2008-2009 Drexel Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I'm not sure if this was posted awhile back, but this thread is quite lengthy. I was waitlisted at Drexel sometime in late December, the exact date escapes me now (complete end of August and interviewed in late october). Does anyone know if Drexel has real wait-list movement, or is being waitlisted there pretty much a rejection?
-Roy

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm not sure if this was posted awhile back, but this thread is quite lengthy. I was waitlisted at Drexel sometime in late December, the exact date escapes me now (complete end of August and interviewed in late october). Does anyone know if Drexel has real wait-list movement, or is being waitlisted there pretty much a rejection?
-Roy

I interviewed at Drexel three years in a row including this year. I know two years ago they over-accepted and no one got off the waitlist. They were even offering reduced tuition to some incoming students for deferring their admission for a year. I don't know if there were any takers. Dr. Hanau said last year they toned it down quite a bit, but I assume there was at least some leeway. They're probably sticking to last year's acceptance rate this time around. That's why they seem to be being stingy on the acceptances this year.

I interviewed at Drexel three years in a row including this year. I know two years ago they over-accepted and no one got off the waitlist. They were even offering reduced tuition to some incoming students for deferring their admission for a year. I don't know if there were any takers. Dr. Hanau said last year they toned it down quite a bit, but I assume there was at least some leeway. They're probably sticking to last year's acceptance rate this time around. That's why they seem to be being stingy on the acceptances this year.

I am currently a medical student at Drexel, and I can safely let you know that at least last year, the waitlist did move. I don't know how large the movement was, but the list did move. The previous year, when they overadmitted, the list did not move.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who got a "final decision" message get a letter yet? If so, when did you interview?

Did anyone start a forum for class of 2013?

Complete - Augustish
Interview - 11/19
Status Change! "Your application is under review by a member of the committee." 01/20

At least things are moving along. :xf::):xf:

Complete - Augustish
Interview - 11/19
Status Change! "Your application is under review by a member of the committee." 01/20

At least things are moving along. :xf::):xf:

I was there the 19th too. I had that status for almost a month before it changed 2 weeks ago to "review by the committee" which it still says. Good luck!:xf:

anyone 12/6 interview hear anything?

Anyone who got a "final decision" message get a letter yet? If so, when did you interview?

I think people have been writing that the letters get mailed about a week after the "final decision" message goes up. Check out a bit earlier in the thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 11/07.
Status changed to "under review by committee" about a week ago.
Just checked today and status now says "final decision has been made."
Now I'm just waiting for a letter. :xf:

Interviewed 11/07.
Status changed to "under review by committee" about a week ago.
Just checked today and status now says "final decision has been made."
Now I'm just waiting for a letter. :xf:

I wonder if they just send out a whole batch of them at the same time or if they send out the letters as soon as they say "a final decision has been reached"

Well, it's been another day... Any news?

Sorry, I've been a bit obsessive since I got my "final decision" notice online.

It took me about 10 days to receive my letter. My status changed on a Friday and I received the letter not that following Monday, but the Monday after that.

You can also call and ask them to fax it to you if you are going to "be out of town" when the letter may arrive....

Also, I was told they send them out in batches if that helps.

Xdor, I totally understand. Looks like we'll be finding out in a few days hopefully.

It took me about 10 days to receive my letter. My status changed on a Friday and I received the letter not that following Monday, but the Monday after that.

You can also call and ask them to fax it to you if you are going to "be out of town" when the letter may arrive....

Also, I was told they send them out in batches if that helps.
I may have to get it faxed if I don't receive anything before next Wed since I'm going out of the country at the end of the week.

Quick Question:

I was recently rejected post-interview, which came as a surprise given my excellent interview experience. I thought I would try to be positive though, and find out if I made any glaring mistakes that I could try and rectify for the other schools I am interviewing at/plan to interview at. Do any of you have any suggestions about who at the Admissions office I should speak to? Should I email, write a letter, or call someone specific, and would they be receptive to such a request?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Quick Question:

I was recently rejected post-interview, which came as a surprise given my excellent interview experience. I thought I would try to be positive though, and find out if I made any glaring mistakes that I could try and rectify for the other schools I am interviewing at/plan to interview at. Do any of you have any suggestions about who at the Admissions office I should speak to? Should I email, write a letter, or call someone specific, and would they be receptive to such a request?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Can I ask when you interviewed and the movement of your status page? I have been anxiously waiting for mine to change. I had "at a committee member for a month", and now 2 weeks at the committee. I thought I had a great interview there too, and I really want an acceptance, but the more they keep waiting, the fewer spots there will be that I can be considered for. :confused:

:help:

It has been eleven weeks since i interviewed at Drexel and my status still says "Your interview has been scheduled..."

Im really starting to get worried since it was only suppose to take 8 weeks, i called the front office and its always the "we're backed up" answer....i wish i could walk in there, grab my file and hand it to one of the committee members!:mad:

Update: My status changed this morning to: A decision has been reached and a letter will be mailed to a preferred address. :eek::eek::eek:

I have seen elsewhere on this thread that it can take them a while to just send the letter out. Does anyone know how long this generally takes? My preferred address is in Maryland, so this letter could come as soon as tomorrow:scared:.

It has been eleven weeks since i interviewed at Drexel and my status still says "Your interview has been scheduled..."

Im really starting to get worried since it was only suppose to take 8 weeks, i called the front office and its always the "we're backed up" answer....i wish i could walk in there, grab my file and hand it to one of the committee members!:mad:

That's kind of shady. There are people on this thread who interviewed later than you and have been to committee and have gotten a decision by now. Maybe it has to do with your committee reviewer or something.. I dunno.

Last edited:
Update: My status changed this morning to: A decision has been reached and a letter will be mailed to a preferred address. :eek::eek::eek:

I have seen elsewhere on this thread that it can take them a while to just send the letter out. Does anyone know how long this generally takes? My preferred address is in Maryland, so this letter could come as soon as tomorrow:scared:.

It's not that fast. They don't even print out your letter till a few days after you get the status change, which means even if you called Monday, they can't fax anything to you. It really does take a week or so. good luck!

Ugh!! It's been a week since my "final decision" message. When's it gonna be mailed?!!??!?!?!?

Sox, I interviewed the first week of October, and received my decision the end of December, so it took just under 3 months for my decision!

But...*points to my post above*, no one has any suggestions? It's weeks later and I'm still quite shocked by the outright rejection. I'm not trying to seem pretentious or arrogant, but it was a school I absolutely loved when I visited, and would have been very happy to attend. That, and I thought I was a competitive applicant for the school

I'm sorry for you. In regards to your post, though, I would try Dr. Hanau. She's the dean of admissions and is very nice.

Sox, I interviewed the first week of October, and received my decision the end of December, so it took just under 3 months for my decision!

But...*points to my post above*, no one has any suggestions? It's weeks later and I'm still quite shocked by the outright rejection. I'm not trying to seem pretentious or arrogant, but it was a school I absolutely loved when I visited, and would have been very happy to attend. That, and I thought I was a competitive applicant for the school

What were your numbers like, if you dont mind?

were you in state? I agree with the above post that you should call. The few times I did, they seemed very nice.

Sure, I don't mind posting:

Out of state applicant
MCAT: 34
GPA & sGPA: both mid 3.6s
Non-science major

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried to email already, but I did not receive a response. So, I suppose a phone call couldn't hurt. Good luck to those of you still waiting, it really seemed like a great school, and you should
definitely consider attending if you get in.

Out of state applicant
Non-science major

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried to email already, but I did not receive a response. So, I suppose a phone call couldn't hurt. Good luck to those of you still waiting, it really seemed like a great school, and you should

How was your student interview? They use it to help determine whether, personality-wise, you'd be a good fit for the school community. Even if your numbers are on point, if you didn't mesh well with your student interviewer, you may have gotten low marks.

Out of state applicant
Non-science major

I think they thought you were over qualified and that you might not attend if gotten into another school in your state.

Interview 8/08 I believe (off the top of my head), just finally under comm. member review

Ok, I've got several friends who interviewed at Drexel last cycle, and several of them were outright post-interview rejected.

Now, these friends include one who is absolutely charming and one who is quiet but very kind and extremely smart (99th percentile MCAT score). I cannot imagine that either of these two people could be more qualified to go to medical school, or that they would have had bad interviews. I was definitely shocked when the reject letter arrived. Apparently, according to my one friend who did make it through, Drexel's ADCOM has some very finicky people on it and if you had the wrong person interviewing you, you're screwed.

I mean, this really isn't that far off from what I've heard about some of their profs (apparently one likes to get revenge whenever a student ticks him off?!) so all these post-int rejects aren't surprising from that standpoint. Of course, it sucks for you (especially since you are totally qualified). I don't know what you can do-they may be able to tell you why you got rejected, but reversing the decision probably isn't going to happen. Good luck with apps and hopefully you get in somewhere you like just as much, if not more.

Last edited:
Sent them a transcript with 19 credits of A, so maybe with some luck I'll hear something from drexel? Hell I don't even care if they reject me at this point, just giving an answer would be nice.

8 days and still no letter...

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I'm withdrawing and giving up my interview spot. Granted, it's for 3/10, so I guess if someone happens to have an interview after that and wants to move up, have at it. I just sent in the email today, so it will take at least until tomorrow before the spot opens up for those interested.

Ok, I've got several friends who interviewed at Drexel last cycle, and several of them were outright post-interview rejected.

Now, these friends include one who is absolutely charming and one who is quiet but very kind and extremely smart (99th percentile MCAT score). I cannot imagine that either of these two people could be more qualified to go to medical school, or that they would have had bad interviews. I was definitely shocked when the reject letter arrived. Apparently, according to my one friend who did make it through, Drexel's ADCOM has some very finicky people on it and if you had the wrong person interviewing you, you're screwed.

I mean, this really isn't that far off from what I've heard about some of their profs (apparently one likes to get revenge whenever a student ticks him off?!) so all these post-int rejects aren't surprising from that standpoint. Of course, it sucks for you (especially since you are totally qualified). I don't know what you can do-they may be able to tell you why you got rejected, but reversing the decision probably isn't going to happen. Good luck with apps and hopefully you get in somewhere you like just as much, if not more.

Man you have quite a vendetta against Drexel, don't you?

Your examples don't hold much water. I don't understand why your two friends (are these 2 friends included in your 20+ count that go to different medical schools?) should be guaranteed acceptance due to a high MCAT score or a "charming personality."

You have no idea what these individuals acted like during their interview - what Mr. 99%tile had no interest in Drexel? Should they accept him because they're such a shitty school and he's *SO AMAZING*?

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I'm withdrawing and giving up my interview spot. Granted, it's for 3/10, so I guess if someone happens to have an interview after that and wants to move up, have at it. I just sent in the email today, so it will take at least until tomorrow before the spot opens up for those interested.

me too. i hadn't scheduled my interview yet, but hopefully it goes to someone who really loves drexel

Interview 8/08 I believe (off the top of my head), just finally under comm. member review

Interviewed 10/8/08...finally under review. I stopped checking about two weeks ago, so not how long this has been at this status. I'd be pretty pissed if I hadn't essentially decided on elsewhere, but that wait time is absurd. Going on 17 weeks...wow haha. Am curious to see what they think after they dust off my application though.

After you get the "a decision has been made" message, how long does it take to receive the letter? I got this message about a week and a half ago, and this waiting is driving me nuts!

After you get the "a decision has been made" message, how long does it take to receive the letter? I got this message about a week and a half ago, and this waiting is driving me nuts!

I got mine on the 16th. I'm still waiting for the decision. Yes.. I agree, it's driving me nuts. When did you interview?

Last edited:
Quick question, The student guest house, Anybody know their address ?. Also do they allow others to stay in the room such as family member ?. Thanks in advance

I also interviewed on 12/6.

Status
Not open for further replies.