2008-2009 University of Missouri Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also waitlisted in the top 1/3. Ms Easton told me that she would call if I am taken from the waitlist and a letter would follow. As of two weeks ago only 1 person has been taken off the waitlist. The big movement wont be until May, when everyone must choose only one acceptance (but may remain on multiple waitlists). I know this process all to well :( Last year in the end of May there were, like, 30 taken from the waitlist and by the begining of the semester it ended at 63. Hang in there! It is a looooong process!!:xf:

I just got a phone call from Ms. Easton. I'm pretty thrilled, I don't think any of the smilies available could express my excitement... Good luck to everybody on the waitlist! :luck:

Um.. stats if anyone here cares.. some forums do this.
Application Officially Complete 1/6
Interviewed 1/27
Waitlisted 2/28
Accepted 3/30

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Mountainwest- So will you be attending Mizzou for sure? Its nice to have a classmate on here!

I just declined my acceptance. Wasn't an easy thing to do.

Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Does anyone know if Mizzou has a service to help incoming students help find roommates?

If you were accepted to Mizzou, you should probably have received a big housing packet in the mail. They have a form you can fill out that says what you are looking for in a roommate/apartment/house etc. It goes on a file in the admissions office that any medical student can access. There, you can access information about other students' housing interests, or to let other students know about what you are looking for. As for an official service, I'm not certain one exists. I've always found the people in the admissions office to be quite friendly and helpful, so I'd give them a call. Hope this helps.

Hey, just found this thread!:thumbup:
For those of you have already decided on Mizzou, would you mind sharing some of the things you really like about the school? I am trying to decide between two schools and would appreciate any input!

Hey, just found this thread!:thumbup:
For those of you have already decided on Mizzou, would you mind sharing some of the things you really like about the school? I am trying to decide between two schools and would appreciate any input!

What did you like about the school?

Mizzou has one of the best PBL implementations, so if you are deciding between two PBL curriculums it's going to be difficult to do it better than Mizzou.

If you're deciding between a traditional and a PBL curriculum, take a good look at yourself and figure out what learning style is best for you. "Fit" is an important factor for success in medical school. The "square peg, round hole" phenomenon just adds un-needed stress to a demanding school schedule.

You interviewed at Mizzou, so you know the drill: limited class schedule means more time on your own to study, relax, whatever; clinical experiences in the first year means putting your new skills to work right away; non-competitive environment makes for great comradeship among the students; the simulation center is outstanding; the rec-center is second to none; almost all the texts are available in the library or for free electronically through the school; ah, you know the rest.

Hey Captain Fantastic (or anyone else), I am trying to decide on a mac or pc laptop for next year. I noticed in the Mizzou 2012 class discussion that you went with a mac, have you had any problems at MU with any of the programs or anything? If you had to make the choice again would you stick with it? Thanks for the help

I am wondering this as well. It sounds like anyone who uses a mac will have to buy a lot of extra operating system add-ons.. like windows vista among other things. I currently have a mac and I'm wondering about compatibility. I would be really disappointed if I had to buy a PC. Any advice?

I use a mac too. I would say 1/4 to 1/3 of our class uses macs and another 1/2 of the class is waiting for their PC to crap out to buy a mac...

I would recommend them to anyone coming into mizzou med.
You don't need anything extra. Just MS Office. I have Windows but have yet to have any reason to boot into it.

Also if you were to choose to go the PC route, you will run into issues if you get one with a 64bit processor. Our printers dont work well with 64 bit Vista.

Everything at Mizzou is very mac capable. Heck the Journalism school requires macs.
let me know if you have any other questions.

So with some experience in medical school here at Mizzou under my belt, I can totally say go Mac and you'll never go back. I'm very happy with my computer choice. It works with everything here at Mizzou. In fact, it's hard to imagine a more Mac-friendly school than Mizzou. If I had to do it over again I would definitely get the Macbook.

When I got to school I was worried about needing Windows, so I have Parallels with WindowsXP installed but I have never needed it.

Basically you do all your work in Office and almost all of your resources are on the web. The lecturers all post their presentations as PowerPoints. Your classmates will post their objectives in Word documents. Someone else in your class will probably make a drug table in Excel and share with everyone. So pretty much you need Microsoft Office to get along. You can get it cheap at the bookstore, or if you're really adventurous you could go with OpenOffice.

Get whatever system you are comfortable with, but I made the switch to Mac just before medical school and have been happy with my choice. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
In case anyone on the waitlist was wondering, some acceptance calls went out today.

Anyone have a rough estimate as to what number the school is at on the waitlist?

Thanks for the information Captain Fantastic! When I talked to Ms. Easton back in march she said to call her back this month and she could give me a better estimate of how well the waitlist is moving. Sadly I'm in the most "up in the air" spot possible, the 48 - 64 range. I've been trying to get ahold of Ms. Easton for the last week but no luck. Anyone else had troubles getting into contact w/ her? I've left my name and number with her twice now but she still hasn't called me back. Should I just keep calling? I feel bad continously calling since I can imagine she's really busy and I'm not the only one calling her.

As Captain Fantastic said, as of late last week they were about where they were last year. This information comes directly from a conversation I had with Dean Brown and which I relayed to CF. If you look at last year's thread, that put them probably around the early 20s, give or take a few.

Since you've already left two messages, I'd be cautious about leaving more before you get a return call. However, if you haven't heard from her by Friday, I'd put in another call first thing on Tuesday (Monday being the holiday and all).

Thanks for the advice! She finally called me back today. She said they're a couple more on the waitlist than they were last year. It's almost to 40 now. Its just a matter if it moves as far or further than it did last year. *keeping my fingers crossed*

Hey guys, I called Monday and they were on 29. Then today got the call that I'm in. I was top of the middle of the list. Good luck everyone!

I'm in too!! :D I'm super excited but not entirely certain that I'll attend. I'm re-visiting Columbia with my husband this weekend, and we're going to try to make a decision within a week or so to keep things moving. I'll be sure to post if I give my spot up . . . and if I don't, I'll go ahead and start that class thread!! :cool: :thumbup:

Hey all,

I thought I'd go ahead and bump this thread just in case anyone has heard of any movement.....

:confused:

Hey all, I've literally stalked this forum for over a year and never made a member name or replied to any threads to add input. I was feeling guilty since I relentlessly check this discussion thread in particular (shamefully, multiple times each day). I feel like I know everyone without even posting. So I knew I needed to add into the discussion a little bit.

I have waitlist information, but first let me tell you a little about me. I interviewed back in October. Got all of the update emails for no status change. In March I was waitlisted. And here I sit, Mrs. Easton told me I am in the middle third of the middle third. Holding no acceptances. Just waiting for a call from MU Admissions.

So on to the other information. I called to check the status of the waitlist. I'm happy to say they are in the middle third of the middle third now. Offered acceptances thru #44 to be exact. There is still a chance that the waitlist will move more because she also mentioned there were still a few students that were holding multiple acceptances (I assume because they were offered acceptances from waitlists)

I hope this eases the worry pains in your stomach. I know it sorta settled mine.

Hey Guys! I thought I'd post the link the to our facebook group in case anyone reading is undecided or hasnt found the allopathic class thread :)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/crea...2689323888#/group.php?gid=102689323888&ref=nf

BEST of luck to the waitlisters! I've heard that you've really got an excellent shot if you are in the middle third (already knowing they took the top third and some of the middle). I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

It's been awfully silent... anyone have news/updates/whisperings that they care to share? I have yet to call for an update... I think I may give in and do it towards the end of the week.

Ok, for once I have an update instead of just bumping the thread ;)

I just got off the phone with Ms. Easton and she says that they have gone through #48 on the waitlist, and that currently there are 2 students holding multiple acceptances so she should know by the end of the week of those two spots will open up. It's not much but at least it's moving!! They are slowly but SURELY inching towards my bracket :xf::xf:

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

ABR, that was much appreciated. I'm still waiting too. Every time my phone rings, my heart races, not kidding. It's hard to think that they've only moved four spots in the last two weeks... It makes me wonder if there will be much more movement at all. I mean, I guess there's the hope that last year about this time they were on 54 and eventually made it to 63 by July 1st. (thanks to previous year posters, those were the dates marked)

OH well, I guess I could be working on my re-application essays just in case...:eek:

All these numbers! Thanks for that info Ping. So I was looking at the admission statistics that they gave us in the packet during our interview. (Gives you a little something else substantial to look at too.)
Here's what it says, 2008 stats: Applicants Interviewed: 310
Applicants Accepted: 159 (96 outright, 63 from the waitlist..in order to fill the 96 person class)

And we begin another week of anxious waiting:eek:.... anyone planning on calling this week?

I was really hoping she would call me... :) But maybe by the end of the week.

Yes that would be awesome! I hate the ambiguity of being at the bottom of the middle third! :confused: Everyday I pray that today will be the day that I get a call.... please just let this be the week!!

I called on Thursday and went out of town for a few days, so I haven't checked this...leaving you in suspense. They're on #50. Not much movement, but still people are popping up with multiple acceptances. So there's still a miniature chance, but reapplication looks like the next step.

Wow, it moved two spots in two weeks? That is absolutely devastating. When is the latest that they would take people off the alternate list?

:xf::xf: Praying that I am somehow #51 :xf::xf:

ABRuniverse, I think they'll take people off the waitlist until either the class is full - or the day before classes start. Orientation is July 27th-29th - so you've still got time!! :)

BEST OF LUCK!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Trust me I definitely feel your pain. She mentioned that "technically" they are allowed to accept through the last day of orientation. Now that's saying that someone either doesn't show up or gets off a waitlist from their dream school or decides that medicine isn't for them...

When I talked to her she had mentioned two people had just come across with multiple acceptances. They were given only a few days to turn around and decide.

Here's to hoping that enough people get into their "dream schools" so we can get into ours!:xf::highfive::xf:

ok so completely late in the process, but ABR, did you get any correspondence from MU saying "Rejected" because I never received anything...not even an email. clearly i'm not accepted because school started a few weeks ago, but seriously??

ok so completely late in the process, but ABR, did you get any correspondence from MU saying "Rejected" because I never received anything...not even an email. clearly i'm not accepted because school started a few weeks ago, but seriously??

Nope, nothing at all. Do you happen to know how far they ended up getting through the waitlist?

what a shame. The last time I checked it was #50, but they may have gone through that number. All I know is that I never got a call, so not quite far enough on the ol' numbering system. ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.