2008-2009 NYU Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So to make myself feel better, I called the admissions office today to clarify what to expect on 3/2. ONLY accepted students will be notified via email that day; rejected/waitlisted will be notified via snail mail.

The woman on the phone also confirmed that there were no February batches. They only did December, and the next is March 2nd.

Basically, prepare to be obsessively checking your email on March 2nd!:)

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the info.
it's really nice to know exactly what to expect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we just submit the FAFSA for financial aid? Based on their website, I'm assuming that they will send us more forms in April. I'm kind of surprised that they don't require anything else.

I guess they did lie to us. May be they intend to accept anyone who is still sane in March into their school.

Do we just submit the FAFSA for financial aid? Based on their website, I'm assuming that they will send us more forms in April. I'm kind of surprised that they don't require anything else.

I'm surprised too. But I'm pretty sure that only the FAFSA is need (for a March 1st deadline). Other stuff comes later.

I'm surprised too. But I'm pretty sure that only the FAFSA is need (for a March 1st deadline). Other stuff comes later.
There is a March first deadline on Fafsa?

Does NYU offer a second look day?

I guess they did lie to us. May be they intend to accept anyone who is still sane in March into their school.

Well im done for then.

Do we know the following:
1) How many offers were sent out in december? how many do we think actually accepted?
2) When do offers off the waitlist start to roll for NYU? May 15ish?

i really wish NYU could work harder on the rankings, it really isn't that bad. Certainly better than case western reserve.
NYU needs to have more research, though being in NYC means there is a space constraint with regard to lab floorarea.

Well im done for then.

Do we know the following:
1) How many offers were sent out in december? how many do we think actually accepted?
2) When do offers off the waitlist start to roll for NYU? May 15ish?
No. I think they gave us a number during my interview, but I can't recall what it was. Also, I'm certain that the next batch of acceptances will be post-marked March 2nd; the waitlist should start moving around May 15.

Members don't see this ad :)
but case is a good 10 spots ahead of nyu?

i really wish NYU could work harder on the rankings, it really isn't that bad. Certainly better than case western reserve.
NYU needs to have more research, though being in NYC means there is a space constraint with regard to lab floorarea.

I thought they were working on their ranking.

When I was on my interview day the dean said that "only a handful" of acceptances were given out in December (and for some reason "about 10%" is coming to mind but not sure if that is correct).

As far as the rankings go my interviewer said that the major reason they had dropped was due to decreased NIH funding. There has been a big push across all departments clinical and basic science for increased grant application, etc. He said they expect to work up through the rankings over the next few years. Regardless my interviewer as well as the M4s that I spoke with emphasized that NYU has a strong name when you apply for residency and that students graduating from NYU are known to have incredible clinical skills and therefore match very well.

When I was on my interview day the dean said that "only a handful" of acceptances were given out in December (and for some reason "about 10%" is coming to mind but not sure if that is correct).

As far as the rankings go my interviewer said that the major reason they had dropped was due to decreased NIH funding. There has been a big push across all departments clinical and basic science for increased grant application, etc. He said they expect to work up through the rankings over the next few years. Regardless my interviewer as well as the M4s that I spoke with emphasized that NYU has a strong name when you apply for residency and that students graduating from NYU are known to have incredible clinical skills and therefore match very well.
ive also heard this. my PI in my former lab said that I should choose nyu or sinai given the choice

Seriously? Both NYU and Case are great schools. I'm pretty sure Case beats out NYU in terms of research at the present time. Both have strong clinical training at some renowned hospitals. To say that NYU is "certainly better" than Case is just ignorant.

I hope this is true, I interviewed in November and am still hoping for an acceptance!

I am trying to find out if LOInterest or status update (conference invite etc..) at this point will help. Do you think they select the candidates as they interview or do they get together in the next two weeks to select the candidates ? Please let me know what you think. Thanks

I am trying to find out if LOInterest or status update (conference invite etc..) at this point will help. Do you think they select the candidates as they interview or do they get together in the next two weeks to select the candidates ? Please let me know what you think. Thanks

I don't know the answer to your question. However, I imagine that sending a letter/status update really can't hurt you. Since we can probably only speculate how they review their applicants, I'd just send it!

Hey All 1 week countdown from here on out!

So for those of you who sent LoIs, how did you do it? snail mail or e-mail? and if so, to whom?

when i was considering sending a LOI, i called and asked and the lady said that email is good.

Yea I am pretty sure they prefer email. At one point I called with a similar question and the lady said in a proud way "our application process is now completely paperless" so I think that is a point of pride for them.

Maybe somehow this week will go by fast......fat chance.

So does anyone know who exactly to email the LOI to?

Thanks!

to the admissions office. the email they give online.

FYI: I submitted the FAFSA and used the code for NYU School of Medicine (because that makes sense?) but I just got an email from the finaid office asking me to resubmit with the code 002785. SO if you haven't submitted your FAFSA yet, save yourself some time and use the code for the undergrad.

FYI: I submitted the FAFSA and used the code for NYU School of Medicine (because that makes sense?) but I just got an email from the finaid office asking me to resubmit with the code 002785. SO if you haven't submitted your FAFSA yet, save yourself some time and use the code for the undergrad.

i had the same thing happen to me. i corrected my SAR and put the new place and deleted the nyu med one

So if we are waiting for the March date to find out if we are in, should we go and change our already complete fafsa?

This is the code I had from the information they gave us on the interview day... maybe you interviewed before me and they changed it in the interim.

This is the code I had from the information they gave us on the interview day... maybe you interviewed before me and they changed it in the interim.
nope thats the code they gave during my interview too.. i just couldnt find the paper they gave me when i fillingup the fafsa and used what I found on the website for nyu med.

Yeah that doesn't make sense. What if you don't have acceptances yet?

Yeah that doesn't make sense. What if you don't have acceptances yet?
you should put schools you are waiting to hear back from post-interview and on waitlists. at this point if you haven't interviewed you're not going to!

So when is the official day we find out ? March 3rd?

So when is the official day we find out ? March 3rd?

The 2nd according to the status page.....it's going to be a long weekend.

The 2nd according to the status page.....it's going to be a long weekend.

Yeah it will be a long weekend, fortunately I have another interview to prepare for for sunday so I will be kept busy till at least the night before. bah!!
they have interviewed ~ 900 applicants, but what's the class size?

From US News:
Total Admissions data:
7573 applied, 960 interviewed, 435 were accepted, 160 enrolled

In State:
1454 applied, 273 interviewed, 129 were accepted, 70 enrolled

Out of State:
6119 applied, 687 interviewed, 306 were accepted, 90 enrolled

Boy, do I hope that I'm one of the really lucky 50% that gets the big YES WE WANT YOU post-interview....

<3 NYU.

On the "Welcome to NYU!" sheet they gave us on our interview day, it said decisions would be sent on or before March 1st. This is a Sunday, though. I'm guessing that was a mistake and I'll hear on Monday or Tuesday. Thoughts?

Monday March 2nd - e-mails start going out at 10:00 am EST
:luck:

Monday March 2nd - e-mails start going out at 10:00 am EST
:luck:

"Don't you put that evil on my ricky bobby!"

....all I need is an assigned time to start checking email incessantly throughout the day.

Whoa, someone's done their homework! Thanks for the insight. Monday it is.

For the poster who listed MSAR info down, can I get the numbers for Int'l students if its there?

Btw do you guys think a good number of people withdrew post interview if they accepted another school?

I am getting antsy...can't focus..on..midterm.. bah

International Students:

204 applied, 11 interviewed, 6 were accepted, 2 enrolled

55%, that looks pretty good to me :thumbup:

good luck to all waiting!! I'd love to have some of you for classmates come august! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.