2022-2023 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any thoughts on U Miami vs Boston U ?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if BU offers merit aid beyond the $10k/year dean's scholarship?

Just got the email confirming I’m on the waitlist. Does BU inform applicants where they place on the WL?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if BU offers merit aid beyond the $10k/year dean's scholarship?
I contacted the admissions office and they said that the Dean’s scholarship is the only merit aid they provide

It just states that "This year we received over 10,000 applications for approximately 120 seats in the class"
I think it's the same as past years, the other 30 seats are filled by the students from the 7 year early assurance program. I could be wrong, but this might explain the numbers.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's the same as past years, the other 30 seats are filled by the students from the 7 year early assurance program. I could be wrong, but this might explain the numbers.
That's actually pretty smart. Thanks for letting me know.

Well to add to this conversation. MSAR just updated and on BU's page it says "Estimated number of new entrants: 120"

I don't know what number it used to say. But seems like strong evidence that they may be moving towards a smaller class size.

Recently accepted last week and I might need to defer my enrollment for one year but I can't find any information on BU's website about the deferral process/if they even allow deferment. Does anyone know if they allow deferrals and if not, could they potentially rescind my acceptance if I were to call the admissions office directly and ask about the policy?

Does anyone know what specific tax documents we need to submit to the portal? I thought I saw somewhere that it was 2017 parental returns but that seems like way too long ago. pls help

Recently accepted last week and I might need to defer my enrollment for one year but I can't find any information on BU's website about the deferral process/if they even allow deferment. Does anyone know if they allow deferrals and if not, could they potentially rescind my acceptance if I were to call the admissions office directly and ask about the policy?
You can check on MSAR. It states that the decide case-by-case whether to allow a student to defer. I don't think they'd rescind your acceptance though

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what specific tax documents we need to submit to the portal? I thought I saw somewhere that it was 2017 parental returns but that seems like way too long ago. pls help
2021 1040 and W2s

Deferment requests are considered on a case-by-case basis. There's absolutely no harm in asking admissions their policy and submitting a request, just be prepared that it may be denied. Regardless, your acceptance is safe.

Well to add to this conversation. MSAR just updated and on BU's page it says "Estimated number of new entrants: 120"

I don't know what number it used to say. But seems like strong evidence that they may be moving towards a smaller class size.
While no official comments have been made, I can observe as an M1 that each year the class size does seem to be slightly smaller. Keep in mind though BUSM does have multiple early acceptance programs so this does skew the numbers you may see regarding new entrants. I believe the 7 year program is no longer continuing however there are 2 other early acceptance programs that take up ~15-20 seats per year.

Anyone know if waitlist decisions are made on a rolling basis or all at once in June/July?

A - Withdrawing it for an A at a school closer to home. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Just withdrew my acceptance offer here as well for a better financial aid package elsewhere. Good luck guys!!!

Reactions: 8 users
does BU have good WL movement?
They didn't seem to have much the past two cycles based on SDN threads. MSAR shows 20-25 people getting off the WL out of 300 WL spots (data may not be super accurate).

I was waitlisted last year and the adcoms told me there was only 1 person accepted off the WL last year which they said was super abnormal for them
I noticed this occurred at many schools last year. Is this because schools are over-admitting students?

Does anyone know what the turnaround is for need-based financial aid? I submitted all my docs recently and wanna know hold long I should expect to wait

Does anyone know what the turnaround is for need-based financial aid? I submitted all my docs recently and wanna know hold long I should expect to wait
About a week after they review them. May take 1-2 weeks for them to review them after you submit everything and mark “finished.”

Timelines may vary though. They’re probably swamped after the A wave

Well I got my financial aid package and I didn’t qualify for any need-based loans or scholarships even tho my parents aren’t helping me pay for anything ✨

Well I got my financial aid package and I didn’t qualify for any need-based loans or scholarships even tho my parents aren’t helping me pay for anything ✨
uh yeah same.... is BU expecting us to take out 400K in loans??? like wtf?

Is it just me who notices that BU is mission focused however most applicants accepted have ridiculously high stats?

Is it just me who notices that BU is mission focused however most applicants accepted have ridiculously high stats?
Lots of schools are mission-focused. Lots of applicants are research-focused. Lots of them also happen to have ridiculously high stats. BU does seem to like higher MCATs, though it's GPA range is kinder than most

Reactions: 1 users
Lots of schools are mission-focused. Lots of applicants are research-focused. Lots of them also happen to have ridiculously high stats. BU does seem to like higher MCATs, though it's GPA range is kinder than most
Agreed, GPA range is definitely very lenient. I go on reddit though, and I see nearly every 520+ MCAT scorer get in and it made me stop and think for a second.

Agreed, GPA range is definitely very lenient. I go on reddit though, and I see nearly every 520+ MCAT scorer get in and it made me stop and think for a second.
reddit is anecdotes. MSAR is facts.

uh yeah same.... is BU expecting us to take out 400K in loans??? like wtf?
Basically everyone at BUSM is either rich and their parents are paying tuition or they're taking out the full in loans. I am unfortunately the latter, and pursuing the PSLF route to get loan forgiveness later on. I recommend you look into PSLF wherever you end up.

Financial aid office here simply follows a terribly outdated formula to decide who gets aid and how much. They aren't understanding at all to students unique situations and to me it seems quite unfair how they decide to spread their financial aid budget.

Basically everyone at BUSM is either rich and their parents are paying tuition or they're taking out the full in loans. I am unfortunately the latter, and pursuing the PSLF route to get loan forgiveness later on. I recommend you look into PSLF wherever you end up.

Financial aid office here simply follows a terribly outdated formula to decide who gets aid and how much. They aren't understanding at all to students unique situations and to me it seems quite unfair how they decide to spread their financial aid budget.
Yeah, I don't have that kind of money, and I don't want to be in that much debt. As a result, I withdrew. Great school with a great mission fit, but it's unfortunate that more financial aid isn't available. I sincerely hope they change their decision-making process in the future.

any good insider-info you can give about the school? :oops:

When will BU admin revisit the waitlist/start meeting again to shell out acceptances?

When will BU admin revisit the waitlist/start meeting again to shell out acceptances?

Wondering this as well! Also does anyone know if it is better to send a LOI asap, mid April, or late April?

any good insider-info you can give about the school? :oops:
Despite what people say most medical schools are the same. Pre-clinically, I like that BUSM has shortened the pre-clinical curriculum and accelerated the Doctoring curriculum meaning we see patients on our own sooner than most programs. In terms of clinical rotations, this is pretty consistent among all schools. BUSM has P/F pre-clinical with no internal ranking (huge bonus) and has graded clinical rotations (another bonus, goodluck matching competitively with P/F clinical years while your competition all has grades).

BUSM will train you to be an awesome doctor and set you up well for matching. However, it'll also put you in a decent amount of debt. If you have a cheaper option that's still well ranked (top 40), I'd choose the cheaper option unless you have strong demographic ties to be in Boston.

The greatest drawback here is the lack of financial aid. I do hope this changes in the future. It's sad to see a school with such an awesome mission not carry those values over to the students they train. If you're a patient in need they'll help, but if you're a student in need you're out of luck.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who went to the Admitted student day this week (or before) wanna talk about what it was like? Is the "Mock Doctoring/Case Study" session interactive? (aka do I have to embarrass myself?)

Lobster for lunch to justify the tuition costs right?

• Haha
Can someone with an MSAR subscription take screenshots of BU info and post them here? Please and thanks 🙏

Anyone who went to the Admitted student day this week (or before) wanna talk about what it was like? Is the "Mock Doctoring/Case Study" session interactive? (aka do I have to embarrass myself?)

Lobster for lunch to justify the tuition costs right?
Does stress yourself out! For me, it was 2 M1s walking a group of about 10 through what it would be like to get a history from a patient with a chief complaint. Very interactive with formulating differntial diagnoses, potential questions, one of the group members interviewing one of the students as a patient, etc

Application withdrawn. Good luck to everyone still in the mix.

Currently I’m abroad and can’t get phone calls for the month of April

Do you think if I get called off the waitlist, they would also send an email? What should I do?

Currently I’m abroad and can’t get phone calls for the month of April

Do you think if I get called off the waitlist, they would also send an email? What should I do?
Chances are the three of these will all happen:

-they’ll email
-you’ll see the change in your portal
-you’ll see the chance on CYMS

• Care