2022-2023 Boston University

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chilly_md

Full Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you @flyon_littlewing9587 for sharing this year’s questions!

2022-2023 Boston University Secondary Essay Prompts:

1) Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree?*

(Post bac work is NOT considered undergraduate. If attending a post bac program prior to entering medical school, the answer is NO and should be explained.) If you took gap year(s), please use this space to explain what you have been doing prior to applying to medical school. (1400 characters)

2) If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.) (1400 characters)

3) Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us.

For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section.

Also use this section to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/ research/volunteering or employment plans. (2000 characters)

4) Boston Medical Center is the largest safety net hospital in New England, serving primarily people who are publicly insured, people of color, immigrants, and low-income people in the Greater Boston Area. Why are you specifically interested in beginning your medical education in this environment, and how do you feel that your previous experiences will prepare you for this unique learning environment? (3000 characters)

5)

Optional Essay:
Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the BUSM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. Yes, it's really optional. (3000 characters)



Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
 
Last edited:
OOS invitation to create account received 09:58 EST - it said secondary will be sent shortly

Edit: Secondary received 10:02 am EST
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OOS received.

For the core competencies tab, are yall just putting coursework? If so should I put the classes I had the most success in, such as my upper division postbacc courses and retakes?
 
I'm shocked no one has done this yet! But I got yall

1) Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree?*
(Post bac work is NOT considered undergraduate. If attending a post bac program prior to entering medical school, the answer is NO and should be explained.) If you took gap year(s), please use this space to explain what you have been doing prior to applying to medical school. (1400 characters)

2) If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.) (1400 characters)

3) Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us.
For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section.
Also use this section to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans. (2000 characters)

@chilly_md
 
I'm shocked no one has done this yet! But I got yall

1) Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree?*
(Post bac work is NOT considered undergraduate. If attending a post bac program prior to entering medical school, the answer is NO and should be explained.) If you took gap year(s), please use this space to explain what you have been doing prior to applying to medical school. (1400 characters)

2) If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.) (1400 characters)

3) Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us.
For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application or your AMCAS application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section.
Also use this section to explain any impact that COVID-19 may have had on your educational/research/volunteering or employment plans. (2000 characters)

@chilly_md
Did they not ask about why BUSM?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did they not ask about why BUSM?
Oh yes they did.

1)

Why BUSM?​

Boston Medical Center is the largest safety net hospital in New England, serving primarily people who are publicly insured, people of color, immigrants, and low-income people in the Greater Boston Area. Why are you specifically interested in beginning your medical education in this environment, and how do you feel that your previous experiences will prepare you for this unique learning environment? (3000 characters)

2)
Optional Essay:
Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. This should include only information NOT already included in your AMCAS or other sections of the BUSM Supplemental Application. Most applicants leave this blank. Yes, it's really optional. (3000 characters)

@chilly_md
 
Has anyone else received the secondary yet? Im still confused how to approach this core competencies portion:/
If you look at the instructions, it gives a pretty good examples. Basically you just list courses/activities that prove you have experiences in each area.

I listed courses I took, being a student teacher, and tutoring.
 
Do I need to assign BU to my letter packet on AMCAS before I can submit? I was waiting on my school to finish my packet before I did this.
 
Has anyone not gotten a secondary who was verified by the first day apps were sent out? (It is not in my spam, I checked)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Perhaps they are sending it in waves. I received mine a few days ago and was verified 6/1. Also noticed someone else above verified 6/1 also received it previously. Don't worry its coming for you 🙂
Can confirm this from last year (not to say that's 100% what's happening now I suppose, but it did last year)! I was verified before transmission day but I didn't get my secondary until mid-July.
 
Noticed on their secondary that it says
CASPER Requirements:
CASPer Test Dates: May 2021 - October 28, 2021
Is this a typo? Or is my May 2022 CASPer invalid?
 
Noticed on their secondary that it says
CASPER Requirements:
CASPer Test Dates: May 2021 - October 28, 2021
Is this a typo? Or is my May 2022 CASPer invalid?
I think this is a typo because when you're in the secondary and hit the drop down to select the date you took CASPER, they're all listed as 2022.
 
anyone else not able to upload their headshot? mine is not letting me save even though it meets all size/format requirements
 
anyone else not able to upload their headshot? mine is not letting me save even though it meets all size/format requirements
same thing happened to me. I just submitted my sec and emailed them my photo, they uploaded it for me in like the next 10 mins
 
Hey, did anyone else not receive the additional emails to make an account for the supplementary application after pre-registering to receive these emails?

I emailed admissions about this twice but they haven't replied and it has been a few days...

thank you
 
Hey, did anyone else not receive the additional emails to make an account for the supplementary application after pre-registering to receive these emails?

I emailed admissions about this twice but they haven't replied and it has been a few days...

thank you
I received the "Initial Contact" email with the link to the secondary 3 days after pre-registering, maybe it's just taking a while because there was a weekend in between?
 
Just got my casper back and its not good- how much does Boston weigh this? I'm applying MD-PhD and all my other stats are good+tons of volunteering. Not sure if I should waste money on the secondary fee if this is going to tank my app.
 
Anybody still haven't received their secondary? I've been verified and submitted my primary to them >1 week ago. Haven't received any sort of email from them since. 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I keep seeing on reddit that BUSOM is public health oriented but I don't see much information regarding this on their website - can anyone guide me to where I can find more information on the public health focus?