2022-2023 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew A. Good luck to someone out there!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! I did and now have access to it. Thank you!
During the second look, the office of student affairs said about 7 people failed to match last year. 2 of them “successfully SOAP into good programs” and the other 5 did a research year and supposedly all successfully matched this year, just as an extra datapoint!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
During the second look, the office of student affairs said about 7 people failed to match last year. 2 of them “successfully SOAP into good programs” and the other 5 did a research year and supposedly all successfully matched this year, just as an extra datapoint!
The paper they gave me at second look said 100% of people matched this year

The paper they gave me at second look said 100% of people matched this year
that 100% includes SOAP, match into prelim only, and neglects to mention those with a planned or unplanned research year. All schools do this.

Reactions: 1 user
Well to add to this conversation. MSAR just updated and on BU's page it says "Estimated number of new entrants: 120"

I don't know what number it used to say. But seems like strong evidence that they may be moving towards a smaller class size.
I'd say these numbers are accurate. About 30 students come from either the 7 year program or two of our early assurance programs.

~120 new seats is probably accurate +/- 10. Also I would agree BUSM is trending to a smaller class size, likely to be able to offer more merit/aid in the future and become more competitive is my best guess.

10-15 years from now, the most competitive schools I think will be the free ones/ones that give a lot of aid.

General question about fin aid pls help me understand !! So BU offered me the max amount of federal unsub loans, and said the remaining could be covered by federal PLUS loans or private loans. I’d rather not have any private loans….. is it likely that I would receive full federal loans? (given that I have good credit etc) are the plus loans hard to get?

At another school, they offered me the max unsub and also included the PLUS loans in my offer, I am just confused if BU is pretty much offering me the same package (but just not including the PLUS loans bc technically I have to apply)

Hope this makes sense thank you for any input !!!!

General question about fin aid pls help me understand !! So BU offered me the max amount of federal unsub loans, and said the remaining could be covered by federal PLUS loans or private loans. I’d rather not have any private loans….. is it likely that I would receive full federal loans? (given that I have good credit etc) are the plus loans hard to get?

At another school, they offered me the max unsub and also included the PLUS loans in my offer, I am just confused if BU is pretty much offering me the same package (but just not including the PLUS loans bc technically I have to apply)

I’m also an incoming student so I don’t know 100% but it’s my understanding that the standard loan setup schools give is first Stafford loans that covers a bit over $40k a year and then the rest in PLUS loans. Yes you have to apply, but it’s my understanding these PLUS loans aren’t hard to get unless you have atrocious credit. If the average Joe can get it, you should be more than fine.

I’m also an incoming student so I don’t know 100% but it’s my understanding that the standard loan setup schools give is first Stafford loans that covers a bit over $40k a year and then the rest in PLUS loans. Yes you have to apply, but it’s my understanding these PLUS loans aren’t hard to get unless you have atrocious credit. If the average Joe can get it, you should be more than fine.
This is 100% correct! Unless you've filed for bankruptcy or anything like that, you'll be approved for PLUS loans.

Also definitely recommend anyone taking loans look into PSLF!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when waitlist movement typically happens here?

After some more thought, I decided to withdraw from the waitlist. Good luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 4 users
I have not heard of any movement. We know from the info session that they accept more people than they have spots for and that only one person got off the waitlist last year. For all we know, there may not be any waitlist movement this year.
With that said, it would be helpful if admissions was a little more transparent about the status of any waitlist movement.

Reactions: 4 users
I have not heard of any movement. We know from the info session that they accept more people than they have spots for and that only one person got off the waitlist last year. For all we know, there may not be any waitlist movement this year.
With that said, it would be helpful if admissions was a little more transparent about the status of any waitlist movement.
You could try emailing them to ask, I’d bet they’d be as straightforward as possible

Have any incoming students received access to their BU email and whatnot to get info on prematriculation?

Have any incoming students received access to their BU email and whatnot to get info on prematriculation?
got the email about the email couple days after paying the deposit

get in quick before all the good email names are gone

got the email about the email couple days after paying the deposit

get in quick before all the good email names are gone
Do you have access to the email? I was linked to a website to set up my account and did so, but I have been unable to login to the email so far.

Do you have access to the email? I was linked to a website to set up my account and did so, but I have been unable to login to the email so far.
It took like 24hrs for me to get email access after choosing my username

mine was a bit more immediate, but yea try again later. Nothing cool happening in that email anyway

Have there been any emails sent about prematriculation info?
I don’t think so but there is info about it online. Make sure to do the certiphi background check, send your transcript, schedule an appointment with your doctor to get a vaccine record form signed, make sure you’re up to date on vaccines (TDAP must be done every 10 years for example), also get 2 TB skin tests or the blood test done within 6 months of matriculation. If you want to live in the MSR and haven’t signed up do that ASAP, idk if the deadline has passed yet

Does anyone have any information on waitlist movement?
They sent an e-mail a couple weeks ago saying they had minor MD/PhD movement, but expect that waitlist movement, if any, would not happen until June

Congrats on the A!! Did they notify you through phone call?

Do we know if the class is full for this cycle? I was not able to get much more information about the WL movement

Should I pack it up and say my goodbyes?
A solid 10 people have joined the Groupme in the last 2 weeks and about 3 left it. Not sure if it’s just latecomers or WL movement.

It seems like in the last couple years there has been minimal WL movement at BU

Hi all -- not sure if anyone will be still following this thread, but I'd like to ask a question about financial aid: I was told that BU's need-based scholarships are a lot more generous since they got the gift from Chobanian & Avedisian. Can anyone comment (DM if you prefer) on how much they got awarded. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Hi all -- not sure if anyone will be still following this thread, but I'd like to ask a question about financial aid: I was told that BU's need-based scholarships are a lot more generous since they got the gift from Chobanian & Avedisian. Can anyone comment (DM if you prefer) on how much they got awarded. Thanks a lot!
all about transparency.

Was offered about 60k out of the 70k tuition. Overall ranked among the more generous ones from other financial aid packages I received. They did not match a full-ride.

Can't say if they are a lot more generous than before.

• Wow
all about transparency.

Was offered about 60k out of the 70k tuition. Overall ranked among the more generous ones from other financial aid packages I received. They did not match a full-ride.

Can't say if they are a lot more generous than before.
That's amazing! I'm glad to hear some tangible evidence, thanks a lot for lending insight.

Got the A with Dean's scholarship yesterday. Interviewed early September.
How are you doing. Hope you are going good with BU. Just trying to understand the Dean's scholarship criteria. Can i know your LM score and also if you are IS or OOS?

For those who wonder as you slog through the end game:

Although I was a very, very bright high school student (PSAT 98%, SAT=top 3%) and modestly achieving college student (GPA ~3.5 but taking lotsa advanced classes), I didn't do so great on the MCAT from the 90's era. I mean, I did ok on the science part but somehow screwed up the reading comp badly. Notably, I was reading at a college level in 8th grade, scoring the average high school score on an SAT overall (they asked me to take it years before I was ready). So I never did understand how that was possible. Anyhoo..

STEP I ... scored in the top 15%. And back then, that was all that really mattered.

It seems getting into BU or any other med school has become insanely more difficult, and I really commend those of you out there who easily gain admission. For those of you who are 'on the edge' - don't give up hope, and don't ever think you are somehow maligned or lesser.

Yes, being AOA in med school signifies a high probability of future success in medicine - but there are plenty who weren't but had the real world skills to succeed nonetheless. Believe me.

If you're "close" and don't make it, just know that you can still do it - just depends on how much you are willing to persevere. Good luck!