2008-2009 NYU Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I tried to get through a few times but with no luck. It seems that they are quite busy. Anyone else try to get through with luck?

ps am I the only one sick to my stomach about this? I just want an acceptance so badly.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it's not today.
Weird, I had this really strong feeling that something was gonna happen today.
Maybe it'll be tomorrow!

I really am feeling a little queasy as to what I'll find out!! I'll call tomorrow morning and report here if I find any info on when the next batch might be out and up to what interview date (roughly) they will be sending decisions on. Hold on tight everyone!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I really am feeling a little queasy as to what I'll find out!! I'll call tomorrow morning and report here if I find any info on when the next batch might be out and up to what interview date (roughly) they will be sending decisions on. Hold on tight everyone!! :luck:

You know what would be awesome - putting myself in a self induced coma.

maybe I should start taking up that life-sucking game world of warcraft.

You know what would be awesome - putting myself in a self induced coma.

maybe I should start taking up that life-sucking game world of warcraft.
That's a very subtle hint.

I really hope no one here is losing their home, missing class, or failing classes because of the application process.

That's a very subtle hint.

I really hope no one here is losing their home, missing class, or failing classes because of the application process.

Hahaha... too late.

I wonder if we'll get to know this week. Interviewed Dec. 5th *crosses fingers*

Why is NYU ranked so low (in the 30s) on USNEWS?
The matriculant average MCAT score is surely on par with Northwestern

I'm so confused. I just called, asked about when the next batch of decisions may be, and they told me that there will *not* be another batch of acceptances between now and March 2nd :(

The person I talked to wasn't sure though, so she was asking someone else "have we already sent out..." and the other lady just seemed to say "no, the last batch will be sent March 2nd"

Are you sure about this? I thought I heard on my interview that there would be at least one set of acceptances going out in jan/feb - I guess either we all misunderstood, or they've decided not to do that?

Either way that's disappointing to hear, I guess we'll all have to just wait it out for an extra month.

seriously? jesus, this is killing me.

Why is NYU ranked so low (in the 30s) on USNEWS?
The matriculant average MCAT score is surely on par with Northwestern

Mean MCAT and GPA aren't the only factors that affect US News rankings (but FYI Northwestern has a mean matriculated MCAT of 35 whereas NYU's is a 32). On my interview day, I got the vibe that NYU has been dropping in rankings over the past few years due to a decrease in NIH dollars (a big part of USNWR rankings). I think they are aware of this and are trying to get more funding for research in the near future.

I wonder what percent of acceptances have gone out already...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so confused. I just called, asked about when the next batch of decisions may be, and they told me that there will *not* be another batch of acceptances between now and March 2nd :(

The person I talked to wasn't sure though, so she was asking someone else "have we already sent out..." and the other lady just seemed to say "no, the last batch will be sent March 2nd"

Seriously?! :thumbdown: :(

My apathy about every school only increases with how much time they make me wait post-interview. I was really starting to count on getting some sort of news from NYU in the next week or so, and now I'm going to have to spend all of February in limbo too?

I just don't see why some schools have a turn-around time of a week or less throughout the entire season and other schools take months to make a decision and notify applicants.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just getting tired of all this. :oops:

maybe the batch we have been waiting for was sent out and none of us got in? or she was confused and the batch we are waiting for has been decided and is in the process of being sent, however there will not be another between now and march 2nd

maybe the batch we have been waiting for was sent out and none of us got in? or she was confused and the batch we are waiting for has been decided and is in the process of being sent, however there will not be another between now and march 2nd

Good point. Maybe I'll believe this for now :luck:

called to make sure, and they're definitely not sending out any more decisions until march 2nd. aggghhhhhhhhh

then i dont understand what all that business about jan/feb was about? someone just make it that up?

i just called to verify this piece of news, and the woman said she couldn't confirm either way... because she didn't know :/

Thanks ami. ^
then i dont understand what all that business about jan/feb was about? someone just make it that up?

I think very needs to relax a bit. More than one person, including myself, was told that they would be sending acceptances late January (some told Feb) during our interview.

It would be nice if they didn't torture those who they plan on rejecting. Either way everyone who has not heard, can start counting down the days.

This might actually not be bad news.

So someone correct me if I am wrong: For at least the last few years, NYU has a very high acceptance:interview ratio. Close to 50% I believe according to USNews. Now someone on these boards said that this was due to the fact that they sent out decisions very late and by then most students have accepted an offer elsewhere and just decline the acceptance.

And that same person said that they were going to remedy this by sending acceptances a lot earlier, but if that small batch that went out on December is all, then aren't they going to have a very similar situation to last year? Doesn't that mean good news for us in terms of our post-interview chances?

Hm someone else wanna call and maybe ask if they have any info on what % of the offers have already been made? :) medhopeful - I hope you're right!! And thanks guys for double checking. I called as soon as I got up this morning and wasn't sure if I just misphrased my question or if I just misunderstood them because I was still kinda sleepy... :p

hehe good call, maybe if we harass them enough, they'll feel compelled to send out decisions

I like M3dhop3ful's logic. I will try to be patient.

Today, I withdrew from most of my pre-interview and post-interview holds (including CCLCM post-interview hold). Still waiting for couple of post-interview decisions including NYU.

Hope we all get into NYU.

This might actually not be bad news.

So someone correct me if I am wrong: For at least the last few years, NYU has a very high acceptance:interview ratio. Close to 50% I believe according to USNews. Now someone on these boards said that this was due to the fact that they sent out decisions very late and by then most students have accepted an offer elsewhere and just decline the acceptance.

And that same person said that they were going to remedy this by sending acceptances a lot earlier, but if that small batch that went out on December is all, then aren't they going to have a very similar situation to last year? Doesn't that mean good news for us in terms of our post-interview chances?

These were my thoughts exactly.

Odd they would break from their philosophy of becoming semi-rolling because on the interview day one the secretaries pointed out to me how unhappy NYU was with the fact they had to give out so many accepts to fill their class. I think this accept to matriculate ratio may influence rankings in some way.

I think this accept to matriculate ratio may influence rankings in some way.

It does. Many schools are playing the silly game where they fill up the waitlist (or just don't notify at all as with NYU) and try to accept as few people as possible outright in order to keep this ratio low. Makes things difficult for the rest of us.

But according to our reasoning, it is very likely that NYU will have to send out a lot of offers once again this year..I thought they wanted to remedy this?? bahhh

why are these schools only just doing this now (this year) i wonder?

To test to see who can mentally survive this game of admissions! But meh, in all seriousness, a bit saddened that I have to wait till march to hear from nyu :/

So was there only one round of admissions then in December? Craziness...

To test to see who can mentally survive this game of admissions! But meh, in all seriousness, a bit saddened that I have to wait till march to hear from nyu :/

Well, thanks for calling them! Let's cross our fingers that our wait is nicely rewarded in March

seriously?! :thumbdown: :(

my apathy about every school only increases with how much time they make me wait post-interview. I was really starting to count on getting some sort of news from nyu in the next week or so, and now i'm going to have to spend all of february in limbo too?

I just don't see why some schools have a turn-around time of a week or less throughout the entire season and other schools take months to make a decision and notify applicants.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just getting tired of all this. :oops:
qft

It does. Many schools are playing the silly game where they fill up the waitlist (or just don't notify at all as with NYU) and try to accept as few people as possible outright in order to keep this ratio low. Makes things difficult for the rest of us.

So wait..is the number of acceptances that schools put on their websites (something like 500 for NYU) only the number that were outright accepted?? Does this number not include people taken off the waitlist? Come to think of it, I guess at any school there's not going to be a ton of people getting in off the waitlist, but just curious.

So wait..is the number of acceptances that schools put on their websites (something like 500 for NYU) only the number that were outright accepted?? Does this number not include people taken off the waitlist? Come to think of it, I guess at any school there's not going to be a ton of people getting in off the waitlist, but just curious.

I believe that it includes the people taken off the waitlist.

These were my thoughts exactly.

Odd they would break from their philosophy of becoming semi-rolling because on the interview day one the secretaries pointed out to me how unhappy NYU was with the fact they had to give out so many accepts to fill their class. I think this accept to matriculate ratio may influence rankings in some way.
i think these schools are hoping by waitlisting the majority of students or making them wait most of the students that have already been accepted to their top choice or no longer have interest will withdraw so they lower the number of acceptances offered.

i think these schools are hoping by waitlisting the majority of students or making them wait most of the students that have already been accepted to their top choice or no longer have interest will withdraw so they lower the number of acceptances offered.

I get that reasoning too.

It was explained to me that since NYU isn't a super super fantastic school like Cornell, Columbia, Yale, ect top 10's... that are on non-rolling cycles they cannot grab up applicants in March when they are getting accepts from other various good schools too, they just couldn't compete. So the thought was to offer some non-rolling accepts from NYU until march to wow and sweep up some of the people they could lose, who by time March comes around may stick with NYU.

I get that reasoning too.

It was explained to me that since NYU isn't a super super fantastic school like Cornell, Columbia, Yale, ect top 10's... that are on non-rolling cycles they cannot grab up applicants in March when they are getting accepts from other various good schools too, they just couldn't compete. So the thought was to offer some non-rolling accepts from NYU until march to wow and sweep up some of the people they could lose, who by time March comes around may stick with NYU.

Ok right I get this, but what we are saying here is that they just set a relatively small batch of acceptances. So unless they are going to send more acceptances they might as well have a number of offers sent out similar to last year..UNLESS

and someone correct me if I may be wrong. I am not too familiar with what happens after you receive an offer. Perhaps there were people who outright accepted NYU offer in december and dropped all other schools, they didn't feel a need to send out any more from now until march. Or is it rare to accept an offer right away and not wait until may?

Great. I just stressed myself out.

Perhaps there were people who outright accepted NYU offer in december and dropped all other schools, they didn't feel a need to send out any more from now until march. Or is it rare to accept an offer right away and not wait until may?

Great. I just stressed myself out.

Hm... I thought that people can take up an offer from a school but then also take an offer from another school also. So people can hold multiple acceptances... From the point of view of those who have no acceptances, this is a crazzy thought, but this is probably so that they can compare financial packages later this semester and *then* make a decision by May.

Also, I'm not sure that at this point, NYU has the ability to see how many acceptances its prospective students. I know they can by May, just to make sure that no students are holding 1+ acceptances...

(But... everything I just said are "I think..."-statements. Not "I know that..."-statements)

Haha and that's ok. I do it too. People call me a stress ball.

Hm... I thought that people can take up an offer from a school but then also take an offer from another school also. So people can hold multiple acceptances... From the point of view of those who have no acceptances, this is a crazzy thought, but this is probably so that they can compare financial packages later this semester and *then* make a decision by May.

Also, I'm not sure that at this point, NYU has the ability to see how many acceptances its prospective students. I know they can by May, just to make sure that no students are holding 1+ acceptances...

(But... everything I just said are "I think..."-statements. Not "I know that..."-statements)

Haha and that's ok. I do it too. People call me a stress ball.
Schools only hear about your acceptances when AMCAS releases that info in the spring or when you let them know. I pretty sure NYU has no way of getting that information at this point.

Schools only hear about your acceptances when AMCAS releases that info in the spring or when you let them know. I pretty sure NYU has no way of getting that information at this point.

yeah i believe the date is march 15??

and Im soo happy NYU accepted some i December.. if i had to wait until march I would have gone insane but now I hope i freed up some spots in other schools by withdrawing :)

good luck to you guys still waiting!! I hope you hear only good news in March.. :xf::luck:

yeah i believe the date is march 15??

and Im soo happy NYU accepted some i December.. if i had to wait until march I would have gone insane but now I hope i freed up some spots in other schools by withdrawing :)

good luck to you guys still waiting!! I hope you hear only good news in March.. :xf::luck:
May 15th is the cutoff date for holding multiple acceptances and when schools can see who has multiple acceptances, march 15th is when most schools send out acceptances (if they haven't already)

I think people hold multiple acceptances so that they can gather informatin and make the best choice. Sometimes this probably involves the second look day I would imagine. But I've heard that it's considered rude to hold more than 2-3 at a time? Anyone?

I think people hold multiple acceptances so that they can gather informatin and make the best choice. Sometimes this probably involves the second look day I would imagine. But I've heard that it's considered rude to hold more than 2-3 at a time? Anyone?

Says who? For me, a big part of my decision will lie in financial aid packages. I'm not giving up any of my current acceptances until then. Considering how important potential debt is, I don't think I'm being inconsiderate for holding 6 acceptances.

Says who? For me, a big part of my decision will lie in financial aid packages. I'm not giving up any of my current acceptances until then. Considering how important potential debt is, I don't think I'm being inconsiderate for holding 6 acceptances.

Agreed. I've declined acceptances at schools that, even if offered a free ride, I could not see myself attending over my other acceptances. Other than that, I'm holding acceptances for financial aid packages and potentially second look weekends.

ditto, I'm holding 4 now waiting for schools to show me the money!!!

I stand corrected. That's just what I was told by my premed office. Sorry?

May 15th is the cutoff date for holding multiple acceptances and when schools can see who has multiple acceptances, march 15th is when most schools send out acceptances (if they haven't already)

i meant march 15 is the day schools find out the acceptances that you are holding... i seem to remember hearing that randomly at some point during the cycle

Last edited:
i meant march 15 is the day schools find out the acceptances that you are holding... i seem to remember hearing that randomly at some point during the cycle

Yeah I heard that too at a couple of places too. At Georgetown Ms. Sullivan told all of us mid-March they will know where we stand. I think even LizzyM confirmed this.

indirect acknowledgment of NYU Acceptance: Girl told me last night that the energy passing through her let her know that I would get into NYU.

the rumored feb. batches are intangible, however find you local energy guru to find out the hopefully good news!

indirect acknowledgment of NYU Acceptance: Girl told me last night that the energy passing through her let her know that I would get into NYU.

the rumored feb. batches are intangible, however find you local energy guru to find out the hopefully good news!

haha. I hope you're not being serious here. or are you? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.