2022-2023 Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how long it takes to hear back from the 3ymd program after the application closed?
No idea but I applied to one as well. I'll make a note to message you in case I hear back soon

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if the admissions committee considers letters of intent from waitlisted applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Rip does that mean those of us in post II limbo or on waitlists are for sure out of the running or do they also have open applications during M1 year?
I saw that there had been acceptances given in mid march last year so I assume that we’re not for sure out of the running?

I saw that there had been acceptances given in mid march last year so I assume that we’re not for sure out of the running?

Yeah I think they are talking about the 3 Years MD program not the regular (4 years) program

Yeah I think they are talking about the 3 Years MD program not the regular (4 years) program
Yeah. I think the reason they asked is: if 3YMD is only open to accepted students, and closed at end of Feb, does that mean they already have selected their accepted class?

Yeah. I think the reason they asked is: if 3YMD is only open to accepted students, and closed at end of Feb, does that mean they already have selected their accepted class?
Every school has waitlists so no

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefully some decisions come out this week!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, for anyone awaiting a decision I came across these notes from my interview day:

What happens after an interview
- Patience is a virtue
- Committee will take 6-8 weeks to make final decision on candidacy
- Accepted (you get an email with acceptance info), Waitlist (Don’t get to waitlist until May, 25% of matriculants come from waitlist), Not offered a seat
- Encourage an open line of communication, they want you to keep them updated
- Really important updates - upload in AMP portal and also email to general email address
- A letter of intent will not change your status at the school
- If the committee has yet to make a decision and you have just got a publication, or won a major award, then update them

Hi, for anyone awaiting a decision I came across these notes from my interview day:

What happens after an interview
- Patience is a virtue
- Committee will take 6-8 weeks to make final decision on candidacy
- Accepted (you get an email with acceptance info), Waitlist (Don’t get to waitlist until May, 25% of matriculants come from waitlist), Not offered a seat
- Encourage an open line of communication, they want you to keep them updated
- Really important updates - upload in AMP portal and also email to general email address
- A letter of intent will not change your status at the school
- If the committee has yet to make a decision and you have just got a publication, or won a major award, then update them
What if we update with a publication or award, are waitlisted and then have nothing to further update on once we've already sent the letter of interest? Is it not best to wait for a post-II WL to send updates?

The response email I got from admissions confirmed that the waitlist is ranked, but that they keep it confidential. So, I would say there is just one waitlist, but there is a "priority" component to it since there is ranking. I really wish all schools were like Iowa who tells you what number on the waitlist you are. Would remove a lot of anxiety for people who don't have any acceptances and are hoping a waitlist might convert to an acceptance. But alas, that is the nature of the beast.

got an A Friday! Does the deadline by 3/23 mean we have to commit to Stony Brook, or is just an email meaning we want to secure our place in the class?
It’s just to secure your place, no need to commit until May

did any of the 3YMD applicants receive interviews? I know the last date to receive interviews is March 20th but wanted to check if anybody received anything before that1

did any of the 3YMD applicants receive interviews? I know the last date to receive interviews is March 20th but wanted to check if anybody received anything before that1
Here is the timeline for the Stony 3 year MD program! No interviews sent out until Monday and the interview period is pretty long
  1. Now through March 20: Review applications, select students to interview, notify applicants and notify RSOM of decision to interview select students, schedule interviews
  2. March 20 - April 14: Interview 3YMD candidates
  3. April 17: Select students for the 3YMD program
  4. April 17: Notify RSOM of acceptance/non-acceptance of candidates
  5. May 1: Student deadline for committing to Stony Brook

hey thanks @AstroSidekick! I received the same email as you but I understood that as interviews could be sent anytime till March 20th? Although at this point its just wondering without good reason~ we'll know by monday if anything is coming through

hey thanks @AstroSidekick! I received the same email as you but I understood that as interviews could be sent anytime till March 20th? Although at this point its just wondering without good reason~ we'll know by monday if anything is coming through
Yeah, now that I reread it, the language could imply that interviews are already sent out. But the fact that no one has mentioned getting a 3 year interviews seems unlikely given the large number of residency programs participating.

I’ll hope they send all the notification sometime soon and that Feb 28th to March 20th is the review period for the residency program.

Here is the timeline for the Stony 3 year MD program! No interviews sent out until Monday and the interview period is pretty long
  1. Now through March 20: Review applications, select students to interview, notify applicants and notify RSOM of decision to interview select students, schedule interviews
  2. March 20 - April 14: Interview 3YMD candidates
  3. April 17: Select students for the 3YMD program
  4. April 17: Notify RSOM of acceptance/non-acceptance of candidates
  5. May 1: Student deadline for committing to Stony Brook
Hey! Was this an email to all applicants or did you reach out directly? I wasn't send this info😦

is it silence on the 3YMD front for everyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
Hard to find this info elsewhere so apologies if its been asked many times, but whats the letter of intent situation here? On the WL. Think I saw somewhere "a LOI will not affect status at the school", but would want to be sure about that before I do or don't write one up.