2008-2009 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
where can we obtain said pixy dust.

Sorry, I am all out....and my dealer got shot in a deal-gone-bad last year....why do you think I am still on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

So with regards to the 2nd look weekend at the end of april.. will anyone on the waitlist be invited to go?

I have searched through the entire thread and was wondering when the adcom meet? Any particular day or date after the interview? Also does it have a priority score system like VCU? The reason I was asking that I wanted to send an update letter and I interviewed a week ago. So if the adcom has already met then it might be worthless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewed on the 23rd of January call for a decision yet?

Does anyone know the admissions statistics for OOS applicants?

Does anyone know the admissions statistics for OOS applicants?
According to USNews

Total admissions data 4895 applied, 624 interviewed, 305 were accepted, 115 enrolled
In-state admissions data 741 applied, 336 interviewed, 196 were accepted, 73 enrolled
Out-state admissions data 4154 applied, 288 interviewed, 109 were accepted, 42 enrolled

anyone that interviewed in Jan. hear back? i interviewed on jan 16th and called and they said they havent reached a decision yet.

anyone that interviewed in Jan. hear back? i interviewed on jan 16th and called and they said they havent reached a decision yet.

I also interviewed on the 16th, but I already know I'm waitlisted. I got a letter in the mail on the 31st.

Why is that?

Because it's understood that you're interested in the school and not much weight is given to "letters of intent" because most of the people who send them wind up going elsewhere anyway. The short answer: they don't mean anything to the school.

Hello All! I just got an interview invite! I was wondering for those of you who interviewed, if you could shed some insight into the school. I have some acceptances already, so I just really want to know if you liked the school and your interview experience. I'm trying to decide if I would go to EVMS over some of the other choices I have.

Also, does anyone know what the OOS tuition is?

Rec'd interview invite today as OOS. Will likely decline the interview. So I hope some other OOS student on SDN gets the invite..

i also received an out-of-state interview invite this morning that i declined. hopefully, someone else who really wants an invite from EVMS gets it instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All! I just got an interview invite! I was wondering for those of you who interviewed, if you could shed some insight into the school. I have some acceptances already, so I just really want to know if you liked the school and your interview experience. I'm trying to decide if I would go to EVMS over some of the other choices I have.

Also, does anyone know what the OOS tuition is?

From my interview experience, EVMS is an excellent school in a very nice location. I was very impressed with their introduction to the interview day with a demonstration of their standardized patient. One of the interviewees got to do a mock patient history/interview. I know that most (if not all) schools have standardized patients but this demonstration really impressed me.

The location is also really nice. From what I can tell, Norfolk is a "small city", meaning that it has everything you'd want as a student (bars, malls, restaurants, theaters, etc.), just like a big city, but is more of a small town. The housing situation seemed nice and cheap.

Everyone was really nice and I enjoyed the feel of the student body. The city is also right next to the ocean so you get some gorgeous ocean/harbor views.

All in all, a very pleasant and nice city. If I get accepted here I will have to think twice before making a decision either way (like you, I hold other acceptances)

Congrats on the interview. And if you don't take it, I know some other pre-med will gladly take your spot :)

One other thing about the school is that it's relatively small. It's not affiliated with an undergrad or university (there are some other programs like MPH, clinical psych, PA) and there isn't a great deal of research that goes on at the school. Having said that, it seems that the clinical curriculum is top-notch - some of the simulation technology they talked about at my interview day seemed truly incredible. But if you're looking for the "big university feel" for a med school, this isn't the place for you.

I just got my acceptance envelope today. God is great and my dream has finally come true.

I just got my acceptance envelope today. God is great and my dream has finally come true.

Congratulations to you. I called yesterday for my waitlist spot and was told that I was top 1/3. I then asked if I could be bumped down and was told the only way I would move was off. So we will see.

For the new interview invites, even though this 'small city' is at the very upper limit of how large of a town I want to live in I still thought the school was great. I like the location of the 'small city'. The school (at least more than others) really seemed to care about the students quite a bit. This may or may not be true, I don't know, but they really worked hard to give that impression. Even with the large town, I would love to go to school there (but I don't hold mutliple acceptance either, so take it with a grain of salt).
The negative: that damn tunnel. On my way home from the interview it took a god awful long time to get out of town. But that is really the only negative I can glean from my interview day at this moment.
Good luck in your decisions.

Congratulations to you. I called yesterday for my waitlist spot and was told that I was top 1/3. I then asked if I could be bumped down and was told the only way I would move was off. So we will see.

For the new interview invites, even though this 'small city' is at the very upper limit of how large of a town I want to live in I still thought the school was great. I like the location of the 'small city'. The school (at least more than others) really seemed to care about the students quite a bit. This may or may not be true, I don't know, but they really worked hard to give that impression. Even with the large town, I would love to go to school there (but I don't hold mutliple acceptance either, so take it with a grain of salt).
The negative: that damn tunnel. On my way home from the interview it took a god awful long time to get out of town. But that is really the only negative I can glean from my interview day at this moment.
Good luck in your decisions.

Hey we interviewed together. I am in the same boat. Upper 1/3 waitlist. I wonder if everyone was wait listed since my interviewer had hinted at the fact that it was a little late in the season and they don't have many spots to offer. Also did you receive a letter in the mail about your waitlist status. I was told that I am suppose to receive it but I never did. I was really hoping for one just in case Dr. Solhaug had put a note to call him.:xf:

And yes the tunnell. It took forever to get out. All the best.

Hey we interviewed together. I am in the same boat. Upper 1/3 waitlist. I wonder if everyone was wait listed since my interviewer had hinted at the fact that it was a little late in the season and they don't have many spots to offer. Also did you receive a letter in the mail about your waitlist status. I was told that I am suppose to receive it but I never did. I was really hoping for one just in case Dr. Solhaug had put a note to call him.:xf:

And yes the tunnell. It took forever to get out. All the best.

For some reason my interviewers did not hint at the 'not many spots left' thing. But everyone else has. In fact, my interviewer made it sound as if I was starting med. school there the next day (even though I thought the interview went horrible). I did receive a letter w/o a note from Dr. Solhaug. It was dated Feb. 9. The best to you also.

I did receive a letter w/o a note from Dr. Solhaug.

Just to clarify the "note from Solhaug" business, it seems from the posts here that only in-state students got notes. So I don't think OOSers should be worried if they didn't get one.

BTW, I'm OOS and also waitlisted (top 1/3).

With regards to movement on the waitlist, order actually doesn't matter. Why do I say this? Well, it's cause who gets taken off the waitlist depends on who relinquishes their spot. If someone who is an OOS male decides to turn down EVMS then it is more likely that a male OOS waitlister will be taken over someone else who may be higher than him on the waitlist. Of course, OOS/IS and sex aren't the only characteristics that they go by and thus calculating how likely you are to be accepted is very difficult to ascertain right now. If you're on the waitlist, that's already a great thing. Just continue to show your interest. Unfortunately that's all I can offer you right now as far as tips. Please feel free to ask me any more questions! Gluck everyone.

I am OOS, interviewed and got waitlisted today top 1/3. What % chances do I have to get accepted? Do they rank these individuals within these top, middle and bottom 1/3 list? I really like the school. Do you think by showing a strong interest to the admission committee/Dr Solhaug will get you an acceptance faster then somebody who is ahead of you in the top 1/3. I am little confused. Your comments are highly appreciated.

Just to clarify the "note from Solhaug" business, it seems from the posts here that only in-state students got notes. So I don't think OOSers should be worried if they didn't get one.

BTW, I'm OOS and also waitlisted (top 1/3).

So if I am Instate and do not get the note from Dr. Solhaug and I am in the upper third of the wait list does that mean "Thank you try again next year"?:scared:

I have an interview in early March, and I wonder if it'll be more cost-effective and convenient to rent a car rather than take a cab in Norfolk. Does anybody have a suggestion? Thanks,

I have an interview in early March, and I wonder if it'll be more cost-effective and convenient to rent a car rather than take a cab in Norfolk. Does anybody have a suggestion? Thanks,

I wouldn't. If you stay at the Sheraton Waterside (where I did--special EVMS rate $99, for a room that normally costs $175), they have a van which will drop you off anywhere in the downtown area, and even pick you up to go back to the hotel. They also drove me to EVMS for free (I arranged this the night before).

Cabs to and from the airport are suprisingly expensive: about $35 each way with tip. I suppose if you were able to find a really cheap car rental, you'd come out ahead, but I personally wouldn't want the hassle.

I wouldn't. If you stay at the Sheraton Waterside (where I did--special EVMS rate $99, for a room that normally costs $175), they have a van which will drop you off anywhere in the downtown area, and even pick you up to go back to the hotel. They also drove me to EVMS for free (I arranged this the night before).

Cabs to and from the airport are suprisingly expensive: about $35 each way with tip. I suppose if you were able to find a really cheap car rental, you'd come out ahead, but I personally wouldn't want the hassle.

How did you get this rate? I called the Sheraton, and they said that EVMS has to make the reservation for me? Is there a special code that you used?

How did you get this rate? I called the Sheraton, and they said that EVMS has to make the reservation for me? Is there a special code that you used?

No, but it took a couple of tries with the brain-dead reservations staff. First I called the main reservations number, said I wanted the special rate for "Eastern Virginia Medical School," and the guy said he'd have to check with his supervisor. I hung up after a long silence.

Then I called the hotel itself in Norfolk. Got the same blank reaction to "Eastern Virginia Medical School," but then I got inspired and told the guy to check under "EVMS." Bingo.

I stayed with a student: a) cheap b) close to school c) inside info on the school for the always fun "why EVMS?"

I haven't spent a single dollar on hotels on my interview trail and have met some very nice people. :D

I will be interviewing on Wednesday March 4. I will be flying in the afternoon of March 3 and leaving the following evening. I tried to find a hotel with a shuttle that would go to the airport and school, to no avail. I am under 25, so a car rental is not an affordable option. Is there an older applicant flying in the same day who is willing to carpool?

I stayed with a student: a) cheap b) close to school c) inside info on the school for the always fun "why EVMS?"

I asked for a student host at EVMS, but didn't get one (at least, they never got back to me). I called Vera Potts to check on this a week before my interview, and she said she was "going to get to it," and would call me a couple of days in advance, but I never heard anything. I had to use the hotel reservation I had made as a backup.

I interviewed right before the MLK Day long weekend, so that may have something to do with my failure to get a host. (Many students were probably going away, and didn't want to hassle with a guest.)

I interviewed on Feb 20 and loved the school. When should I call to check my status?

I interviewed on Feb 20 and loved the school. When should I call to check my status?

I called at about the 2-3 week mark and they told me the decision (waitlist) right there on the phone. I wouldn't bother calling before 2 weeks.

You can call anytime after March 4 or latest by March 6. You should get the info regarding the decision. I interviewed on Feb 6 and received the letter dated Feb 17.

Any wait-listed OOS gotten the magic call/letter recently?

The waitlist will start moving a little bit in late March, when they stop interviewing. Most of the movement will happen in May or later, though.

What time does the interview day end?

What time does the interview day end?

As soon as your actual interview is over. It depends on when it's scheduled. Mine was scheduled in the first slot so I was done relatively early (I think my interview was scheduled at 1:00(?) and it lasted 45 minutes). If you're scheduled in the last interview slot you'll have a bunch of free time between lunch and the interview.

my interview ended around 4:30, i had a late interview and they were behind.

just called EVMS, made the top 1/3 of the waitlist. i asked how long the waitlist is, its about 350 students long! so the top 1/3 would be 115 students. That's huge!
i interviewed on 2/20. i'm OOS, nontrad

Last edited:
So if I am Instate and do not get the note from Dr. Solhaug and I am in the upper third of the wait list does that mean "Thank you try again next year"?:scared:

I'm wondering the same thing, too...

just called EVMS, made the top 1/3 of the waitlist. i asked how long the waitlist is, its about 350 students long! so the top 1/3 would be 115 students. That's huge!
i interviewed on 2/20. i'm OOS, nontrad

115 students? That's still too many. Now I'm losing hope...:(

115 students? That's still too many. Now I'm losing hope...:(

ya no kidding considering the class size is ~100, and 30% are oos. thats not that bad though considering the 115 students is IS and OOS students... if they fit the class proportion of 70% IS 30% out of state. that means that like 35 OOS students are in the top 1/3 of the wait list and like 80 of them are IS students.

ya no kidding considering the class size is ~100, and 30% are oos. thats not that bad though considering the 115 students is IS and OOS students... if they fit the class proportion of 70% IS 30% out of state. that means that like 35 OOS students are in the top 1/3 of the wait list and like 80 of them are IS students.

Can anyone confirm this? That would mean that each third of the wait list represents a potential class, i.e. one wait listed applicant per seat in the class?

Hi, I interviewed at EVMS also on Feb 20th. I just found out that I've been wailisted (upper 1/3). I am not surprised - considering that I was told by one of my interviewers that the class was full. But they did give me some hope when they said that the waitlist tends to move well each year.....

btw, I am an OOP (Canadian) applicant.

Can anyone confirm this? That would mean that each third of the wait list represents a potential class, i.e. one wait listed applicant per seat in the class?

I can say for certain that the total waitlist size is 350. So it follows that each 1/3 would be 115 or so. But that part about the breakdown of the list being 30% OOS 70% IS was pure speculation on my part. Maybe the next person who calls in to check their status can ask that question. The lady on the phone was very helpful and answered every question I asked.

It does make sense, though, that the each 1/3 of the waitlist would be enough students to fill a class. Students have posted that last year the some students from the middle 1/3 waitlist made it into the class. During my interviews, an assistant dean of admissions from another school said that about 40% of admitted students matriculate at an average school, so if EVMS fits this template then it would take the 100 or so students already admitted, plus another one-and-a-half thirds of the wait list.

Sure, my analysis is loaded with assumptions, but hey, its fun being optimistic :)

Last edited:
During my interviews, an assistant dean of admissions from another school said that about 40% of admitted students matriculate at an average school, so if EVMS fits this template then it would take the 100 or so students already admitted, plus another one-and-a-half thirds of the wait list.

I have no special knowledge about the WL (I'm on it myself). But I do have some real acceptance #s from USNews: last year EVMS accepted 196 IS students, and 72 matriculated (37%); they accepted 109 OOS, and 38 matriculated (35%). Since the matriculation rates of IS and OOS were almost identical, both the acceptance pool and the final class ended up about 65% IS/35% OOS.

However, I think I remember Dr. Solhaug saying at the interview day that, due to higher state funding, they are now expected to have a higher proportion of IS in the class (70/30?). Did anyone else hear this at their interview?

I have no special knowledge about the WL (I'm on it myself). But I do have some real acceptance #s from USNews: last year EVMS accepted 196 IS students, and 72 matriculated (37%); they accepted 109 OOS, and 38 matriculated (35%). Since the matriculation rates of IS and OOS were almost identical, both the acceptance pool and the final class ended up about 65% IS/35% OOS.

However, I think I remember Dr. Solhaug saying at the interview day that, due to higher state funding, they are now expected to have a higher proportion of IS in the class (70/30?). Did anyone else hear this at their interview?

I don't know where I heard it, but I also was under the impression that its 70/30 this year...

Dr. Solhaug mentioned to me that evms could be increasing its class size to about 120 for the class of 2013.

Anyone have hotel recommendations aside from the ones on the EVMS website? I tried the Sheraton which is $99/night but they said they couldn't provide any transportation.

Hi Guys,
Interviewed at EVMS about a week and a half ago and called and found out I'm in the upper 1/3 of the WL. Hopefully the WL moves in the coming months. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.