2008-2009 University of Utah Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Utah is below average on both step 1 and step 2 as per http://uuhsc.utah.edu/som/College_Co...uncil%2008.htm

Why would anyone want a post-application interview with Dean Samuelson anyway? It's been mentioned over and over in this thread that his advice doesn't yield acceptances the second and third time around.

I'm still struggling to understand how 25% of the class could go unmatched. I think it's now evident to us that this school is falling apart, but why does it seem to have such a good regional reputation among laypeople in utah? I was a U undergraduate and I often bumped into people who were convinced that the U was one of the top 10 or so med schools in the country.

I wonder what their unmatched rate has been in the past? Have they given out match lists in the past? And does anyone know why they seem to only admit people with <3.5 and <30 if their school's board scores and matching rates continue to suck? It just seems insane to me. This school is the main provider of physicians in our state. I think like 70 percent of physicians in utah did all or part of their training at the U. As a person who has his whole family in utah, this concerns me. What the hell are they thinking? and cutting 14/20 slots in the medical school from IS students? And why the hell are they building a new hospital if they don't have enough funds to continue to produce the already meager number of new physicians for the state.

Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture, but this school seems to continue to make lousy decisions :thumbdown:

It's interesting that you bring that up about scores and GPA. I know of a few people though who have 3.9+ GPAs who have gotten in and the highest mcat score I've heard accepted in the last 2 cycles have been a 35. I don't know all the students tho. My other friends who have gotten in, well like 10 of them, were mcat scores 30 and below with a 3.8 average. All of them tho had great extracurriculars and some research...

Members don't see this ad.

One thing the UUSOM feels responsible for is helping U of U students get accepted to ANY school. I was talking to one of the assistants to Samuelson (seeing how he won't even speak to undergraduates privately anymore) and was told how disappointed they are with the pre-med office at the U. Only 100 students went to medical school for the 2008 cycle out of 260 students. Apparently U students aren't applying early enough, not studying hard enough for the mcat, and not using crucial things like the 15 activities on their application to their benefit.

So from what you have said I guess the post-app review with Samuelson was VERY helpful and it's unfortunate he is discontinuing that...Maybe it has to do with all the rejected students who have gone through the post-app process in the past and still didn't get accepted to the U which I'm sure Samuelson is tired of hearing about :confused:

The pre-med office at the U is pretty lousy, but from reading other threads on this site I don't think they are abnormally lousy. Students have got to take the initiative in getting the information they need to succeed. I think most of us agree that SDN is 100x better than any pre-med advisor could ever be. Considering the scale of problems that appear to be going on at the medical school, Dean Samuelson and his secretaries have no business criticizing the pre-med office.

Keep in mind that an 100/260 accepted student ratio for the U of U undergrad isn't too far from the national average. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think of the University of Utah (undergrad) as a top tier university and thus this figure doesn't suprise me too much. I know in the past we have been closer to 50%, however.

As someone who just went through the process, I still think admissions to medical school is mostly determined by one's GPA+ MCAT. As an undergraduate, I viewed Dr. Samuelson's strong emphasis on extracurriculars and "touchy feely stuff" over stats as being an impediment to the ability of U of U undergrad's to get accepted to medical schools outside utah. It simply doesn't make sense for a undergrad who wishes to attend the U of U medical school to spend 1000's of hours working on improving one's GPA when it holds as much "admissions weight" as physician shadowing, which can be improved in a couple afternoons. One might find the strategy of putting his/her efforts into "touchy feelies" rather than academics efficacious for getting into the U of U medical school, but I think it leaves students in the cold for other schools. Unfortunately, the kids with <30, <3.5 rarely stand a chance outside the state.

I've never had an appointment with Dr. Samuelson personally, but every time I've listened to him give a presentation I have felt horribly misled. The last time I heard him speak, his main emphasis was that the personal statement is THE most important part of one's application to medical school. I'm convinced that we all write the exact same contrived BS in our personal statements. I don't think they are representative of our personalities or character at all. I'm pretty sure my personal statement was mediocre at best and I've managed to be successful this cycle:rolleyes:

I called the admissions office today to make sure that they had my most current (correct) address on file. I was told by the lady in the admissions office that my letter was sent out on Friday and that I should be receiving it soon, and they did in fact have the correct address.

My question is this: if I am/had been accepted, would my status on the secondary page have changed already? It still just says "Submitted" in the upper left-hand corner.

I have read on this forum that the status changes, but I just wanted to know if this change took place before the letters came, or if it changes once you make a deposit, etc. Also, would it only change if I were to be accepted or does it also change in the case of a rejection/waitlist?

I know that I'm being incredibly impatient here, but I feel like I'm going to explode. I have been waiting 7 months for a result from the U of U! I interviewed in early September! Any advice would be helpful from those who know anything concerning the status page updates.

Thanks! and good luck to everyone!

My status just changed this morning. There is a new link on the first page that says something about acceptance status. When you follow the link it says Congratulations on Being Accepted. I have not received a letter in the mail yet, so I think that should answer your question. Also, I called the admissions office a few days ago and the secretary told me that I should have a letter by Monday. At any rate, best of luck to you as your status changes!

Stats: IS, 40Q, 3.86

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to point out to you that part of the reason why the U of U might have such a problem w/ their admissions stats and why the med school likewise has previously been so committed to helping applicants strengthen apps to stay in Utah is b/c Utah is culturally unique. The U's med school reflects this w/ the highest % of married applicants (>50%) & probably those w/ kids, too. Many of those applicants don't want to leave UT & don't apply to many med schools b/c they feel family/social obligations tie them down. The % of reapplicants AND SUCCESSFUL REAPPLICANTS AS ENROLLED STUDENTS I have met in the 3 times I have interviewed at Utah is totally different than at any other school I've been to. Seriously...there are people who apply 3 or 4 times b/c of this--a lot of them are basically restricting themselves even though they could probably have gotten in *somewhere* if they had applied broadly. Think about it--the adjacent states don't have state med schools that take Utah residents; if you had a spouse who refused to leave your extended family, and/or felt yourself a moral obligation/need to stay near your family during med school in order to have kids taken care of, what would you do? Some will even go to D.O. school in AZ and CO rather than taking an M.D. acceptance further away.

I had previously brought this up regarding the high # of unmatched graduates this year--I wonder if they're also self-selecting themselves out of matching and forcing themselves to scarmble by being picky about the region of their ranked residencies.

Furthermore--I took the deans advice regarding my personal statement, and this year, finally did tons better w/ my apps. 8 MD interviews & 6+ D.O. interviews --> at least 1 MD acceptance & 4 D.O. acceptances (withdrew from everything else before hearing back). 2 previous years, only got me a Utah interview and rejection!

The pre-med office at the U is pretty lousy, but from reading other threads on this site I don't think they are abnormally lousy. Students have got to take the initiative in getting the information they need to succeed. I think most of us agree that SDN is 100x better than any pre-med advisor could ever be. Considering the scale of problems that appear to be going on at the medical school, Dean Samuelson and his secretaries have no business criticizing the pre-med office.

Keep in mind that an 100/260 accepted student ratio for the U of U undergrad isn't too far from the national average. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think of the University of Utah (undergrad) as a top tier university and thus this figure doesn't suprise me too much. I know in the past we have been closer to 50%, however.

As someone who just went through the process, I still think admissions to medical school is mostly determined by one's GPA+ MCAT. As an undergraduate, I viewed Dr. Samuelson's strong emphasis on extracurriculars and "touchy feely stuff" over stats as being an impediment to the ability of U of U undergrad's to get accepted to medical schools outside utah. It simply doesn't make sense for a undergrad who wishes to attend the U of U medical school to spend 1000's of hours working on improving one's GPA when it holds as much "admissions weight" as physician shadowing, which can be improved in a couple afternoons. One might find the strategy of putting his/her efforts into "touchy feelies" rather than academics efficacious for getting into the U of U medical school, but I think it leaves students in the cold for other schools. Unfortunately, the kids with <30, <3.5 rarely stand a chance outside the state.

I've never had an appointment with Dr. Samuelson personally, but every time I've listened to him give a presentation I have felt horribly misled. The last time I heard him speak, his main emphasis was that the personal statement is THE most important part of one's application to medical school. I'm convinced that we all write the exact same contrived BS in our personal statements. I don't think they are representative of our personalities or character at all. I'm pretty sure my personal statement was mediocre at best and I've managed to be successful this cycle:rolleyes:

My status just changed this morning. There is a new link on the first page that says something about acceptance status. When you follow the link it says Congratulations on Being Accepted. I have not received a letter in the mail yet, so I think that should answer your question. Also, I called the admissions office a few days ago and the secretary told me that I should have a letter by Monday. At any rate, best of luck to you as your status changes!

Stats: IS, 40Q, 3.86

WHelp, there goes the credibility of my posts. Great job bosco! Congrats

I just want to point out to you that part of the reason why the U of U might have such a problem w/ their admissions stats and why the med school likewise has previously been so committed to helping applicants strengthen apps to stay in Utah is b/c Utah is culturally unique. The U's med school reflects this w/ the highest % of married applicants (>50%) & probably those w/ kids, too. Many of those applicants don't want to leave UT & don't apply to many med schools b/c they feel family/social obligations tie them down. The % of reapplicants AND SUCCESSFUL REAPPLICANTS AS ENROLLED STUDENTS I have met in the 3 times I have interviewed at Utah is totally different than at any other school I've been to. Seriously...there are people who apply 3 or 4 times b/c of this--a lot of them are basically restricting themselves even though they could probably have gotten in *somewhere* if they had applied broadly. Think about it--the adjacent states don't have state med schools that take Utah residents; if you had a spouse who refused to leave your extended family, and/or felt yourself a moral obligation/need to stay near your family during med school in order to have kids taken care of, what would you do? Some will even go to D.O. school in AZ and CO rather than taking an M.D. acceptance further away.

I had previously brought this up regarding the high # of unmatched graduates this year--I wonder if they're also self-selecting themselves out of matching and forcing themselves to scarmble by being picky about the region of their ranked residencies.

Furthermore--I took the deans advice regarding my personal statement, and this year, finally did tons better w/ my apps. 8 MD interviews & 6+ D.O. interviews --> at least 1 MD acceptance & 4 D.O. acceptances (withdrew from everything else before hearing back). 2 previous years, only got me a Utah interview and rejection!

VERY interesting post... i completely agree with you... I wouldn't be surprised if so many of them didn't match because of the restrictions they placed on their own rank lists... My student interviewer was accepted the third time after being rejected two years in a row. He only wanted to go to Utah. I can imagine he would probably be doing the same for residency too.

Your idea about why so many went unmatched is a good one. However, U of U med school advising, I believe, must still take a lot of fault here for poor advising. If a student doesn't match, he or she will probably end up even father away from their family/location of choice, in a lousier program and possibly in a completely different medical specialty altogether. This is a much worse result than ranking a program which may not be the most desirable for their family or whatever. Family considerations may be of monumental importance in utah, but graduating medical students have got to finish their training somewhere.

Your idea about why so many went unmatched is a good one. However, U of U med school advising, I believe, must still take a lot of fault here for poor advising. If a student doesn't match, he or she will probably end up even father away from their family/location of choice, in a lousier program and possibly in a completely different medical specialty altogether. This is a much worse result than ranking a program which may not be the most desirable for their family or whatever. Family considerations may be of monumental importance in utah, but graduating medical students have got to finish their training somewhere.

Unless they are willing to take a year off to reapply into a less competitive field. I agree it is not great advising...b/c you can apply to match into multiple fields during the match. I have heard differing and perhaps some invalid opinions about whether or not this is a bad idea. What would you do if staying in the region and practicing Anesthesia were both ranked about equally on your list of priorities? Might you scramble into a general rotating internship in the region and retry next year perhaps with the USMLE3 (you can do this right?) and other less competitive fields in your rank list?

I'm not sure there is a right way to handle the situation of people who so highly prioritize their sociocultural values/family, etc. And I certainly don't think that is the entire situation, but I think it might exaggerate it, and make for an environment where it is (1) difficult to get fabulous advice from your peers and the classmates ahead of you, and (2) where people disregard their adviser until they have failed once on their own.

I'm from Utah State also. I don't think I know you though.

Hey Bingo,

My name is Jake and my friend's name is Mitch. I am majoring in Biology, he's in Biochemistry. Do you know either of us? What are you majoring in?

Congrats on USC that is awesome.

Hey Bingo,

My name is Jake and my friend's name is Mitch. I am majoring in Biology, he's in Biochemistry. Do you know either of us? What are you majoring in?

Ok now I know you. I'm Colby and I'm majoring in biochem with Mitch.

The acceptance letter came to match my status update. It was postmarked April 2nd, which is strange. I didn't think it would take 4 days to get to Provo, but I guess it was the weekend.

Hey colby, it's erik, I decided to join this since you said it was helpful. I was wondering if anyone knows if U of U has actually sent out the number of acceptances as the number of students in their 2013 class or if they are just accepting a few from the waitlist each week until may 15. I'm waitlisted...

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless they are willing to take a year off to reapply into a less competitive field. I agree it is not great advising...b/c you can apply to match into multiple fields during the match. I have heard differing and perhaps some invalid opinions about whether or not this is a bad idea. What would you do if staying in the region and practicing Anesthesia were both ranked about equally on your list of priorities? Might you scramble into a general rotating internship in the region and retry next year perhaps with the USMLE3 (you can do this right?) and other less competitive fields in your rank list?

I'm not sure there is a right way to handle the situation of people who so highly prioritize their sociocultural values/family, etc. And I certainly don't think that is the entire situation, but I think it might exaggerate it, and make for an environment where it is (1) difficult to get fabulous advice from your peers and the classmates ahead of you, and (2) where people disregard their adviser until they have failed once on their own.

I can tell you why atleast 8 of the 15 students this year did not match - 4 were trying for radiology and 4 were trying for dermatology. I'm almost certain these students didn't care where they went, with these fields you just take whatever spot you can get because they are SOOOOO difficult to match in. If anything, they weren't as prepared as they could have been, possibly low usmle scores or not very good letters of recommendation, etc.

Plus, you have to take into account that Utah will not take Utah students for some specialities. I have heard it said that Moran will not take any students from the UUSOM for optho. General surgery has one spot for a UUSOM student. I'm not sure about other fields. So I think even if you want to stay, you might not always be able to.

I think the low match was just more that some of the 4th years didn't do well on the usmle and then tried for competitive specialities. But your idea was good to, I wouldn't put it past some to want to stay close.

I can tell you why atleast 8 of the 15 students this year did not match - 4 were trying for radiology and 4 were trying for dermatology. I'm almost certain these students didn't care where they went, with these fields you just take whatever spot you can get because they are SOOOOO difficult to match in. If anything, they weren't as prepared as they could have been, possibly low usmle scores or not very good letters of recommendation, etc.

Plus, you have to take into account that Utah will not take Utah students for some specialities. I have heard it said that Moran will not take any students from the UUSOM for optho. General surgery has one spot for a UUSOM student. I'm not sure about other fields. So I think even if you want to stay, you might not always be able to.

I think the low match was just more that some of the 4th years didn't do well on the usmle and then tried for competitive specialities. But your idea was good to, I wouldn't put it past some to want to stay close.

Whether or not it's fed into by a student body with unusual or wonky priorities, I think that kind of substantiates my comment about there possibly being an environment where people might be disregarding the advising (good or not) until they've failed on their own once...I mean, you don't have to be in med school to know you can't get into Rads or Derm with a mediocre USMLE. You can't blame bad advising for that...you can blame bad common sense, arrogance, unrealistic optomism, etc. If any didn't succeed in the scramble, the odds of getting a match after this year only decrease. So sad.

Accepted from waitlist IS...aaannndd withdrawing. Good luck you special someone

I'm so surprised that they're not aware of how much trash talking I do on this website. Ohhh well. I think I'll miss you someday U of U.

I'm so surprised that they're not aware of how much trash talking I do on this website. Ohhh well. I think I'll miss you someday U of U.

Sweet! I am IS and waitlisted. Maybe I will be your special someone?!:cool:

Where will you be attending instead?

Sweet! I am IS and waitlisted. Maybe I will be your special someone?!:cool:

Where will you be attending instead?

hehe, good luck. If you get an acceptance in the next week or so you'll know who to thank.. Or who to send a lump sum of cash to :)
I think the waitlist is pretty small. I know it has been in the years past. I was just waitlisted like 2 weeks ago I think. Good luck again

I'm deciding between uva o ucla

congrats!

hehe, good luck. If you get an acceptance in the next week or so you'll know who to thank.. Or who to send a lump sum of cash to :)
I think the waitlist is pretty small. I know it has been in the years past. I was just waitlisted like 2 weeks ago I think. Good luck again

I'm deciding between uva o ucla

Congratulations on UVA and UCLA. They are both awesome schools. Let us know which school you decide on.

yayy! I love it how people are nice to you when you withdraw from schools. I'm going to go do it in another thread

veaselhaufen.... dude u r my hero!!!!

i think i got your spot this morning.:D:D:D:D:D:D

all smiles here cuz I'm going med school BABY!!!!!

IS, 32O, 3.7, grad school, wait listed in early april.

good luck to everyone

How long is the waitlist? Or historically how long is the waitlist? Are we talking like 20 people or more...or less? Please, anybody, if you know, post!!

Frankly I'm kindof worried about this school...even though I've decided to go. You are all correct in saying the stats are low and I hate to be the guinea pig for a new curriculum...sigh. Does anyone know how many people will be in the class this year? 70? Does anyone know the start date? I'm kindof out of it.

Admissions office told me they will accept 82 students this year, and the first day is Aug 18th.

Have any of you that have been accepted been told the tuition for next year?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I thought you all might find these articles from today's chronicle interesting:

"Cigarette Tax Hike Could Restore Class Size"
http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/news/cigarette-tax-hike-could-restore-class-size-1.1727605

I sort of got the notion that this tax hike could actually take effect for this year's entering class..... What do you all think?

"Med School Looks to Offset Cuts"
http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/news/med-school-looks-to-offset-cuts-1.1727508

That is pretty hopeful, but keep in mind that the they've already made admissions decisions based on 82 for this year's class. In addition, the fiscal year will be nearly over by the time any tax is put into effect. Lastly, a special session in Utah is rare. Having studied Utah politics, It probably won't happen unless there's a budget emergency. Also, keep in mind that the rosy predictions of a special session and the prospect of a new tax were made by U administrators and the school newspaper... not exactly unbiased.

On a lighter note, because of the class size reduction, those of you accepted can expect that the quality of your education should not decrease because of the budget constraints. Also, you get to ski in Utah, and I am jealous of that... Good luck to everyone still waiting! :luck:

It is still hopeful that these 20 spots might open up. If you are on the waiting list like me, send Gov. Huntsman an email or letter and let him know how great it would be to recover these 20 spots, not only for students but for the state. I sent my letters off last week and let's hope he is already thinking about that special session!!!

Last edited:
The financial need analysis lists tuition at $24344.00 but the school has not sent out any numbers yet.

hmmm...if they don't take VirtualEval then I'm rejecting them

They don't, and if they did, it wouldn't matter, since they decreased their class size this year, they will reject you before you can reject them...

It is still hopeful that these 20 spots might open up. If you are on the waiting list like me, send Gov. Huntsman an email or letter and let him know how great it would be to recover these 20 spots, not only for students but for the state. I sent my letters off last week and let's hope he is already thinking about that special session!!!

I'm sorry, but there is virtually no way that they will increase the class size this year back to 100. It will clearly be too late in the fiscal year for any possible tax to make up the difference for this year's class.:( It would be great for next year's class though!:)

Emu - apparently you don't study the newspaper like you study Utah politics:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_12191649

A special session this summer sounds pretty likely although it probably won't be solely for the cigarette tax. I think there was a ton of public discontent about the cig. tax failing to get increased because of tobacco industry lobbying, so my guess is that with the economy still in the tank the legislators will try to raise funds with the cig. tax and save some face too for not doing it earlier (and letting the tobacco lobby "win" in a state where smoking is next to murder in seriousness).

Even if it doesn't happen, you should let us hope. Some of us don't go to school this year unless we get in at the U.

I am in the idaho pool in the alternate list. At this point what are my chances of getting in this year. Any idea how many of the 8 accepted applicants typically drop out. From this thread looks like only one dropped out this year.

I am in the idaho pool in the alternate list. At this point what are my chances of getting in this year. Any idea how many of the 8 accepted applicants typically drop out. From this thread looks like only one dropped out this year.

It seems like the U holds that information pretty close so I doubt anyone really knows for sure. I'm guessing movement will depend on how many of the 8 that got in to the U also got into the U of Washington. I bet those holding acceptances to both schools will probably pick UW unless they have some serious ties to Utah. Your best shot of getting off the waitlist will probably be around that May 15 deadline.
I was rejected from UW :(, so that leaves 7 unaccounted for. Good Luck

I have a friend who is an Idaho resident, who was accepted to Utah, but is most likely going somewhere else. There's another person on this thread who's an idaho resident and is deciding between utah, nevada, and creighton:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=620864

hopefully that'll give you some hope, best of luck! :luck::luck::luck:

I'm sorry, but there is virtually no way that they will increase the class size this year back to 100. It will clearly be too late in the fiscal year for any possible tax to make up the difference for this year's class.:( It would be great for next year's class though!:)

Ouch, that is quite a statement that there is virtually no way. Why would people affiliated both with the medical school and university and the state government be saying that it is possible if there is virtually no way? I am just saying, there is still hope and that is all that any of us can cling to. The class of 2013 still might be 102. :xf: Those of us on the waitlist: let's keep our fingers crossed!

Ouch, that is quite a statement that there is virtually no way. Why would people affiliated both with the medical school and university and the state government be saying that it is possible if there is virtually no way? I am just saying, there is still hope and that is all that any of us can cling to. The class of 2013 still might be 102. :xf: Those of us on the waitlist: let's keep our fingers crossed!

Just trying to be realistic. All those people didn't say that it was possible, they SAID that there could be a special session to resolve a problem caused by a veto and fix a budget error. Nobody has indicated that a cigarette tax would be on the agenda, and (under law) any tax passed could not be able to be enacted until the start of the next fiscal year (NEXT summer). So it would affect next year's class. I'm not trying to be mean, but you have to be realistic. You're grasping at straws if you think there is a hope in this. The waitlist movement will come from people withdrawing, and I wish those of you waiting great luck in this regard! :)

Need a little advice.

I'm holding an acceptance to the U, and NYU. I love New York, I was a missionary there and can't think of better place to learn medicine. NYU is a great school with an impressive match list. I could go on, and on. Tuition is close to 50,000 though, and living expensive almost that much per year.

The U is at least half as much and my wife and I wouldn't have to pay rent. In spite of what I've heard from everyone about the U, I still feel like it is a middle tier school (which is fine), I just need some help weighing my options.

I realize how lame it must be to give a stranger advice but I really value everyone's opinion. I feel like we're all in the same boat and any council will be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Need a little advice.

I'm holding an acceptance to the U, and NYU. I love New York, I was a missionary there and can't think of better place to learn medicine. NYU is a great school with an impressive match list. I could go on, and on. Tuition is close to 50,000 though, and living expensive almost that much per year.

The U is at least half as much and my wife and I wouldn't have to pay rent. In spite of what I've heard from everyone about the U, I still feel like it is a middle tier school (which is fine), I just need some help weighing my options.

I realize how lame it must be to give a stranger advice but I really value everyone's opinion. I feel like we're all in the same boat and any council will be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.
If I had that option I would go to NYU no matter how much the cost, the quality of education and the diversity are superior.

Need a little advice.

If you really like NYU more, don't settle. In 15 years, you won't remember the money difference, but you will remember the better experience you had in NY (not to mention better opportunities!). Although it IS a lot of money, it probably won't be too big a deal in the grand scheme.

NYU would be one hell of an experience. Probably moreso for your wife who would have time enjoy it. I loved NYU on interview day. I don't think I would be willing to dish out another 100-130k for it though. And how do you feel about not being close to home/close to other mormons?

Another thing to consider is that the NYU class is really young and predominately single. I don't think they allow couples in their on-campus housing. It would cost significantly more if you don't live in their subsidized dorms. Their class partys a lot too as I remember.

I would be surprised if NYU didn't have any subsidized housing for married med students through the graduate student housing of the university. They own a great deal of property in the area outside of the dorms and rent them to students under market value.

I would, personally, seriously consider NYU in spite of the price difference. You should get a financial aid package soon, for one thing. A more expensive and wealthier school should offer more financial aid. You might luck out.

Additionally, I don't think it is a bad idea for your wife to experience the change of Manhattan. If she doesn't like it, it is only for 4 years. However, what if she loves it. There are Mormons in NYC. There is a fairly large temple on 66th and Broadway. As long as you don't try to convert your classmates, I don't even see why it would create a conflict with them. I'm an older applicant myself, and I *do* drink, and even I am not looking forward to being around 21 y.o.'s in a big city, just b/c they still haven't completely learned how to be grown ups when they have a good time. The U is exceptional in its % of married students, but I don't think a medical education is all about staying within our comfort level--part of why they are so interested in taking people from all backgrounds is because of what you bring to the class and what you bring to your patients. I think it is valuable for everybody to get the most diverse medical experience they can, and frankly, the U pales in comparison to what you will see in NY. I work in clinical research now in Manhattan, and I see Rickets and TB associated with inflammatory bowel disease--you don't see this in non-urban areas. You also don't see the extreme cases of disease and rarer diseases in Utah...just to be honest. People travel to Manhattan specifically to get care when they are a severe/odd case, so you see amazing stuff even as a student, and you learn from people who have seen amazing stuff.

I don't know what you want to do with your life, but EVEN if you want to return to rural Utah/Idaho/Wyoming and do missionary related work, think if you could save one extra child on a reservation b/c you saw something in Manhattan that no physicians who trained in SLC would have seen?! That happens. You recall things from way back in your education, and you change lives. You pretty much will see everything & more in Manhattan that you could see in Utah.

That being said, obviously, there are psychosocial and economic factors above being near your family and going to a cheaper school that I didn't delve into. They are total valid things to weigh. I truly believe that no US medical school is a bad choice!

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I value your opinions and it makes a difference in this pivotal time. I wish you all the best!

NYU would be one hell of an experience. Probably moreso for your wife who would have time enjoy it. I loved NYU on interview day. I don't think I would be willing to dish out another 100-130k for it though. And how do you feel about not being close to home/close to other mormons?

Thats a great question; I actually very much value friendships made outside my personal belief system. Its nothing that would ever stop me from attending school there. I guess it boils down to whether I want the easy life of being around family, friends, and having an inexpensive education; or taking the more difficult route of uprooting my little family and starting from scratch.

Thanks for your response by the way, I feel like this is an invaluable resource during this important time. How are things looking on your end?

the U's tuition has increased to $12,171.50 for IS and to $23,043.00 for OS. not as much as i was expecting. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.