Jefferson or Temple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aint settling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there are some older threads on here comparing TUSM and JMC, but I just wanted to see if anyone can offer any further or "newer" advice or perspectives on picking between these two schools. I know they both offer great programs, but I am having trouble picking the better fit for me. Additionally, I see that TUSM is definitely on an upward swing and was recently ranked as the 2nd best medical school in Philly (behind UPenn of course) for the first time. I think it is fair to say Jeff was ahead of Temple for a while. Now they are practically equals, and Temple seems to be taking the lead in terms of formal rankings, growth, and progress.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I am in the same situation as you. However, I was accepted to Jefferson and Temple/St. Luke's. I have no idea which one to choose because both were excellent. I'm going to both second look days and then I'll see from there which one I like better.

Temple was AMAZING! I was so sad I was waitlisted. I'd choose Temple.

Disclaimer: I didn't interview/visit Jefferson.

Members don't see this ad :)
jefferson, jefferson, jefferson...............both great schools but location................omg..it's jefferson

So I know there are some older threads on here comparing TUSM and JMC, but I just wanted to see if anyone can offer any further or "newer" advice or perspectives on picking between these two schools. I know they both offer great programs, but I am having trouble picking the better fit for me. Additionally, I see that TUSM is definitely on an upward swing and was recently ranked as the 2nd best medical school in Philly (behind UPenn of course) for the first time. I think it is fair to say Jeff was ahead of Temple for a while. Now they are practically equals, and Temple seems to be taking the lead in terms of formal rankings, growth, and progress.
Thanks in advance!
FWIW, before I quit my hospital job to start school, I was told the same thing by several doctors at the hospital where I worked (most of them local grads, including Jeff).

Jeff was my first choice going into last cycle, and it was my first interview. When I left I was like, "It was nice... but is that really how much I'm supposed to love a school?" I also felt like I choked at my adcom interview and I think that definitely was the case since I got WLed there. I planned on fighting to be accepted off it but I interviewed at TUSM less than 2 weeks after I got their decision and I fell in love with it and the people here I got accepted about a month later and never made an ounce of effort to get off Jeff's WL. Temple felt like home to me and I knew it from the day I interviewed. YMMV, though, but it made a huge difference to me..

Jeff does win for location, though, there's no arguing that. Being a Philly native, I think I was more scared of North Philly than my classmates from other cities and states, since I grew up knowing it was one of the most dangerous parts of the city. That said, I have never felt unsafe at Temple. The parking lot is a block away from the school and I always see Temple police around the area.

If you're OOS, Jeff is 'cheaper'. If you're IS, they're pretty much the same. You really can't go wrong either way. I would really just suggest you go to whichever place felt right for you (or which one gave you a damn good fin aide package :) ).

Check out Temple's match list this year (c/o 2012). Good stuff. :thumbup:

Thanks in advance!
i was wondering where did you see that temple was ranked second to upenn?? just wondering :)
I also got accepted to both schools... my uncle is a physician in the area, and he really recommended Jeff over Temple, but I did get that feeling that Temple is really on the up and up!

I'd pick Temple in a heartbeat. :)

Temple is #47 (dropped from last year) and Jefferson is #57 (up from last year). However, keep in mind that a) USNews ranks basically research and b) Jefferson is not at all a research centric institution. IMO, the fact that they're even ranked as high as they are is pretty impressive to me.

As someone not interested in research, I'd pick Jefferson. They have very strong residencies in optho, ortho, neuro/neurosurg, rads, among others, and they're clinicals are their biggest asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.