2008-2009 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by bozz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed at EVMS recently. Great school. Interview went really well, I thought. Will call in a week or so, I guess? Is there a standard time period everyone has been calling around?

Also, how did those of you that interviewed already send thank you notes to your interviewers? I just talked to someone in Admissions and they said I should send the thank you to Admissions w/ Attn: Dr. Interviewer. Did anyone else do this?
 
Last edited:
Hey, just to add to the ranks, I also interviewed in late October and do not, as of yesterday, have a decision from the Admissions Office. I understand that, if accepted, I will receive paperwork in the mail, but what if I am waitlisted? Do I have to call to find that info out, or will I get something in the mail as well? If it is the latter, I am just going to ride it out and see what comes in the mail eventually. Thanks y'all and keep the faith!


If you are placed on the waitlist, you will receive a letter in the mail to inform you of this. It will probably take about a month to receive this letter, but timing might be variable with sending letters of this nature.
 
i really planned on sending a thank you letter, but when I sat down to write it, I really had nothing worth writing that did not sound like I was trying to kiss*****. it turned out to work out ok. I really doubt the letter has much effect, and I really dont think they are worth sending unless you connected with the interviewer and have something worth sincerely thanking them about.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is along the lines of what I was thinking. When I called and asked for an interviewer's e-mail address, they said that I shouldn't send by e-mail. "Huh!?" was my reaction.

Anyways, I stalked two of my interviewers' e-mail addresses, but couldn't find the third's. That third person was not the AdCom member (the one presenting my application), so I'd assume she gave her evaluation to the AdCom interviewer right after the interview ended. I would like to thank her and may still send a letter, but I don't think there's any way that a snail mail letter would reach Admissions, be processed, and THEN delivered to her before her input on my application is final (and probably not even before my file is presented to the committee). Let's face it, the reason 99% of us send thank you notes is because we don't anyone to look at our application unfavorably.

In conclusion, I'll probably send the letter, but I'm not exactly jumping out of my office window to do it.
 
Are you sending thank-you notes to all three of your interviewers? Should you just pick one and request that they share it with the others on the panel?

Thanks!
 
Are you sending thank-you notes to all three of your interviewers? Should you just pick one and request that they share it with the others on the panel?

Thanks!


Last year I went to the office of admissions or wherever immediately after my interview and asked them if they had a list of names of interviewers assigned to each person. I gave them my name and they gave me the three interviewers' names (I had only gotten a business card from one of them during/after my interview).

Then I helped the ladies in there move some huge piece of furniture. That's probably why I got accepted.
 
Hi everyone,

I called the admissions office to ask for my student interviewer's name, and I can't find the name they gave me on their directory....did I hear it wrong? Did anyone interview with someone named Lindsay Finklea by any chance?
thanks!
 
I was specifically told not to send thank-you notes by one of my interviewers (I asked for their business cards) -- he said I had better things to do with my time.

I don't know about anyone else, but I interviewed on Friday the 14th and my interview was scary... one of the people on my panel just seemed really unimpressed with me from the moment I walked through the door. I tried to do the best job I could and I don't think I completely sank myself or anything, but I felt like he was just looking for a reason not to like me. Completely baffled.
 
Hi everyone,

I called the admissions office to ask for my student interviewer's name, and I can't find the name they gave me on their directory....did I hear it wrong? Did anyone interview with someone named Lindsay Finklea by any chance?
thanks!

Don't worry about looking them up in the directory. The school requested that all thank you letters be sent to the admissions office and that they will then forward them to the interviewer.
 
I was specifically told not to send thank-you notes by one of my interviewers (I asked for their business cards) -- he said I had better things to do with my time.

I don't know about anyone else, but I interviewed on Friday the 14th and my interview was scary... one of the people on my panel just seemed really unimpressed with me from the moment I walked through the door. I tried to do the best job I could and I don't think I completely sank myself or anything, but I felt like he was just looking for a reason not to like me. Completely baffled.

One of the members of the panel is supposed to play the "bad cop" by disagreeing with things you say, asking you silly questions, etc. in order to see how you react under pressure. They probably weren't actually unimpressed but just acting this way to see if you could maintain your confidence.
 
Has anyone who interviewed in November called in about decisions yet? I interviewed on the 8th and am wondering if it's too early to call. I think I just need someone to tell me to be patient or give me that push to dial the numbers. They should have a smiley with its heart jumping out of its chest because this waiting game is making mine pound.
 
Has anyone who interviewed in November called in about decisions yet? I interviewed on the 8th and am wondering if it's too early to call. I think I just need someone to tell me to be patient or give me that push to dial the numbers. They should have a smiley with its heart jumping out of its chest because this waiting game is making mine pound.
Call, today's the 18th. I intend to call 10 days after mine, which is roughly Mon/Tues of next week.
 
Call, today's the 18th. I intend to call 10 days after mine, which is roughly Mon/Tues of next week.


Called today. No decision yet. Let me know if they have a decision for yours when you call? I'll try again then. Have a good weekend!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went through this thread and looked at what days people seem to be getting decisions, and it seems like they seem to be made on Mondays. Not necessarily the 3rd of every month though. Isis disproved that theory because she called every day for a week and received her decision on Monday, Nov. 10 (which obviously isn't the 3rd Monday of the month). So I'm assuming it's every two to three Mondays.

I called Friday and had no decision (interviewed the 12th) and mabumbum called Thursday and didn't have one (interviewed the 8th), so today seems a good candidate for decisions to be made seeing as none were made last week. I'll probably call later.
 
I went through this thread and looked at what days people seem to be getting decisions, and it seems like they seem to be made on Mondays. Not necessarily the 3rd of every month though. Isis disproved that theory because she called every day for a week and received her decision on Monday, Nov. 10 (which obviously isn't the 3rd Monday of the month). So I'm assuming it's every two to three Mondays.

I called Friday and had no decision (interviewed the 12th) and mabumbum called Thursday and didn't have one (interviewed the 8th), so today seems a good candidate for decisions to be made seeing as none were made last week. I'll probably call later.


Good luck! I will try my luck again tomorrow morning.
 
Good luck! I will try my luck again tomorrow morning.
Ugh... I called and the woman I talked to said that the committee meets every Wednesday, but they won't be meeting this Wednesday (I guess because of Thanksgiving). Earliest I can expect a decision is Wednesday of next week it looks, and it seems like there's a lag time between the decision being made and it being uploaded to the computer. Damn. Looks like a 1.5 week wait for me.
 
So is it safe to assume that I've been given the silent rejection since I have yet to receive a secondary? I'm not even good enough for a "Hey, you're not good enough!" Is it even worth calling them at this point?
 
So is it safe to assume that I've been given the silent rejection since I have yet to receive a secondary? I'm not even good enough for a "Hey, you're not good enough!" Is it even worth calling them at this point?

I would call just to have peace of mind. You could always try asking for a secondary and if they tell you no, ask them what you need to work on. It could only help to know what your weaknesses are. Good luck!
 
Ugh... I called and the woman I talked to said that the committee meets every Wednesday, but they won't be meeting this Wednesday (I guess because of Thanksgiving). Earliest I can expect a decision is Wednesday of next week it looks, and it seems like there's a lag time between the decision being made and it being uploaded to the computer. Damn. Looks like a 1.5 week wait for me.

So I called and like you, still no decision. It would have been nice to have at least one in the bag to tell the folks at Thanksgiving. I'll call again Friday of next week. Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Wow, did they really use those terms? That's harsh. At least you have other acceptances to fall back on!

Well I wouldnt call UCSD a fallback, but I really did like VA and would have liked the option. And I thought their words were pretty harsh too but I hate PC BS so I cant fault them for it because its ultimately true.
 
I would call just to have peace of mind. You could always try asking for a secondary and if they tell you no, ask them what you need to work on. It could only help to know what your weaknesses are. Good luck!

🙁 Confirmed.
 
Hey so I finally got my Waitlist letter from EVMS (I had found out earlier over the phone), but there was a note at the bottom of the letter asking me to schedule a phone interview with the Associate Dean for Admissions. Has any one else had one of these, and if so, do you remember what he asked? I've already brain-dumped all of my medical ethics info so I hope it isn't any more of that stuff...
 
Hey so I finally got my Waitlist letter from EVMS (I had found out earlier over the phone), but there was a note at the bottom of the letter asking me to schedule a phone interview with the Associate Dean for Admissions. Has any one else had one of these, and if so, do you remember what he asked? I've already brain-dumped all of my medical ethics info so I hope it isn't any more of that stuff...

How long ago did you interview? I'm curious regarding how long it takes them to send out letters.
 
Hey, just in case anyone's interested:
interviewed 11/12-
waitlisted- received snail mail today (11/29), dated 11/26.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, just in case anyone's interested:
interviewed 11/12-
waitlisted- received snail mail today (11/29), dated 11/26.
I interviewed the same day, just called, but still no decision. Wait is killing me.
 
I interviewed the same day, just called, but still no decision. Wait is killing me.

At least you haven't been waitlisted or rejected yet. I was scared that I might find a little white envelope waiting for me when I got back from Thanksgiving, but nothing. I hope there's not one waiting for me when I get home from work today and if there is mail let it be an acceptance. Anyway, I think you and I are in the same "no decision" boat. Let's hope that our patience pays off.
 
At least you haven't been waitlisted or rejected yet. I was scared that I might find a little white envelope waiting for me when I got back from Thanksgiving, but nothing. I hope there's not one waiting for me when I get home from work today and if there is mail let it be an acceptance. Anyway, I think you and I are in the same "no decision" boat. Let's hope that our patience pays off.
I'm crossing my fingers. I'm being driven wild trying to figure out exactly when my decision will be made. It's so confusing. IssaErie said her letter was dated Nov. 26, but the lady at admissions said the adcom wasn't meeting that day/week. So when was the decision made?! Ugh... deep breaths. I'll try again Wednesday afternoon, I think.
 
Hey,
Anybody have any idea about previous year's waitlist movement? I'm in the second third....
:/
If they've already figured out waitlists, maybe all you no decisions are just acceptances waiting to be sent out! 🙂 gdluck.
 
Hey,
Anybody have any idea about previous year's waitlist movement? I'm in the second third....
:/
If they've already figured out waitlists, maybe all you no decisions are just acceptances waiting to be sent out! 🙂 gdluck.
I hear OOS is good. If you read back a few pages, I think a few have said they dip into the middle 1/3 of the list. IS isn't so promising though.
 
Hey so I finally got my Waitlist letter from EVMS (I had found out earlier over the phone), but there was a note at the bottom of the letter asking me to schedule a phone interview with the Associate Dean for Admissions. Has any one else had one of these, and if so, do you remember what he asked? I've already brain-dumped all of my medical ethics info so I hope it isn't any more of that stuff...

I had the same situation and didn't know what to expect. I met with Dr. Solhaug (associate dean for admissions) last week. It was sort of a guidance talk about how the waiting list works and what I'm doing or could do this year. It was very comfortable. You don't need to worry about reviewing material like you may have done for an interview.

I was told that ~60% of each class comes from the waiting list. There is significant movement on the waiting list for in state applicants, but not for out of state applicants. Also, the list is dynamic. It's not something that ranks each person for them to sequentially pull from top to bottom.
 
I was told that ~60% of each class comes from the waiting list. There is significant movement on the waiting list for in state applicants, but not for out of state applicants.
Are you sure that's right (about which list moves more)? The opposite was said earlier in the thread, and theoretically it makes more sense that OOS would move faster. Maybe a previous poster(s) was mistaken though.
 
I'm crossing my fingers. I'm being driven wild trying to figure out exactly when my decision will be made. It's so confusing. IssaErie said her letter was dated Nov. 26, but the lady at admissions said the adcom wasn't meeting that day/week. So when was the decision made?! Ugh... deep breaths. I'll try again Wednesday afternoon, I think.


I hope we don't end up like chessknt87. I have been checking SDN everyday, multiple times a day now that I know decisions should be rolling around. It's absolute madness.
 
did he happen to say if they start pulling from the waitlist before March?

They don't start looking at it until after all of the interviews are completed, so some time in March. The in state movement on the wait list is correct, and given the school's dedication to the state it makes sense. I'm referring to the amount of in state applicants vs. out of state accepted from the waiting list, not just movement. Maybe the out of state wait list movement is due to withdrawn applications?
 
When I called last Monday (the 24th of Nov), I was told the committee meets on Wednesdays. I didn't have a decision when I called this past Monday (the 1st of Dec), though someone who interviewed on the same day as me did. I'm going to try this afternoon, sometime between 2 and 4. If anyone tries before that, let us know what they say. Here's hoping for a decision today...
 
IS waitlist did not move hardly at all last year. and it wouldnt make sense that it would, considering all the over achiever's in the country that apply and get accepted into 20 schools. They have a OOS quota they try to meet, therefore for every OOS acceptance that ends up going to harvard means another open spot. Not saying that if you are on the IS waitlist you have no chance, however, I would put my money on the person on the OOS waitlist.

I would know, I was on the IS waitlist all last year from dec to aug.
It sucked, but in the long run, I am glad it happened.
Ive had a lot of experiences I would not of.
just keep your heads up.
 
When I called, they told me IS moves faster than OOS. Not sure if that is the case or not, I am IS so maybe they were just trying to shut me up and give me some (false?) hope. I find it interesting that they are asking some students to call, or even come in and meet with them personally. I wonder why they do this for some and not others.

Logically, this makes sense to me, because UVA and VCU will take a lot of the IS students. This may be a huge leap of faith, but I think many people on the OOS WL already have other acceptances by the time movement happens.
 
Just called. "No decision." I wish I could just get a date or something. I'm tired of waiting in limbo.
 
Just called. "No decision." I wish I could just get a date or something. I'm tired of waiting in limbo.

Wow, did you ask why it was taking so long? It's 3 weeks for you now, right? Friday will be four weeks for me. I'll call tomorrow afternoon about myself. Has anyone who interviewed in November gotten an acceptance or rejection?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, did you ask why it was taking so long? It's 3 weeks for you now, right? Friday will be four weeks for me. I'll call tomorrow afternoon about myself. Has anyone who interviewed in November gotten an acceptance or rejection?

I interviewed Nov. 7th, got waitlist letter dated Nov. 26th, with note to email Dean for phone interview. I'm IS and prolly gonna withdraw. Those of you on the IS waitlist good luck.
 
interesting that some people are getting notes at the bottom of their waitlist letters requesting them to call in. I didn't get that, but I don't know if that's only for IS folks, or for people they're really interested in or what. Just a heads up! 🙂
 
yea. i was IS waitlist last year and i met with the solhaug like once a month. im sure every year is a little different. last year was supposedly abnormally slow, for IS movement. but I saw and heard of a lot of OOS'ers getting accepted all the way through early august and barely any IS.
 
Any of you guys know how long is the interview season is for EVMS???
 
Hey all, I see there are a lot of questions and issues that people have concerns about. I'll do my best to address them as a first year at EVMS

Yes, traditionally in the past there has been a lot of movement on the waitlist but last year very few both IS and OOS students were taken off the waitlist. Not sure if that was just last year or it's an actual change that's happening in the applicant pool. Also, because EVMS is getting more funding from the state, I'm told that the number of IS applicants will increase and consequently, the number of OOS applicants will decrease. I don't have a confirmation for this just yet, but just what I've heard through the grape vines.

Interview season tends to last until March-ish.

Let me know if there are other questions!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.