2012-2013 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

This should be fairly easy if no one else is applying here :p

Actually, notwithstanding your irony/humor, it is perhaps the largest class in America and all must effectively come only from Ga., but then it is the only public medical school in Ga. Florida, e.g., now has 5 such public schools serving twice the population. The matriculant MCAT average is a modest 30.3 (80th percentile), but the Match Lists look pretty decent, so hard work, good grades, AOA, research, etc., can get you noticed.

The true cost has been sneaking up relative to the private schools if you look hard at it, and financial help beyond borrowing is limited. The Athens campus means an attractive option for some, about 20%. Quite a lot get in off the WL, perhaps 70-100 per MCG in a class of 230. There you go-- MCG summarized in 2 paragraphs. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you lodestar for the quick summary!

I was totally kidding with the previous comment. As an instate applicant I would be thrilled to go here. I look forward to you commenting throughout the application cycle.

My application is in! Sounds like it might be tricky to get in in as an OOS applicant though... fingers crossed!

Any idea when secondaries will be sent out? Also, do they have to receive you letters before they will send you secondaries?

My application is in! Sounds like it might be tricky to get in in as an OOS applicant though... fingers crossed!

I'd say so. Fellow OOS resident here, but I went to UGA for undergrad. They can't take more than 5% out of state, and according to the dean of the Athens campus, it's normally less than that.

Anyone have any info on number acceptances per undergrad school? Like UGA, GT, emory, etc?

Anyone get the secondary yet? If so, can someone add the questions on here please.

Anyone get the secondary yet? If so, can someone add the questions on here please.

Jut got mine yesterday. Questions are the same as last year's:

9. The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG School of Medicine, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

10. Please describe the geographical setting in which you think you would most like to practice following medical training. Include the following information if known: The region of the country, the name of the state, the region of the state and the name of the town and county.

11. If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information not previously included in your AMCAS application or this supplement that you feel the admission committee should consider when evaluating your application.

So, I got the secondary as well. Any idea on the character/word limit? The box seems to not even have a limit. Without a limit to go by, how do you judge how much to write?

Thanks

Jut got mine yesterday. Questions are the same as last year's:

9. The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG School of Medicine, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

10. Please describe the geographical setting in which you think you would most like to practice following medical training. Include the following information if known: The region of the country, the name of the state, the region of the state and the name of the town and county.

11. If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information not previously included in your AMCAS application or this supplement that you feel the admission committee should consider when evaluating your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say so. Fellow OOS resident here, but I went to UGA for undergrad. They can't take more than 5% out of state, and according to the dean of the Athens campus, it's normally less than that.

Honestly, in recent years pretty much only the MD/PhD candidates are accepted OOS by MCG. It is unlikely that your going to UGA undergrad would matter. Only a few state schools in God's Country really look seriously (UNC, fast-rising UCF) at OOS candidates-- but they will gladly scarf up your application fees. Besides your own state school(s), it is best to consider private schools...some can be more affordable net even than an in-state public school. MCG has really increased total costs in recent years relative to the private school options.

So when filling out the secondary, the section for Letters of Reference only gives you the option to add 3 letter writers: The Pre-Medcial Advisor / Chairmen and then the 2 Personal References. What if we have a total of 4 letters? How do we add that last letter writer in on the secondary?

So when filling out the secondary, the section for Letters of Reference only gives you the option to add 3 letter writers: The Pre-Medcial Advisor / Chairmen and then the 2 Personal References. What if we have a total of 4 letters? How do we add that last letter writer in on the secondary?

Just fill out the two for the required 3 minimum. They are fully aware that people may submit up to the 7 accepted letters. Be sure that one of those two names listed is your clinical recommendation.

Originally Posted by spacetomatoes

According to the MSAR they only interviewed 25 out of 1075 OOS applicants, or about 2%. So unless your stats are significantly above their average accepted stats, then yeah it's gonna be a long shot.

I recieved a secondary application (OOS aplicant, reg MD), but every time I try to upload a document or the picture it goes blank as it maybe uploaded it, but it doesnt show anywhere if the application if it was succesfull....:confused: is this happening to anybody else?

Can anyone give an idea on how to write this essay?? Can I make it similar to m Personal statement?
I wrote all my personal detailes in my first Personal statement. What more do you think I should write?

-
I recieved a secondary application (OOS aplicant, reg MD), but every time I try to upload a document or the picture it goes blank as it maybe uploaded it, but it doesnt show anywhere if the application if it was succesfull....:confused: is this happening to anybody else?

-Nevermind!!! I just switched from internet explorer to firefox and it worked! (just in case anyone else has the same issue)

Last edited:
Can anyone give an idea on how to write this essay?? Can I make it similar to m Personal statement?
I wrote all my personal detailes in my first Personal statement. What more do you think I should write?

Try to develop an idea from your Personal statement into detail (maybe something challenging in your life that sets you apart from everyone else), Im sure there probably something you wanted to talk about but didnt have enough space!

Good luck!

I received my secondary app last Friday I believed. My MCAT is around the corner so haven't had the chance to really look at it.

Quick questions:

1) Do MCG send out secondary to all applicants? or do they prioritize who first?

2) I have already submitted all my LOR to AMCAS, and I selected a total of 6 letters to MCG. So now, how would I indicate this?

Thanks!

-

-Nevermind!!! I just switched from internet explorer to firefox and it worked! (just in case anyone else has the same issue)

hi, im an oos resident too, what documents did you submit? im confused about what to submit.

I received my secondary app last Friday I believed. My MCAT is around the corner so haven't had the chance to really look at it.

Quick questions:

1) Do MCG send out secondary to all applicants? or do they prioritize who first?

2) I have already submitted all my LOR to AMCAS, and I selected a total of 6 letters to MCG. So now, how would I indicate this?

Thanks!

1) They only screen OOS applicants. All IS applicants get a secondary just about right after they get your AMCAS.

2) I put down the committee letter and listed two of my recs (both of which came with the committee packet), making sure one of them was the physician on. I'm guessing they get all your recs you send to AMCAS anyway.

Honestly, in recent years pretty much only the MD/PhD candidates are accepted OOS by MCG. It is unlikely that your going to UGA undergrad would matter. Only a few state schools in God's Country really look seriously (UNC, fast-rising UCF) at OOS candidates-- but they will gladly scarf up your application fees. Besides your own state school(s), it is best to consider private schools...some can be more affordable net even than an in-state public school. MCG has really increased total costs in recent years relative to the private school options.

Amen!

At the moment, I only have about 2 paragraphs for the 1st question and 1 for the 2nd. Just write about some experience that you've had that sets you apart from everybody else. That could mean working in Grady with underserved patients, counseling in a camp for mentally handicapped kids, etc. For the second question, say that you'd like to stay in Lee County, Cook County, etc. if you're from south Georgia. They like rural applicants that want to stay in a rural area.

When is the deadline for secondary apps? The electronic and documents? The email says within 2 weeks? is that everything?

Thanks.

hi, im an oos resident too, what documents did you submit? im confused about what to submit.

I called and they say you can submit as many documents as you want, basically they just want to see that you are a resident or citizen.

This is the list, they say to submit at least ONE:

A Certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. (A photocopy is not acceptable – upload in COLOR).
A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
A current U.S. Passport*. (photocopy must include the photo page and the following page)
A current Driver's License* issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
A current Driver's License* issued by the State of Alabama after August 1, 2000.
A current ID* issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
A current military ID. (service member only, not dependent)
A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551)

Hope this helps!

When is the deadline for secondary apps? The electronic and documents? The email says within 2 weeks? is that everything?

Thanks.

Yeah, just try to have everything in within 2 weeks of recieving it!

Sorry if this is a dumb post but does anyone know what to put in the required courses section for AP credits? Because for the school section it says "college taken" ...but I took it in high school so I don't know what to put :( ?!!!

Sorry if this is a dumb post but does anyone know what to put in the required courses section for AP credits? Because for the school section it says "college taken" ...but I took it in high school so I don't know what to put :( ?!!!

Put the college that awarded you the AP credit (ie which college transcript it shows up on).

Also, none of my references are showing up on the app status page, even though I submitted my app on Sunday (7/1) and my Committee packet letter has already been received by AMCAS. Anyone else having this problem?

Put the college that awarded you the AP credit (ie which college transcript it shows up on).

Also, none of my references are showing up on the app status page, even though I submitted my app on Sunday (7/1) and my Committee packet letter has already been received by AMCAS. Anyone else having this problem?

I submitted mine on Sunday as well and none of mine are showing up either. It just says "References" and there is a blank spot under it.

One of the things asked in the secondary is what the applicant will be doing over the course of the next year. I'm reluctant to give a definitive answer because in my case that could range from getting a job to enrolling in a masters program that has already accepted me. If the masters program happens to be a 2 year commitment, would that jeopardize my chances of getting into medical school? Or am I allowed to apply while in school with the intention of either deferral or withdrawing from the current program? I'd really appreciate some advice.

One of the things asked in the secondary is what the applicant will be doing over the course of the next year. I'm reluctant to give a definitive answer because in my case that could range from getting a job to enrolling in a masters program that has already accepted me. If the masters program happens to be a 2 year commitment, would that jeopardize my chances of getting into medical school? Or am I allowed to apply while in school with the intention of either deferral or withdrawing from the current program? I'd really appreciate some advice.

Im not sure if this is what your asking, but I called MCG while enrolled in a graduate program with the intention of withdrawing and applying and was told by admissions that I must complete the graduate program in which I was enrolled, prior to matriculation. So Im guessing, if you do indeed enter a masters with a 2 year commitment, you may have a hard time getting into MCG if accepted this cycle.

Im not sure if this is what your asking, but I called MCG while enrolled in a graduate program with the intention of withdrawing and applying and was told by admissions that I must complete the graduate program in which I was enrolled, prior to matriculation. So Im guessing, if you do indeed enter a masters with a 2 year commitment, you may have a hard time getting into MCG if accepted this cycle.

I think they'd expect you to defer your acceptance until you complete the masters.

I think they'd expect you to defer your acceptance until you complete the masters.

That's IF you got in. Based on RomaLeos17's experience, a person in the middle of their masters would not be accepted anyways so the consideration of differing would not come up. Although, if you have not committed to a masters program than there would be no need to mention it unless you have to.

Yeah, I actually called them myself and they said that they don't accept students who wouldn't be able to enroll that fall. I'm not sure if all medical schools function this way, though. The consultant at MCG told me that they do this as a courtesy to other graduate programs - they don't want students to withdraw from another school to enroll there, which makes sense.

So how many people so far have decided to apply EDP?? The trend keeps going down and down each year, so I was just curious.

I just have a quick question. I am in process of applying to AmeriCorps programs that starts on August or September, but acceptance rates of AmeriCorps is arond 25%. Should I list my place of of employment in 2012-2013 as AmeriCorps and notify them if I do not get accepted or just leave it blank? My two weeks deadline is this Friday lol :xf:

I just have a quick question. I am in process of applying to AmeriCorps programs that starts on August or September, but acceptance rates of AmeriCorps is arond 25%. Should I list my place of of employment in 2012-2013 as AmeriCorps and notify them if I do not get accepted or just leave it blank? My two weeks deadline is this Friday lol :xf:
leave it blank

Has anyone submitted their secondary yet? I just clicked "Submit Secondary" and... pretty much nothing happened. It reloaded to the same page, but the button to push is gone, and there's now a little green check next to the Submit Application line at the top. No other confirmation. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Has anyone submitted their secondary yet? I just clicked "Submit Secondary" and... pretty much nothing happened. It reloaded to the same page, but the button to push is gone, and there's now a little green check next to the Submit Application line at the top. No other confirmation. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Yeah that sounds right. Go to App Status tab and look at what it says under Application Status. That should give you a better confirmation.

Just got invited for an EDP interview! :D

I'll PM you. Anyone else get one? And if so what date are you scheduled for?

Last edited:
Got an edp invite! Scheduled for aug 16. 32 mcat, 3.7 gpa

Last edited:
Hey everyone.
Does anyone know how to update your secondary application of you want to add something? I'd like to add some summer grades but can't figure out how? thanks so much

I'm pretty sure you cant edit it once you submit it. But you can send them your updated transcript to put in your file.

Hey everyone.
Does anyone know how to update your secondary application of you want to add something? I'd like to add some summer grades but can't figure out how? thanks so much
did you get an EDP invite henrythe8th?

Status
Not open for further replies.