2008-2009 Columbia College of P&S Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the same letter today with the exact same handwritten note at the bottom of the letter.
I wonder how many people wrote to him saying that they want to stay on the alternate list with a LOI?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people I assume. They said to sent a note "later in spring", so that's what I'm doing. Probably some time in early-mid April.

Has anyone not heard anything from P&S? I live in the city & no letter or package yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, all! Just wanted to say that I followed the advice on this thread and wrote a LOI with the dates that I would be in New York. I recently got a call from Dean Frantz to meet with him, so the advice is good!

Hello, all! Just wanted to say that I followed the advice on this thread and wrote a LOI with the dates that I would be in New York. I recently got a call from Dean Frantz to meet with him, so the advice is good!

Woo! Congrats! Good luck. :luck:

Hi. I was thinking of calling Dean Frantz and just wanted to make sure: his name is pronouned like 'France' with a 'tz' at the end, right? I know someone with a similar name who pronounes their's more like an 'uh' sound. Thanks.

Hi. I was thinking of calling Dean Frantz and just wanted to make sure: his name is pronouned like 'France' with a 'tz' at the end, right? I know someone with a similar name who pronounes their's more like an 'uh' sound. Thanks.

That's how he pronounced it in my voicemail. Good luck!!!!!

Thanks! Good luck to you, too, Tiare208 :luck:.

Hm, I did LOIs and just called him and he didn't offer to meet even though I mentioned it in my last letter.

Well I live far away, so maybe he's focusing on scheduling the out of towners before the New Yorkers?

Hi Everyone,

When you all refer to a "LOI," do you mean 'letter of interest' or 'letter of intent?' In other words, are you all writing Dr. Frantz letters saying you're still interested in Columbia, or are you sending him letters clearly stating that 'if you admit me, I will enroll.'

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
That's up to you. If you are interested, tell him. If you will attend if accepted, then you are committing yourself. Depends on your own situation. Some people are waiting from schools they would rather attend or need to see financial aid in order to make a decision. These people would write letters of interest. People who will attend Columbia no matter what if they are accepted write "letters of intent" which commit you to attend the school.

Hello, fellow alternates~! Just checking in. Anyone have any updates/progress to report?

No progress. Getting more and more nervous about the meeting with the dean though...

I had a dream two nights ago where I received a letter from Dean Frantz that said that I can call him for an interview if that's something I wanted.
Other than that, nothing.

No progress. Getting more and more nervous about the meeting with the dean though...

Ooh, I bet. When is it? Best of luck! Wish I had some advice or reassuring tidbit to offer, but........ well it's fabulous you got the 2nd interview! Knock his socks off!

I had a dream two nights ago where I received a letter from Dean Frantz that said that I can call him for an interview if that's something I wanted.
Other than that, nothing.

Ugh, I hate dreams like that. But does that mean you'll be calling him tomorrow? ;)

Ugh, I hate dreams like that. But does that mean you'll be calling him tomorrow? ;)

You know, I'm not so sure about calling him up or asking for an interview with Dean Frantz.
I mean, I do want to show my interest and all, but I don't want to bug him or anything.
If he's interested, wouldn't he contact me?
Urgh, it feels just like dating and I'm the worst at that kind of stuff.

I've sent him two letters of intent so far and I'll probably send another one in late April, timing it just right so that the letter will arrive in early May as some accepted applicants are starting to withdraw and the admissions office is getting a little vulnerable.

You know, I'm not so sure about calling him up or asking for an interview with Dean Frantz.
I mean, I do want to show my interest and all, but I don't want to bug him or anything.
If he's interested, wouldn't he contact me?
Urgh, it feels just like dating and I'm the worst at that kind of stuff.

I've sent him two letters of intent so far and I'll probably send another one in late April, timing it just right so that the letter will arrive in early May as some accepted applicants are starting to withdraw and the admissions office is getting a little vulnerable.

Seriously, I feel the same way. It's just not my personality to call and bug people. And what could a person say in a phone call that hasn't already been said in an LOI?
Also, does anyone know if Dr. Frantz invites people who live far from NY for second interviews or are second interviews only for people who live nearby or those who are "going to be in the area"? I'm out here in the west

I may be the only one who got this, but did any other rejected applicants get an informational packet for Columbia's School of Nutrition? This is the ugliest slap in the face from the most stuck-up institution known to man. I am completely disgusted. I've been rejected at none of of the 5 places I interviewed and accepted at two. I have 10+ in each section of the MCAT and a GPA higher than 3.75. I am not a candidate for last-minute career-path changes of heart. Their rejection letter was tasteless. This is just downright despicable.

I did research at Columbia for goodness' sake... maybe that's why they had the false impression that I was attracted to their nose-in-the-sky institution.

Deplorable. Just brutal.

I may be the only one who got this, but did any other rejected applicants get an informational packet for Columbia's School of Nutrition? This is the ugliest slap in the face from the most stuck-up institution known to man. I am completely disgusted. I've been rejected at none of of the 5 places I interviewed and accepted at two. I have 10+ in each section of the MCAT and a GPA higher than 3.75. I am not a candidate for last-minute career-path changes of heart. Their rejection letter was tasteless. This is just downright despicable.

I did research at Columbia for goodness' sake... maybe that's why they had the false impression that I was attracted to their nose-in-the-sky institution.

Deplorable. Just brutal.
Yes, haha. What a waste of paper and postage.

i hear ya. i'm a frigg'n engineering phd student @ columbia, and i've been rejected twice. strange how we fight over spots where we re-take undergra-level med classes. the slaps that i have received from p&s have numbed my face.

Seriously, I feel the same way. It's just not my personality to call and bug people. And what could a person say in a phone call that hasn't already been said in an LOI?
Also, does anyone know if Dr. Frantz invites people who live far from NY for second interviews or are second interviews only for people who live nearby or those who are "going to be in the area"? I'm out here in the west

I'm not one to call either, probably because I would hate to be called if I were in his position. I'm going to stick with writing letters, but I may mention that I'd be happy to meet again if he has time. That being said, even if he's interested, I doubt he really has time to call each of us, so the burden is necessarily on us.

If I remember last year's WL thread correctly, it seemed mostly people in the area (or those who were going to be) got second interviews. If you're out west and not coming this way, maybe it's that much more important for you to call... think of it as a phone interview.

Alternately you could say you're going to be in the area and pick some random date far enough in the future such that, if you did get an invitation for a second interview, you'd have time to book a flight........

Is anybody having good luck getting off of the waitlist so far? I'm waitlisted for the MD program but I would take it over my MD/PhD acceptances for personal reasons. Looks like in past years, the first waitlist movements have been towards the end of this month. Good luck everybody! :xf::xf:

Nothing yet, I just called a week or two back and Dean Frantz just gave me the usual talk about how the wait list works. I really hope I'm getting through, but I guess there's no way of knowing until/unless you get THE call!:confused:

Does the waitlist work any differently at Columbia than at a different school?

So when you all are calling him, do you have specific questions, or are you just calling to state your interest again in a more personal way. I'm trying to figure out how a conversation would go down if I dialed him up. Thanks for any help.

has anyone (who were rejected from P&S) received feedback for improvement?

the admissions assistant said that i could & to write an email to the psadmissions - addressed to dr. frantz.

i did this, but received a letter in the mail that stated "it is the policy of p&s to not provide feedback" or something...

is this standard protocol (for the secretary to say "yes", but dr. frantz to say "no"), or am i just getting the cold shoulder?

Hey guys,
Fellow waitlister here. Any news??

hey guys. I just found out that at some med schools they "don't permit" students to conduct research during the academic year. Does any one know for sure what the deal is at Columbia? Thanks. And good luck to everyone.

Wow May 15th is inching closer but so far away too.

Accept me, Columbia, I love you! :love:
Hahhaa it seems like this thread gets 500 new views every time I bump it. Theres a lot of lurkers out there.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything about financial aid?

During revisit you could visit the financial planning office and get your package or at least an estimate, they might be willing to do the same over the phone.

I thought the revisit was April 16-17 so it already passed?

:xf::xf:

I just withdrew from the waitlist. Good luck to everyone else!!

Fellow waitlisters, I have good news! Being a squeaky wheel pays off!!

I sent a letter of intent, more letters of recommendation, and a recent publication to the Office of Admissions after getting waitlisted. After a few weeks, I called to request a 2nd interview, and he accepted. I had the interview on Monday, and was accepted! I cried in his office. Columbia has always been my dream school.

Beware though-- I think he's done this one other time this round and I would doubt this happens very often (before May 15th). From past forums, I think he admits people on the spot after May 15th. However, I wanted to send others encouragement.

I sent a letter of intent, more letters of recommendation, and a recent publication to the Office of Admissions after getting waitlisted. After a few weeks, I called to request a 2nd interview, and he accepted. I had the interview on Monday, and was accepted! I cried in his office. Columbia has always been my dream school.

Beware though-- I think he's done this one other time this round and I would doubt this happens very often (before May 15th). From past forums, I think he admits people on the spot after May 15th. However, I wanted to send others encouragement.

Wooooooooooooooohoo! Congratulations! :clap:

Here's hoping for the rest of us... :xf:

Hey Jub, Congratualtions!!!!
I was just wondering how he broke the news. Did he do the typical: If I accept you will you enroll first? Or did he just come flat out with it?

Yes, he gave the expected spiel: "So, you mentioned in your letter of intent a few weeks ago that Columbia is your #1 choice and you would withdraw other acceptances. Is that still the case?" And I said (truthfully!) absolutely, without any reservations. He then said that they aren't taking any waitlisters until after May 15th (then a very long pause...) but you'd rather find out before leaving country (I won't be in "The States" this summer) and I basically got a "What the hell! You're in."

Commence tears of joy.

Wow Congrats Jujubee! Hopefully some of the rest of us will hear good news soon!

:xf::xf:

Congratulations!!!!! Wow, tears of joy, sounds like a great day.

well, I got a typed, very short letter from Dean Frantz today telling me that I'm still under active consideration.
But there was no hand-written note nor any mentioning of the second interview.
To call... or not to call...

well, I got a typed, very short letter from Dean Frantz today telling me that I'm still under active consideration.
But there was no hand-written note nor any mentioning of the second interview.
To call... or not to call...

Was this in response to your last letter? And you're planning to send another soon, right? Perhaps wait to send the last letter, then call to "make sure it was received."

Just an idea. I'm considering taking my own advice.

Edit: Are you in the area? I suspect that he wouldn't suggest a second interview if you aren't currently or planning to be in the area.

Yeah, it was "in response to my letter of April 8th."
haha.
yeah, maybe I should call after another letter.
I'm not really in the area but I guess I had better make myself available!

Some people did get in off the waitlist without a second interview, right?
But not a whole lot, huh?

Some people did get in off the waitlist without a second interview, right?
But not a whole lot, huh?

Last year some did. Not sure how many. And of course if their first interview was with Dean Frantz, then they didn't get a second. I guess it depends on how borderline a candidate is, but there's no way to know that.

But if you're really *really* serious about Columbia, why not do everything within your power? All this persuading and "pestering" is totally unlike me and it goes against the grain, but I can't risk not trying. I don't want to look back and wonder if I could have done more.

:luck:

Accepted yesterday off of the waitlist as well! It was surreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.