2008-2009 Boston Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted but withdrawing as well. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

For the Jan accepts, we had to reply to the offer but the deposit was not due until may 15th. I assume it's the same for you guys too.

I've only recieved a phone call and the congrats, now get your physical and immunizations email, but no official letter in the mail. Has anyone else? Does anybody konw what types of marks must be maintained, if these are conditional offers or anything like that?

Thanks

I've only recieved a phone call and the congrats, now get your physical and immunizations email, but no official letter in the mail. Has anyone else? Does anybody konw what types of marks must be maintained, if these are conditional offers or anything like that?

Thanks
Hmm, have you checked your status page? I could have sworn that after the acceptance, my status page showed the "official" acceptance letter--which was also emailed and sent as snail mail. It's gone from my status page now but that may be because I've already accepted the offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, have you checked your status page? I could have sworn that after the acceptance, my status page showed the "official" acceptance letter--which was also emailed and sent as snail mail. It's gone from my status page now but that may be because I've already accepted the offer.

Hmm, no my status page on their application service website hasn't change, it still reads that "my application is under consideration", but I did get the email saying "congrats on acceptance, now do your physical and immunizations". I haven't accepted their offer yet because i don't actually know how to.

Thoughts?

Hmm, no my status page on their application service website hasn't change, it still reads that "my application is under consideration", but I did get the email saying "congrats on acceptance, now do your physical and immunizations". I haven't accepted their offer yet because i don't actually know how to.

Thoughts?

Same here.

My status page hasn't changed yet, but I received an acceptance packet in the mail today. I live in Boston, so yours is probably on the way.

Hmm, yeah they're probably just a tad slower this time because more letters are being sent. We had to simply write an email accepting the offer and send in a Technical Standards form (you just had to sign and snail mail it). No worries, it should be coming soon. And congrats again!

For those who were interested in attending 2nd Look Day, I just got an official e-mail from BU with agenda and information. As mentioned previously, it will take place on May 2nd.

For those who were interested in attending 2nd Look Day, I just got an official e-mail from BU with agenda and information. As mentioned previously, it will take place on May 2nd.

yeah i got that too and the status page has updated! really excited for second look the seminar topics seem really interesting.

yeah i got that too and the status page has updated! really excited for second look the seminar topics seem really interesting.

Yeah, I was looking at them earlier today, and I can't decide which two I want to attend...I actually want to go to 5 out of 8... :oops: but at the end, all that matters is the social event at the end of the day, right? ;) like...who is really coming to 2nd look day to hear how to excel in med school??? I think the majority of people come to meet their potential classmates...which seems fair to me...you definitely want to know who you'd have to deal with on a daily basis for the next 4 years...well, at least 2. At the same time, I heard stories how none of the people showing up for the second look ended up going to the school :rolleyes: And I also heard stories about crazy partying at those 2nd look events...and then pictures surfacing on facebook...before even classes start ;) must be fun :p

Yeah, I was looking at them earlier today, and I can't decide which two I want to attend...I actually want to go to 5 out of 8... :oops: but at the end, all that matters is the social event at the end of the day, right? ;) like...who is really coming to 2nd look day to hear how to excel in med school??? I think the majority of people come to meet their potential classmates...which seems fair to me...you definitely want to know who you'd have to deal with on a daily basis for the next 4 years...well, at least 2. At the same time, I heard stories how none of the people showing up for the second look ended up going to the school :rolleyes: And I also heard stories about crazy partying at those 2nd look events...and then pictures surfacing on facebook...before even classes start ;) must be fun :p

Second Look was amazing last year!! I find it impossible to believe that anyone who attended could not end up liking the school more, not less. Unless they realized that the philosophy of the school was not for them.

And yes, meeting future classmates is fun, but the seminars I went to really reinforced what I already loved about BU. They were very well done, IMO.

I also want to go to half of the seminars! I just found out last week that I have to go to a baptism in Chicago the next morning, so I'm going to have to ditch out early and miss the social event, which is a little sad because it sounds like a good opportunity to meet people. I briefly contemplated flying out in the morning, but since I'm the godmother, any delays or cancellations would be disastrous!

I really wanted to go, but that would cost me about $500, I don't know if it's worth it....I'm like 95% sure I would go to BU

Members don't see this ad :)
I really wanted to go, but that would cost me about $500, I don't know if it's worth it....I'm like 95% sure I would go to BU

I'm in the same boat, I would have to fly there immediately after i finish finals for this year. is there anybody who's been before that knows exactly how helpful this is?

also, if people dont find housing and stuff during the open house, then when would be the best time to do it?

thx
A

Congratulations to everyone that got into BU so far! I'm a second year and just glanced at these post's.
For second look I would mainly go if you are not yet sure which school you want to go to, or if you want to meet new classmates and go out with them after. In years past the after party has been a good time usually a lot of 1st years show up and a few other upper upperclassmen. Its a good way to get students perspective on what BU is all about and where to live and such. As for the information at the meeting, I don't remember it being that informational but they do sell the school well. Its also a good time for your parents to see what the school is all about, but they also have the white coat ceremony to do this. I wouldn't stress out about going if it cost too much or if you have lots of other stuff going on. It should be more of a relaxing and enjoyable visit and not a stressful one. I think they also send you most of the information they talk about in the mail anyway. You guys should also set up a facebook group if you haven't already so you can start looking for roommates and to see who you all are. If you cannot make it and really want to talk to a student you can contact me, but I am pretty busy with school/boards right now so I cannot promise a prompt response. Hope this helps.

Jon

Hey Jon, thanks for the info. I do have some questions about housing, however. How do most folks handle moving in August? I was looking on craigslist and it appears almost all of the apartments are 9/1 starts. Do you know of any temporary housing options to get through the month of august?

Don't worry about housing too much right now. I've noticed that craigslist doesn't really have posts until 1 to 2 months before you are looking to move in. BU used to start in September so a lot of leases are on that schedule which is a pain but I doubt it will be an issue. If you want to live in Harrison court I think there is usually a waitlist so you sould get on that soon.

Don't worry about housing too much right now. I've noticed that craigslist doesn't really have posts until 1 to 2 months before you are looking to move in. BU used to start in September so a lot of leases are on that schedule which is a pain but I doubt it will be an issue. If you want to live in Harrison court I think there is usually a waitlist so you sould get on that soon.

I would really appreciate your advice on how to figire out where to live in Boston. When I was in town for my interview, I stayed with BU students. I thought the apartment was tiny and not so attractive, but very expensive. Plus it was at least 15-20 min walk from the school...I heard the winters are really cold in Boston, so I'm not really comfortable with walking that long every day. Plus I didn't really like the area where they lived (close to Northeastern University, I think). So I know that there's a shuttle going to med school from undergrad campus, and there's a very nice gym there...do you think living close to undergrad campus is a good idea? Is it cheaper than around med school? Is the area better? How realiable is shuttle? What other areas are reasonable to consider (without car)? Or would you recommend to live as close to the school as possible?

Thanks!

I second the view that Second Look is great, but not necessary.

I am a first year and I started looking for an apartment in mid-June. I was willing to start July 1 or August 1, but ended up loving an apartment that I couldn't get into until Sept 1.

So I sublet for August. It was a true nightmare, but i ended up saving money and getting a fantastic apartment. (Reality check: I pay $1550 per month for a large one bedroom in a Brownstone with a fireplace that is a 10 minute walk from school.)

As for the area: you don't want to live south of the school and the couple of blocks to the north are pretty sketchy. Then all of a sudden, if you keep walking north, you are in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Boston, the South End. That's where I live. If you keep walking you are quickly in the Back Bay which is totally upscale.

And yes, the weather is VERY cold and we had like 80 inches of snow this winter. Really. You need serious winter gear. I never left my house without long down coat, hat and hood, uggs, gloves, scarf, face protection and, at night, pepper spray.

I'm not a BUSM student, but I've lived in Boston for a long time. Depending on where they come from, some people have to really adjust their housing expectations here in Boston. It really is expensive. Not Manhattan expensive, but of location, size and price, you can only pick two. The ways most people go about saving money are getting roommates and/or living farther away. By farther away, I mean farther from public transportation, or in surrounding towns, like South Boston. You're simply not going to get a lot of well-maintained space near the school without several roommates.

A 15-20 min walk (IMO) is not a bad commute. It's better than being dependent on the T or a bus, and once you're dressed properly, the winters aren't that bad. You may end up waiting 15 min for the bus anyway, might as well be at your destination at the end of that.

I personally wouldn't live near the undergrad campus because of the atmosphere, I'm not looking for a student heavy area - the landlords take advantage (both in price and neglect), and it's loud. The gym is a nice perk though.

Was offered a wait list position, but I'm withdrawing. Good luck guys! :luck:

Thanks for letting us know. Just hearing back from people is keeping it real for those of us on the WL...

Have any of you guys received your financial aid packages yet from BUSM? I finished my CSS profile over the weekend along with my 2009-2010 BU application for financial aid, I fedex overnighted it yesterday, got there this morning, I'm not sure if I'll even know what (if anything) theyll offer me other than loans, then again I'm not even sure I'd get word back from them before 5/15...

Are we supposed to turn in financial aid info if we're on the waitlist?

Are we supposed to turn in financial aid info if we're on the waitlist?
I would suggest doing so if you have any intentions of matriculating. Reason being, should you be accepted, they'll be able to expedite your financial aid award (versus the addition of having to wait for all materials to be received). This is important, given that you may only have a few weeks to accept their offer, and that financial award may factor into your decision.

Have any of you guys received your financial aid packages yet from BUSM? I finished my CSS profile over the weekend along with my 2009-2010 BU application for financial aid, I fedex overnighted it yesterday, got there this morning, I'm not sure if I'll even know what (if anything) theyll offer me other than loans, then again I'm not even sure I'd get word back from them before 5/15...
Someone posted in the Class of 2013 thread that they got their finaid package today and they sent that in mid-February. I got my "application ready for review" email two weeks ago and I'm still waiting.

Where are you guys getting your financial aid applications and paperwork? I dont think I got any information of the sort by email or snail mail.

Also, is there anybody else still out there who hasn't recieved their acceptance package by regular post?

Thx
A

Where are you guys getting your financial aid applications and paperwork? I dont think I got any information of the sort by email or snail mail.

Also, is there anybody else still out there who hasn't recieved their acceptance package by regular post?

Thx
A

go to http://www.bumc.bu.edu/osfs/med/ for the financial aid info

the deadline is April 17, 2009 at 5pm or within 45 days of admission (whichever is later)

you're welcome :)

have u guys all received an official acceptance letter/package in the maiL? i got nothing except the initial phone call and couple emails so far . that's kinda strange :confused:

have u guys all received an official acceptance letter/package in the maiL? i got nothing except the initial phone call and couple emails so far . that's kinda strange :confused:

I have the same issue. I live in toronto so there's a chance its just taking along time or it got lost or soemthing like that. i emailed them and they said they might send out another package, maybe they'll do the same for you.

i was accepted in jan. and received the official letter 2-3 days after the email (didn't get a phone call)... the official letter is exactly like the email, and they enclose the Technical Standards form that you need to turn in as well as a Housing brochure from the Office of Housing Resources (OHR).

i'm guessing they're probably a bit busier now since they have accepted the whole class, as opposed to in january where they only gave out a few acceptances... not sure... but you can always give them a call or send an email, just in case

I second the view that Second Look is great, but not necessary.

I am a first year and I started looking for an apartment in mid-June. I was willing to start July 1 or August 1, but ended up loving an apartment that I couldn't get into until Sept 1.

So I sublet for August. It was a true nightmare, but i ended up saving money and getting a fantastic apartment. (Reality check: I pay $1550 per month for a large one bedroom in a Brownstone with a fireplace that is a 10 minute walk from school.)

As for the area: you don't want to live south of the school and the couple of blocks to the north are pretty sketchy. Then all of a sudden, if you keep walking north, you are in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Boston, the South End. That's where I live. If you keep walking you are quickly in the Back Bay which is totally upscale.

And yes, the weather is VERY cold and we had like 80 inches of snow this winter. Really. You need serious winter gear. I never left my house without long down coat, hat and hood, uggs, gloves, scarf, face protection and, at night, pepper spray.

Thanks for your input! The weather part REALLY scares me...I just know that I won't be able to walk 15-20 minutes if it's really cold outside. And by cold I mean below 20 degrees. I'm very cold sensitive... :(

As to the housing part, ideally I would like to rent a nice 2-3 bedroom apartment with 2-3 rommates. I've been living alone for 8 months now, and I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. So I'm definitely ready to move in with other people...plus it's a lot cheaper. So when should I start looking for an apartment? I'm not 100% sure I will go to BU, but it's in my top 3 choices...

I'm not a BUSM student, but I've lived in Boston for a long time. Depending on where they come from, some people have to really adjust their housing expectations here in Boston. It really is expensive. Not Manhattan expensive, but of location, size and price, you can only pick two. The ways most people go about saving money are getting roommates and/or living farther away. By farther away, I mean farther from public transportation, or in surrounding towns, like South Boston. You're simply not going to get a lot of well-maintained space near the school without several roommates.

A 15-20 min walk (IMO) is not a bad commute. It's better than being dependent on the T or a bus, and once you're dressed properly, the winters aren't that bad. You may end up waiting 15 min for the bus anyway, might as well be at your destination at the end of that.

I personally wouldn't live near the undergrad campus because of the atmosphere, I'm not looking for a student heavy area - the landlords take advantage (both in price and neglect), and it's loud. The gym is a nice perk though.

I don't understand why Boston is so expensive...I lived in Philadelphia for a while, and I thought housing in Center City is expensive...and then I came to Boston. I hate the idea of throwing so much money away every month for nothing...but I guess that's part of experiencing New England's lifestyle :)

Thanks for your input! The weather part REALLY scares me...I just know that I won't be able to walk 15-20 minutes if it's really cold outside. And by cold I mean below 20 degrees. I'm very cold sensitive... :(

As to the housing part, ideally I would like to rent a nice 2-3 bedroom apartment with 2-3 rommates. I've been living alone for 8 months now, and I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. So I'm definitely ready to move in with other people...plus it's a lot cheaper. So when should I start looking for an apartment? I'm not 100% sure I will go to BU, but it's in my top 3 choices...

if you get a larger apartment with roommates, the rule of thumb is that you will pay around $1000 per month in the South End or other good neighborhoods. Some people save money by living farther out and commuting, but I am glad I didn't do that.

Yea, I think convenience is really worth paying more for me (but not too much!). I rather ay a little extra and have a really close apartment than paying cheaper and have to rely on the public transportation.

But if possible I'm looking for an apartment that is within walking distance to the school for under $1000. I don't mind living with 2-3 roomates (I currently live with 4 roomates). When do people usually start getting housing?

Yea, I think convenience is really worth paying more for me (but not too much!). I rather ay a little extra and have a really close apartment than paying cheaper and have to rely on the public transportation.

But if possible I'm looking for an apartment that is within walking distance to the school for under $1000. I don't mind living with 2-3 roomates (I currently live with 4 roomates). When do people usually start getting housing?

Well, it varies. If you try to get an apartment to be vacated by current med students, the earlier the better. Otherwise, I would start checking Craig's List in June for a July or August start date. That worked for me.

Also, although I pay a lot, I looked at some pretty good one bedrooms for around 1300.

Do you want to move into a house already occupied by people you don't know, or put together your own group? For the former, you prob could start earlier.

Hi all

I was recently accepted to BU but since I'm at school right now finishing up my degree, I haven't had a chance to go home and read all the info that came in the acceptance package yet.

Does anybody know if we have to maintain a certain GPA for the rest of the year (bachelor's degree) to keep our acceptance to BU? Or, does the acceptance package say something vague like "maintain high academic standing"?

thx

Hi all

I was recently accepted to BU but since I'm at school right now finishing up my degree, I haven't had a chance to go home and read all the info that came in the acceptance package yet.

Does anybody know if we have to maintain a certain GPA for the rest of the year (bachelor's degree) to keep our acceptance to BU? Or, does the acceptance package say something vague like "maintain high academic standing"?

thx

Dont fail any classes and you'll be fine.

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the status page? I wanted to send an update letter, but it looks like the whole site has been taken down. Any other ideas where I could send this thing or is it just too late?

snail mail? i know it seems primitive but desperate times....

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the status page? I wanted to send an update letter, but it looks like the whole site has been taken down. Any other ideas where I could send this thing or is it just too late?
Yup, I can't onto the myapplication.

MyApplication is back online.

Loved BU... but sadly withdrew my acceptance today. I hope my seat goes to one of you deserving waitlisters :luck:

Loved BU... but sadly withdrew my acceptance today. I hope my seat goes to one of you deserving waitlisters :luck:

Thanks nerakium! As a waitlister, I appreciate the update ;)

I withdrew yesterday. Kinda broke my heart, but knowing it'll probably make someone's day helps a lot. Good luck guys! :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.