2008-2009 USC-Keck Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed the first week of February and haven't heard back yet. They said it should be in the next couple of days though...

Did you call to find out? Getting nervous. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, based on the information shown in the evite for 2nd Look Day, Keck as accepted 243 people thus far. Last year they accepted 362, so there are a lot of acceptances left to come out, well over 100. Good luck waitlisters!

Has anyone on here received merit scholarship from Keck? If so, how long did it take for them to tell you after accepted, and how did the award come (snail mail, email, etc.)?

25% hispanic would, but for purposes related to med school admissions, people from Spain itself aren't "hispanic."
then they need to use a different word than hispanic

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you call to find out? Getting nervous. :)

Well I had called about an update letter and she said I should hear between yesterday and next Monday. Definitely getting nervous...

I just spoke to a really sweet lady in the Admissions Office and she said that everyone waiting for an interview will find out by or before next Monday. They are interviewing up until the week of April 3rd. Also, unless you already have had an interview, the office does not accept any updates, etc.

It's not like i had a chance anyways, but good luck to everyone!!! :luck::xf::luck:

Just received my acceptance letter today in the mail. I interviewed late February. Small envelope of medium thickness. I live in the SF Bay Area.

congratulations. Will see you this fall if you'll be attending :)

I just received my acceptance letter in the mail today. I interviewed Feb 18 and live in the Inland Empire.

The medical school application process sure is weird. UCSD rejected me pre-secondary. Interviewed at UCI and got waitlisted. Interviewed at UCLA and got waitlisted. Interviewed at UC Davis. No news yet but probably waitlisted lol. Absolutely no love from UC. Wondering whether there is tension between Cal-State System (which I attend) and Uni. of Cal. system...

On a better note I interviewed at USC and accepted. Interviewed at Loma Linda and accepted. Interviewed at Harvard and accepted. Still waiting on Yale.

WHOOOO!!! I forgot to check my mail yesterday cause I was too busy playing grand theft auto 4, but today I saw that I got my acceptance letter!! It was in a normal sized envelop but I could feel multiple papers inside so I knew it wasn't gonna be a rejection. I interviewed 2/24 BTW.

Does anyone know if there's gonna be a second look? the letter didn't mention anything about that. And what's this about an online group? I didn't get any email about that. I'm gonna be in LA next week for spring break so I think I'm gonna give them a call and see if I can drop by and talk to them about financial aid.

WHOOOO!!! I forgot to check my mail yesterday cause I was too busy playing grand theft auto 4, but today I saw that I got my acceptance letter!! It was in a normal sized envelop but I could feel multiple papers inside so I knew it wasn't gonna be a rejection. I interviewed 2/24 BTW.

Does anyone know if there's gonna be a second look? the letter didn't mention anything about that. And what's this about an online group? I didn't get any email about that. I'm gonna be in LA next week for spring break so I think I'm gonna give them a call and see if I can drop by and talk to them about financial aid.

You'll get an email at some point about the second look...it is the first weekend in May (i'm pretty sure).

Second look is May 1

The online group is something admissions did to help us "get to know eachother" Right now, there's just a couple of discussions (for a while there was nothing) - one on traveling this summer and one on a ride to the second look. There's info on financial aid and such, but I think it's all the same info we got on interview day. According to them you get the invite to the group once they process your check (although for me it took awhile).

Congrats on the acceptance!!

Second look is May 1

The online group is something admissions did to help us "get to know eachother" Right now, there's just a couple of discussions (for a while there was nothing) - one on traveling this summer and one on a ride to the second look. There's info on financial aid and such, but I think it's all the same info we got on interview day. According to them you get the invite to the group once they process your check (although for me it took awhile).

Congrats on the acceptance!!

I was accepted a while back.. but I am having problems joining the google group? I tried to "accept" the invitation, but I am not part of the group? Advice? Ahh, I have such a love hate relationship with google.

so if interviewed 2/6 and havent heard, is that a bad sign since people interviewing weeks after have heard?

CONGRATS ON THE ACCEPTANCES!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Keck give rejections post-interview or does everyone get either an acceptance or waitlist? Thanks!

so if interviewed 2/6 and havent heard, is that a bad sign since people interviewing weeks after have heard?

It's not necessarily a bad sign. USC sends out their acceptances in batches. I interviewed mid-Feb and was told when I called last week that it would be sent by the end of the week. Also, I live in the south so it's going to be few more days before I hear (looks like you're in Ohio from your MDApps so I would assume the same). Good luck!!

I was accepted a while back.. but I am having problems joining the google group? I tried to "accept" the invitation, but I am not part of the group? Advice? Ahh, I have such a love hate relationship with google.

The google group wouldn't accept my school email, so I called the admissions office to give them a gmail address. You probably have to do the same.

Some people who interviewed after me heard good news before me...but clearly, I heard good news, too.

I will not hold it against USC...although my pride may have been a teeny tiny itsy bitsy scooch wounded to not be important enough to get the expedited turn around :p

I just got rejected pre-interview today. They sent an email saying a decision has been made but you have to check the status page to figure out what it is. I log into status page, and there's like a photo-copy of some generic rejection letter. :mad:

Bah... I'm moving OOS for sure now. bb Cali, warm sun, palm trees, beaches, surfing... See ya in 4 yrs. :(

rejected pre-interview also!! and rejected from another school today too... great day

Did any of you with acceptances receive an email also? I interviewed in late February and won't have access to my mail until next week. I'm dying to know my status.

Did any of you with acceptances receive an email also? I interviewed in late February and won't have access to my mail until next week. I'm dying to know my status.

no emails..........just snail mail

no emails..........just snail mail
However, if you are accepted you do get an invitation to join the google group. I think you're not supposed to get it until after you pay the deposit, but some people, including myself have gotten it before they paid the deposit. If you get the invitation to join the google group, you'll know you're in :) but the converse won't be telling.

I just received an invite to join the google groups and the evite for the second look. Are these sent to people on the waitlist as well? I have not heard back since my interview, and was told the decision was mailed last week. Is this an acceptance or am I getting too excited over nothing?

I just received an invite to join the google groups and the evite for the second look. Are these sent to people on the waitlist as well? I have not heard back since my interview, and was told the decision was mailed last week. Is this an acceptance or am I getting too excited over nothing?

You're definitely in. Congrats!!!

Does anybody else kind of not love google groups? (which took me forever to get into with the invitation sent to my hotmail).

Maybe I'm just lame but I'd rather have a Keck 2013 Facebook page. I'm too old to remember how to login to things I scarcely use <whine whine whine>.

Is there going to be important info on that Keck Google Group?

Does anybody else kind of not love google groups? (which took me forever to get into with the invitation sent to my hotmail).

Maybe I'm just lame but I'd rather have a Keck 2013 Facebook page. I'm too old to remember how to login to things I scarcely use <whine whine whine>.

Is there going to be important info on that Keck Google Group?
Start a facebook page...I will join. I am obviously not hiding my face lol

I saw there was one up there, but only 6 people were in it

The last time I checked, the only group was for university of south Carolina school of med, not keck. Anyone make a group yet?

I didn't see a group either

Wow like 20 ppl have already joined the facebook group!! I had no idea that many people were reading this thread. I thought maybe like 4 people would join.

Anyway, it is good to see some of my possible future classmates...it is a pretty good/cool looking bunch of people IMO.

Just received my acceptance in the mail. It was dated March 9, but postmarked on the 23rd. For those of you still waiting post-interview, something should be coming soon.

It was dated March 9, but postmarked on the 23rd.

That's just cruelty!

Congratulations! And hugs those stinkn' days you had to wait and wonder?! The Google groups invite just couldn't have felt the same.
. . . hell, even after Mr. Pietachok called to tell me he checked the mail & I was accepted, I spent the day worried he had some momentary episode of dyslexia & couldn't differentiate acceptance from rejection. :p

I need more info on the Keck second look week. It is Friday May 1, meaning I will need to get there on Thursday. I am assuming they will set us up with a student host? Is there anything on Saturday? Does this mean student hosts will just provide Thursday night and not Friday night housing?

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone's heard anything yet regarding financial aid?

Hey! So I'm trying to figure out where I'll be living next year if I end up at USC. I heard there is some housing listserve that goes out during the summer to all accepted applicants, so we can find roomates/apartments. Is that true? If so, when does it come out? I get the impression that USC students live all over the city. Am I right? When I came out for my interview, I visted a friend in Silverlake and loved the area. It's also relatively close to campus. Do many students live there? What are some other popular areas (with good coffee shops and funky stuff)?

Thanks!

I have been looking into where the best place to live as well. They did mention that they would send out info packets on this and other subjects around June.

The closest place I found was an apartment complex about 3 blocks from campus but there is not a place to park cars off the street and it is in a kinda bad location.

...but it is VERY close and pretty cheap (1200 for a 2 bedroom).

Otherwise I heard Alhambra and South Pasadena is a good place to live

I currently work for USC and live on the westside if anyone has questions about those areas. My commute is about 35 minutes and rent is slightly higher (though you can find some steals right now since nothing is renting) and I think it's definitely worth it.

Not sure if someone has already posted this, but this link is helpful for people that may be new to the area and want a safe/affordable place to live near Keck:

http://www.usc.edu/schools/medicine/departments/dermatology/education/residency/LA_living.html

Thanks for the link Kuuaku. I know a lot of people like myself are originally from LA...so I just wanted to point out that some of the locations on there are QUITE far from the school ;)

I'd be pretty sad if I got an apartment in Manhattan beach or Marina Del Rey. It might seem like a fine commute (and I know some people do it) when you're apt hunting in the middle of a weekday and there's freakishly good traffic, but I would get SO SO burnt out of that drive, and it's definitely the last thing I would want to do before an exam or after a late night in the anatomy lab ...possibly not even the safest thing to do in the latter situation. :sleep:

Thanks for the link Kuuaku. I know a lot of people like myself are originally from LA...so I just wanted to point out that some of the locations on there are QUITE far from the school ;)

I'd be pretty sad if I got an apartment in Manhattan beach or Marina Del Rey. It might seem like a fine commute (and I know some people do it) when you're apt hunting in the middle of a weekday and there's freakishly good traffic, but I would get SO SO burnt out of that drive, and it's definitely the last thing I would want to do before an exam or after a late night in the anatomy lab ...possibly not even the safest thing to do in the latter situation. :sleep:

Good point. Living by the beach would be nice but not at the expense of a terrible commute. How about Los Feliz/Silverlake?

Good point. Living by the beach would be nice but not at the expense of a terrible commute. How about Los Feliz/Silverlake?

~15-20 minute commute down the 5, 25 on surface, 30-35 by bike. More expensive and more fun than south pass. Roughly the same commute, maybe 5 min shorter. Los Feliz is probably out of the price range. Echo Park is cheaper, good fun, but a little more ghetto. Manhattan Beach is the best beach, but it's expensive, and the commute is killer, but people do it. That said, can get there from the east side in ~35 minutes if you know the right way to go. If you're more the club than bar/coffee shop type, Hollywood is manageable, too.

I would not recommend living anywhere else (like closer to campus or downtown) because it's just boring as hell. Alternatively, you could live on the undergrad campus and take the free shuttle if you really like frat parties (and are equipped to get in).

Hey Everyone, has anyone who interviewed on February 27 heard back from uSC yet?

Just in case anyone wanted to know, I called the financial aid office, and they said awards should be going out in the next week to two weeks

Hey Everyone, has anyone who interviewed on February 27 heard back from uSC yet?

I interviewed 3/13 and no news yet. I guess this coming Friday would be six weeks for you. Hopefully there is a batch of letters out by the end of the week...and hopefully, my letter is in there too!!!! I know that may be wishful thinking but I'm very hopeful about this one :) Please post when you get a letter!

Status
Not open for further replies.