2022-2023 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @LeeSin for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Jefferson (Sidney Kimmel) Secondary Essay Prompts
1. Describe how the pandemic has affected your educational, work, or research plans? What has your own experience informed you about the challenges of providing equitable and inclusive care to future patients? (2500 characters)

2. Do you have any additional information that hasn't been covered? (optional) (4000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Thomas Jefferson University Sidney Kimmel Medical College Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Received, OOS. Same questions as last year:

1. Describe how the pandemic has affected your educational, work, or research plans? What has your own experience informed you about the challenges of providing equitable and inclusive care to future patients? (2500 characters)

2. Do you have any additional information that hasn't been covered? (4000 characters)

@wysdoc

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is being reported in multiple threads. I think it's an AMCAS system glitch, and it's not specific to any particular school. I wouldn't worry about it as long as your docs are there.

OOS submitted; does anyone's application say that LOR are "Not Received" in the "Status" window but have the appropriate letters displayed in the "Document Status" window? Seems like this was an issue last cycle as well.

I submitted my secondary, but portal says my LORs haven't been received yet, but I sent them and when I go under documents I can see them. Should I email them or will it take some time to adjust?

I submitted my secondary, but portal says my LORs haven't been received yet, but I sent them and when I go under documents I can see them. Should I email them or will it take some time to adjust?

Based on the previous cycle's thread it seemed to pan out, and that tracks with us both having the same thing happen I would think.

Mine also says the same thing

Did you guys actually get LORs from physics, biology, humanities, and chemistry professors? I only have biology and humanities. Or can admitted students speak about this? Debating sending a secondary if this is a big deal.

Reactions: 3 users
Did you guys actually get LORs from physics, biology, humanities, and chemistry professors? I only have biology and humanities. Or can admitted students speak about this? Debating sending a secondary if this is a big deal.
I had friends who did not have all LORs and were fine/got interviews. They have something in their FAQ stating that you can send an exemption request to the Admissions Committee. I would say they're pretty flexible. --incoming MS1

Reactions: 1 users
Any tips on answering the "Anything else you'd like us to know?" question? Or is this optional? I mean, there's a 4,000 character limit, so I am a bit intimidated. :)

PS. this is my first post on SDN so please be kind! thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know an admitted student that did not have all of these and, to my knowledge, did not request an exemption. Pretty sure I saw on a past year’s thread that Jeff says this is okay but not positive on that part. Good luck!

Any tips on answering the "Anything else you'd like us to know?" question? Or is this optional? I mean, there's a 4,000 character limit, so I am a bit intimidated. :)

Idk if this is bad advice, but I usually put things as to why I'm a unique applicant or why that school specifically if not asked elsewhere

In the second part of this question, they ask "What has your own experiences informed..."

When they refer to experiences, are they COVID related? I feel like I can interpret it to be broad or specific to COVID given the first question. How did others approach this question?

In the second part of this question, they ask "What has your own experiences informed..."

When they refer to experiences, are they COVID related? I feel like I can interpret it to be broad or specific to COVID given the first question. How did others approach this question?
I connected one of my experiences to the second question without necessarily referring to COVID. I did email admissions asking for clarification so I will update when they answer me!

I had friends who did not have all LORs and were fine/got interviews. They have something in their FAQ stating that you can send an exemption request to the Admissions Committee. I would say they're pretty flexible. --incoming MS1
What would a good exemption be? I have 1 bio, 1 biochem, 1 english, and 2 research that I can choose from.

I’m split on whether to tackle this as a diversity essay or go the “why Jefferson?” route

The website says "We prefer to receive a recommendation from a preprofessional committee. If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by individual faculty members (preferably one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Humanities, if possible)." It doesn't mention anything about exemptions. The "if possible" sounds reassuring. My letters don't meet their request either - 2 genetics, 1 fine arts, 1 clinical supervisor.

Last edited:
The website says "We prefer to receive a recommendation from a preprofessional committee. If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by individual faculty members (preferably one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Humanities, if possible)." It doesn't mention anything about exemptions. The "if possible" sounds reassuring. My letters don't meet their request either.
Actually, if you go to their FAQ it has a Question if exemptions are made in regards to LORs to which they respond: "You may direct exemption requests to the Committee on Admissions using the optional information section on the Secondary Application."

I know an admitted student that did not have all of these and, to my knowledge, did not request an exemption. Pretty sure I saw on a past year’s thread that Jeff says this is okay but not positive on that part. Good luck!

What worries me about these specific LOR requests is that it throws off a nontrad who's been out of school for a while... cough cough.

I connected one of my experiences to the second question without necessarily referring to COVID. I did email admissions asking for clarification so I will update when they answer me!
Update - this is what they said about the first prompt:

“This [prompt] would be up to the individual's interpretation and the effect of your experience during the pandemic.”

Kinda vague so I’m just gonna roll with what I typed up lol

Received secondary 6/24 and submitted 6/25. Used all characters of both questions and definitely took the second question to highlight a bunch of their programs and parts of their curriculum that are very appealing to me. I also don't fulfill the letters of rec recommendations: 2 chem, 1 humanities, 2 research.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Hey any current students willing to answer a few questions for me?
-I am big on community outreach and I saw their Bridging the gaps as well as the JCC (as a jewish person myself this interests me)
-Are there any clubs or other community outreach not specifically talked about?
-How is the campus life from a student perspective?
-How is the teaching style and how does the school approach step 1/step 2?
Thanks in advance!

Just a quick FYI:

From the Jefferson Admissions website:
All SKMC applicant interviews will be conducted in-person for the 2023 Admissions Cycle.

Judging from last year's thread, interview requests will start to come out in the next 2-3 weeks.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
FYI

Attachments

• Jefferson Roe v Wade.pdf
    145.6 KB · Views: 375
  • Care
Just a quick FYI:

From the Jefferson Admissions website:
All SKMC applicant interviews will be conducted in-person for the 2023 Admissions Cycle.

Judging from last year's thread, interview requests will start to come out in the next 2-3 weeks.
I feel like a lot of places are starting to do it again this year. Which sort of sucks for far away OOS like me :(

and @wysdoc it's optional! I left it blank and was able to submit like normal.

I am a reapplicant, I did it as a: things I have done since last cycle -> diversity/what i can bring to the class -> why I want to go to sidney kimmel. 4000 chars is a lot

I feel like a lot of places are starting to do it again this year. Which sort of sucks for far away OOS like me :(
Are they, though? I was under the impression that most schools were continuing with virtual interviews, acknowledging that while virtual is less than ideal from the school's perspective, it is more than adequate and relieves significant time and monetary burdens for applicants.

Yet another example of the sellers' market allowing schools to put their interests ahead of those of their applicants. No disrespect intended toward Jefferson, but, given how low yield it is in the first place, and how much at a disadvantage OOS applicants are as compared to IS (5% interview rate as compared to 13% IS, and 3% OOS admit rate as compared to 8% IS), I'd seriously reconsider applying as a "far away OOS" applicant, given that most schools are still accommodating applicants by offering virtual interviews. YMMV. Good luck.

Last edited:
I hope I don't ruffle any feathers by saying this, but given that all seven of our allopathic schools are private, I welcome in-person interviewing.

• Hmm
I hope I don't ruffle any feathers by saying this, but given that all seven of our allopathic schools are private, I welcome in-person interviewing.
???? What does public or private have to do with anything?

"Public schools receive funding from the state and are required to provide a certain number of spots in their class to residents of that state." —Med School Insider
Not necessarily, since it depends on the state, but, again, so what? Jefferson is a private school with no state mandate, other than it actually does have a deal with Delaware that requires it to set aside a certain number of seats for students from that state, and yet it enrolls 6% of its IS applicants and less than 2% OOS.

Again, what does this have to do with in person interviews, other than the fact that people traveling from OOS will be put to a greater cost and inconvenience than someone IS? You already have an IS advantage at Jefferson, even though it isn't public.

In person interviews might play to your strengths personally, especially if money is not a consideration, but they will not give you an advantage over anyone else that you were lacking because PA does not have any public schools. To my knowledge, ALL PA schools, other than Penn, a T5 private school, confer a significant IS advantage to PA residents, regardless of their status as private schools. Likely because they also receive funding from the state, and because IS applicants are more likely to enroll, everywhere.

Not necessarily, since it depends on the state, but, again, so what? Jefferson is a private school with no state mandate, other than it actually does have a deal with Delaware that requires it to set aside a certain number of seats for students from that state, and yet it enrolls 6% of its IS applicants and less than 2% OOS.

Again, what does this have to do with in person interviews, other than the fact that people traveling from OOS will be put to a greater cost and inconvenience than someone IS? You already have an IS advantage at Jefferson, even though it isn't public.

In person interviews might play to your strengths personally, especially if money is not a consideration, but they will not give you an advantage over anyone else that you were lacking because PA does not have any public schools. To my knowledge, ALL PA schools, other than Penn, a T5 private school, confer a significant IS advantage to PA residents, regardless of their status as private schools. Likely because they also receive funding from the state, and because IS applicants are more likely to enroll, everywhere.
That's fair.

Secondary submitted! OOS. When did they start handing out interviews last year?

Secondary submitted! OOS. When did they start handing out interviews last year?
July 2, judging from last year's SDN thread. It seems to vary year to year, but just keep an eye on this thread/your inbox

I don't remember my SAT/ACT score, it was so long ago lol and I have no idea how to go digging for that information. Can we submit the secondary without those scores?

Yes, you can leave [the SAT field] blank!
Oh thank goodness. I *do* have my scores since I needed them for my postbac, but they were...I don't even know how many SAT generations ago, and I had to special-order them in dead-tree form and it took 6-8 weeks like a really terrible cereal box prize.
What does the SAT even look like now?!

Edit: This is rhetorical. Both OT and I'm not sure I want to know. ; P

I think it's pretty early for that, no?
Lol someone got an interview on July 2 last year (somehow) so yeah I guess it should be starting soon

For my document status page, my committee letter hasn't been received yet but my 3 individual rec letters are received. Since the application is marked complete, will they will review it before the committee letter comes in, or will they wait until all rec letters are received?