2008-2009 NYU Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just interviewed last week, and loved it! I just sent a thank you note, and am intending on sending a letter of intent/interest. It is definitely my top choice of schools I've received interviews from so far, and am assuming it's my top choice of all my schools, unless I receive a late interview from another one and they just blow me away, although I'm guessing the likelihood of receiving more interviews now is pretty low. Anyway, when should I send the LOI? I don't want to send it too soon but should I send it before or after March 3rd?

Also, my status post-interview is now Final Decision Pending. Standard?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, that's standard I believe. After my interview I had the same status (and was accepted in December).

Just interviewed last week, and loved it! I just sent a thank you note, and am intending on sending a letter of intent/interest. It is definitely my top choice of schools I've received interviews from so far, and am assuming it's my top choice of all my schools, unless I receive a late interview from another one and they just blow me away, although I'm guessing the likelihood of receiving more interviews now is pretty low. Anyway, when should I send the LOI? I don't want to send it too soon but should I send it before or after March 3rd?

i would send an LOI after maybe the nexdt batch of acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know for sure if there is a batch of letters sent out end of January? Or are all letters sent out on March 3rd?

Does anyone know for sure if there is a batch of letters sent out end of January? Or are all letters sent out on March 3rd?
During my interview I was told that, another batch of applicants would likely get good news at the end of January.

For more that 24 hours, I have this strange status message on NYU Status check page. I have no idea what it means. Anyone care to speculate? Thanks!

"Your current application status is: Status Unavailable"

are acceptances sent out via email or snail mail?

does anyone know if its true that your interviewer presents you to the committee? its such a short interview(one applicant in my group was told that the interview was just to make sure you aren't a mass murderer) that I wouldn't think the interviewer would present his/her interviewees.

does anyone know if its true that your interviewer presents you to the committee? its such a short interview(one applicant in my group was told that the interview was just to make sure you aren't a mass murderer) that I wouldn't think the interviewer would present his/her interviewees.
i think that is the case. that is what my interviewer hinted at i think when he said:
"So, i will have to go in front of everyone else and tell them why I think you should be accepted, so please tell me, what is special about you?"

lol, needless to say I was a tad freaking out lol

i think that is the case. that is what my interviewer hinted at i think when he said:
"So, i will have to go in front of everyone else and tell them why I think you should be accepted, so please tell me, what is special about you?"

lol, needless to say I was a tad freaking out lol
ahhh crap. i just didnt feel as well about this one because it was so short and i wasnt able to inclusde and expand upon things i usually do. anyone else feel that way?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. My interview felt incredibly laid back and I felt like I didn't get across as much as I wanted to during the interview (and got accepted in December).

ahhh crap. i just didnt feel as well about this one because it was so short and i wasnt able to inclusde and expand upon things i usually do. anyone else feel that way?

Do NOT worry! My interview lasted for about 30min and I only got to speak about myself for like 5min, the rest of the time the interviewer talked about NYU, himself, etc. I was still accepted in December.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT worry! My interview lasted for about 30min and I only got to speak about myself for like 5min, the rest of the time the interviewer talked about NYU, himself, etc. I was still accepted in December.
dont worry agreed!! don't give up hope until they send you a rejection letter..

Same here. My interview sucked. Worst one I've had. It was probably about 10-15 minutes tops. My interviewer couldn't hear half of what I was saying (he was pretty old...). He asked me if I had heard about his research, which I hadn't. He asked me if I knew such and such at my undergrad, which I didn't. He asked if NYU was my top choice, which it wasn't. I walked out of the interview with a "what just happened...?" kind of look on my face.

I still got accepted. I wouldn't worry about it, seriously.

So I called the admission office for the "status unavailable" status message, and the lady said that I should hear back in less than 2 weeks (I interviewed in mid Sept for MSTP, but was recently rejected from MSTP but still considered for MD only).

If it happens, you heard it first that the next batch is coming in less than 2 weeks...LOL! Good luck yall!!

haha thanks for the "it doesn't matters." thats a good thing, another applicant was actually told they just want to make sure we aren't mass murderers.

anyone else have the status unavailable message?

BTW, my message reverted back to "final decision pending" after my phone call....i wonder why :laugh:

Mine still says Final Decision Pending... man, I really want to get in this time, i was right at the end of the time period for last time... i hate waiting.

so everyone has this now?

Final Decision Pending - All final decisions will be sent on March 2nd..

I just called the admissions office and the lady said that they would be sending another batch of acceptance notices in February and then a final one in March.
I asked whether they were sending any acceptances out in January and she said no.
So I guess we can relax for another week?

I'm still "Under Review"...4 months and counting wtf

Same here. My interview sucked. Worst one I've had. It was probably about 10-15 minutes tops. My interviewer couldn't hear half of what I was saying (he was pretty old...). He asked me if I had heard about his research, which I hadn't. He asked me if I knew such and such at my undergrad, which I didn't. He asked if NYU was my top choice, which it wasn't. I walked out of the interview with a "what just happened...?" kind of look on my face.

I still got accepted. I wouldn't worry about it, seriously.

That's awesome news. We have very similar stats so I'm going to be as optimistic as I can - besides, my interview was really weird; spent like 30 min talking about my childhood as a Chinese immigrant. Any other ethnic candidate had their "diversity" aspect over-emphasized a tad bit? But I thought it went well, sent a thank you follow up and he seemed pleased... heh

That's awesome news. We have very similar stats so I'm going to be as optimistic as I can - besides, my interview was really weird; spent like 30 min talking about my childhood as a Chinese immigrant. Any other ethnic candidate had their "diversity" aspect over-emphasized a tad bit? But I thought it went well, sent a thank you follow up and he seemed pleased... heh
yup!! im from siberia and we spent a bit of time on that

Paging Dr P:

I was "under review" from late July until 1/15 :eek:

Just got the "final decision pending"...complete 9/19...sent an in the area email yesterday and got SHOT DiZZOWN. mmm tastes good

my friend called today to reschedule his interview and was told that this is the last week for interviewing so i guess for all of us who havent heard, it's as good as a rejection

So for those of us who interviewed in December, are we with the feb e-mails or march? I have final decision pending for my status as well.

Is anyone who interviewed in November (my interview was Nov 17th) still getting acceptances, or any decisions for that matter? I am curious to see if they are just going through each interview date and giving selected acceptances, and then letting everyone else know at the same time in March...

Is anyone who interviewed in November (my interview was Nov 17th) still getting acceptances, or any decisions for that matter? I am curious to see if they are just going through each interview date and giving selected acceptances, and then letting everyone else know at the same time in March...
They sent out a batch before Christmas and will be sending another batch within the next few days/weeks. Everyone who does not get news after the next batch will not hear until March.

Hey medrckr I also interviewed mid-Nov and havent heard back yet. So lets wait around and see what happens... hopefully good news!

Last edited:
Oh I want to get the happy email from NYU, really badly! Hopefully soon!! :love:

Do you guys think the next batch will be notified via email and then snail mail or just snail mail?

Also anyone want to speculate on the date the next batch will be sent out? I've got my money on February 3.

I'm gonna go with February 2nd AND 3rd.
Because last time, it was over two days (monday and tuesday).
I've been thinking about NYU all this week.

I'm gonna go with February 2nd AND 3rd.
Because last time, it was over two days (monday and tuesday).
I've been thinking about NYU all this week.
i think tues and wed are more likely because maybe they make decisions on monday and then need to prepare the emails and letters? isnt that the way it was or am I forgetting?

Hey everyone, I interviewed at NYU on Thursday and wow, I really fell in love. I've never even been to NYC but I definitley could see myself there. Good Luck to everyone waiting and hopefully some of you will hear good news this week :thumbup:

i think tues and wed are more likely because maybe they make decisions on monday and then need to prepare the emails and letters? isnt that the way it was or am I forgetting?

well, the last time, the December batch I mean, went out on Monday and Tuesday,
so I figured it might be the same this time.
I think it went out in the afternoon.
It's only 10:20am!

From their website: They interview like 900 and accept 500. So don't despair.

Anyone else besides me find it funny that we are despairing over a *possible* day where we could get an acceptance? I'm not sure what makes this Monday and Tuesday any different from any others, except for the fact we are now in February and we knew no more acceptances were coming in Jan. For all we know couldn't these February acceptances be going out in 2 or even 3 weeks from now?

That being said, I will check my precious inbox consistently throughout the day; hoping, dreaming, pleading......

Couple of things, what do you guys think?

I interviewed on Thursday. As of right now they have only the materials I submitted as my application/sec/letters. My spring grades were good, but they actually dropped my GPA a couple hundredths because of a B in a class that was not all that challenging, but required alot of effort (and with a november acceptance, effort was the last thing on my mind).

So, seeing as I will know in a month anyway, do you think NOT sending in my current transcript/update would hurt me in any way? Or is sending it in along with a letter highlithing my intense interest in NYU a better option?

Also, any of you have any insight into how much of a role the interview plays in the decision? I thought mine went really well, we talked for about an hour and my interviewer seemed to enjoy it. But, he reieterated that he was NOT on the commitiee and that he liked me/my scores/my letters and thought I had a good shot "so I'll just send send it along and we'll see what happens." ? ha

Thanks for any info, sorry for the long post good luck to everyone eyeing their inboxes today! :thumbup:

Couple of things, what do you guys think?

I interviewed on Thursday. As of right now they have only the materials I submitted as my application/sec/letters. My spring grades were good, but they actually dropped my GPA a couple hundredths because of a B in a class that was not all that challenging, but required alot of effort (and with a november acceptance, effort was the last thing on my mind).

So, seeing as I will know in a month anyway, do you think NOT sending in my current transcript/update would hurt me in any way? Or is sending it in along with a letter highlithing my intense interest in NYU a better option?

Also, any of you have any insight into how much of a role the interview plays in the decision? I thought mine went really well, we talked for about an hour and my interviewer seemed to enjoy it. But, he reieterated that he was NOT on the commitiee and that he liked me/my scores/my letters and thought I had a good shot "so I'll just send send it along and we'll see what happens." ? ha

Thanks for any info, sorry for the long post good luck to everyone eyeing their inboxes today! :thumbup:
I don't know if an update letter will help that much right now since you just interviewed, those are usually better for early interviews and in some cases pre-interview. Perhaps letter of intent instead? also, do you mean fall grades? and is that the only thing you would be updating?

Also, thats strange that you would interview with someone not on the committee. I've never heard of that at any of the schools I've interviewed at!!

Anyone else besides me find it funny that we are despairing over a *possible* day where we could get an acceptance? I'm not sure what makes this Monday and Tuesday any different from any others, except for the fact we are now in February and we knew no more acceptances were coming in Jan. For all we know couldn't these February acceptances be going out in 2 or even 3 weeks from now?

That being said, I will check my precious inbox consistently throughout the day; hoping, dreaming, pleading......
No despair here. Though that is pretty funny.

I don't know if an update letter will help that much right now since you just interviewed, those are usually better for early interviews and in some cases pre-interview. Perhaps letter of intent instead? also, do you mean fall grades? and is that the only thing you would be updating?

Also, thats strange that you would interview with someone not on the committee. I've never heard of that at any of the schools I've interviewed at!!

Yea my fall grades (which could hurt a little) and a letter just detailing how much more I love the school now that I interviewed (an "I loved this and this and this, and here is why I could fit in here" letter).

Or maybe I'll just stay quiet and hope for the best next month

Yea my fall grades (which could hurt a little) and a letter just detailing how much more I love the school now that I interviewed (an "I loved this and this and this, and here is why I could fit in here" letter).

Or maybe I'll just stay quiet and hope for the best next month
I think a letter of intent works well if it is truly your top choice, this is crunch time! I don't think that they would reject you for 1 class (and resulting GPA change)- if the other ones are good. Good luck!

Hey all, December 18th interviewee here and really anxious to see if a) we hear back this week and b) if I am in the pile reviewed. Has anyone tried to call the office to inquire? If not I might just go ahead and do so.

;)
Hey all, December 18th interviewee here and really anxious to see if a) we hear back this week and b) if I am in the pile reviewed. Has anyone tried to call the office to inquire? If not I might just go ahead and do so.

Please call and let us know.
You will be my hero ;)

Last edited:
go ahead and ask about jan 8th interviewees while you're at it si'l vous plait :)

Status
Not open for further replies.