2008-2009 UCLA Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my most important honor is recieving research fellowships two years in a row, but my most important scholarly project is my research! Can I talk about the actual award for the honor question but the details of my research for the project question? Or is it jsut all too redundant?

Also, since the non-academic activity question says "in my life" can I write about something that I did a long time ago? Or should it be recent? For example, I did a lot of acting when I was younger and it really affected my life (thats why i moved to California and on and on and on) but I haven't done it for a long time. ANy thoughts?

I'd say that talking about your fellowships is fine for the honors question. Just briefly mention why you got it, but talk more about why it was important/special to you. I'm sure there's plenty of non-redundant things you could mention about your research in the next question (details about the project, etc).

I think the acting thing is fine too. The question doesn't say anything about your college or adult years specifically, and non-academic probably means they just want to get a feeling for who you are as a person. If acting influenced who you are as a person (I know doing theater helped me with public speaking and all that), then go for it. If anything, it'll be something interesting to talk about in interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Legend
AR: AMCAS Recieved
SR: Secondary Received
SS: Secondary Sent
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite
I: Interview

jgberken: AR: 7/25, SR: ?, SS: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
disorder: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
copingmethods IS: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
funkydrmonkey: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
WilliamsF1: AR: 7/25, SR: ?, SS: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
dshnay: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
kire1820: AR: 7/25, SR: ?, SS: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Shemarty IS: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: 7/30, C: ?, II:?, I:?
RySerr21: AR: 7/25, SR: ?, SS: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Myuuchan: AR: 7/25, SR: ?, SS: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Chubbychaser: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: 7/29, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Happyandswell: AR: 7/25, SR: ?, SS: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Dulcina: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: ?, C: ?, II: ?, I:?
Schoolsucks: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: ?, C: ?, II: ?, I:?
majahops IS: AR: 7/25, SR: ?, SS: ?, C: ?, II: ?, I:?

I had a lot of trouble with the "problem" essay until I finally gave up and talked about my basic science research, which I really really did not even want to mention because it was such a frustrating, problematic experience.

Is this thread for UCLA/Drew as well or should I start a new one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a plan. Hey Berk!!! :love::love::love: My SDN Crush!!! LOL. :laugh:

I had a lot of trouble with the "problem" essay until I finally gave up and talked about my basic science research, which I really really did not even want to mention because it was such a frustrating, problematic experience.

I had problems with that essay too, but for a different reason. The character counter said I had 800 characters exactly, but the app said I was over the limit and wouldn't save. Only happened for that essay. Some minor editing, and 2 fewer characters and I was good to go =)

What is my problem is also my hardship? My mom passed away which caused lots of hardships financially, emotionally, etc. Is it appropraite to talk about it oboth places? Why oh why do they have so many questions?:mad:

Also, since the non-academic activity question says "in my life" can I write about something that I did a long time ago? Or should it be recent? For example, I did a lot of acting when I was younger and it really affected my life (thats why i moved to California and on and on and on) but I haven't done it for a long time. ANy thoughts?

I think something that shows that you have grown as a person is ok no matter how long ago it was.

"Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth."

Answering this question is a problem in my life. I dealt with it by leaving it blank. It influenced my growth by teaching me that I can't always answer every question life throws at me.:cool:

Just checking, but not everyone has received this secondary yet right? Some are still on hold?

Just checking, but not everyone has received this secondary yet right? Some are still on hold?

Nope, they are all sent out. If you didn't get one you might as well withdraw your entire application from all schools and consider the PA route.

Nope, they are all sent out. If you didn't get one you might as well withdraw your entire application from all schools and consider the PA route.

:laugh: Don't be mean!

Don't woooorry. They're sent out in batches, so I'm sure there are still many more batches to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just ate four huge chocolate chip cookies while trying to think of what to write for the "problem" question. All I can think of is this stomach ache I have is a huge problem for me.

Your future diabetes!

J/k i <3 cookies so much

Now if it was current diabetes, the one bright side would be I'd have SOMETHING to write about for this question. I just can't help it, I usually view things positively and not as problems.

Is it bad that my problem essay was about a physical injury hahaha.

lol, all good. did give me a jump though :p

thanks for the info

Will VirtualEvals somehow send hard copies of my letters?

If not, that means I have to take time off of work and physically hand an envelope to my alma mater... that sucks.

If anyone is wondering about the section on the application that reads: "In college have you completed one or more years of the following?" I called and they said select "yes" if you are planning on completing the requirement in the upcoming year, even if at this time you haven't.

Legend

copingmethods IS: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: 7/31, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Happyandswell: AR: 7/25, SR: ?, SS: ?, C: ?, II:?, I:?

Legend

Happyandswell IS: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: 7/31, C: ?, II:?, I:?

Will VirtualEvals somehow send hard copies of my letters?

If not, that means I have to take time off of work and physically hand an envelope to my alma mater... that sucks.

my school uses VirtualEvals and is requesting a stamped/addressed large envelope from people who received secondaries from UCLA. not sure what the policy is at your school but you might want to check.

On the UCSD application thread there was talk about how stringent they are about giving out secondaries. Only ~1800 given out I believe. Does anybody know what the stats are like for ucla. Very excited if its a similar number. Way better chances.

Does the 800 character limit for the essays include spaces?

i.e 800 character limit with spaces

Thanks

On the UCSD application thread there was talk about how stringent they are about giving out secondaries. Only ~1800 given out I believe. Does anybody know what the stats are like for ucla. Very excited if its a similar number. Way better chances.

UCLA is not strict with giving out 2ndaries.

Legend

disorder: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: 8/01, C: ?, II:?, I:?

Does anybody know whether we're supposed to receive an e-mail telling us that we're complete? Or, perhaps having the secondary, LORs, and fee means that we're complete? There's nothing on the status page that indicates complete or incomplete.

Does anybody know whether we're supposed to receive an e-mail telling us that we're complete? Or, perhaps having the secondary, LORs, and fee means that we're complete? There's nothing on the status page that indicates complete or incomplete.

I don't think they send out any confirmation that you're complete. I thought I remembered something saying that they'll notify us by mail once they've finished reviewing our file, but I'm too lazy to go look for it.

Anyone not answer the hardship essay? I'm guessing it's ok to leave it blank if you don't have anything particularly hard you've overcome, and it's not just one of those "Is there anything else you'd like to tell us?" essays. Any thoughts?

Does it tell you if they received your LOR's and fee?

LOR, yes. I paid the fee by credit card, so I assume they must have gotten it.

Hmm, I sent mine, but mine still says "requested." Does yours say "received"?

I wrote about my SDN addiction and how it has destroyed my social life and reduced me to a clicking baboon's ass.

... Oh wait, I didn't get offered a secondary. Must've been thinking of someone else.

Anyone not answer the hardship essay? I'm guessing it's ok to leave it blank if you don't have anything particularly hard you've overcome, and it's not just one of those "Is there anything else you'd like to tell us?" essays. Any thoughts?

Yes, it says "received" for my LOR.

I also have "received" for my secondary and LORs. I also made payment by CC so it should be complete. Have you received an e-mail yet? I guess I'll assume the later date between secondary and LORs is the complete date. :)

I think received and received means you're ok (at least I hope b/c that's what I have).

hmm. so just to confirm, if it says "received" for both the supplemental information and letters of recommendation, that means we're complete?

if so, i'm complete :D

i didnt answer it

I keep seeing the entering class doing fun orientation stuff on campus. I am so jealous!!!!!!!!! They are EVERYWHERE and get lots of odwallas :eyebrow:

Legend

WilliamsF1: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: 8/7, C: ?, II:?, I:?

If anyone is wondering about the section on the application that reads: "In college have you completed one or more years of the following?" I called and they said select "yes" if you are planning on completing the requirement in the upcoming year, even if at this time you haven't.

I just called them and they told me to put down no unless you are currently taking the class. They also mentioned to not worry too much about it and that it's just for statistical purposes.

Legend

WilliamsF1: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: 8/7, C: ?, II:?, I:?
Dulcina: AR: 7/25, SR: 7/29, SS: 8/6, C: ?, II: ?, I:?

hmm. so just to confirm, if it says "received" for both the supplemental information and letters of recommendation, that means we're complete?

if so, i'm complete :D

Hmm, I wonder if they send out an email?

Hmm, I wonder if they send out an email?

I havent gotten one, and the people who submitted before me didnt report getting one either.

Hi - question about UCLA's screening process if anybody knows.

Do they screen for IS's, or it is just a harsher screen for OOS's, or is there no difference?

I applied their as kind of a "give it a try" idea - I'm in my 30's, have never lived in California, but I recieved a secondary.

Thanks!:)

UCLA does not give preference to the instate so I'm assuming they screen everyone equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.