2008-2009 University of Missouri Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

migm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since us Missourians didn't have something, I decided to create this for all of us.

A round of emails came out today: looks like the top few were accepted, but I (and many others) were not offered a spot.

And the wait continues for my state school..

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about how many people they admit each round?

Does anyone know about how many people they admit each round?

IIRC: Ms. Easton said it was gonna be like 5 or 6 this month, so it's not surprising that most everyone got skipped over

edit: and more the next month and so on until the class is filled up

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, only 5 or 6 people this month. Ok, now I feel a bit better. Thanks for the info.!

Hey guys,

I've been complete at Mizzou since 8/20, but I haven't heard anything from them. Should I call? Did you hear anything from them before you got your interview invite? (I'm IS with a good GPA/MCAT.) Thanks.

Hey guys,

I've been complete at Mizzou since 8/20, but I haven't heard anything from them. Should I call? Did you hear anything from them before you got your interview invite? (I'm IS with a good GPA/MCAT.) Thanks.

Give them a call and make sure you're complete

edit: nevermind, forgot they send an email. you might just need to be patient, but it can't hurt to call and ask to get some more info.

Give them a call and make sure you're complete

edit: nevermind, forgot they send an email. you might just need to be patient, but it can't hurt to call and ask to get some more info.

agreed. I don't think it would hurt to call.

Got an acceptance via email on 11/21 (friday). My first one--hooray! But when i interviewed they said the adcome would be conservative in november, with increasing acceptances in december and more in january and the most in feb.

good luck everyone!

Got an acceptance via email on 11/21 (friday). My first one--hooray! But when i interviewed they said the adcome would be conservative in november, with increasing acceptances in december and more in january and the most in feb.

good luck everyone!

Congrats! Mind me asking when you interviewed?

Hey guys! I'll join the very small Mizzou club here!

I'm in-state and just got an invite yesterday for 1/13. Hooray! :D

So, it sounds like the committe meets 1x/mo, toward the end of the month, to determine acceptances?

So, it sounds like the committe meets 1x/mo, toward the end of the month, to determine acceptances?

Congrats! Yep, they meet the third Thursday of the month for acceptances.

That's so great! Do you remember when were you complete at Mizzou?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if you were passed over the first time -- whether you will hear a yes/no/wait every meeting?

Anyone know if you were passed over the first time -- whether you will hear a yes/no/wait every meeting?

Yup. Yes/No/Wait until March when the "Big Selection" happens and the "Waitlist Ranking" is produced.

I wish I was more creative and could have come up with more impressive names for the lists. *sigh*

Yup. Yes/No/Wait until March when the "Big Selection" happens and the "Waitlist Ranking" is produced.

I wish I was more creative and could have come up with more impressive names for the lists. *sigh*

Funny story about that. This is the first year where the ranking will *not* be released, but you can call and Ms. Easton and she will tell you which third you are in.

Le sigh

Funny story about that. This is the first year where the ranking will *not* be released, but you can call and Ms. Easton and she will tell you which third you are in.

Le sigh
Huh. That's interesting- I hadn't heard that. I mean, it's not like we were obsessively keeping track of what number they were at last year or anything.... :whistle: :oops:

migm said:

I can tell we have very different senses of humor, 'cause that story doesn't sound very funny to me. :p

Huh. That's interesting- I hadn't heard that. I mean, it's not like we were obsessively keeping track of what number they were at last year or anything.... :whistle: :oops:

Seriously, who would be so obsessed? Rediculous. Oh, wait. I did...uh...nevermind.

Yeah, that's news to me, as well. I'm giving the tour today (Hello, Mizzou Med applicants interviewing today!! See you at noon for a tour and lunch. :thumbup:) If I remember, I'll ask why the change of heart on the rankings.

Realistically, they're right. Knowing which third you're in is probably sufficient. The first third (historically) has always been accepted, the second third will probably be accepted (we went through 63 if I remember correctly), and the last third are unlikely to get a call. Your actual number doesn't tell you much.

But we sure had fun making contests out of what day the OME would hit what number on the waitlist. Ahhh. Good times. Good times. Seems like forever ago that we did that.

Here's the link to Mizzou's interview thread:

http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=118

People can post about their experience as well as what they liked/didn't like about the school

You can also get to it by clicking on "Medical" at the top and scrolling down to "School Interview Feedback" and find U. of Missouri on the list.

Hope this helps some!!

Today at 7 o'clock:

This letter is to inform you that the status of your application to the University of Missouri School of Medicine is unchanged.

The Admissions Committee meets weekly to discuss applicants. Applicants are rank ordered by Committee vote. Each month we will offer acceptances to a small number of those applicants highest on the rank-ordered list. Applicants not accepted during one selection round will remain on the list for future monthly selections. Your name was not in the group to be admitted to the School of Medicine at this time. You remain on our listing of candidates for consideration at future meetings of the committee.

We anticipate that the Admissions Committee will conclude its work in late February. At the conclusion of our interview season, all candidates will be informed of their final status ( e.g. accepted, placed on alternate list, or denied).

Please feel free to telephone our Admissions Office (573-882-9219) if you have any questions regarding the admissions process.

Boo....

Today at 7 o'clock:

This letter is to inform you that the status of your application to the University of Missouri School of Medicine is unchanged.

The Admissions Committee meets weekly to discuss applicants. Applicants are rank ordered by Committee vote. Each month we will offer acceptances to a small number of those applicants highest on the rank-ordered list. Applicants not accepted during one selection round will remain on the list for future monthly selections. Your name was not in the group to be admitted to the School of Medicine at this time. You remain on our listing of candidates for consideration at future meetings of the committee.

We anticipate that the Admissions Committee will conclude its work in late February. At the conclusion of our interview season, all candidates will be informed of their final status ( e.g. accepted, placed on alternate list, or denied).

Please feel free to telephone our Admissions Office (573-882-9219) if you have any questions regarding the admissions process.

Boo....

Me too :mad: Happy holidays from Mizzou

So today is the 3rd Thursday of the month, which means the admissions committee is probably meeting today. Think we will hear decisions tomorrow?? Aahhh the waiting game...

So today is the 3rd Thursday of the month, which means the admissions committee is probably meeting today. Think we will hear decisions tomorrow?? Aahhh the waiting game...

I was wondering the same thing since the 1st thursday was New Years. I wasn't sure if it'd be today/tomorrow or next Thurs/Fri. I guess we'll all cross our fingers and see!:xf:

I'm not a doctor, but it sure seems like today has gotta be the day. Commence email checking!

I'm not a doctor, but it sure seems like today has gotta be the day. Commence email checking!

Agreed!!! Good luck to everyone! :xf: :luck: :thumbup:

I hope we hear something today and only good news at that!!

Good luck everyone. We should have word by tonight if the last few months are any indication.

I wonder if anyone has gotten in after being held at least 1 month, or if they are just accepting from that month's interviewsers and passing everyone else on until the big decision day. Do we have any information on this?

Im stuck inside on a friday until I get this email which I know isn't going to be the news i'm hoping for. Yet, i cannot leave

Im stuck inside on a friday until I get this email which I know isn't going to be the news i'm hoping for. Yet, i cannot leave

I give up.... next Thurs/Fri maybe?? Hopefully???? :cool:

I have a feeling there's gonna be nothing till the big day in Feb. Oh well

I have a feeling there's gonna be nothing till the big day in Feb. Oh well

When I was there interviewing earlier this month they said we would hear something sometime in January and then again during the "big decision." So I don't know anymore....

I called yesterday evening around four and they said they were sending out decision emails that night...but still nothing! Who knows when we will hear... maybe they got behind on Friday and we can expect one on Monday. Wishful thinking...but there's a chance!

I had my email this morning.... unchanged status :(

Crossing my fingers for the "big decision" :xf: :xf: :xf:

Still on hold too. One more month, then we finally know more

Unchanged as well...another month of waiting...sigh

Same. I doubt they accept people after their first month of consideration. Until February that is.

Good luck.

Got the Email this morning- Acceptance to my state school at last!! Just fyi takethat12, my first consideration month was november, 2 unchanged status emails and now this so I guess they do consider you each month.

congrats.. can you give us some idea of your stats so we know where they're at?
thanks

Sure, I am a re-applicant so I might be a little different situation than alot of you. I interviewed at MU last year and was waitlisted 85th. 3.63 gpa from University of Tulsa, 31 MCAT, good ECs, worked in hospital during year off as EKG tech.

Hey guys!

I've been MIA since appearing once here, but thought I'd check in.

I had GREAT interviews two weeks ago and really enjoyed my visit to Mizzou!

I got the "status unchanged" message yesterday too (but didn't find that out until this morning). I totally did not expect to find that e-mail in my inbox (sent on a Sunday, no less!) . . . particularly after stalking my e-mail like it was my job on Thursday night and Friday all day. Bizarro. This process is such a killer . . . best of luck to everyone next month! :luck:

I am a little confused, though . . . is the waitlist made at the end of Feb.? I thought it wasn't made until sometime in March, so I was assuming next month would be like this month, and then we'd get our "big decision" news toward the end of March. Anyone able to clear that up?

Since there is a newer admissions director now (this is her second full year), things could be changing. However, this is how it worked last year:

Admissions decisions were given out monthly from October through January. Only a few people will get acceptances each month, and everyone else remains in the "continue to be reviewed" pool.

In February, NO DECISIONS WERE GIVEN OUT. Nada. The message was sent ahead of time to advise of this. This is because the admissions committee is preparing the official wait list, which goes out on or around March 15.

Since there are 96 in each class, on/around March 15, the number of acceptances given at that time will be 96 - (number of acceptances already + Conley/Bryant Scholars). At this time, anyone not in that initial 96 will either be a) put onto a waitlist of 96 or b) sent a rejection letter. An email will be sent to everyone on the same day informing of the updated status.

Last year and in previous years waitlistees were informed of their specific number on the waitlist. This year there are rumors that waitlistees will be told they are in top 1/3, middle 1/3, or bottom 1/3. No clarification of that from the OME yet, though. As a rule of thumb, the top 1/3 is probably going to get in, the middle 1/3 is on the fence, and the bottom 1/3 probably needs to make alternate plans, but you never know.

Since there is a newer admissions director now (this is her second full year), things could be changing. However, this is how it worked last year:

Admissions decisions were given out monthly from October through January. Only a few people will get acceptances each month, and everyone else remains in the "continue to be reviewed" pool.

In February, NO DECISIONS WERE GIVEN OUT. Nada. The message was sent ahead of time to advise of this. This is because the admissions committee is preparing the official wait list, which goes out on or around March 15.

Since there are 96 in each class, on/around March 15, the number of acceptances given at that time will be 96 - (number of acceptances already + Conley/Bryant Scholars). At this time, anyone not in that initial 96 will either be a) put onto a waitlist of 96 or b) sent a rejection letter. An email will be sent to everyone on the same day informing of the updated status.

Last year and in previous years waitlistees were informed of their specific number on the waitlist. This year there are rumors that waitlistees will be told they are in top 1/3, middle 1/3, or bottom 1/3. No clarification of that from the OME yet, though. As a rule of thumb, the top 1/3 is probably going to get in, the middle 1/3 is on the fence, and the bottom 1/3 probably needs to make alternate plans, but you never know.

so this is the week to hear whether or not we will hear :) ?

Sent last year on 2/22/08, from the Admissions Coordinator:

Dear Applicant,

This e-mail is being sent to all applicants who have not yet been accepted to the School of Medicine.

Historically, the Admissions Committee has completed its work in late February and the final selection of candidates was made during the last week of February. This year, we have had an increase in the number of applications as well as an increase in the number of interviews offered.

As a result, the Admissions Committee will NOT be accepting another group of students in February.
Instead, the Admissions Committee will complete the interview season in mid-March and will then make the final selections.

You can expect to receive an e-mail informing you of your final status by March 21, 2008. At that time, you will find out that you have been: 1) accepted, 2) placed on the alternate list, or 3) denied. If you are placed on the alternate list, you will be told where you stand on the rank-ordered list.

Again, some things may have changed for this year, specifically the issue with knowing rank on the alternate list.

Sent last year on 2/22/08, from the Admissions Coordinator:

Again, some things may have changed for this year, specifically the issue with knowing rank on the alternate list.

I talked with the Dean last week and she mentioned that they were not interviewing into March like they did last cycle. So with any luck, this cycle will get some answers a little earlier. :clap:

I talked with the Dean last week and she mentioned that they were not interviewing into March like they did last cycle. So with any luck, this cycle will get some answers a little earlier. :clap:

Whoah - good to know! Thanks for the info, Captain. Of course, now I'm wondering why the heck I checked this thread because now I'm going to be a basket case for the rest of the week again! :rolleyes::scared:

Good luck to all of you anxious applicants. I hope you get good news soon. And if you don't, look on the bright side, you wont spend the next year living in a 10'x14' room with no windows. :xf:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.