-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by bozz
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I'm so tempted to call, but I'm going to wait until after Tulane on Friday. I don't want to find out either way (accepted and I won't care as much about Tulane, waitlisted and I'll feel too much pressure).
Well I caved in and called....
And I'm accepted! Whooooo! Would have never dreamed it would come this fast!
And I'm accepted! Whooooo! Would have never dreamed it would come this fast!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I caved in and called....
And I'm accepted! Whooooo! Would have never dreamed it would come this fast!
Congrats man. It makes interviewing so much less stressful. Now good luck on the next one👍
Well I caved in and called....
And I'm accepted! Whooooo! Would have never dreamed it would come this fast!
Congrats my fellow wahoo!
does anyone know whether evms offers finaid other than loans? either need or merit based?
are any instaters still waiting for a secondary?
yes they said they offer several scholarships and grants varying from 500-10000/yr, eligibility varies based on the specific grantdoes anyone know whether evms offers finaid other than loans? either need or merit based?
i stayed here, http://www.thetazewell.com/ , it worked out ok except you have to pay to park, there are public city run parking decks a block or two away. On interview day you park at the vistors parking deck which is right across from lewish hall and pay, it was $6 for me.
For those looking for a place to stay, the Sheraton Waterside Hotel has an EVMS rate that's pretty decent. You have to call and ask the front desk about it. Also, they provide free shuttle transportation if they're not already in use. It's a great deal and generally the rooms have a great view of the water/city.
I submitted my verified primary to EVMS on the sep. 2nd.
Received request to fill out supplemental today (do they take this long w/everyone?)
I cranked that bad boy out, and mailed it today itself.
How are much chances for an interview?
I have a 3.6 gpa with a 31 MCAT and really extensive clinical experience.
-Dom Fowler
Received request to fill out supplemental today (do they take this long w/everyone?)
I cranked that bad boy out, and mailed it today itself.
How are much chances for an interview?
I have a 3.6 gpa with a 31 MCAT and really extensive clinical experience.
-Dom Fowler
Does anyone know if it is possible to obtain residency if your husband/wife moves there with you and obtains a full-time job so that during the second year you get to pay in-state tuition?
Virginia is really strict on in-state status. I doubt that this would work unfortunately, but it might be a good idea to email the admissions office and see if it would.
Yah. You maintain your status that you used to apply. That is, if you apply out of state, you are out of state all 4 years no matter what. I asked for myself as well and unfortunately, and that's the case.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I caved in and called....
And I'm accepted! Whooooo! Would have never dreamed it would come this fast!
That is FANTASTIC...congrats!!!
heya! Yah, I'm a student this year at EVMS. I'm an MD/MPH and will be graduating with the class of 2013. I've set up an allopathic class thread for the class of 2013 so please do visit it and any questions you have can be posted there.
Good luck to everyone in the application process. EVMS is a great place =)
Good luck to everyone in the application process. EVMS is a great place =)
what is the minimum amount of time after an interview would you guys recommend waiting before calling and asking your status?
To menelaus84,
I have an interview with EVMS on the 10th of October. I really like the school and it's strong focus on early clinical practice and its commitment to reaching and enriching the community. EVMS appears to have a close-knit community, something that is often lacking in bigger academic institutions. I am trying to read more into EVMS and the Hamptons area before my interview. So far I only have the EVMS website to refer to. Do you know any other places where I can get good information? I appreciate your input and hope I will be fortunate enough to receive an admission to EVMS
I have an interview with EVMS on the 10th of October. I really like the school and it's strong focus on early clinical practice and its commitment to reaching and enriching the community. EVMS appears to have a close-knit community, something that is often lacking in bigger academic institutions. I am trying to read more into EVMS and the Hamptons area before my interview. So far I only have the EVMS website to refer to. Do you know any other places where I can get good information? I appreciate your input and hope I will be fortunate enough to receive an admission to EVMS

Last edited:
Hey Sushi,
I tried to look for the same thing when I was interviewing, but unfortunately, the only things you'll find will be on the website or from what other students tell you. Another thing to do is to do a google search and occasionally you'll find news on the school. Another thing to know is not only will you have to like the school but you'll also have to like the surrounding area. I also suggest doing some research about Norfolk. That might help you out a bit. Good luck on the interview! I think I interviewed that same week in Oct last year =)
With regards to calling about your decision after interviews, I suggest waiting at least 2 weeks.
Good luck everyone!
I tried to look for the same thing when I was interviewing, but unfortunately, the only things you'll find will be on the website or from what other students tell you. Another thing to do is to do a google search and occasionally you'll find news on the school. Another thing to know is not only will you have to like the school but you'll also have to like the surrounding area. I also suggest doing some research about Norfolk. That might help you out a bit. Good luck on the interview! I think I interviewed that same week in Oct last year =)
With regards to calling about your decision after interviews, I suggest waiting at least 2 weeks.
Good luck everyone!
3.3sci 3.43cum (strong upward trend)
10bs 10ps 9vr
Good EC's w/ clinical experience
NY resident
Thank you!!
Well I'm not sure what to tell you. But I can give you my info, and you can use that as reference.
I have a 3.65 cgpa and 3.57 bcpm gpa, and 31 MCAT (9,11,11)
I submitted my verified application to EVMS on sep 2nd. I got a request from them to fill out a supplemental on sep 30th. So it took them 28 days to go over my primary.
Hope that helps!!
-Dom
Edit: I'm also oos
Out of curiosity... any out of state interviewees get accepted yet?
Yes🙂
OOS, waitlist middle 1/3 of the list, I called today, interviewed on 9/24, I really liked EVMS too 🙁
OOS, waitlist middle 1/3 of the list, I called today, interviewed on 9/24, I really liked EVMS too 🙁
I'm sorry to hear that you got waitlisted! I have an interview there on Wednesday so I'm starting to get geared up for it now...
Good luck on your interview.I'm sorry to hear that you got waitlisted! I have an interview there on Wednesday so I'm starting to get geared up for it now...
I was very impressed by EVMS on my interview day.Redrumi, I was also really impressed with EVMS when I interviewed there this past Friday, Oct. 10th. I hope I get in. On a brighter note, the admissions people said the majority of the class comes from the waitlist, so there's still hope. Do you know how stringent it is to get an acceptance? I'm also OOS. 

just joining the ranks of the OOS interviewees with this post 😀
i havent scheduled the interview yet...but so far they gave me two options of 11/12 & 11/19.
Im trying to determine how I am going to afford one plane ride to this area cuz i have to be in DC around this time period as well...
Im trying to determine how I am going to afford one plane ride to this area cuz i have to be in DC around this time period as well...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so they interview every Wednesday and Friday. November is pretty much booked right now. December is open though.
AND
they have a student host program...man I love those things...talk about cutting down on expenses! 👍
AND
they have a student host program...man I love those things...talk about cutting down on expenses! 👍
Congrats Matt! I think you're going to do well this application cycle. EVMS is great! GL, maybe we'll be classmate next year, hehe 

thanks sushi =]Congrats Matt! I think you're going to do well this application cycle. EVMS is great! GL, maybe we'll be classmate next year, hehe![]()
I've NEVER been to any place north of Miami on the east coast! So I'm gonna try to treat this trip as a vacation/interview if possible.
BTW does it snow in Norfolk? I mean, it's right on the coastline so I'm imagining not???
thanks sushi =]
I've NEVER been to any place north of Miami on the east coast! So I'm gonna try to treat this trip as a vacation/interview if possible.
BTW does it snow in Norfolk? I mean, it's right on the coastline so I'm imagining not???
according to the students there, it's snows a little during the winters, but nothing crazy. nothing like a real east coast city with higher latitude.
This will give you a good idea of the weather curve in Norfolk:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...graph/USVA0557?from=tenDay_bottomnav_business
I'm up here in Boston and can't wait to get to warmer weather.
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trav...graph/USVA0557?from=tenDay_bottomnav_business
I'm up here in Boston and can't wait to get to warmer weather.
Same here! It's really awesome to get the acceptance in writing. Although it's at my parents house, so I just had my mom read it to me. Either way it feels great!Just got the official acceptance today in the mail, though the letter was dated yesterday (Oct. 15). Good luck everyone![]()
EVMS is also my top choice. I was wondering how long did you wait until you called the admissions office to see if you're accepted, waitlisted, or the other terrible outcome? Thanks, I'm nervous to find out, but I I think I need to wait a bit longer since I interviewed 10/10
EVMS is also my top choice. I was wondering how long did you wait until you called the admissions office to see if you're accepted, waitlisted, or the other terrible outcome? Thanks, I'm nervous to find out, but I I think I need to wait a bit longer since I interviewed 10/10
3 weeks. So friday or monday of this week, give em a call
awesome, i'll see you there!Hey I just got an interview invitation and I signed up for December 3rd. Does anyone know how to prepare for these interviews?
i hear that these are stress interviews. which basically means they ask a bunch of ethical questions. be sure to check out the interview feedback to get a feeling of what you might encounter on interview day so youre not too stressed out or surprised.
I had a good time at my interview. Stand your ground, when they ask a series of questions to try and see if you crack under pressure. Hopefully, I did well enough to warrant and acceptance. I find out this week, but will call after I finish my next two interviews. Don't want the verdict to affect my interviews.
Last edited:
Mine wasn't a stress interview, I thought it actually was one of my best interviews, but I ended up waitlisted. Maybe I should have been stressed? hehe
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EVMS is also my top choice. I was wondering how long did you wait until you called the admissions office to see if you're accepted, waitlisted, or the other terrible outcome? Thanks, I'm nervous to find out, but I I think I need to wait a bit longer since I interviewed 10/10
hey sushi- i also interviewed on that same date and called today to find out, and they already had a decision for me!
I interviewed on 10/15 and was told to wait 2-3 weeks before calling to find out a decision. After day seven I fought to not pick up the phone. Friday the 24th at 2 pm I lost the battle....accepted. I've been waiting a long time to write this post. ACCEPTED. I applied last year and didn't receive a secondary from EVMS and ended up on one other waitlist. I put one foot in front of the other and finally reached my goal. Good luck to those of you who wait. I know how it feels.
The last three years... 🙂 🙄
😕 🙁 🙂 
The last three years... 🙂 🙄
😕 🙁 🙂 
Congratulations, must feel great! 🙂I interviewed on 10/15 and was told to wait 2-3 weeks before calling to find out a decision. After day seven I fought to not pick up the phone. Friday the 24th at 2 pm I lost the battle....accepted. I've been waiting a long time to write this post. ACCEPTED. I applied last year and didn't receive a secondary from EVMS and ended up on one other waitlist. I put one foot in front of the other and finally reached my goal. Good luck to those of you who wait. I know how it feels.
The last three years... 🙂 🙄😕 🙁 🙂
![]()
Yea they dont like me. 10/3 interview no decision.
I interviewed on 10/15 and was told to wait 2-3 weeks before calling to find out a decision. After day seven I fought to not pick up the phone. Friday the 24th at 2 pm I lost the battle....accepted. I've been waiting a long time to write this post. ACCEPTED. I applied last year and didn't receive a secondary from EVMS and ended up on one other waitlist. I put one foot in front of the other and finally reached my goal. Good luck to those of you who wait. I know how it feels.
The last three years... 🙂 🙄😕 🙁 🙂
![]()
Congratulations! I interviewed on 10/15 as well... I think I remember who you are (the applicant who worked with the standardized patient?). I'm so glad to hear that you've been accepted! That is AWESOME!
👍- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K