2008-2009 Stony Brook Secondary Application Thread

Started by genswim24
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know why stony has not gotten back to anyone yet The office seemed pretty efficiant. Is this waiting normal compared to previous years?
 
Looking at last years threads, it appears Stony was actually pretty quick to get acceptances out. I wonder what's up this year? Maybe its that "unprecedented" number of applicants thingy again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They told us at the interview that they only plan to interview around the same number of applicants as they did last year so I don't think the number of applications would have anything to do with it
 
They told us at the interview that they only plan to interview around the same number of applicants as they did last year so I don't think the number of applications would have anything to do with it

It may though. if they plan to interview the same number of applicants but there are more to screen, naturally it takes them longer to decide who to interview, which is probably their priority now. so decision for those already interviewed gets put off?
 
At my interview they said they had sent out 40 acceptances on Oct. 15.
 
can't be, someone would have posted in the acceptance thread

actually punkun is right. i interviewed a few days after oct. 15th and the number i heard was 35 (not 40). not everyone who gets accepted posts on sdn, lol. we just think they would bc we would 😉
 
actually punkun is right. i interviewed a few days after oct. 15th and the number i heard was 35 (not 40). not everyone who gets accepted posts on sdn, lol. we just think they would bc we would 😉

I find it hard to believe that out of 35-40 premeds not one of them would post an acceptance
 
i interviewed at stony on sept 12, and im shocked i havent heard anything yet; admissions even said we would prob hear within a couple of days of oct 15. has anyone who interviewed that early heard anything from them??
 
i interviewed at stony on sept 12, and im shocked i havent heard anything yet; admissions even said we would prob hear within a couple of days of oct 15. has anyone who interviewed that early heard anything from them??

😱hey guys. i just got an acceptance package from the DHL man.:laugh::laugh::laugh: I guess i'm the first poster on SDN. which means you'll probably hear soon. i interviewed 9/18.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
okay now im really worried....

i think they send out acceptances in batches, but you shouldn't worry if you don't hear anything. chances are they just haven't reviewed your files yet. your interviewer submitted your files later could be one reason why your files are reviewer later. one person interviewed at downstate 1 day after me got accepted 2 weeks ago and I just got accepted yesterday! so keep your hopes up!👍👍👍👍👍
 
also you interviewed early. i can't imagine why they would choose to interview you as early as sept 12 if they don't think you have a serious chance of getting in. if you did ok on your interview, your chances are good.:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
 
Last edited:
wow, I just got an interview for early December, you guys are already getting acceptances...do I have any hope?
 
They've probably only sent out 10% of the acceptances they'll send out. You're fine.
 
Does anyone know how Stony Brook notifies people of post-interview waitlist and / or rejection status?
 
i really dont understand how i couldve interviewed before you guys and still not have heard. my stats are pretty competitive for stonybrook, and while one of my interviews was okay, the other one went really well. its making me really nervous that i still dont know whats going on...
 
I interviewed on 9/25 and still haven't heard anything... I'm getting kinda annoyed, seeing as decisions for ppl with much later interviews are going out (not that I'm not happy for you all!) I just want answers!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on 9/25 and still haven't heard anything... I'm getting kinda annoyed, seeing as decisions for ppl with much later interviews are going out (not that I'm not happy for you all!) I just want answers!

you should call them to see if your files have been reviewed. they're rather receptive about it. good luck!👍
 
I felt so pround of myself for finishing SB secondary a couple of days ago and now I feel like I am really behind... for those who already interviewed this yr, how were your interviews (q's, difficulty of qs, casual...)? Good luck!
 
I felt so pround of myself for finishing SB secondary a couple of days ago and now I feel like I am really behind... for those who already interviewed this yr, how were your interviews (q's, difficulty of qs, casual...)? Good luck!

So there are two interviews. You'll either get two faculty members (who are also on the adcom) or one faculty and one student. Both of my interviews were very conversational. I was asked why I wanted to study medicine (which is almost always asked) and general questions about my application. One interviewer was a little combative so i had to make sure that i make my points quickly before he throw something back at me.:laugh: The other interviewer was incredibly nice.😍

Generally you want to appear sophisticated, that you have thought through your decision and know what you want as a career.
 
are you sure both interviewers are voting members of the adcom?? I hadnt heard that before.
 
are you sure both interviewers are voting members of the adcom?? I hadnt heard that before.

yeah, i haven't heard that either. i had one student interviewer. do med students usually have voting rights on the adcom? i thought their input was just considered.
 
one of my interviewers was a bit confrontational... i have no idea what to make of the conversation. i'm hoping it was just some kind of "stress interview", since there were many things about the school that i really liked.

has anyone out there received a waitlist or rejection yet?
 
My 1st interviewer was also very nice, most laid back interview I have had actually. My 2nd interview started off very confrontational/rude which really surprised me, I think they were just trying to rattle me a bit, but it ended warmly.
 
Where did you all stay to interview at Stony Brook?

I have an interview on the 25th of NOV. and need some tips... staying in NY is friggin expensive.....

Does anyone else interview on that date? and want to splint the cost?
 
Where did you all stay to interview at Stony Brook?

I have an interview on the 25th of NOV. and need some tips... staying in NY is friggin expensive.....

Does anyone else interview on that date? and want to splint the cost?
The cheapest hotel I found that is close to stony Brook is the Holiday Inn at Ronkonkamo, NY. Get your car, hotel, and plain ticket through Travelocity or something and you'll probably save a bit of cash. Its going to be expensive though 🙁
 
I stayed at the holiday inn near macarthur airport. I used priceline.com and named my price on hotel and car and got a great deal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I stayed at a holiday inn express near the hospital. bad experience. room was uncleaned (never had this happened to me before even at a 1-star hotel) and bacon served at breakfast tasted like salted paper.😡
 
I stayed at a holiday inn express near the hospital. bad experience. room was uncleaned (never had this happened to me before even at a 1-star hotel) and bacon served at breakfast tasted like salted paper.😡

oh no...that's where I'm staying on Nov 13th!! how far was it from the school? travelling time?
 
oh no...that's where I'm staying on Nov 13th!! how far was it from the school? travelling time?

it's very close. 5 minutes on a cab from the hospital. what happened to me was probably an isolated case though. so you probably don't need to worry too much.
 
it's very close. 5 minutes on a cab from the hospital. what happened to me was probably an isolated case though. so you probably don't need to worry too much.

Ok, thanks! So we have to be there at 8am? when does the day end? I had a dream last night that people got out at 8:20pm haha
 
Status
Not open for further replies.