2012-2013 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone.
Does anyone know how to update your secondary application of you want to add something? I'd like to add some summer grades but can't figure out how? thanks so much

You can just email them the grades and they will update your file.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an EDP invite!
When did you submit your secondaries? I submitted on the 16th and was hoping I would have heard something by now. Does anybody know when they meet?

I've heard that they meet on Thursday's but not positive on that. Here's my timeline for reference.

Submitted amcas: 6/26/12
AMCAS verified: 6/27/12
Received mcg secondary: 6/29/12
Submitted mcg secondary: 7/6/12
LORs received: 7/10/12
Interview invite: 7/18/12
Interview date: 8/16/12

My timeline -

Submitted amcas: 6/23/12
AMCAS verified: 6/25/12
Submitted mcg secondary: 7/4/12
LORs received: 7/24/12
MCAT score posted: 7/24/12
Interview invite: 7/30/12
Interview date: 8/22/12

The dates I could choose to interview on were 8/20-8/28 (minus weekends).

My timeline -

Submitted amcas: 6/23/12
AMCAS verified: 6/25/12
Submitted mcg secondary: 7/4/12
LORs received: 7/24/12
MCAT score posted: 7/24/12
Interview invite: 7/30/12
Interview date: 8/22/12

The dates I could choose to interview on were 8/20-8/28 (minus weekends).
What were your stats DB90?!

When did you submit your secondaries? I submitted on the 16th and was hoping I would have heard something by now. Does anybody know when they meet?
What are your stats also Bims?

Ha! Another year and another thread. I'll be stalking this periodically.

Ha! Another year and another thread. I'll be stalking this periodically.
Fahimaz, sure glad to have you on here. Do you know if they are meeting on Thursdays? The interview invites don't seem to be following any kind of pattern

Fahimaz, sure glad to have you on here. Do you know if they are meeting on Thursdays? The interview invites don't seem to be following any kind of pattern

Interview invites don't come from the committee as a whole, they come from subcommittees that review applicants and vote either yes or no. 3/3 yes = interview. 2/3 yes = more review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently you guys are now applying to go to Georgia Regents University. Congratulations.

They haven't even voted yet.
You are correct. That was the recommendation and I jumped to conclusions, something I should not have done.

Board of Regents is meeting right now so the actual name should be revealed in a short amount of time.

edit: aaaand now it's officially Georgia Regents University

Last edited:
You are correct. That was the recommendation and I jumped to conclusions, something I should not have done.

Board of Regents is meeting right now so the actual name should be revealed in a short amount of time.

edit: aaaand now it's officially Georgia Regents University

The city of Augusta must be excited :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I called and they say you can submit as many documents as you want, basically they just want to see that you are a resident or citizen.

This is the list, they say to submit at least ONE:

A Certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. (A photocopy is not acceptable – upload in COLOR).
A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
A current U.S. Passport*. (photocopy must include the photo page and the following page)
A current Driver's License* issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
A current Driver's License* issued by the State of Alabama after August 1, 2000.
A current ID* issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
A current military ID. (service member only, not dependent)
A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551)

Hope this helps!
Sorry, I'm still a little confused...this section is for GA residents only, correct??? I'm OOS, so I wouldn't submit anything in that section??

The city of August must be excited :rolleyes:
I graduate from the school in May, I don't really see a problem with it lol, it's just a name. The people complaining and threatening to transfer just because of the name on a piece of paper are genuinely silly and overreacting.

I graduate from the school in May, I don't really see a problem with it lol, it's just a name. The people complaining and threatening to transfer just because of the name on a piece of paper are genuinely silly and overreacting.

Sorry, I do not think I can relate. I personally feel a school name should have some meaning, not to mention not cast your residents into rage and/or melancholy.

It's a good thing someone on the Board actually lives within 60 miles of the school.... oh wait

Sorry, I do not think I can relate. I personally feel a school name should have some meaning, not to mention not cast your residents into rage and/or melancholy.

It's a good thing someone on the Board actually lives within 60 miles of the school.... oh wait
Ah, understandable.

Last edited:
For RD applicants, does anyone know if we get a 'complete' email once we have everything we need in? I submitted my secondary around 7/24 (albeit a week later than the 2 week deadline), but I just got verified 8/3. I have everything else in (recommendations, required documents).

For RD applicants, does anyone know if we get a 'complete' email once we have everything we need in? I submitted my secondary around 7/24 (albeit a week later than the 2 week deadline), but I just got verified 8/3. I have everything else in (recommendations, required documents).

No.

Hey guys, so there usually seems to be a question that asks about whether there's anything you would like for the admissions committee to know in addition to your AMCAS app. I'm not sure what sort of information goes into this slot. Does anyone know? Any examples?

^ Usually you can put any special information that might set you apart. I got a research grant after submission of my AMCAS so I put that information down. Also for other schools that might not have secondary essays you could put down why you want to attend that specific medical school or what programs/research you are interested in at that school.

Any RD applicants here back yet? I submitted my secondary before I my AMCAS was even verified (which seemed a little weird) but i haven't heard anything from them.

Any RD applicants here back yet? I submitted my secondary before I my AMCAS was even verified (which seemed a little weird) but i haven't heard anything from them.

Nope, last year their first RD interview invites came in on 8/29. Then again, they also send out EDP invites about 2 weeks earlier this year than last year so hopefully they'll do the same for RD.

Here is my timeline

EDP

Submitted amcas: 7/27/12
AMCAS verified: 7/27/12
Received mcg secondary: 7/30/12
Submitted mcg secondary: 8/5/12
LORs received: 7/27/12
Interview invite: 8/9/12
Interview date: 8/23/12

Last edited:
Here is my timeline

Submitted amcas: 7/27/12
AMCAS verified: 7/27/12
Received mcg secondary: 7/30/12
Submitted mcg secondary: 8/5/12
LORs received: 7/27/12
Interview invite: 8/9/12
Interview date: 8/23/12

See ya on the 23rd!

Isn't tomorrow the first day of EDP interviews? If so, good luck and let us know how the interview process went :thumbup:

The class of 2016 had orientation two weeks ago (and just completed our first test this morning). Here are some statistics from the admissions office that were presented during orientation.

2384 total applications
1020 in state
618 interviews
230 accepted (class size is 230)

3.7 average cumulative GPA*
3.64 average science GPA
30.47 average MCAT
143/87 male/female
23 average age
44% self-reported as non-white

Biology was overwhelmingly the most common major (like 90 percent, but it was a graph and was only up for a second). They did not do a breakdown by undergraduate institution, other than to say that UGA is the most represented one. I have met a lot of people that went to Emory and a surprising number from Augusta State. I'm not sure I believe that 23 is the real average age, it is probably rounded down. Most people in the class have had at least a year away from college to, ahem, actually do something.

I know I would have loved to have seen this when I applied, hopefully it will ease your anxiety, but remember it's not just about your stats. Hang in there. MCG is very bad about communications. Unless there has been a drastic overhaul since last cycle, you will go months without hearing anything. Just when you have decided they must have lost your application, you will get an interview invitation. And just when you have given up all hope, you will get your acceptance email. It's like in Fight Club or the new Bat Man movie or something.

The class of 2016 had orientation two weeks ago (and just completed our first test this morning). Here are some statistics from the admissions office that were presented during orientation.

2384 total applications
1020 in state
618 interviews
230 accepted (class size is 230)

3.7 average cumulative GPA*
3.64 average science GPA
30.47 average MCAT
143/87 male/female
23 average age
44% self-reported as non-white

Biology was overwhelmingly the most common major (like 90 percent, but it was a graph and was only up for a second). They did not do a breakdown by undergraduate institution, other than to say that UGA is the most represented one. I have met a lot of people that went to Emory and a surprising number from Augusta State. I'm not sure I believe that 23 is the real average age, it is probably rounded down. Most people in the class have had at least a year away from college to, ahem, actually do something.

I know I would have loved to have seen this when I applied, hopefully it will ease your anxiety, but remember it's not just about your stats. Hang in there. MCG is very bad about communications. Unless there has been a drastic overhaul since last cycle, you will go months without hearing anything. Just when you have decided they must have lost your application, you will get an interview invitation. And just when you have given up all hope, you will get your acceptance email. It's like in Fight Club or the new Bat Man movie or something.

Thanks for the info! At the orientation, did they by any chance mention when RD interview invites would start going out this year?

Last edited:
Wow.....a couple of those stats surprise me a little. More from out of state applied than in state? Don't only a few spots go to "out of staters"? Maybe a lot of people have way more money than I do and just apply everywhere?

Wow.....a couple of those stats surprise me a little. More from out of state applied than in state? Don't only a few spots go to "out of staters"? Maybe a lot of people have way more money than I do and just apply everywhere?

MSAR reports 2052 applicants, 977 who are IS and 1075 OOS, so this is pretty much in line. Also, of the 568 interviews given MSAR says 543 are IS and 25 OOS. I'm assuming you're in-state, so you should be glad GA's only true state school (Mercer is essentially like a state school but without the low tuition) overwhelmingly favors its own people.

What I'm more concerned about is that MCG's student body has historically been comprised of mostly people from UGA (100-120 people in each class from what I hear), and much less from Emory and Tech, the other two big name schools in GA. UGA might be have a bigger student body that Emory or Tech which might lead to more applicants, but having an overwhelming majority from one school suggests not only in-state favoritism, but also preference toward a specific undergrad school.

I'll be honest here.....that's a big reason that I went to UGA. I believe a lot of people pursuing acceptance to med school at MCG transfer there from smaller in state schools (and I obviously don't mean Emory or Tech) to increase their chances. . Even back when my mom went to UGA, it was well known of their affiliation with MCG. I have always heard that one reason they take so many from UGA is that they are "aware" of the rigor of their "pre-med" program and can more accurately compare GPA's (again, I am not referring to Emory or Tech). Do you have any idea as to how many apply from Emory and Tech and what percentage get in?

I wonder if the high number of accepted from UGA is just a result of volume and not rigor. I don't think Emory and Tech produce as many pre-med graduates as UGA. Not that I'm dissing UGA or anything (UGA alumni here).

I wonder if the high number of accepted from UGA is just a result of volume and not rigor. I don't think Emory and Tech produce as many pre-med graduates as UGA. Not that I'm dissing UGA or anything (UGA alumni here).

That kind of makes sense. Emory is a private institution and attracts students from all over the country and world. So when their students graduate, they usually return to their home state or other places (hence not as many applying to MCG for medical school since it mostly accepts IS students). And though Tech is public, I'm guessing the majority of it's graduates are technology/math related than pre-medical related, so you wouldn't see as many applications from their either.

The only thing I might disagree with is the number of pre-med graduates Emory produces. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than UGA. But like I guessed, since a large portion of Emory students aren't IS, they just don't end up applying to MCG.

That kind of makes sense. Emory is a private institution and attracts students from all over the country and world. So when their students graduate, they usually return to their home state or other places (hence not as many applying to MCG for medical school since it mostly accepts IS students). And though Tech is public, I'm guessing the majority of it's graduates are technology/math related than pre-medical related, so you wouldn't see as many applications from their either.

The only thing I might disagree with is the number of pre-med graduates Emory produces. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than UGA. But like I guessed, since a large portion of Emory students aren't IS, they just don't end up applying to MCG.

To throw in some numbers, for the 2009 entering class Emory had 339 pre-meds applying (http://www.career.emory.edu/parents/pdf/Applicants_Emory_2009_Matrix.pdf). 17% of their undergrads are from GA (http://www.emory.edu/admission/admission/class_profile/index.html) so I'd estimate about 58 of their premeds being from GA, nearly all of which will apply to MCG since it's GA's only state school. In 2009, 15 of their applicants got into MCG (http://www.career.emory.edu/parents/pdf/Med_Stats_2009.pdf), leading to an acceptance rate of 26%. Now compare that to the MSAR, which says that 977 IS students applied, and 226 MATRICULATED (as opposed to accepted), so just the matriculation-to-applicants is 23%. Of course a lot more than 226 were accepted (maybe someone who has access to US News can look up the exact number/percentage), so the acceptance rate for all IS students could be closer to,say, 40-50%, much higher than the 26% from Emory.

In contrast, 404 premeds from UGA applied (https://www.aamc.org/download/161116/data/table2-7.pdf), and if the number that end up matriculating is 100-115 (25-28%) as it has been for past few years, then the number who are accepted will be much higher.

And btw I do go to Emory but am not too worried about this since my stats are above average for MCG. I'd imagine that some of my classmates with average stats may be at slight disadvantage though.

Not sure how much this makes a difference, but I'm willing to bet that the matriculant data from Emory is lower partly because several of those students accepted to MCG end up at other "more elite" medical schools across the country.

Well, regardless of the school percentage stats, I am elated (and relieved.....and a bit nervous) to have an interview next week. I know someone that had an interview last week and got a community interviewer as opposed to someone on staff at MCG. I never really thought about that angle before.... wondering if that is an advantage or disadvantage when it comes to influence with the committee and the voting process. Does anyone know if they just have 1 meeting for voting on all EDP's or is it weekly? I think his interview was last Thursday, which I think was the first day for EDP. If they vote on Thursday's (as I have heard they do) and voted after only one day of interviews, then I would think it would be a disadvantage to go first. But, what the heck do I know? This is such a nerve-racking process.

To throw in some numbers, for the 2009 entering class Emory had 339 pre-meds applying (http://www.career.emory.edu/parents/pdf/Applicants_Emory_2009_Matrix.pdf). 17% of their undergrads are from GA (http://www.emory.edu/admission/admission/class_profile/index.html) so I'd estimate about 58 of their premeds being from GA, nearly all of which will apply to MCG since it's GA's only state school. In 2009, 15 of their applicants got into MCG (http://www.career.emory.edu/parents/pdf/Med_Stats_2009.pdf), leading to an acceptance rate of 26%. Now compare that to the MSAR, which says that 977 IS students applied, and 226 MATRICULATED (as opposed to accepted), so just the matriculation-to-applicants is 23%. Of course a lot more than 226 were accepted (maybe someone who has access to US News can look up the exact number/percentage), so the acceptance rate for all IS students could be closer to,say, 40-50%, much higher than the 26% from Emory.

In contrast, 404 premeds from UGA applied (https://www.aamc.org/download/161116/data/table2-7.pdf), and if the number that end up matriculating is 100-115 (25-28%) as it has been for past few years, then the number who are accepted will be much higher.

And btw I do go to Emory but am not too worried about this since my stats are above average for MCG. I'd imagine that some of my classmates with average stats may be at slight disadvantage though.

Acceptance vs matriculation are two completely different things. I also think that you are reading too into these guesstimations that you are making. Medical school admissions is a lot more complicated than just pure numbers. Applicants that are well rounded and have good scores will end up getting multiple acceptances and will choose what is the best fit for them. For a lot of people from the state of Georgia, MCG has been that fit... unless you get a scholarship offer from a different institution.

At the end of the day MCG is accepting ~300 or more students to fill their class of 230. They are bound by policy to only accept ~10 from OOS applicants, most of which they have to offer some sort of scholarship to get them to come to Georgia.

It doesn't matter if you're from ASU, Ga State, Emory, UGA, Tech, Clemson, etc.. What matters is having personality, acting like a normal person, and having the grades+ MCAT to get looked at. We have a ton of Emory people in our class. I think they are the second highest number of students.

If Emory has 400 students applying to medical school I bet that 300 of those are "qualified" and a good 50% or more aren't even from the state. So that leaves a good 150 students that may be looked at by MCG, a quite a few of them will have offers from other schools and may decide to go there instead.

If you're interested in MCG be approachable, humble, well rounded, and have some good reason for wanting to attend MCG/GHSU/GRU/Azziz U or whatever we will end up calling ourselves.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, fahimaz. I think sometimes we all get so caught up in the stats......especially who's MCAT is better than who's....that the individuality factor is almost forgotten. It's helped ease my mind a bit about the interview.

Acceptance vs matriculation are two completely different things.

This is definitely true...some schools have material differences between their average ACCEPTED MCAT score and their average MATRICULATED MCAT score (see Class Profiles)-- this can vary by 1.5 points (34.7 vs 33.2 at BCM, e.g.). The reason is that the superstars can get accepted to many schools, but attend only 1, so those 40+ MCAT's get averaged in at a number of the better schools.

I also think that you are reading too into these guesstimations that you are making. Medical school admissions is a lot more complicated than just pure numbers. Applicants that are well rounded and have good scores will end up getting multiple acceptances and will choose what is the best fit for them. For a lot of people from the state of Georgia, MCG has been that fit... unless you get a scholarship offer from a different institution.

And your odds IS @ MCG are pretty decent with a 30/3.6:
http://www.georgiahealth.edu/medicine/admit/Fact%20sheet%202011.pdf

At the end of the day MCG is accepting ~300 or more students to fill their class of 230. They are bound by policy to only accept ~10 from OOS applicants, most of which they have to offer some sort of scholarship to get them to come to Georgia.

Indeed, the handful that MCG accepts OOS are pretty much MD/PhD's.

It doesn't matter if you're from ASU, Ga State, Emory, UGA, Tech, Clemson, etc.. What matters is having personality, acting like a normal person, and having the grades+ MCAT to get looked at. We have a ton of Emory people in our class. I think they are the second highest number of students.

That is because Emory focuses in premed-- always has, and is the 2nd most competitive entry college in the South behind Duke, now followed closely by GT, which however does not really focus on premed...and GT really does its premed students a disservice with its rigorous grading regimen (> 3.55 graduates Summa versus >3.9 @ UGA) that some medical schools are simply unaware of in the grade inflation era

If Emory has 400 students applying to medical school I bet that 300 of those are "qualified" and a good 50% or more aren't even from the state. So that leaves a good 150 students that may be looked at by MCG, a quite a few of them will have offers from other schools and may decide to go there instead.

Only 17% of Emory College students are from Ga.; their premeds do indeed generally fare well with their med school applications

If you're interested in MCG be approachable, humble, well rounded, and have some good reason for wanting to attend MCG/GHSU/GRU/Azziz U or whatever we will end up calling ourselves.

Agree-- no interviewer anywhere for anything wants to see overt cockiness-- a calm self-assurance is OK. Always come across as positive and genuinely interested. Have answers ready for those likely programmed questions; by all means, check out the historical questions asked at each school; have a couple of intelligent questions to ask. MCG actually asks candidates NOT to report back to SDN about their interviews.

How do you fill out the Required Course Schedule on the secondary if the lecture and lab were separate? Do I make them 2 separate courses? Thanks!

How do you fill out the Required Course Schedule on the secondary if the lecture and lab were separate? Do I make them 2 separate courses? Thanks!

Yep! That is exactly what you do.

Agree-- no interviewer anywhere for anything wants to see overt cockiness-- a calm self-assurance is OK. Always come across as positive and genuinely interested. Have answers ready for those likely programmed questions; by all means, check out the historical questions asked at each school; have a couple of intelligent questions to ask. MCG actually asks candidates NOT to report back to SDN about their interviews.

MCG didn't ask me not to report back to SDN and in my my year of helping out with admissions tour and lunch groups it was never mentioned. I don't think that SDN is a common topic with the admissions committee or during interviews. I also don't believe that our Director of Admissions or Dean of Admissions ever told a student to refrain from posting on SDN.

On a side note. UGA had over 600 pre-med applicants/year where I was at UGA. I understand that your "prodigy progeny" went to Ga Tech and that you are stoked about it, but there are plenty of very qualified applicants from all of the schools around the state of Georgia, and attending Emory or Ga Tech does not guarantee you a seat in medical school, much less the top quintile and an AOA nomination down the road.

How do you have so much insider information about MCG if you don't go here and your son just matriculated to medical school a few days ago?

Last edited:
No one mentioned a thing about SDN to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.