2008-2009 Stony Brook Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

genswim24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got the e-mail asking me to complete the application

Here is the link
http://www.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org/workfiles/som/Supplemental Application 2009.pdf

3 essay questions- please limit responses to one page per question

12) In your opinion, what contemporary medical issue needs to be addressed in the U.S. Healthcare system and Why?

13) Describe an obstacle you've overcome and how it has defined you.

14) In Your intellectual development and preparation for a medical career, which non-science college course has been most valuable?Why?

Members don't see this ad.

Beat me to it! G'luck!

-BP

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, I'm struggling with the third one, I don't have many courses to choose from, and none seems to stand out.

Last edited:
lol. I can't believe they want us to make copies of the application for them. Well, there's a first for everything, I guess.

They are expecting a page per question? UGHHH

They are expecting a page per question? UGHHH

They're not getting it. I finished my first essay and it was about 2/3 of a page. I will be glad if I can get the last essay that long.

OMG I dont want to do this one, 3 pages of essays that I dont have stuff already written for?!

I am seriously losing steam...

This is the 19th I've received, the 21st I've worked on... I used to come home from work so motivated, but now I really just want to go watch TV.

is the limit single spaced or double spaced?

When I first saw the application I got really excited because it looked like there were no boxes to write essays in...
Then just when I set it aside to be mailed off today, I noticed the three huge essay questions at the bottom of the page in bold - Yuck!

Does anyone have the recent MCAT/GPA stats for Stony Brook?

When I first saw the application I got really excited because it looked like there were no boxes to write essays in...
Then just when I set it aside to be mailed off today, I noticed the three huge essay questions at the bottom of the page in bold - Yuck!

same thing happened to me, I was like 'YES no essays', but then I saw that there were 3 one page essays with topics that I have not written on yet. ;/

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused. The app says there is a 1 page limit but does that mean single or double spaced? I called earlier and they said "it doesn't matter"? What is everyone doing?

I am confused. The app says there is a 1 page limit but does that mean single or double spaced? I called earlier and they said "it doesn't matter"? What is everyone doing?

I wrote mine in single spaced for all three essays. My first and last one were only about half a page after i cut out some info. My second essay was closer to 3/4 of a page. Hope that info helps, good luck

I wrote mine in single spaced for all three essays. My first and last one were only about half a page after i cut out some info. My second essay was closer to 3/4 of a page. Hope that info helps, good luck

I also went with single-spaced. One of my essays is about a page, and the others will likely be a bit shorter.

OMG I dont want to do this one, 3 pages of essays that I dont have stuff already written for?!

Nowhere does it say you have to write 3 pages. It says limit each of your responses to a page, meaning it can be less than a page each.....

Nowhere does it say you have to write 3 pages. It says limit each of your responses to a page, meaning it can be less than a page each.....

I am definitely not writing 3 pages. After all my other secondaries having half-page limits at best I think I'm now programmed to be short and sweet. I'm expecting about a half page (font 12, single spaced) for the first and second with the third being a bit longer.

-BP

Hey guys,
I have a quick question. Maybe its just me reading a little too much into it but how should I interpret the first essay question of the secondary when they ask for which medical issue needs to be addressed?

Does medical issue mean a non-administrative issue like a particular disease or does the term medical issue include administrative issues like the problems with managed care?

Sorry if I'm confusing you all but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey guys,
I have a quick question. Maybe its just me reading a little too much into it but how should I interpret the first essay question of the secondary when they ask for which medical issue needs to be addressed?

Does medical issue mean a non-administrative issue like a particular disease or does the term medical issue include administrative issues like the problems with managed care?

Sorry if I'm confusing you all but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I took it as more about the administrative issues such as the availability of medicare. That's just my take on the question.

Last edited:
What a stupid ****ing secondary. Maybe not everyone has a major disaster in their life to overcome. Good thing you weed those people out because they'll never make it as doctors.

And good thing I can talk about useful classes like irish history. It really helped define my life and made me realize that I want to go into liver transplants.

I'm still having trouble getting motivated for this. I feel like, with so much room, I should take the time to make these essays poetic and pleasant to read, not like the 250 word essays that have to be to the point. Yet I just don't have the energy to write something inspired. I guess I used up all my inspiration on the last 19 apps.

I'm still having trouble getting motivated for this. I feel like, with so much room, I should take the time to make these essays poetic and pleasant to read, not like the 250 word essays that have to be to the point. Yet I just don't have the energy to write something inspired. I guess I used up all my inspiration on the last 19 apps.

same here...I've had this secondary longer than any other and still can't get myself to sit down and write it...

same here...I've had this secondary longer than any other and still can't get myself to sit down and write it...

I'm going to finish it this weekend! At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

Good luck!

Do they really accept very few OOS?

They do take OOS, but from what I recall (I left my MSAR at work) they are not as friendly towards OOS as the rest of the SUNY's.

Did not finish it over the weekend............ :scared:

Verified on the 7th, still no secondaries.....

Hi guys,

For essay #3, I would much rather write about one of my graduate courses. I did a masters in public health, and I can sing praises for many of those courses. I truthfully can't say that any of my undergraduate non-science classes were valuable. How do you think the committee would react? Thanks!

Hi guys,

For essay #3, I would much rather write about one of my graduate courses. I did a masters in public health, and I can sing praises for many of those courses. I truthfully can't say that any of my undergraduate non-science classes were valuable. How do you think the committee would react? Thanks!

um...i don't think they'll throw out your app just because you went out of the box a little. I couldn't find a good class to talk about either and used my engineering design course, which is kind of a science course. the course taught mostly design and was not science based at all, and I made that clear in my application. Just make sure you mention that you feel your most recent experience in grad. school has had more of an impact on you than undergrad, and you should be ok. Still, it's a risk.

um...i don't think they'll throw out your app just because you went out of the box a little. I couldn't find a good class to talk about either and used my engineering design course, which is kind of a science course. the course taught mostly design and was not science based at all, and I made that clear in my application. Just make sure you mention that you feel your most recent experience in grad. school has had more of an impact on you than undergrad, and you should be ok. Still, it's a risk.
Yeah, it's such a judgment call, either be honest or bs. I figure as long as you can explain yourself and you feel good about the essay, it'll be fine. Good to know I'm not the only one trying to stretch the question.

lol. I can't believe they want us to make copies of the application for them. Well, there's a first for everything, I guess.

Do we actually need to "photocopy" as the directions say? Can we not simply print and fill it out twice? What a pain.

Do we actually need to "photocopy" as the directions say? Can we not simply print and fill it out twice? What a pain.

I printed twice...easier than finding and paying to use a copy machine when it only took a minute or two to fill out the form again. I really doubt it will be an issue.

13) Describe an obstacle you've overcome and how it has defined you.

What do you guys think about this as a possible response to this question: I talk about losing weight in college and getting in shape. It was actually a major accomplishment in my life (losing 50lbs is not easy) and definitely changed me for the better, gave me confidence etc... Plus I never had cancer when I was six so I have nothing else to write about.

And what are the thoughts about making it semi-humorous? Should I try or just not bother as they'll probably think I'm a goofball ****up.

What do you guys think about this as a possible response to this question: I talk about losing weight in college and getting in shape. It was actually a major accomplishment in my life (losing 50lbs is not easy) and definitely changed me for the better, gave me confidence etc... Plus I never had cancer when I was six so I have nothing else to write about.

I think it's a great topic to talk about, unique and shows determination.

I think it's a great topic to talk about, unique and shows determination.

Awesome thanks.

As for this one:

14) In Your intellectual development and preparation for a medical career, which non-science college course has been most valuable?Why?

I can literally count the number of non science/engineering/math courses I've taken on one hand. Modern Russian History, Modern Latin American History, Modern Irish History, and Philosophy 101.

Does non science really mean non-engineering/math? Doesn't seem fair that amcas can not count engineering classes towards BCPM gpa but then counting engineering as science for this.

Oh ****, I talked about engineering classes importance in medicine in my personal statement already. Dammit :bang:

Awesome thanks.

As for this one:

I can literally count the number of non science/engineering/math courses I've taken on one hand. Modern Russian History, Modern Latin American History, Modern Irish History, and Philosophy 101.

Does non science really mean non-engineering/math? Doesn't seem fair that amcas can not count engineering classes towards BCPM gpa but then counting engineering as science for this.

Oh ****, I talked about engineering classes importance in medicine in my personal statement already. Dammit :bang:

I KNOWW, I'm in engineering as well and had even less non science choices than you: speech, freshman english, economics. I ended up using my engineering design class as the topic for this question (see previous post on this issue). If you could somehow link history to the question, that's best, but if you'd rather pick an engineering course that's not so sicence based, I think they'll be ok with it. Again, a risk.

I KNOWW, I'm in engineering as well and had even less non science choices than you: speech, freshman english, economics. I ended up using my engineering design class as the topic for this question (see previous post on this issue). If you could somehow link history to the question, that's best, but if you'd rather pick an engineering course that's not so sicence based, I think they'll be ok with it. Again, a risk.

I took Game Theory, maybe theres a way of tying that into medicine?:confused: I think of it as math though even though it was a cross listed econ class. Is math science?

I took Game Theory, maybe theres a way of tying that into medicine?:confused: I think of it as math though even though it was a cross listed econ class. Is math science?

I think math is actually counted in your science GPA...or maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm right, it's probably more science related than engineering...

I think math is actually counted in your science GPA...or maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm right, it's probably more science related than engineering...

Math is more science related than engineering? :confused:

Is econ science?

Math is more science related than engineering? :confused:

Is econ science?

I know it makes no logical sense, but in my opinion, math is considered science. I don't think econ is science though...

I know it makes no logical sense, but in my opinion, math is considered science. I don't think econ is science though...

bah now I just have to figure out a way game theory relates to medicine

What are you guys doing about the actual application itself since you can't type on it. Are you printing it and handwriting? That seems lame. Ideas?

What are you guys doing about the actual application itself since you can't type on it. Are you printing it and handwriting? That seems lame. Ideas?

I'm going to print out the form and write on it.

I'm also curious, when they say photocopy the app, they mean the ENTIRE app right? (Including two copies of the essay?)

Also, did you guys put one essay per page or did you fit whatever you can to each page?

Does psychology or sociology count as nonscience, even though they are SOCIAL science?

has anyone been completed yet? i mailed my app in almost 2 weeks ago and haven't heard a thing...

Does psychology or sociology count as nonscience, even though they are SOCIAL science?

Just follow what AMCAS did. If you have the class down on AMCAS as nonscience then you're free to use it.

Thats how I justified using one of my engineering classes for that essay. If AMCAS isn't going to give me the credit for it in my science GPA then they can go screw themselves, I'm using it for that essay.

Status
Not open for further replies.