard from others (plus off of those med schools spreadsheets) that they accept very few OOS and it may not be worth it.

I'm still waiting for AMCAS to verify my application (grr) and so I can still theoretically add Wayne. I'm applying to 35 other schools, and though I don't think I see any schools as "safeties," I feel my stats are similar to those for applicants here. Any suggestions/ideas on whether its worth it to add Wayne?

Thanks a lot :)

I think you should def. apply. Your GPA and MCAT score are competitive. You have a problem with your sGPA, though...

http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/applying/statistics.asp

As you can see from the above statistics, Wayne State is extremely OOS friendly. They interview close to 1/5th of OOS applicants and admit 75% of OOS interviewees.

In any case, you should definitely apply. You have competitive numbers (except for sGPA) and anything can happen after you submit your secondary.

On a side not, be aware that OOS tuition at Wayne is killer...

Good luck :luck:

I think you should def. apply. Your GPA and MCAT score are competitive. You have a problem with your sGPA, though...

http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/applying/statistics.asp

As you can see from the above statistics, Wayne State is extremely OOS friendly. They interview close to 1/5th of OOS applicants and admit 75% of OOS interviewees.

In any case, you should definitely apply. You have competitive numbers (except for sGPA) and anything can happen after you submit your secondary.

On a side not, be aware that OOS tuition at Wayne is killer...

Good luck :luck:

Ahh thanks so much! My sGPA is definitely the weakest part of my application .. though I have a really strong upward trend my last 2 years, esp in my upper div sciences, plus (hopefully) solid ECs, so Im really hoping some of that will account for my stupid sGPA

And yeah, OOS tuition's going to be insane at so many of the schools I applied to .. but hopefully establishing instate residency eventually will be possible

Thanks again :)

no one received any secondarys yet?
any one know around what time they send them out?

Anyone receive this email yet:

"Thank you for your interest in Wayne State University School of Medicine. We have received your AMCAS application. We will begin reviewing applications for Secondary Application consideration beginning July 26. The review process takes from 1 to 4 weeks. You may submit letters of recommendation through AMCAS at any time. We will notify applicants from whom we are requesting a Secondary Application via e-mail. Thank you for your patience."

In previous years, I did not receive an email like this; the first email they sent was the secondary. Anyone else get this email?

Anyone receive this email yet:

"Thank you for your interest in Wayne State University School of Medicine. We have received your AMCAS application. We will begin reviewing applications for Secondary Application consideration beginning July 26. The review process takes from 1 to 4 weeks. You may submit letters of recommendation through AMCAS at any time. We will notify applicants from whom we are requesting a Secondary Application via e-mail. Thank you for your patience."

In previous years, I did not receive an email like this; the first email they sent was the secondary. Anyone else get this email?

Yep, I got the same thing.

Was everyone that got the email, already AMCAS verified??

Yeah, pretty sure you have to be AMCAS verified to receive the email.

This time last year kids had already received the secondary and submitted. Wonder if they got a lot more applicants this year...

This time last year kids had already received the secondary and submitted. Wonder if they got a lot more applicants this year...
In the email they sent us they wrote that they will not start considering secondary applications until July 26th -- i assume that means that aren't sending those screened in until then.

Hey, guys,

Do you know where I can sell my MCAT study materials???

1. MCAT Complete Study Package 6th edition (Study guides for Physics, Chemistry, Verbal Reasoning, Organic Chemistry, and Biology with more than thirty 30-minute practice exams)
Amazon Used Price: from $75

2. MCAT Audio Osmosis (audio lectures on 12 CDs - great for listening on the road)
Amazon Used Price: from $90, ExamKrackers Price: $199.95

3. 16 Mini-MCATs with answers and explanations
Amazon Used Price: from $26, ExamKrackers Price: $44.95

4. MCAT 1001 Questions in Physics
Amazon Used Price: from $13.98, ExamKrackers Price: $29.95

5. MCAT 1001 Questions in Organic Chemistry
Amazon Used Price: from $11.99, ExamKrackers Price: $29.95

6. MCAT 1001 Questions in Chemistry
Amazon Used Price: from $15.98, ExamKrackers Price: $29.95

BONUS: Kaplan 2007 MCAT Study Guide with full-length MCAT Exam and explanations FREE

Thanks!!!

Hey, guys,

Do you know where I can sell my MCAT study materials???

1. MCAT Complete Study Package 6th edition (Study guides for Physics, Chemistry, Verbal Reasoning, Organic Chemistry, and Biology with more than thirty 30-minute practice exams)
Amazon Used Price: from $75

2. MCAT Audio Osmosis (audio lectures on 12 CDs - great for listening on the road)
Amazon Used Price: from $90, ExamKrackers Price: $199.95

3. 16 Mini-MCATs with answers and explanations
Amazon Used Price: from $26, ExamKrackers Price: $44.95

4. MCAT 1001 Questions in Physics
Amazon Used Price: from $13.98, ExamKrackers Price: $29.95

5. MCAT 1001 Questions in Organic Chemistry
Amazon Used Price: from $11.99, ExamKrackers Price: $29.95

6. MCAT 1001 Questions in Chemistry
Amazon Used Price: from $15.98, ExamKrackers Price: $29.95

BONUS: Kaplan 2007 MCAT Study Guide with full-length MCAT Exam and explanations FREE

Thanks!!!

I'm pretty sure this is not the best thread to post this in... anyways, you could try selling them on eBay, I've had a lot of success selling old MCAT materials there for a decent price.

I'm pretty sure this is not the best thread to post this in... anyways, you could try selling them on eBay, I've had a lot of success selling old MCAT materials there for a decent price.

Thanks! I searched SDN trying to find a better thread and had no luck... ebay it is!

Hey guys,
I received an MCAT score of 26P: 7VR, 9BS, 10BS with a cGPA of 3.85 and sGPA of 3.83. Do you think it's worth for me to apply to Wayne State? I'm Canadian, btw.

Hey guys,
I received an MCAT score of 26P: 7VR, 9BS, 10BS with a cGPA of 3.85 and sGPA of 3.83. Do you think it's worth for me to apply to Wayne State? I'm Canadian, btw.

I'd try it. Your chances might be a little lower being Canadian, and having an MCAT below their average. But the thing is.. an average is an average.. which means that people with scores lower than the average do get admitted as well :)

Yeah I got that too...Wayne is my #1, Just anxious I guess, haha. I don't know if you guys saw this a while back, but my buddy is a First Year at Wayne, they did this.

http://www.woostercollective.com/2009/11/the_detroit_medical_art_project.html
that is awesome, thanks for sharing! i can't wait to see it and possibly contribute to some street art myself. love it.

I'd try it. Your chances might be a little lower being Canadian, and having an MCAT below their average. But the thing is.. an average is an average.. which means that people with scores lower than the average do get admitted as well :)
agreed.. you still have a chance if you did a lot of good/unique extracurriculars and write good essays. but i dont think i've heard of anyone getting in with less than a 27. still, lots of people with 27s have gotten in so just try if you have stuff that sets you apart..

hey guys

for those of you who have received the secondary, could you post the Essay prompts??? (if there are any)

thanks guys! hope to interview with some of you! =]

hey guys

for those of you who have received the secondary, could you post the Essay prompts??? (if there are any)

They just started reviewing primaries yesterday so be on the look-out over the next couple days for secondaries!

hey guys

Look at last year's thread; they haven't changed in the past two years so I'd wager they are still the same this year.

I completely agree. I just went through the cycle last year and am matriculating at Cincinnati, but I am a Michigan resident and went to UMich. It's crazy to look at this thread and see how it's all going for you guys, and I just have to say it's prolly gonna be a long ride, but if you are still in school, the time will fly and it will be March before you know it.

My scores were above Wayne's average (33 MCAT) and I was waitlisted in December. I am still on the waitlist and it looks like I wont be getting in here. I was lucky enough to get in somewhere else, but I don't think veterans of this process can stress enough how you can't predict what the adcom's will do. When the waitlist started to move early this summer (May 15th), plenty of people (including Canadians) were getting accepted with sub-30 MCAT's, and I sat there with a 33. I am almost positive this is because I had a bad interview.

Honestly, I was not much of a fan of the Wayne interview process (one interviewer for 60 minutes, ALL generic questions, really not interesting) but it makes a big difference to them. Your scores (and essays...) will get you the interview, and if you get that, then your interview will most likely determine your acceptance/wait list/reject status (with still some slight consideration of your scores and transcripts of course).

If I can give you 2 big tips for the Wayne interview I would say:

1. STRESS why you want to go to Wayne and why you and Wayne are a good fit
2. Be ready to talk about your interest/experiences in the community (especially underrepresented minority groups)

For number 1, as people have said in this thread before, Wayne wants applicant that want to go to their school, not just a bunch of highly qualified 35+ MCATs, 3.8+ GPAs applicants. And for number 2, you will be living in and working with this type of community so they want you to be ready to/interested in spending time and working there.

Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

secondary :) different than last years though. ugh.

Question I

Describe the person or experience that greatly influenced your developing into the person you are today. Be specific in your explanation of the individual's/experience's impact on you.

Question II (Choose one of the questions to answer)

A. You have completed medical school and residency training and are ready to begin your clinical practice. What challenges, problematic issues and "downsides" would you anticipate having to consider and resolve as you establish goals for your practice that are congruent with your personal values and self image?
B. It is certain that in the next ten years there will be radical changes in the health care delivery system as we know it today. How do you perceive yourself functioning in this evolving health care environment?

Question III (only reapplicants must answer this question)
What academic, employment, volunteer experiences have you been engaged in since your last application to medical school? How does your current application differ from your previous application?

Question IV (only applicants with an institutional action must answer this question)

Fully describe the circumstances that resulted in the disciplinary institutional action citation noted on your AMCAS application. What "lasting" lessons have you learned from the experience?

Question V (MD/MPH applicants must answer this question)

Please explain your specific interest in Public Health. Include any relevant experiences and/or education.

EDIT: Apologies to anyone who already started working on last years essay questions (I did too haha), I guess I jinxed it:

Look at last year's thread; they haven't changed in the past two years so I'd wager they are still the same this year.

:D

This may be a stupid question, but, for the picture, I got a passport pic taken at CVS but they only gave me two copies. Chances are, I'm going to need more than 2 of these tangible pictures (Loyola, Umich interview, wayne, maybe more?) so does the photo need to be glossy, etc. or can I just scan the picture that I've taken and print it out on a 8.5x11? Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, I didn't do a huge search for it. I guess I can just call them and ask if nobody knows.

Ugh, Question I and II are not something I want to write. I almost hope not to pass the screen now. but seriously ughhhhhhhhhhh

ap594 - I don't think it matters but if you are worried, I would call and ask.

Ugh, Question I and II are not something I want to write. I almost hope not to pass the screen now. but seriously ughhhhhhhhhhh

ap594 - I don't think it matters but if you are worried, I would call and ask.

OK I called just to be sure; they said it wasn't a problem, which is much easier than having more of that photo printed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.